H20cleaning

i need some advice off the older lads on the forum....
« on: October 14, 2013, 09:46:18 pm »
Basically I am 21 and running a 1 man van WFP round each month, I enjoy my work and have no debt to my name.
However my dad and brother both work in the offshore industry and keep telling me to pay for a course and my offshore survival and they will get me straight off on between £40k+ a year.
My brother is 25 he has a 4bedroom house, just sold a Nissan GTR and lives the life of luxury and I want the same!

I left school wanting to go into the engineering industry but unfortunately it was the year the recession hit and my dad couldn't get me a apprentice.

I just want to know off a few of the older people on here who might have done a similar job, and what they thought about it.
also want to know what I would do with my current round etc, and rough price on what it would be worth?

2003 Nissan Primastar, 85thousand miles, £500 sign written, between £500-700 worth of DIY system/ poles.
my round is currently pulling in around £1500 a month but by the time I will be looking at going offshore I imagine it would be around the £2000 a month mark, plus extra summer jobs.

bobplum

Re: i need some advice off the older lads on the forum....
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 10:00:21 pm »
well i am only 51 so i am not really that old ;D you want ian 101 really

but i would go of shore you can always come back to window cleaning
The round should fetch between 5- 7 times the value
a couple of grand for all the van and bits

H20cleaning

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 10:03:18 pm »

so a round that pulls in £2000 a month with average price £10.00 should fetch around the 10k ?
my average is £10.00 because im a northerner not like some of the southern money grabbers on here >:( haha

robertphil

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 10:12:49 pm »
at your age id go offshore if dad can definitely line u up summat decent.   you will regret it if you dont. 

colin purewater

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 10:13:15 pm »
You've got to look at the bigger picture mate,

In years to come you may have a family to
Look after kids etc

Now the rigs may seem like good money and life style
Now, but I've got mates who are of shore with
Nice car and house etc, but they MIs half of the kids
Growing up and that my friend you can't get back!

They are stuck with there "good job" because they have
Done it for years and have no other skills
To change work now as the pay cut would kill them!

You can work smarter and add another grand
A month to your round and be home every night
With the wife and kids (I'm still talking in the future for you)

I no your only a pup and the world is your oyster at 21 mate
But for me window cleaning is a great long term cereer!

I wish I would of started when I was your age mate ( I'm 32)
I'd be a lot better of than I am now 👍

Or rent your work out and try it for a year!

Off shore can be a VERY lonely place...

keep it simple

TheWindowManChris

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 10:19:00 pm »
This may sound sad but I started work at 16 as Apprentice Valve Engineer and great job and great money but I went work for myself.

I say stick at doing Window Cleaning and build your business up.    I know a few lads I did by apprenticeship now work offshore and etc and I know least 2 of them quit and return back to land as it is a lonely place.

Best thing I did was doing my window cleaning as I am home and got nice wee girlfriend and get to fit my work around her.

H20cleaning

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 10:20:39 pm »
thanks for the coments.
firstly my brother said he wouldn't let me go offshore without some form of contract ( he has a 5 year one)

secondly his contract is salary so he gets paid even if he doesn't work, so he will try his hardest to get me something similar with the same company( he cant work longer than 3 weeks at a time, he has to have a minimum of a week off after that, and he only has to work 6 months a year. Anything more is paid at £600 a day)

thirdly I know there is a lot of money to be made from window cleaning but I see myself struggling with the finer things in life. For example housing market and nice cars. Its really difficult for someone my age to get on the market when self employed.

there is a hell of a lot for me to think about but im swaying towards the offshore side of things if possible, at least if I sold my round I would have some savings if it didn't work out.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 10:21:17 pm »
£40 000 a year as a wage is worth a lot more than £40 000 a year turnover.

for a start £2000 a month, will not be £2000 a month if you have any time off throughout the year, your customers will miss a clean here and there when they're away, and of course there's sick days when you're not earning and your expenses.

you've plenty of time to try the offshore work out and see if you like it.  you;ve tried Window cleaning, and can always come back to it easily.  and if you've earned a bit off shore you can use some money to buy some work in or canvassers.

iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

H20cleaning

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 10:26:01 pm »

for a start £2000 a month, will not be £2000 a month if you have any time off throughout the year, your customers will miss a clean here and there when they're away, and of course there's sick days when you're not earning and your expenses.

you've plenty of time to try the offshore work out and see if you like it.  you;ve tried Window cleaning, and can always come back to it easily.  and if you've earned a bit off shore you can use some money to buy some work in or canvassers.

this is my point, even if it was for 10 year to get me on the housing market and some money in the back, invest it wisely maybe into property and then I have a steady income if anything was to happy.
my dad lives in Kazakhstan for 9 months a year and its megabucks, he is only doing it because he is recently divorced and we are all grown up( this wouldn't be for me but obviously he knows contacts)

I know you miss part of your kids growing up etc. but I have been told many offshore workers spend maximum of 2 weeks on 2 weeks off which surely would mean you see your kids more than having a 9-5 job.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 10:26:54 pm »
I reckon you'd get 3k for your round, tops.

ben M

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 10:29:20 pm »
at your age id go offshore if dad can definitely line u up summat decent.   you will regret it if you dont. 
+1

H20cleaning

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 10:30:49 pm »
I hope your joking...less than  2x what is worth by the time I come to sell it! its a guaranteed income I have been doing it for years and very well priced for the north east!

stuart mc

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 10:31:34 pm »
thanks for the coments.
firstly my brother said he wouldn't let me go offshore without some form of contract ( he has a 5 year one)

secondly his contract is salary so he gets paid even if he doesn't work, so he will try his hardest to get me something similar with the same company( he cant work longer than 3 weeks at a time, he has to have a minimum of a week off after that, and he only has to work 6 months a year. Anything more is paid at £600 a day)

thirdly I know there is a lot of money to be made from window cleaning but I see myself struggling with the finer things in life. For example housing market and nice cars. Its really difficult for someone my age to get on the market when self employed.

there is a hell of a lot for me to think about but im swaying towards the offshore side of things if possible, at least if I sold my round I would have some savings if it didn't work out.

if you can get offshore go for it, no brainer for me, sod the round give it away if need be, I would, but then I love working away from home

H20cleaning

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 10:33:59 pm »
thanks for the coments.

my van is worth £4000 all day long is MINT condition and the equiptment is all good.
im sure a round worth £2000 a month has to fetch minimum of 5k!!!

if you can get offshore go for it, no brainer for me, sod the round give it away if need be, I would, but then I love working away from home

stuart mc

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 10:37:58 pm »
yep no doubt sell for what you can, but if you get the opportunity to go offshore take it ;)

Mitchellmoxo

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 10:42:26 pm »
money isnt everything think of the freedom that comes with running a business. And if it doesnt give you freedom then change it so it can! thats the beauty

PoleKing

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 10:46:03 pm »

I don't think there's that much in it in reality...

OP-im only a bit older that you but i'd stay on windows.
£40k is good money but not life changing and certainly not unachievable WCing
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

G Griffin

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 10:55:20 pm »
I know you miss part of your kids growing up etc. but I have been told many offshore workers spend maximum of 2 weeks on 2 weeks off which surely would mean you see your kids more than having a 9-5 job.

That's a very mature attitude, mate, and one I wouldn't have had at your age.
But 2 weeks is a long time in a childs life and you would miss out on a lot. It's also a fabulous opportunity and one that could provide a lot for your (future?) children.
Only you know what's best for yourself, though. If you want to try it, then maybe rent out your round with a view to a sale, if you decide it's what you want, long term.
That's often the downside with well paid jobs- long hours and/or pressure and responsibilty.
You can get yourself more money but you can't get yourself more time.

