Neil Gornall

FAO, Andrew Willis. New HSE rules.
« on: November 15, 2012, 12:20:06 pm »
I had an email today from a company I deal with. just wondered what your view on it is and whether you can see any impact on the industry.
>
>
>

FEE FOR INTERVENTION

As you may be aware already the Government has reduced its funding towards the Health & Safety industry by £40,000,000 a year, so in response to this huge cut back the industry must now largely fund itself and the way they are doing this is by making  unannounced visits to places of business and being extremely attentive to finding fault. It is understandable that to maintain a perfectly safe environment in some industries is near impossible to do 7 days a week all year round so a daily routine check by a responsible member of staff can assist in order to prevent any repercussions because they have begun to take action on what some may consider very minor offences. Here is some information you should find very useful in regards to this subject

What you need to know     

1.    What is FFI? When HSE Inspectors find a ‘material breach’ of health and safety law that they have to investigate and follow up in writing the business owner will have to pay a fee.
2.    What is a material breach? A contravention of the law necessitating a written report by the inspector (includes improvement and prohibition notices).

e.g.     missing guards on machinery.
           Presence of asbestos in damaged condition
           Hazardous substances
           Leaking machinery.
                 Fire safety equipment (tampered with)
                       Clear signage to fire exits
                       Eating facilities and restroom cleanliness

3.    Why is it being introduced? The Government believe that businesses breaking the law necessitating HSE involvement should pay for their time in either helping putting it right or taking enforcement action.
4.    When is it being introduced? 1st October 2012 in England, Wales and Scotland (no date present for NI and not in EIRE)
5.    What will it cost ? The whole of the inspectors time in dealing with the material breach is chargeable at £124 per hour

The HSE predicts that a standard inspection visit:

resulting in a letter will be charged at £750
resulting in a notice being issued will be charged at £1,500

We understand this is a major adjustment for a lot of  businesses to take on board so we are happy to assist with any enquiries to clear up those grey areas if you would like to know more and how to ensure your business is as secure as possible don’t hesitate to call.

Tom Kelly

Re: FAO, Andrew Willis. New HSE rules.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 12:24:07 pm »
He's working from home today, so I'll make sure he takes a look at this! :)

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 02:45:43 pm »
I had an email today from a company I deal with. just wondered what your view on it is and whether you can see any impact on the industry.
>
>
>

FEE FOR INTERVENTION

As you may be aware already the Government has reduced its funding towards the Health & Safety industry by £40,000,000 a year, so in response to this huge cut back the industry must now largely fund itself and the way they are doing this is by making  unannounced visits to places of business and being extremely attentive to finding fault. It is understandable that to maintain a perfectly safe environment in some industries is near impossible to do 7 days a week all year round so a daily routine check by a responsible member of staff can assist in order to prevent any repercussions because they have begun to take action on what some may consider very minor offences. Here is some information you should find very useful in regards to this subject

What you need to know     

1.    What is FFI? When HSE Inspectors find a ‘material breach’ of health and safety law that they have to investigate and follow up in writing the business owner will have to pay a fee.
2.    What is a material breach? A contravention of the law necessitating a written report by the inspector (includes improvement and prohibition notices).

Hazardous substances
           Leaking machinery.

3.    Why is it being introduced? The Government believe that businesses breaking the law necessitating HSE involvement should pay for their time in either helping putting it right or taking enforcement action.
4.    When is it being introduced? 1st October 2012 in England, Wales and Scotland (no date present for NI and not in EIRE)
5.    What will it cost ? The whole of the inspectors time in dealing with the material breach is chargeable at £124 per hour

We understand this is a major adjustment for a lot of  businesses to take on board so we are happy to assist with any enquiries to clear up those grey areas if you would like to know more and how to ensure your business is as secure as possible don’t hesitate to call.

Neil,

I have been watching the developments over the last two years towards this.

I feel this is a great step forward for the industry.

Most of the commercial companies I come into contact with on a regular basis will not be affected as they are already working within compliance of the law.

I am also pleased that a lot of sole traders that have been on the course in the last couple of years, and in particular the last year within the changes we have made to the courses will not have much to worry about.

The key is having an understanding of the law
Not working from flat roofs
Correct signage and positioning of cones and signs
Creating safety zones
Working within law and health and safety guidance
This includes ladder and water fed pole

What’s going to effect a lot of the Clean It Up sole traders is not having clear understanding of what’s right and wrong.

You only have to look at some of the posts we get about the course and Impact to see a lot of these traders are going to have problems.

You can’t make sound decisions if you don’t have the correct information.

What is for sure, the policing of compliance will get stricter.

The HSE and the EHO in particular will have a revenue stream, this will create a proactive drive in enforcement.

If you get caught working unsafely it’s going to cost you as cleaner.

I am sure already your reading between the lines, they are going to be a lot more vigilant.   

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 02:48:32 pm »
>
>
>

FEE FOR INTERVENTION

What you need to know     

Hazardous substances
           Leaking machinery.

Neil,

Most of the commercial companies I come into contact with on a regular basis will not be affected as they are already working within compliance of the law.

I am also pleased that a lot of sole traders that have been on the course in the last couple of years, and in particular the last year within the changes we have made to the courses will not have much to worry about.

Creating safety zones

What’s going to effect a lot of the Clean It Up sole traders is not having clear understanding of what’s right and wrong.

You only have to look at some of the posts we get about the course and Impact to see a lot of these traders are going to have problems.

