Jay Le Huray

3 weeks now
« on: April 12, 2020, 09:22:51 am »
I've now been self isolation for the past 3 weeks now and I have to be honest I'm really p****d off with it.
Unfortunately I can't risk going to work because my wife has COPD and I'm 67 too'

I have worked all my life since I left school at 15 years old, never been on the social and always paid my taxes etc.

In all my years I've never know anything like we are going through at this present time, yes we had different governments, recessions   and even wars, but this ??

When I left the army in 1975 I took on a job as a milkman and in the afternoon I went out and did a bit of window cleaning for my customers just to help pay the mortgage. A year or so later I left the dairy and went full time cleaning and started  a good business employing 2 young lads.

During this period there were good times and bad times but we just cracked on and worked though it but we never saw anything as near as what we are currently witnessing.

I work because I choose to and not though needs, however I have never been so bored in all my life and hope that this virus gets sorted out so we can all get back to normal.

Most people would say, "what about hobbies"  yes I do have 2 hobbies, one is motorbikes the other is a passion for antiques neither can be pursued at the moment.

Good luck guys whether you are working or not and most importantly            STAY SAFE

G Griffin

Re: 3 weeks now
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 09:47:51 am »
Hang in there, Jay.
I've done three weeks, too, and I have thought about going back but I don't know whether I should or not.
I don't know whether it'll do more harm than good. At least the gardens look a bit tidier.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 09:54:20 am »
Hang in there, Jay.
I've done three weeks, too, and I have thought about going back but I don't know whether I should or not.
I don't know whether it'll do more harm than good. At least the gardens look a bit tidier.

Ditto G, I have been able to buy a few things on fleabay to improve our garden, it's never looked so good as it does now LOL

NWH

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 10:00:15 am »
Hang in there, Jay.
Doing a bit of gardening then,that’s all I’m doing when I go to work still just walking round a garden colouring in windows 🤣

AuRavelling79

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 10:22:02 am »
Hang in there, Jay.

Ditto G, I have been able to buy a few things on fleabay to improve our garden, it's never looked so good as it does now LOL

Hi Jay. Some hobby ideas.

If like me, all you can do is start up your motorbike and not run it - unless you count a little run for a couple of miles (hardly worth it) to obtain an essential item then how about doing something else.

There is a site called Duolingo which is great for learning a foreign language. I started learning a language back in December with a bit of night school but that is postponed and Duolingo is a life saver.

Now I am a nerd - order an Airfix kit from their UK site - at the moment the on-line shop is open. Don't forget your paint and glue. Hours of nerdy fun!

Even worse - a model railway - get on the Hornby site and buy that Flying Scotsman set you always wanted. Build a baseboard and make a station and village for it to run through. Toot Toot!

Now antiques - I've had good fun with my brother's help (nerd emperor of the universe) in getting an 80 year old electric office wall clock  working again. It sits in my office and "clunks" every 30 seconds.

If that doesn't work there is always beer in the garden with a chimnea going in the evening.

Enjoy!

It's a game of three halves!

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 10:34:37 am »
Hang in there, Jay.

Hi Jay. Some hobby ideas.

If like me, all you can do is start up your motorbike and not run it - unless you count a little run for a couple of miles (hardly worth it) to obtain an essential item then how about doing something else.

There is a site called Duolingo which is great for learning a foreign language. I started learning a language back in December with a bit of night school but that is postponed and Duolingo is a life saver.

Now I am a nerd - order an Airfix kit from their UK site - at the moment the on-line shop is open. Don't forget your paint and glue. Hours of nerdy fun!

Even worse - a model railway - get on the Hornby site and buy that Flying Scotsman set you always wanted. Build a baseboard and make a station and village for it to run through. Toot Toot!

Now antiques - I've had good fun with my brother's help (nerd emperor of the universe) in getting an 80 year old electric office wall clock  working again. It sits in my office and "clunks" every 30 seconds.

If that doesn't work there is always beer in the garden with a chimnea going in the evening.

Enjoy!

some good ideas there, like the idea of making models I think I will look up airfix motorcycles

combat1

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 11:12:56 am »
Hi Jay,
Similar to you mate, at home.
69 now and at the moment banned by my partner. I have a 11 year old son so plenty to do, camped out in the garden last night! Plus the usual gardening and house chores.
It’s great to have the Family time but enjoy the job, running the business etc and want to work as well.
My partner is still working, finishes at 2 so maybe looking at 2/3 hours when she gets home.
Government guidelines are pretty clear now but have requested the official ok from Government- see what comes back.
Good posts- I’m going to start french again, thanks.
All the best everyone, Happy Easter.
How big is Dazmonds Easter Egg?!!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 11:26:10 am »
Jay - a tip - Airfix is more aircraft and ships; Revell and others might do motorbikes.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 11:29:59 am »
Hi Jay,
69 now and at the moment banned by my partner. I have a 11 year old son so plenty to do, camped out in the garden last night! Plus the usual gardening and house chores.
It’s great to have the Family time but enjoy the job, running the business etc and want to work as well.
My partner is still working, finishes at 2 so maybe looking at 2/3 hours when she gets home.
Government guidelines are pretty clear now but have requested the official ok from Government- see what comes back.

