paul alan

van door retainer
« on: February 17, 2018, 08:33:11 pm »
After having my roller guides fitted I realised I need something to keep the van doors from closing whilst they are out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtAFvx1GY2U

This what I came up with.

Still needs another support at the bottom but it has been effective so far.

Spruce

Re: van door retainer
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 09:21:31 pm »
After having my roller guides fitted I realised I need something to keep the van doors from closing whilst they are out.

The idea is first class although I wouldn't like to leave my van doors open like that. The sound on the video could be better though.
 :)
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

nathankaye

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 09:22:36 pm »
Can u not just fit it half way down the door instead
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

paul alan

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 09:34:24 pm »

The idea is first class although I wouldn't like to leave my van doors open like that. The sound on the video could be better though.
 :)

Been working like that always, there's nearly always one of us close to the van.

Would take a brave thief, and they're usually not.

The sound could be poor due to the wind, which is why I thought of making the video.

paul alan

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 09:38:19 pm »
Can u not just fit it half way down the door instead

Only difference putting it lower would be more in the way. It holds the doors well, but if a really strong gust blew the doors could go together in the same direction. But then if it was that windy I possibly wouldn't be working.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 11:06:11 pm »
I just use cabin hooks on each door. Then I can choose to keep one door shut and the other fixed open. I can also lift the reel out and put it on the floor and shut both doors locked on the half latch to accommodate the feed hose to the reel.
It's a game of three halves!

tlwcs

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 09:00:55 am »
It's in the way! Could you not fit a hook to the hinge side of the door with the bolt on the rear pillar of the van. One each side? (Hook and eye)
Love the initiative though

jk999

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 12:17:32 pm »
Why do you need one at top and one at bottom does the bottom part of your doors close while the top stays open 🤤

paul alan

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 01:27:35 pm »
Why do you need one at top and one at bottom does the bottom part of your doors close while the top stays open 🤤

No, but the doors can still move with just the top one on. The left door could travel to the left whilst the right one could go the same way and vice versa.

If i attach something to the top of the roller guide arms that holds the doors open from the inside then nothing can possibly move.

Easy to understand?

paul alan

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 01:28:41 pm »
It's in the way! Could you not fit a hook to the hinge side of the door with the bolt on the rear pillar of the van. One each side? (Hook and eye)
Love the initiative though
In the way of what? Its above head height.

paul alan

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 01:29:41 pm »
I just use cabin hooks on each door. Then I can choose to keep one door shut and the other fixed open. I can also lift the reel out and put it on the floor and shut both doors locked on the half latch to accommodate the feed hose to the reel.
Did consider cabin hooks but couldn't visualize a way to mount them in a strong position, have you got any pics?

jk999

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 02:52:38 pm »
Your van doors shouldn't go either way they have a catch on them so if your doors do what your saying then something s wrong with your catches I have done water fed pole for 20 years and never had to put something on the doors to keep them open strange

paul alan

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 02:54:11 pm »
Ever had a transit?

Both mine the doors will go in  strong winds. Crap I know, but true.

Don Kee

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 03:11:11 pm »
I’ve had two mark 6 transits, neither had that much of a problem with the barn doors unless the wind was really strong (we would close them on the hose at that point anyway, you can close them in a way that the doors weren’t fully closed on the hose but the catch caught on the other door therefore holding in place)

Rust on the first one on the other hand was a pain in the harris, second one was in great condition and waxyoiled as a result (I miss my second one, best van I’ve had, regret selling it)

paul alan

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 03:16:00 pm »
We live on the north wales coast and nothing stands between us and the ocean wind's!

It's also a problem with rust, the first one was an mot failure because of it.

What's wazyoil?

Slash

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 05:50:19 pm »
Waterworks do the best I've ever seen,they have rollers in the floor with the back doors locked which i thought was the whole point.

Don Kee

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 06:15:42 pm »
We live on the north wales coast and nothing stands between us and the ocean wind's!

It's also a problem with rust, the first one was an mot failure because of it.

What's wazyoil?

Sorry, it was my typo; its waxoyl (shultz cans)

Its a rust preventative paint type thing that you spray on the whole underbody/chassis (although most modern vans dont really have the conventional chassis anymore) on your van to prevent rust (obvs you give it a good clean and get rid of any rust first, surface or otherwise.

There are various other makes and brands but I was recommended waxoyl (POR15 being another that was recommened)

paul alan

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2018, 06:19:35 pm »
Waterworks do the best I've ever seen,they have rollers in the floor with the back doors locked which i thought was the whole point.

Bet it costs more than what I spent though, and if your hoses are going through the floor your having to disconnect/reconnect 30+ times per day.

I did consider going through the floor but decided against for the above reason.