mr merson

VAT question ?
« on: July 18, 2008, 04:50:21 pm »
Do you have to have a set income to be able to register for it ?    ???

Bobs Window Cleaning

Re: VAT question ?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 05:01:46 pm »
nope
Why oh Why did he spell my name as bod & not bob on my wedding invites.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 05:52:42 pm »
You should not worry about VAT - the current amount is £67000.00, there is no need to complicate your life with VAT until you reach that sort of turnover - but do register for VAT before you go over that amount.

You will have post by Monday latest!!!

Rob ;D - Wont be available to comment till 3rd Aug 08

mr merson

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 09:03:52 pm »
Reason I ask , is I am considering buying new van  ;)

Rob_Mac

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 09:05:21 pm »
It is my understanding that you can go back three years so if you buy a new van this year and then go VAT registered in 2 years time you will still be able to claim it back

Rob ;D

liahona

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 09:11:26 pm »
Yes you can go back 3 years.  I was registered before I cleaned anything. 

Cant see why anyone wouldnt want to be registered.

17.5% less on fuel alone must be worth it.

17.5% less on chemicals

Etcetera.

Best, Dave.

mr merson

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 09:12:03 pm »
well to be honest , there are a lot more positives than negatives for it at the moment ! Got to have a word with my accountant ( If I can persuade him to play me again after me winning with an eagle at the 16th  ::)  ;D

Rob_Mac

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 09:15:00 pm »
I have to say when we had the residential workload I was quite concerned about adding the VAT to the whole custom base but the Liahona approach of being registered from the very beginning does away with those worries.

Rob ;D

mr merson

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 09:17:57 pm »
Never mind Vat Rob , think sunshine and relaxation by the pool  8)

Rob_Mac

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 09:21:17 pm »
I will be sitting there on the plane tomorrow and some of the time over the next couple of weeks looking for the next advancement, for the business.

I have already started the ball rolling today. Spoke to my contacts and as soon as I get back I will be offering more internal cleaning options, and more industrial cleaning options. Adapting our service to meet the client requirements.

Rob ;D

gsw

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 09:22:23 pm »
thats great if you were registered like Liahona but bearing in mind petrol and now gas is going through the roof I can just see all domestic customers happily adding 17.5% to their window cleaning bill!!

with inflation running at 3.8% i would expect to lose one or ten customers!!

have a good holiday, do you get the VAT back on that??

Rob_Mac

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 09:26:32 pm »
If I could find an angle to get it through my accountant then I would certainly try!!!!!

GSW that is the main reason why I sold my residential work - we had just increased our residential workload prices before Christmas and then the VAT problem came up.

I was so close to basically saying your price will have a further 17.5% increase when I sold it to the guy that had been doing it for me for the last two years. The letter had been typed on the very laptop I am sitting writing this post on now.

Rob ;D

ronnie paton

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 09:39:27 pm »
i think you have to comprimise with residential or run a ltd company and a sole trader in total different names which im told is legal.

i have alot of appartment blocks and ithought i would be able to charge vat but has they are run by non profit making ass they will not be able to claim it back......i have some big decisions to make wether i go on the flat rate or the normal rate.

But if the business is to keep expaning you have to take that jump at some time............

mr merson

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 09:42:14 pm »
thats great if you were registered like Liahona but bearing in mind petrol and now gas is going through the roof I can just see all domestic customers happily adding 17.5% to their window cleaning bill!!

with inflation running at 3.8% i would expect to lose one or ten customers!!

have a good holiday, do you get the VAT back on that??
You have left your self wide open with that post ! But as always , we have to be polite and cordial  ;D

gsw

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 10:37:53 pm »
i'm nowhere near the vat threshold mr merson, if i was i wouldn't have posted!

mr merson

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 10:45:55 pm »
i'm nowhere near the vat threshold mr merson, if i was i wouldn't have posted!

Just do some homework ! And who knows , you can start giving advice on here !

gsw

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 10:53:51 pm »
thanks for the friendly banter i wasn't giving advice, i was merely stating a fact. which in effect rob agreed with which is why he sold all his domestic work.

i figure if i wanted advice re VAT registration I would talk to my accountant not ask a forum,
but then again sometimes its nice to have other polite and cordial opinions.

NWH

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 10:58:31 pm »
VAT basically means more paperwork and breaking the news to your customers that they will paying another 17.5% each clean,commercial customers won`t bat an eyelid but domestic might.If your domestics are due for an increase anyway it could be tricky adding both at once and not advisable if you want to hang on to all your work.

mr merson

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 11:06:45 pm »
VAT basically means more paperwork and breaking the news to your customers that they will paying another 17.5% each clean,commercial customers won`t bat an eyelid but domestic might.If your domestics are due for an increase anyway it could be tricky adding both at once and not advisable if you want to hang on to all your work.
I was thinking of not charging domestics , and new customers wil have to pay !

Rob_Mac

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 11:09:40 pm »
You cannot do that

When you apply to go VAT registered you have to add it to all of your products or services - there can be no distinction between residential & commercial

Rob ;D