andyjm1

Is climbing onto balconies acceptable?
« on: November 18, 2009, 11:18:20 am »
I've been asked to quote for a large complex of flats which have patio doors leading onto balconies which have railings.
The customer want the patio doors included in the quote. The only way I can see they can be cleaned is by climbing over the railings from a ladder.
Does anyone know if is this allowed under working at height regulations?

GWCS

Re: Is climbing onto balconies acceptable?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 11:25:29 am »
from a recent article on the Fed of WC magazine. No it isn't.

Tosh

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 11:34:53 am »
If it was just 1st floor flats, I'd probably go for it if the price was right!  I bet I've done a lot dafter.  It would be against any health and safety legislation, but I'm like that.

Any higher than 1st floor I wouldn't!

But to be honest I'd prefer to keep the job ladder free, since its a nicer way of working; so I'd use the 'elf and safety card.

dazmond

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 11:36:46 am »
i do on 1 flat but im extra careful!i dont stand on the top of my van with a pole though! ;)dont think its legal though according to the H/S brigade!im a lot more careful working than i was a few years ago!i use my trad pole a lot more now,ladderstopper,mitts etc.up to u whether u want to risk it pal!
price higher/work harder!

Murdie window cleaning

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 11:45:50 am »
I would be asking how I'm meant access the patio doors, if they expect you yo climb onto the balcony I would only do so if I felt comfartable doing so.

How would you do it if it was a customer you were quoting as a domestic job ? If the answer is you wouldn't do it, then there it is

andyjm1

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 11:55:37 am »
The flats go up to three storeys high.  :-\  

I think the only safe way they can be cleaned is using traditional methods, accessing them through the flats themselves which would obviously be be problematic, although not impossible.

What if I offered to wfp all the other windows on a Friday and then be there over the following Saturday and Sunday to do the balconies when people are more likely to be at home?
There are 96 balconies, I would obviously miss some if people were away for the weekend but could probably do most of them.
Anyone think they might go for that?

EZclean

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 12:02:30 pm »
for H&S reasons they should be cleaned by the residents. too much hassle to do them from insides. how many flats are there?
EZclean - Cleaner Than Water

andyjm1

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 12:12:17 pm »
for H&S reasons they should be cleaned by the residents. too much hassle to do them from insides. how many flats are there?

I'm not sure how many flats there are I only counted the windows.
I know it would be hassle accessing them though the inside but if I was prepared to do this and it means I get the job at a nice price it might be worth the hassle.

Murdie window cleaning

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 12:17:16 pm »
Have you had a look at the Ionics sidewinder, they sell it as being able to clean akward windows such as reaching through balcony rails.

It may be worth a look

andyjm1

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 12:23:27 pm »
Have you had a look at the Ionics sidewinder, they sell it as being able to clean akward windows such as reaching through balcony rails.

It may be worth a look

Even if you could get a brush through the railings the balconies are so deep you wouldn't be able to clean the bottom of the door from the ground. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Murdie window cleaning

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 12:30:40 pm »
Then I think you will have to add a note to your quote saying you will need access to the property to clean the patio door. Most of the residents will give up and tell you they will just clean there own doors after a while.   

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 12:35:36 pm »
I think you need to go back to the person asking for the quote and explain the safety side of climbing over railings at over 25ft high. Personally i wouldnt do it on a standard house, ive got some and lost some quotes, but its my life on the line.

Going back the next day (saturday) would be a good compramise if your happy to go back. Though you probably wont get them all in, you should get most.

What i would do is get a contact number for each of the residents and offer them either the friday you clean them or the saturday morning. Tell the management company you will only charge for balcony windows that are cleaned.

Thats my 2p's worth
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

trevor perry

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 01:50:07 pm »
what are the ground conditions like, it may be possible to hire a cherrypicker and clean them from in that using a short wfp to reach the width of the balcony, i know this is going to add a fair bit to your qoute but point out to them this is the only safe way acceptable to health and safety other than going through peoples flats.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

dai

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 02:13:26 pm »
I do loads of them and think nowt of it. You need something on the balcony to stand on though.
It can be well scary trying to get off if you have nothing to stand on.

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 02:16:53 pm »
The only job I have like this is on a large house with the "balcony" actually being a flat roofaccessed via the bedroom external doors.  I do climb over the railiung but it is very safe in this instance.  I slot the ladder stiles between the uprights and dig the ladder into the grass so it isn't going anywhere.  The situation that you have is toytally different though.  I'm not so sure I would quote for such a job unless they excluded the balconies.

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 04:19:30 pm »
I have a 'special conditions' section on all quotes.

Just add into the quote that you will 'clean the balcony doors where reasonable access is allowed'

WFP the building then go into the building with trad gear and quickly knock on every door and ask anybody who answers if they would like there patio doors cleaning I bet you'd be surprised how many people will turn you down.

windowswashed

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 06:08:51 pm »
I do loads of them and think nowt of it. You need something on the balcony to stand on though.
It can be well scary trying to get off if you have nothing to stand on.

Tie the top of the ladder off before you get off, so it won't slip or slide away  :)

andyjm1

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 07:36:40 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback and opinions.

I have given them my price and told them I would be going through the flats to clean the patio doors for safety reasons.

It's the climbing off the ladder and onto the railings bit I don't like the thought of, and even less the  climbing back on part, one slip and it's goodnight.

lcwalker

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 11:52:23 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback and opinions.

I have given them my price and told them I would be going through the flats to clean the patio doors for safety reasons.

It's the climbing off the ladder and onto the railings bit I don't like the thought of, and even less the  climbing back on part, one slip and it's goodnight.
Best way it isn't worth the risk ive done some things like that doing gardening work up ladders with a chainsaw and balancing on step ladders with a hedge cutter i just borrow my brothers scaffolding to do the jobs now.Safty first is my motto. :)

poleman

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 12:31:29 am »
We do a lot of flats and we never get a ladder out to clean the balconies! we tell them from the start that if they wont them done we are happy to clean them by going throw the flat! if there not in then we just try to catch them next time! easy as that!!!!!

Andy