Good luck, anyway.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

DG Cleaning

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 11:01:44 pm »
As I've got older I've realised money isn't everything.
I've always chased it in the past and when I have I haven't been happy.
If you like the idea of working away from home then it may suit but at 21 I was out with the lads enjoying myself and playing football on a Sunday.
I lived for the weekends.
When I lived in Oz I could have been on mega money working in the mines.
(I'm an engineer and an ex miner) but it really wasn't for me I wanted to surf a lot ;D
Once I took a job with a 50% pay rise and it caused me loads of grief.
if I was you I'd think very carefully about what you want from life.
It's good to plan but you've a long time in front of you for work or mortgages.
I'd enjoy being young free and single.
If I was you I'd travel the world for a few years working as you go.
You'll come back with a whole new take on life.

roundbuilder

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 11:15:55 pm »
money isnt everything think of the freedom that comes with running a business. And if it doesnt give you freedom then change it so it can! thats the beauty
Agreed.

MWC

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 11:17:26 pm »
You've got to look at the bigger picture mate,

In years to come you may have a family to
Look after kids etc

Now the rigs may seem like good money and life style
Now, but I've got mates who are of shore with
Nice car and house etc, but they MIs half of the kids
Growing up and that my friend you can't get back!

They are stuck with there "good job" because they have
Done it for years and have no other skills
To change work now as the pay cut would kill them!

You can work smarter and add another grand
A month to your round and be home every night
With the wife and kids (I'm still talking in the future for you)

I no your only a pup and the world is your oyster at 21 mate
But for me window cleaning is a great long term cereer!

I wish I would of started when I was your age mate ( I'm 32)
I'd be a lot better of than I am now 👍

Or rent your work out and try it for a year!

Off shore can be a VERY lonely place...

Is this a poem?

MWC

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2013, 11:19:28 pm »
Keep your round and build further on it or rent it out maybe?

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 11:23:29 pm »
I hope your joking...less than  2x what is worth by the time I come to sell it! its a guaranteed income I have been doing it for years and very well priced for the north east!

I'm not joking mate & nor is it guaranteed!

Listen to people telling you it's worth 10k if you like, but I would honestly base any plans on 4k absolute max for your work IF you get lucky but you should achieve 3k within a reasonable time.

TomSE

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 11:30:11 pm »
Sounds like at this moment in time your leaning towards going offshore.

Whatever you choose to do mate I would try to put off a decision for as long as possible. At least a few months and make sure you don't make that decision on a day when everything has gone against/or fell nicely for you as this can easily sway a decision.

Grass isn't always greener. When I was working in an office geared towards making a lot of money (eventually) I hated every moment. I've since had plenty of ideas of what to try etc these normally come up on bad days and were especially common at the start of the year when I started window cleaning full time (with few customers).

In some of your recent posts (may have you confused with someone else so correct me if I'm wrong) It seems like you've got some room in your days to get more work and money etc. Whilst having a good base of customers atm. Ask yourself if it is realistic that you could double your round value in a year and if you were on that sort of money would you still consider changing?

It took a good few months for me to definately commit long term to my business mentally and that was only after seeing on multiple occasions that the type of life I want (not all about money) is achievable. I am also 21 mate, my round is currently similar to yours in value and I have also had similar thoughts in the past. I have also found when I start leaning towards an idea of what I might do I get quiet set in that mind for a few weeks and then it fizzes out. Hence my suggestion that you wait a few months. You may not be like me at all but I know I would regret throwing away what you've built for yourself too easily. From your previous posts you've always seemed quite clued up as to work and gaining work etc so I would imagine you'll eventually have a round that could give you a similar amount.

Whatever you do, best of luck mate.

H20cleaning

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2013, 11:53:28 pm »

Whatever you choose to do mate I would try to put off a decision for as long as possible. At least a few months and make sure you don't make that decision on a day when everything has gone against/or fell nicely for you as this can easily sway a decision.

Grass isn't always greener. When I was working in an office geard towards making a lot of money (eventually) I hated every moment. I've since had plenty of ideas of what to try etc these normally come up on bad days and were especially common at the start of the year when I started window cleaning full time (with few customers).

In some of your recent posts (may have you confused with someone else so correct me if I'm wrong) It seems like you've got some room in your days to get more work and money etc. Whilst having a good base of customers atm. Ask yourself if it is realistic that you could double your round value in a year and if you were on that sort of money would you still consider changing?

