matt

Re: First ever £200+ day
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2007, 11:14:48 pm »
9 or 10 an hour they are mostly 2 or 3 bed semis and I knock for money as soon as I start the windows this gives them time to get it ready for when you finish.  If they are not in we just do the windows and leave a ticket.  I do fronts and the guy who works for me who is also quick does backs.  I have about 1200 customers all 4 weekly.  If that answers your question?

my question was about the time, 6 mins per house seems very fast to me, a 3 bed semi around me has 5 upstairs windows, thats 2 front and back on 1 on the side, thats 2 or 3 ladder climbs per house

and then the time to collect, i guess you dont "chat" to your customers much, this is my downfall, i have time for a quick chat which can turn into 5 mins easy

i would hate to see you get made a cuppa, asbestos thoat ;)

mattywig

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2007, 11:15:55 pm »
Don't believe me!  Remember that there are two of us almost exclusively doing new estate houses.  You have just said that you can do 4 an hour on your own so that would be 8 an hour for two of you.  Is it so unbelievable that there is someone out there 15% faster than you?  Knocking after you have finished windows wastes time that why I knock as I am cleaning them and 4 to 5 mins for 3 windows on a front is probably about right I would say.  Never mind

mattywig

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2007, 11:19:14 pm »
your right! I keep the crack short and sweet and prefer the odd drink of pop to a coffee!  Id have no tonsils left otherwise!!!!!

darren72

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2007, 11:38:03 pm »
In part of my round ive got a housing estate with about 180 terraced houses i can do it easily in 4 days traditional it all depends on the types of houses.

oldbeeches

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2007, 01:11:05 am »
10 per hour ,6 hours a day,= 60 a day 5 days a week = 300 times 4weeks =1200

you must be the only guy on this site with 1200 identical houses

my prices range from £500 down to £4

Paul Coleman

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2007, 05:29:58 am »
Glad to here that some of my fellow w/cleaning Brethren are getting a wage that they fully deserve. I hope every one on the forum can knock out a £200 day if they work hard. You have to have your work priced correctly though for this to happen.

Never mind giving the excuse that customers wont pay a higher price round where you live. If that really is the case venture into a diffrent area. Local villages ,even if they are 50 miles away.

I got a new customer yesterday £45.00. I am £20.00 more expensive then her current  trad w/c. I told her if she wants to save money stick with her current w/c BUT the fact that she as asked me for a price not the other way round shows she is willing to pay for the job to be done properly.

I live in an area where most w/c are as cheap as chips. Not me, I know what I am worth and I charge what I see is a Fair price for the very professional sevice I give. I have been a w/c since 1980 and my round is expanding like mad at the momment due to wfp.

My mate holds the record round here for the most earned in a day between my freinds. The record stands at £506.00 at the momment. This is for earnings by one person in a day on domestic work.

Its not made up, the lad did a very long day working at high speed. He was wrecked at the end of the day.

I will be aiming to beat it in July as I am manovering some accounts around for just one big 12 hour day. I will be targeting £550.00 all domestic. No breaks all day. I will just go flat out and eat on the move.

Nel

£506?  That sounds great but not if he needed to take the next day off to recover.  (Wasn't it someone called Archie?).  I have managed £284 for an 8 and a half hour day but that is still exceptional for me.  Need to get the rest of my business priced up like that but that may take a while.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2007, 06:35:54 am »
10 houses an hour I don't believe, not even for two people, I completely agree with Matt, that isn't 6 mins a house though, it's got to be more like 4 mins, maybe even less than than that to achieve those kind of figures in 6 hours, I'm very well aware of time & motion studies, and new estates or not, not all houses are the same, you still have to relate to customers, write out whatever kind of chit/invoice you use, negotiate obstacles, locked gates, flower beds and so on and so forth. not forgetting that you have to move between houses and between streets too.
No one is going to have work so compact that they have 60 houses, day in, day out all next door to one another!
no allowances either for tea breaks, lunch breaks or time to answer the call of nature, these things all have to happen.
I don't even believe you could knock out 60 houses in 6 hours on even the odd day where things go perfectly.

If you had said you had plenty of large, well priced work I could just about believe those earning figures, or at least have given you the benefit of the doubt.

And as I said in my earlier post, those figures put you way over the VAT limit too, even allowing for lost time due to bad weather and holidays, you would have quarterly figures that would make registering for VAT a necessity.