The HSE and the EHO in particular will have a revenue stream, this will create a proactive drive in enforcement.

I am sure already your reading between the lines, they are going to be a lot more vigilant.   

Also Neil, this will encourage the duty holders (property owners) to support the window cleaning industry to provide sufficient funding within contract values so as to provide the correct contract values so we can work safely.

It’s just not that difficult really

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 02:51:17 pm »
>
>
>

FEE FOR INTERVENTION

What you need to know     

Hazardous substances
           Leaking machinery.

Neil,

Creating safety zones

Also Neil, this will encourage the duty holders (property owners) to support the window cleaning industry to provide sufficient funding within contract values so as to provide the correct contract values so we can work safely.

It’s just not that difficult really

It's this simple
http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/trainingcoursesfull.php?id=55

Steve Sed

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 03:29:57 pm »
What is the problem with working off 1st floor flat roofs as long as ladder is safe and roof good and care taken?

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 03:31:22 pm »
What is the problem with working off 1st floor flat roofs as long as ladder is safe and roof good and care taken?

Rest my case  ::)

Neil Gornall

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 04:58:27 pm »
Thanks Andrew.
It will be interesting to see how it develops but knowing how most of these things work they will use it to their advantage and start jumping on people to keep themselves employed.
Its a bit like speed cameras, we are told they are there for safety but we all know income is a major factor.
Better get my safety check forms up to date, and buy some more cones   ;)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 05:22:38 pm »

Walked into that one Steve! ;D
It's a game of three halves!

Dave Willis

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 05:39:14 pm »
Which is safer - working from a flat roof or working from a ladder?

Steve Sed

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 05:48:56 pm »

Walked into that one Steve! ;D
Not at all. He stated NO working off of flat roofs. That is a big statement to make so I would like to know why HSE is wrong and he is right. HSE don't state NO working off flat roofs.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg284.pdf

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 05:53:59 pm »
I would also like to know why working from a flat roof is more dangerous than working from a platform.

Steve Sed

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 05:59:20 pm »
To be honest though, I do get irritated by a spammer who benefits financially from some of the extreme 'elf and safety nonsense telling us how we are all doomed idiots.

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 06:02:03 pm »
Health and Safety is not nonsense. It has helped to save many lives.

However when Health and Safety becomes a revenue stream questions have to be asked about motives

Steve Sed

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 06:04:17 pm »
Health and Safety is not nonsense. It has helped to save many lives.

However when Health and Safety becomes a revenue stream questions have to be asked about motives

Which is why I used theword extreme.

Quite.

Nick Wareham

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 06:09:07 pm »
For me, the amazing Andy Willis and his crew lost all credibility when he wrote in that article that people using waterfed pole, even in a private street, should courdon off the area below the pole in case it falls and hurts someone, and this was the law.

It clearly is NOT the law, and is just them scare mongering.  I think he said that he thought that because of this that 90% of waterfed polers were breaking the law.

If this is the level of regulation they are pushing for then they should disappear back to whatever it was they were doing before they realised they could claim a fat cheque from the government for every window cleaner they get to go on their course.

trevor perry

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 06:25:18 pm »
For me, the amazing Andy Willis and his crew lost all credibility when he wrote in that article that people using waterfed pole, even in a private street, should courdon off the area below the pole in case it falls and hurts someone, and this was the law.

It clearly is NOT the law, and is just them scare mongering.  I think he said that he thought that because of this that 90% of waterfed polers were breaking the law.

If this is the level of regulation they are pushing for then they should disappear back to whatever it was they were doing before they realised they could claim a fat cheque from the government for every window cleaner they get to go on their course.

hi Nick
    i am currently in the middle of the impact 43 course and firmly disagree with cordoning off the fall area of the pole but when you say it is not the law this can depend on how you interpret the law because as andrew showed it is our responsibility to prevent any falling objects and if the pole falls and was to hit someone it could be argued we did not take enough precautions, my argument was that if we was hold of the pole then surely that would be classed as a reasonable precaution, i could understand if a pole was left extended and unatended being a risk. i could understand maybe having a banksman are cordoning offwhen using poles over 50ft to warn pedestrians and this is something i have already done in the past but surely for poles smaller than this the risk is miniscule
     This is what worries me about these checks and has already been mentioned in that they will be used as a way to raise revenue and lots of little hitlers will be wandering about interpreting the law in a way that suits them just to raise funds
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

DG Cleaning

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 06:32:43 pm »
There's no problem at all with working on flat 1st floor roofs in the vast majority of cases. However there is under health and safety law in this country. So reality now becomes a bit more removed from legislation. Health & Safety used correctly will save lives no doubt whatsoever. The question is are we using it correctly? IMO absolutely not. We are creating legislation for the sake of it.

matthewprice

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 07:08:02 pm »
saw today a scafold rail around a flat roof less than 15 feet from the ground so that an ajoining small wall could be coated ,guyes were a long way from the edge .made me wonder what safety measures we should use when working from a flat roof  ???

Steve Sed

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 07:18:42 pm »
saw today a scafold rail around a flat roof less than 15 feet from the ground so that an ajoining small wall could be coated ,guyes were a long way from the edge .made me wonder what safety measures we should use when working from a flat roof  ???

According to HSE guidelines a securely attached lanyard, but according to my wife there is always "reasonable and practicable" exception and cleaning one window above a flat roof on someone elses property would be one of those. No doubt some will argue, but when you look at likelihood and impact, you would have to be pretty odd to see the necessity for a lanyard tethered to your customer's property.