It took a good few months for me to definately commit long term to my business mentally and that was only after seeing on multiple occasions that the type of life I want (not all about money) is achievable. I am also 21 mate, my round is currently similar to yours in value and I have also had similar thoughts in the past. I have also found when I start leaning towards an idea of what I might do I get quiet set in that mind for a few weeks and then it fizzes out. Hence my suggestion that you wait a few months. You may not be like me at all but I know I would regret throwing away what you've built for yourself too easily. From your previous posts you've always seemed quite clued up as to work and gaining work etc so I would imagine you'll eventually have a round that could give you a similar amount.

i mainly see it as a possible opertunity for me earn the kindof money i will be earning in 6 years in the windows. however i know a few windys who have a few vans, 3 lots of wage bills, 3 insurances all the extras and its one massive headache. I also know one who found himself working 6-7 days every week. I dont see myself ever wanting a stressfull life with employing, and i would love a job wich gave me 4-6months a year sitting at home getting payed.
From been a young lad i have always had plans to build a house, mayby buy houses to rent them out etc. As a windy things like this would be a massive headache.

I really need to look into this but like you all say i am not in a rush as i have a wage coming in each week:)
Thanks for the very helpful comments

TheWindowManChris

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2013, 12:04:59 am »

Grass isn't always greener. When I was working in an office geared towards making a lot of money (eventually) I hated every moment. I've since had plenty of ideas of what to try etc these normally come up on bad days and were especially common at the start of the year when I started window cleaning full time (with few customers).

+ 1 it took me few months before I was like yep this is for me!   Now been doing it for just over a year and I am enjoying it and love every moment.   

Working 6-7 days a week - Only YOU can make that decision.  I start my day at 7am and then back home for 3pm.  I will never work a Sunday which I do clean the van or deal with kit.

Plus you only grow your business at what you want to grow at.   Family friend a joiner and he grew his business by renting his brand as a franchise and he got no pains but just looks at the money he earns.

H20cleaning

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2013, 12:18:47 am »

+ 1 it took me few months before I was like yep this is for me!   Now been doing it for just over a year and I am enjoying it and love every moment.   

Working 6-7 days a week - Only YOU can make that decision.  I start my day at 7am and then back home for 3pm.  I will never work a Sunday which I do clean the van or deal with kit.

Plus you only grow your business at what you want to grow at.   Family friend a joiner and he grew his business by renting his brand as a franchise and he got no pains but just looks at the money he earns.
totally agree with everything you said but to earn the same money as i could earn in the sea would mean either working 6full days a week or employing wich i cant see every wanting to do.
However mayby because im only 21 im feeling hard done by with the housing market and worryd about tax, and employment seem scary.
Mayby in 6 months time my mindset might have changed wen seeking further advice.
Either way it will take time... And that i have plenty of :)

mark dew

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2013, 01:32:49 am »
I myself would go for it for the reasons you mentioned.
Grabbing an opportunity doesn't mean burning bridges along the way. You know  window cleaning enough to know that you can always come back.
And at your age it is a great opportunity to build yourself a solid foundation, that you can exploit later on when you want to want to put your feet up and work for pleasure only.

If you are in a relationship, I would seriously give thought to keeping hold of the round and pay your mrs a wage to manage an employee while your gone.
A pain to combine both jobs by yourself, but if you have someone close , it could be a good little earner (nest egg) if you could keep it in the family.

Smudger

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2013, 06:51:20 am »
I know many people who work off shore some love it some hate it only you will know if its for you, all I can say is everyone I know who works off shore never struggles for cash (biggest earner is somewhere in the region of 400k)

Most do 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. So n theory you could easily keep your round it's current size and work that while at home.

ArOund here even with the high salaries on offer companies find it hard to find young decent labour, so if you can handle it 40k would soon turn in 60k pa.

If you can stash it rather than spend, spend spend then your gonna be set up for a decent future even if you came off it after 5 years

If I had the opportunity then I'd take it with both hands

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Spruce

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2013, 07:21:35 am »
You are single so it could be worth considering. But if you have a GF then expect your relationship to falter.

Over the years I have had a couple of customers whose husbands work/worked away who I cleaned/clean windows for.