The vast majority of window cleaners turn over less than 20k per year, more along the lines of 17 or 18k.
Sole traders doing 50k plus are very rare on the ground, and sole traders that are earning above 60k are even rarer, those that are doing so will have a large element of commercial work.
The very few that might manage those figures on domestic work won't be doing so on £6.00 semi's.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Paul Coleman

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2007, 07:44:20 am »
& you're right matt, there's nowt wrong wi 30 quid an hour, it's just that when talking about earnings, i think it's important for us all that we're honest & not to take a "best days ever earnings" & flowt it about on here as if it's what is being earned day in day out.
This isn't aimed at anyone in paticular either.

tony

Quite agreed.  Although my best ever day was not far off £300, there are (short) days when I feel lazy and don't even reach £100.  My problem is that because I use WFP, the workload that used to be a full one for me  now gives me the equivalent of two weeks off in every six.  I reckon that if I had a full workload, I could comfortably sustain around the £170 mark with a fair number of days over £200.  My body tends to suffer a bit if I try too much.  I suppose that's a legacy of being 50 and not having looked after myself so well.
I remember some years ago I had a very good year by (my) trad standards.  I ended up needing acupressure treatment for months as I had overdone it.  I don't see the point of earning loads and going through that pain.  I would rather take less and feel more comfortable with myself.

mattywig

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2007, 11:03:56 pm »
I didn't join the conversation about daily earnings to be called a liar I joined it to see if I could do better but I see there is no need.  Carry on plodding on like the little nougat you are Ian I'm sure your 50 quid a day will suit you fine!

Cheers for confidence boost.

P.S anyone need advice on how to make less than minimum wage contact Ian.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2007, 11:30:25 pm »
That's quite amusing actually mate, because I've seen Ian do your daily takings in 2 hours. ;D

It's not my place to disclose his earnings, but it sometimes absolutely dwarfs your days. ;)

I do hope he tells you his best day... ;D

mattywig

« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2007, 11:59:44 pm »
I believe you to be right I hope Ian does dwarf my earnings and I would love him to let me know as it would give me something new to work toward.  However I would not dispute what he said or say that it was not possible I would be respectful and interested in how he did it.  However he hasn't given me the same courtesy and so he is still a nouggat! ;D

macmac

« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2007, 12:06:03 am »
Mattywig
After giving your post more thought i now think your quoted earnings are acheivable. My doubt is that you could maintain this rate day in day out.
This is a genuine doubt & not meant to be disrespectfull or anything.

tony

ValueValeting

« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2007, 12:08:05 am »
[

I ended up needing acupressure treatment for months as I had overdone it.  I don't see the point of earning loads and going through that pain.  I would rather take less and feel more comfortable with myself.

Chap

You're not that far away from littlehampton - if you get any problems like that again go and see this guy http://www.drtwpetersmd.co.uk/

mattywig

« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2007, 12:18:36 am »
Ian.   are you honestly telling me that you cant clean 3 or 4 windows in 4 minutes??? Thats what most of my fronts and backs have on them flat windows as I said I have lots of very compact work on new developments often 30+ houses per street, I park up and never move my van in a day.  I try to price at roughly 80 to 90p per window.  If two good window cleaners cant average 55 quid an hour on that then they are doing something wrong.  i wish you could see the sort of rounds im talking about I hate to bang on but i need to stress that im not lieing and would see know point in doing so.  

Anyways hope you will share your secret as the reason I posted my comment was that I hoped people like you were dwarfing my earnings and they would share their secrets as my 3 mates earn over 100k per annum but do so by starting work on commercial at 4am each morning and don't get home till 5 and im just not prepared to do those sort of hours.

AAAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!! I hate not being believed damm it!

AAAAAARRRGHHHHH!! I hate

ValueValeting

« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2007, 12:22:08 am »

AAAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!! I hate not being believed damm it!

AAAAAARRRGHHHHH!! I hate
Don't believe you ;D

mattywig

« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2007, 12:24:37 am »
cheers tony!!! and you are right there are days that I get stopped short of doing my six hours im not a robot i.e rain/fone call from the wife!!!!!.  However I make it a priority to never let my hourly rate drop for instance yesterday in the northeast got rained off at 1pm did £215 quid in the four hours we did.

Thanks again I was beginning to regret registering with this site!!!  I only did to find out ways to improve there is soooo much to this window cleaning malarccy!!!! ;D ;D

macmac

« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2007, 12:28:13 am »
Earnings are always a touchy subject on here, where abouts in north east?

tony

Paul Coleman

« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2007, 04:38:32 am »
[

I ended up needing acupressure treatment for months as I had overdone it.  I don't see the point of earning loads and going through that pain.  I would rather take less and feel more comfortable with myself.