Your son will remember and treasure "camping in the garden" in decades to come. My youngest is home from Uni in London at the moment due to CV and its been a blessing in disguise.

Yesterday we even got her old bike out the garage and dusted it off. First time in about ten years since she went on a bike ride with her old dad up the Avon gorge to Bristol Dockside and back!

combat1

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 01:38:50 pm »
That’s really good, having the time is wonderful. We are certainly making the most of it, like you.
Even Home Schooling was fun!

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 03:55:03 pm »
Hi Jay,
Hi Combat, so I'm not the oldest window cleaner in the world, when do you contemplate retiring? 

combat1

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2020, 04:34:55 pm »
Hi Jay,  cheeky!
I won’t be retiring by choice mate, got a younger partner and a young son, But and it may upset some on here! I don’t want to, enjoy the challenge and variety. Been doing Joe Wicks so might manage to keep going a bit longer ha ha.

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2020, 04:52:27 pm »
Hi Jay,  cheeky!
I won’t be retiring by choice mate, got a younger partner and a young son, But and it may upset some on here! I don’t want to, enjoy the challenge and variety. Been doing Joe Wicks so might manage to keep going a bit longer ha ha.

yeah know what you mean, I have no intention of giving up as I really do enjoy working, I will only stop when I can no longer physically do the job, hopefully at least another 5 years

Spruce

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 05:02:48 pm »
I've now been self isolation for the past 3 weeks now and I have to be honest I'm really p****d off with it.
Unfortunately I can't risk going to work because my wife has COPD and I'm 67 too'

I have worked all my life since I left school at 15 years old, never been on the social and always paid my taxes etc.

In all my years I've never know anything like we are going through at this present time, yes we had different governments, recessions   and even wars, but this ??

When I left the army in 1975 I took on a job as a milkman and in the afternoon I went out and did a bit of window cleaning for my customers just to help pay the mortgage. A year or so later I left the dairy and went full time cleaning and started  a good business employing 2 young lads.

During this period there were good times and bad times but we just cracked on and worked though it but we never saw anything as near as what we are currently witnessing.

I work because I choose to and not though needs, however I have never been so bored in all my life and hope that this virus gets sorted out so we can all get back to normal.

Most people would say, "what about hobbies"  yes I do have 2 hobbies, one is motorbikes the other is a passion for antiques neither can be pursued at the moment.

Good luck guys whether you are working or not and most importantly            STAY SAFE

Unfortunately we are at that vulnerable age (around 70) and can't take chances with our own health or life.
I'm also self isolating, mainly to keep away from some younger ones who aren't taking this virus seriously.

There was a report that this could go on for years. The Spanish flu, although not the same, went on for 3 years killing people and they were practising 'herd immunization'. They didn't know it was called that and they also hadn't heard of self isolation or flattening the curve.

I have asked myself if I will ever get back to work, and if we do, what will our window cleaning round look like. We have a large number of over 70 customers on our round. If my son and I have to self isolate well into the future, how will this work? We certainly won't be able to work together. 

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Stoots

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2020, 05:33:43 pm »
Yes its getting a bit crap now, dying to get my motorbike out for a blast in the sunshine

Feck you corona

MrChurchMouse

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2020, 05:37:43 pm »
I haven't been working since the lockdown began either.  In my case I'm not really getting bored at home as I'm introverted by nature anyway plus I have several interests I can still do without going out like gaming and writing.  Can appreciate it must be pretty boring for a lot of people though. 

No Ladders

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2020, 10:29:59 am »
Hi Jay. My partner has COPD too. Ive had 3 hart attacks to. I phone my customers night before. I have put more on bacs or they leave payment in envelope somewhere.

I might speck to couple customers through closed window but most just wave to me.

It's a worry but down here I hardly see anyone. For me the worry be when they start lifting the restrictions is when people start coming out again.

I'm deffenatly not going to be shacking hands again and wont take coffee's of customers again.

Stay safe mate, I understand your thoughts.

dazmond

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2020, 10:38:48 am »
Personally I dont think we re gonna be able to stop this disease so its gonna get to a point where everybody will have to just go back to work and get on on with their lives and try and be safe as possible......

My dads now back home after 2 weeks in hospital.....so he s survived coronavirus with stage 4 lung cancer!so most people will get over it.....without dying....

price higher/work harder!

Dave Willis

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2020, 10:43:09 am »
Do you think you’re  one of those ‘most people’ Dazmond?

Granny

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2020, 10:53:16 am »
Spain and Italy are resuming construction / manufacturing but they are about 2 - 3 weeks ahead of us so I think this Thursday we will get an extension to lockdown.
Like any crisis it brings out the best and the worst in people. Two good, regular payers have skipped payment and are ignoring requests to pay. I can understand they may be hard up but they could at least explain.
On the other hand got a text from a customer "Hi hope you're both OK. Don't know if you are cleaning windows still, we expect you aren't but just to let you know we won't cancel the regular payment and look forwards to seeing you again."