My impression is that family life is made more difficult when one of the spouses isn't at home for extended periods.

The one customer has split up, not sure what the real reason was. The other manages, but the day to day pressure of maintaining the home, getting the kids to school etc falls on Mom. She has a lot of support from her mother as she also works, but there is a lot of tension in this home. So its not about having 2 weeks home to spend with the family. Being stuck out on the rigs also means that he wants to 'balance' his life out by getting out on his bike, seeing his friends, etc.

12 hours on 12 hours off on the rigs can become lonely as has been said and turn some to become very me focused. Both of these guys spend any free time on the rigs in the gym, so their free time is developing 'me'. When they return home they don't switch off and then become family focused.

With my current customer, whenever I see him he isn't fixing the back fence or doing those household jobs that have needed to be done for ages, but is out on his bike or cleaning it after having been out on it.
TBH, is a bloke who has been out on the rigs in terrible weather for 2 weeks really motivated to want to be around screaming kids when he gets home?

Another family whose husband works away come home over last winter and then flew off the France to go snowboarding with his mates for 10 days. She wasn't particularly charmed as he had done the same during the summer to play golf with his mates. Not too sure about that relationship.

I worked away for a year and I can say from experience it didn't do our relationship at home any good.

If you are single then there isn't those pressures, but once you have a girlfriend things can get tough. While you are out there, your mind will hanker back to being at home. Worse still, you may start to have little niggles about what she is doing whilst you are stuck out there.

Working on the rigs has only ever been about the money, but even that is not assured always. I have another older guy who works for Total. He works on a platform that always seems to have problems and he spends more time at home than working just waiting for the call to go as the platform is now ready to pump gas. As he works from Holland, he has to pay for his plane ticket himself. Last minute bookings cost money. He only gets paid when he works.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

bobplum

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2013, 07:36:35 am »

so a round that pulls in £2000 a month with average price £10.00 should fetch around the 10k ?
my average is £10.00 because im a northerner not like some of the southern money grabbers on here >:( haha

i would say most if not all the work i have ever sold and people i know who have sold work get at least 5 times the value, im in chester
i think if he sold it in lumps of say £500 he would stand a better chance of getting the value he wants and dont forget some  people will pay it...some wont  as is the case in any market

markymark

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2013, 08:20:13 am »
Our lad is 21 and has just started his second year in an engineering degree, and already has two firm offers of jobs at bosch and a british company. The £56k student loan kotivates him not to doss around, but his head is well screwed on. He studied now, when there are fewer jobs, in a discipline he enjoys and in a subject that will allow him to work for good pay and also give him the opportunity to travel. He reckons 15 years of graft, house bought, money in the bank and then its time to re-assess what he wants. Maybe it would be a good time for you to do similar? Get qualified in whatever you are thinkingvof to the highest level you can to give yourself the flexibility of moving jobs later. Money isn't everything, but my god it can make your life so much easier and give you the chance to do things that living on a lower wage can't. £50k + a year opens a lot of doors in your personal life that £20-£25k can't.
The good thing about science is that it's true whether you believe it or not.

gary999

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2013, 08:28:05 am »
will the opportnity to work offshore dissappear if you dont
make a decision now if it doesnt,then i would spend the next 6-12months
pushing your round on as hard as possible basing it on covering
5 good days a week and see where it takes you.

worstthat can happen when time is up is you will have a better round
to sell if you decide to go offshore

H20cleaning

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2013, 09:18:43 am »
I dont often have a girlfriend as i am to picky and not thag fussed! I know day the time will come but if i had a job 2weeks on 2 off i very much think that i could keep a relationship, But i would never let a girl stop me doing what i want anyway far to young for that.
My brother is sending out emails to see what he can do for me this week, i wont be looking to do anything for a while yet as i need to save gor courses. So you all have my company for a while ;)

ben M

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2013, 09:21:45 am »
I dont often have a girlfriend as i am to picky and not thag fussed! I know day the time will come but if i had a job 2weeks on 2 off i very much think that i could keep a relationship, But i would never let a girl stop me doing what i want anyway far to young for that.
My brother is sending out emails to see what he can do for me this week, i wont be looking to do anything for a while yet as i need to save gor courses. So you all have my company for a while ;)
i would never let a girl stop me doing what i want
 ;D we all say that believe me!  ;)

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2013, 10:00:57 am »
You are single so it could be worth considering. But if you have a GF then expect your relationship to falter.