Chap

You're not that far away from littlehampton - if you get any problems like that again go and see this guy http://www.drtwpetersmd.co.uk/

Thanks for that.  I've saved it into my favourites.  Hopefully I will never need such a service again but the probability is that I will one day.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2007, 06:46:42 am »
Matty, Rog is right, I do have a couple of days where I earn very, very good money indeed, but that just happens to be very well priced work that I used to do trad, and that I now do in half the time due to WFP...actually, what took me 4 hours or 5 hours now takes me just over an hour in one instance.
I don't bang on about it (earnings wise) because it is atypical.

Can I clean 4 windows in 4 minutes, each window having..say...4 panes?
With WFP certainly, no argument there, and I'll throw in the frames and sills too in that time.
Could I do that trad?
In short, no, and I doubt many others could either.
Like many of us on here I am a quick window cleaner, but you still have to position your ladder, clinb it, clean window, climb down ladder and move to the next window.
You then have to clean the two downstairs windows, you might, just might manage to do two windows with 4 panes per window in a minute apiece, but you would be motoring. Not all windows are straight forward to clean, even the best of us have to detail some panes, and sills have to be wiped.
Not all windows are easy to get too, not all windows can be done without use of a pointer ladder (or at least a ladder of some description)
And you still have to move between houses, knock doors, collect money, write out invoices.
Some customers will talk to you, even if it is only to pass the time of day while they ferret around in their purse for the money, or write you out a cheque.

Not all windows are going to be identical, new build houses (at least around here) are often 3 floor affairs, over time, people have conservatories, extensions, patio doors, leaded style panes.
Over the years I have done plenty of time and motion studies, to get the most out those who have worked for me I found it essential to work out these things.

I would love you to make me eat my words, and I would also be more than happy to come on here to tell all that I was wrong and that you really can do all you say you can, I might even be persuaded to come and watch you for a day, lets face it, that's the best way for you to make me eat dirt.

There was another guy some time back who claimed he was like lightning, few of us believed him at the time, but someone went along and watched him in action and he proved he was as good as his word.
So I know there are people out there who can truly fly!

But 60 houses in 6 hours?

I'm sorry, but I'd need to see it with my own eyes to believe it Matty.

A sole trader will do a standard semi with 10 windows, start to finish, (walking up path, cleaning, knocking on door to collect money, walking down path) in 15 to 20 minutes.
THAT is a reasonable target time.

3 or 4 an hour is possible for Mr Average Window Cleaner, if he can average 4 an hour he is doing very well indeed, most will be lucky to average 3 an hour, and that would be on pretty compact work too.

In this by the way I am talking trad, not WFP, and of work done to a good standard.

time to get to work!

Where in the Northeast are you Matty?
Maybe I could skive a day off to come watch you and the guy who works for you in action sometime??
Prove me wrong and I'll buy you and your mate a pint at the end of the day ;)

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

neil100

« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2007, 08:49:20 am »
Mattywig,

For what its worth I beleive you.

I find too many w/cleaners judge what another w/c do or how fast he can work based soley on their own speed or w/c they know.

To earn the money you have stated you need first of all need the prices to be right, Your prices are spot on, you need the round to be compact so your not traveling between streets or diffrent areas wasting earning time, Spot on again.

You dont waste time by knocking for the money when you have finnished the house and waiting for the customer to find their purse.

You must have fast hand speed and fast climbing and descending ladder speed, I was very Fast as a Trad w/c but it was my speed on the ladder that made me a lot faster then many w/c I have watched and I could keep that tempo up for a 5 day week.

I have even worn my heart rate monitor to check what my average heart rate was whilst I was working. My heart rate never went above 110 all day. So if you are fairly fit you can crack on for a full day no problem. Just to compare I can run a 10k road race with my heart rate averaging 168 bpm. I am 49 and fit as a butchers dog.

On a normal day I never earn below £250 and thats going at a nice steady pace all day. All my work this week if the rain lets me get a full day in will net me over £300 a day.

I am a sole trader who earns over the £50,000.00 a year mark. I dont try to shoot people down just because they write down how fast they are or how much they earn. I dont view them or me as bragging, I take the view if they are as fast as they say they are then I can be as well, If that person is earning that much then I know I can earn that much as well. It should inspire us all to be more efficent or to run our w/c Buisness in a more Proficient way to maximise potentiol earnings. It should not bring out our negative side were we start to cast dispersions on a persons character due to our own shortcomings.

If a w/c posts on here that he earns 100k a year, I would give him a silent toast and say good for you, well done. It would not upset me in the slightest that someone earns more then me.

I was hoping to cut back my work next year to give me more free time but less earnings, But due to how expensive houseing as become I am going to work hard for a few more years to help my lads get on the houseing market.

Lets just be willing to give credit to someone who works hard and a little trust hey boys.

Nel.