daz1977

other uses of pure water
« on: April 02, 2010, 02:53:42 pm »
this is a litle bit off topic,  but what does pure water do to van body paint, as some times at end of day i will wash my van to run off the water and parts of the van are fading, is this becasue of the pure water,  also if i put pure water in my windscreen washer will it keep it cleaner for longer

formb

Mike #1

Re: other uses of pure water
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 05:18:52 pm »
the paint work is been damaged because the water is di-ionised you should never wash any van or car with pure water once the paint is damaged you will be very very lucky to be able to repair the paint work without a respray

Mike #1

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 05:21:34 pm »
;D ;D ;D ;D
also if i put pure water in my windscreen washer will it keep it cleaner for longer
;D ;D ;D

Bye.
you should'nt use any detergent cleaner on paintwork either this also damages paintwork over time get some proper car shampoo like meguiars gold class

darragh windows

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 09:54:05 pm »
the paint work is been damaged because the water is di-ionised you should never wash any van or car with pure water once the paint is damaged you will be very very lucky to be able to repair the paint work without a respray

i thought ionics sold systems for car washing
jamie

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 10:24:51 pm »
I'm not sure about this...Many car wash places now use RO....

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 10:26:31 pm »
As for other uses.
Use it in your steam iron if like me you live in a hard water area.
Your steam iron will last much much longer, before it needed replacing every year. And you won't get lumps of scale falling out

Dave Willis

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 10:30:38 pm »
Load of bunkum - pure water is just that, very clean water. Rainwater is only just below it on the tds scale. Don't see many people complaining about rain burning through their paintwork or fizzing through their t shirts  ???

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 10:34:42 pm »

;D ;D ;D

Don't you just love this forum :D

Mike #1

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 06:49:23 am »
ionics do sell a unit which you can use to rinse of the car but it strips the wax of the car if you have ocd when it comes to car cleaning like me i would'nt use anything thing other than car shampoo to clean ;D

pure tech

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 07:29:08 am »
I do the windows at an automotive spraypainters offices and they have their own DI set up. They require purified water for certain painting processes.

Dave Willis

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 07:31:28 am »
Paint stripping no doubt.  ;)

G Griffin

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 07:41:10 am »
Paint stripping no doubt.  ;)

;D Yeah look what it does to bird muck  ::)
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Ian_Giles

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 08:22:13 am »
I've used it on my van for almost 5 years now, no difference whatsoever with regards to the paintwork.
As has been said, it's almost the same purity as rain water.

Zero tds does not mean that that it is water without any dissolved solids in it at all, merely that measured in parts per million it is pure, if you measured it in parts per billion your meter would show a very different reading.

When a meter shows water with something like zero parts per BILLION you then have water that is incredibly pure, and will - for instance - only begin to freeze at several decrees below freezing.

The way some people talk anyone would think that pure water is bloody battery acid!
Most vehicles I believe have a clear layer on top of the actual paint, so to get through to the paint you would have to first get through this....try doing that with something like T-cut!....it'll hardly touch it.
and as for stripping off the wax coating you polish your car with...I understand that the hard wearing stuff is often silicone based??
You can also get stuff to spray onto a windscreen to repel water, and no amount of washing with either purified water or water with detergent in it will get it off, so I really can't see pure water affecting car polish that has a silicone type base.

Ian.
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

elite mike

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 09:01:33 am »
hi ian

i used to clean my car with pure water, and have now stopped.

because, i noticed that when it rained it was not beading any more :o

i have always used silicone based polish,

but i dont want to start an argument  ;D

mike

cleewindows

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 09:02:15 am »
it leaves caravans looking like new

Dave Willis

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 09:07:01 am »
Mike, when you clean your car with pure water I bet you use a brush on your pole?
When you clean with tap water I expect you use a sponge with shampoo in a bucket of hot water yes?

elite mike

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 01:08:39 pm »
Mike, when you clean your car with pure water I bet you use a brush on your pole?
When you clean with tap water I expect you use a sponge with shampoo in a bucket of hot water yes?

yep but i just use morning fresh ;D

not shampoo

G Griffin

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 01:24:05 pm »

Where did you get his information from?
Trad cleaner?  ;D
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Mike #1

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 03:28:49 pm »
we are talking about car or van paintwork which is easy to damage using the wrong product for the job i spend about 6 hrs  a week on my car and spend a lot of money on buying the right cleaning and waxing products for my car di ionised water will leave a spot free finish on car paintwork but over a prolonged period of time it will dull  the paintwork ,  and just let you know i have been cleaning windows for 14yrs now 12yrs trad and 2yrs wfp ,  Also about 2wks ago someone here posted how they have been washing their van with their wfp system and the work has started to go powdery   

Mike #1

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 03:35:56 pm »
this how your will look with the right cleaning products

formb

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2010, 03:44:11 pm »

Aw bless, I bet its your sisters car
 ;D

Mike #1

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2010, 03:48:35 pm »
got no sister what do mean by that anyway this is the car i use for work

chopsie

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2010, 03:51:49 pm »

Aw bless, I bet its your sisters car
 ;D

;D ;D ;D
chopsie

formb

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2010, 04:10:27 pm »
got no sister what do mean by that anyway this is the car i use for work

Mans Wheels:

Mike #1

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2010, 04:33:45 pm »
very nice mate not as shinnnnyyyyyyyy as mine though mate lol wife always hinting on for landrover neighbour has 2 one day mate one day

Cheap Skate

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2010, 04:38:44 pm »
i spend about 6 hrs  a week on my car and spend a lot of money on buying the right cleaning and waxing products for my car

Thats a condition called OCD

Mike #1

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2010, 04:45:34 pm »
as it happens mate i have occd obsessive car cleaning disorder not a bad thing wife just wishes i had the enthusiasim with the housework

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2010, 05:18:33 pm »
Water direct from the RO makes brilliant tea. (i.e Without running through the DI.)

You need to get used to the taste. It might taste a little thin to begin with as you miss the taste of the chlorine and other stuff in tap water. Then, as your palette gets used to tasting the tea, you'll really love it.

G Griffin

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2010, 05:23:18 pm »

I bet it won`t. You`ve not seen mine  ;D  :-[
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Mike #1

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2010, 07:54:50 am »
you're  right wally it does its better than britta filtered

traps7

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2010, 07:02:33 pm »
I always wash my van and car with Ro water. It's fine and means you don't need to shammy afterwards, which is especially useful if you have a black car.

Other uses are steam irons as already said and Marine fish tanks.

Stevie G

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2010, 03:11:18 pm »
the best way to do it. wash your car, van, whatever with tap water and rinse with pure.
why would want to waste all that pure water washing the whole car.
 been doing the the cars, vans for the past 5 years.

traps7

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2010, 04:57:38 pm »
Some of you seem to think your pure water is so precious. I got a 40/40 static system so splash it about liberally.

I turn the controller up to 99 and wash the van and car with my stumpy pole.