Over the years I have had a couple of customers whose husbands work/worked away who I cleaned/clean windows for.

My impression is that family life is made more difficult when one of the spouses isn't at home for extended periods.

The one customer has split up, not sure what the real reason was. The other manages, but the day to day pressure of maintaining the home, getting the kids to school etc falls on Mom. She has a lot of support from her mother as she also works, but there is a lot of tension in this home. So its not about having 2 weeks home to spend with the family. Being stuck out on the rigs also means that he wants to 'balance' his life out by getting out on his bike, seeing his friends, etc.

12 hours on 12 hours off on the rigs can become lonely as has been said and turn some to become very me focused. Both of these guys spend any free time on the rigs in the gym, so their free time is developing 'me'. When they return home they don't switch off and then become family focused.

With my current customer, whenever I see him he isn't fixing the back fence or doing those household jobs that have needed to be done for ages, but is out on his bike or cleaning it after having been out on it.
TBH, is a bloke who has been out on the rigs in terrible weather for 2 weeks really motivated to want to be around screaming kids when he gets home?

Another family whose husband works away come home over last winter and then flew off the France to go snowboarding with his mates for 10 days. She wasn't particularly charmed as he had done the same during the summer to play golf with his mates. Not too sure about that relationship.

I worked away for a year and I can say from experience it didn't do our relationship at home any good.

If you are single then there isn't those pressures, but once you have a girlfriend things can get tough. While you are out there, your mind will hanker back to being at home. Worse still, you may start to have little niggles about what she is doing whilst you are stuck out there.

Working on the rigs has only ever been about the money, but even that is not assured always. I have another older guy who works for Total. He works on a platform that always seems to have problems and he spends more time at home than working just waiting for the call to go as the platform is now ready to pump gas. As he works from Holland, he has to pay for his plane ticket himself. Last minute bookings cost money. He only gets paid when he works.

Did you copy and paste this from the Family life book?  ;D
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

H20cleaning

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2013, 11:24:16 am »
I meant if it was a job i was already doing before meeting her then she will have to like it or lump it!!

dannymack

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2013, 11:55:38 am »
H20 wait till your married, you will do all what the woman wants as its to much grief and much nagging if you don't pmsl !!! You will never win with a women they will go on & on & on so just agree with them and so what they say ain't that right to all you or most married men lol !!!

Meself I'd stick with window cleaning as peeps say your your own boss and you can build it up and earn just as m iChat not now later and as you get older you will learn more and be more wiser. You may take someone on as a self employed person who pays his own tax and gets his own liability Insurance when you pick up more work

It took years before I got a few lucky breaks Stick with it and your time will come, might not be for another 10 years xould be earlier but your still young and you could even retire and sit at home while others do your work then you'll be home all year and get paid.

It's an achievement at 21 to have your own business and you should be proud of what you got and what you can build off it as there's thousands out there would love to have what you e got, you may earn more at the mo offshore but will you enjoy it and will you be happy

There's alot of windys on here that have also done very well like myself with 4 bed house couple of vans and m sport BMW and money in bank but it didn't come
Over night it took many many years and some lucky breaks and im getting on abit at at 44 so stick with it.

I've been cleaning windows at the age of 17 and had my own Ltd Company now since 2000, 13 years mind you looking forward to retire in 10 years time or slow down as prob get bored sitting at home but good luck 😃

H20cleaning

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2013, 06:07:45 pm »
haha I will not let my Mrs out of the kitchen when im married ;D

I will be finding out within a week or so some more info about what kind of job I could possibly do, but either way I will be doing my offshore survival just incase anything crops up.

Thanks for all the feedback and im still undecided as to what I want to do because the comments have all been so evenly matched! I will have to wait for more info off my brother.

ants

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2013, 06:30:12 pm »
Get yourself offshore now.
You could still work your round  cos you'll be doing 2 on 2 off or 3 on 3 off.But I bet you wont want to once you get another income.
My son's 24 he does NDT currently working on an oil refinery,he  gets  £1260 paid into his account, every week.
He used to window clean with me until I paid for his courses.
It cost me about £5k.
Best money I ever spent
Im not expecting him back anytime soon!

H20cleaning

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2013, 06:32:34 pm »
You could still work your round  cos you'll be doing 2 on 2 off or 3 on 3 off.But I bet you wont want to once you get another income.
My son's 24 he does NDT currently working on an oil refinery,he  gets  £1260 paid into his account, every week.
It cost me about £5k.
Best money I ever spent
what courses did you pay him through or did he previously have trade background??

keyser soze

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2013, 06:58:09 pm »
21 years old . that means you got 45 odd years left till retirement . believe me bud thats a long time in the window cleaning business . id do the off shore thing and definitely come back to this . life is about experiencing different things . i know money is good  but its not everything ....

Mike #1

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2013, 11:49:51 am »
If i got offered a £40,000 a year job even married and 38 yrs old i would take it your take home wage will be twice what you are earning now .

And you get paid holidays,   longterm if you do well you will be far better . Mike

PoleKing

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2013, 08:32:59 pm »
I know many people who work off shore some love it some hate it only you will know if its for you, all I can say is everyone I know who works off shore never struggles for cash (biggest earner is somewhere in the region of 400k)

Most do 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. So n theory you could easily keep your round it's current size and work that while at home.

ArOund here even with the high salaries on offer companies find it hard to find young decent labour, so if you can handle it 40k would soon turn in 60k pa.

If you can stash it rather than spend, spend spend then your gonna be set up for a decent future even if you came off it after 5 years

If I had the opportunity then I'd take it with both hands

Darran

£400k drilling for oil?! I'd go offshore for that.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

H20cleaning

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2013, 11:23:53 pm »
I know I quite fancy it but I need more info on my options before I make decisions, I have to do my offshore survival. So you guys have the pleasure of my company for at least 6 months yet! I will let you know how I get on though and hopefully in the mean time my round keeps growing so it would be worthwhile letting someone carry it on and take a cut for doing nothing. However I have no knowledge on employment, tax etc so there is so much to think about for my little brain. Hopefully I get a offshore job 2 weeks on 2 weeks off then 150 custys for the 2 weeks am home:D

TheWindowManChris

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2013, 11:26:19 pm »
I know I quite fancy it but I need more info on my options before I make decisions, I have to do my offshore survival. So you guys have the pleasure of my company for at least 6 months yet! I will let you know how I get on though and hopefully in the mean time my round keeps growing so it would be worthwhile letting someone carry it on and take a cut for doing nothing. However I have no knowledge on employment, tax etc so there is so much to think about for my little brain. Hopefully I get a offshore job 2 weeks on 2 weeks off then 150 custys for the 2 weeks am home:D

Where about are you like?

H20cleaning

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2013, 11:31:58 pm »

Where about are you like?
I am from the beautiful smoggie land of Middlesbrough ;D

stuart mc

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2013, 11:34:49 pm »
It cost me about £5k.
Best money I ever spent
what courses did you pay him through or did he previously have trade background??

there are companys out there if they think you can do the job. and they will pay for all the courses, at your age I doubt you have the experience to get that though, if you have family in the know use them and find out from them, I can get info on the minimum requirements for off shore work if you want, but I doubt it will get you work without a trade, but it is possible, you need to know people in the know, it isn't what you know but who you know ;)

H20cleaning

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2013, 12:02:48 am »
I have a few family members plus friends all in the engineeing trade plus offshore.
My brother knows little knolage on what you need as a basic job to get offshore, but he knows lads who have done simple riggin and drilling courses in a week and because they know people they get jobs straight away.
There are also certain jobs that you dont need trades to do (peoples scivvys im guessing) but at the end of the day i would pick poop uo with barehand for £1000-1400 a week:o