Rogue Trader

Ian lancasters franchise package
« on: June 27, 2012, 08:04:38 pm »
Im interested to see who has bought Ians franchising package and how it has worked for you.

boshravie

Re: Ian lancasters franchise package
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 08:40:37 pm »
Im interested to see who has bought Ians franchising package and how it has worked for you.

Me  :)
And yes it works for me, its like anything in life the more effort you put it to it, the better result you get. Its very important to choose the right man/woman for your franchisee.

Smudgeoff Cleaning Services

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 09:12:51 pm »
At what stage in your business did you go for this?

I am interested but feel my business is too young at only 2 years.

What sort of money do you get for a franchise?

cheers Darren
" To Get It All Off Call Smudgeoff"

boshravie

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 09:31:35 pm »
At what stage in your business did you go for this?

I am interested but feel my business is too young at only 2 years.

What sort of money do you get for a franchise?

cheers Darren

After 13 years of trading, we are well established in our area in terms of excellent service. 

Darranvps

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 09:40:11 pm »
Me

And just signed up our FIRST COMMERCIAL FRANCHISEE in Liverpool!

I can highly recommend it.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 09:41:44 pm »
That answers my question 2 years big no no.

Thanks Darren

Darranvps

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 09:47:45 pm »
We've only been trading two years and 3 month's

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 09:54:42 pm »
Very well done, that's what id love to do..

Can I give you a call tomorrow at some point Rhinoman.

Many thanks darren

Darranvps

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 09:58:53 pm »
Hi
Call me anytime between 08.00 - 12 noon as I will be in meetings all afternoon.

richywilts

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 12:07:24 am »
darran what company have u signed up as ur first in liverpool
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

Darranvps

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 06:09:41 am »
Somebody somebody T/A Purple Rhino Window Cleaning

Liverpool Today...............

The whole of the UK tomorrow................

Roy Cauldery

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 09:50:00 am »
Sounds like Mr Wilts is worried :D
we succeed because others can't or won't

Rogue Trader

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 11:05:53 pm »
anyone else?

My main issue with the this model is having to provide each franchisee with their work (which the majority of francisors dont do)

Is this what you have to do to sell a window cleaning franchise?

For those who have used this package and sold a franchise/s tell us what has happened warts and all.

mikecam

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 11:22:41 pm »
I'm totally confused reading this thread. I initially thought that the OP was asking who has bought an Ian Lancaster franchise and how are you doing with it? BUt based upon replies and subsequent repiles it appears that people (\boshravie and purple rhino) are answering...yes we've followed his business model and franchisee methods and we've franchised out too. To make things easy for a simpleton like me, what are we talking about here.....
A) i've bought an Ian Lancaster franchise...................
or
B) I'm following Ian Lancasters franchise method and i have franchisees ???
??

Rogue Trader

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 11:28:41 pm »
As the first post states "Ian Lancasters franchising package" NOT "Ian Lancasters franchise"

why would a CIU member buy a franchise?

i dont want an answer to this question so pls dont answer  ;D

My main issue with the this model is having to provide each franchisee with their work (which the majority of francisors dont do)

For those who have used this package and sold a franchise/s tell us what has happened warts and all.

poleman

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 11:40:07 pm »
BOTTOM LINE...whats the profit margin!!!

mikecam

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 12:06:20 am »
As the first post states "Ian Lancasters franchising package" NOT "Ian Lancasters franchise"

I understand your question now. So i will not aswer why any CIU member would wat to buy a franchise.

Are you stupid or something? If a franchise package does not include providing work then what exactly do you think your potential franchise package is selling, your name and know how? If thats the case then you may as well go and buy one of the overpriced window cleaning rounds and spend a year trying to pay for it, then another year to get your money back !!!
 The window cleaning game is full of smart arses right from the Porsche driving, magazine promoting, wanna get the info out to the lads type guys right throught to the more neaderthal..i can get £20 quid an hour for this work and pay someone £6.50 per hour. And thats why we get dumb questions like..do i have to pay when it rains and they don;t work, can i have a nil hours contract?
 Only one winner, and it won't be anyone responding to this type of crap.

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 04:09:13 am »
Snap, Mikecan . I agree with you on this one. ??? ???

anderclean

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 08:17:33 am »
supplying all the work the franchisee needs or wants is what makes Ian Lancaster deal unusually unique.
It also keeps the franchisee contracted to pay a 20% royalty fee to the franchisor.

Ian is completely transparent about how this all works and is the best person to talk too.
Of course he won't give you every thing for free, he's in business, not a secret millionaire philanthropist.

I bought his package about 2 years ago and was money well spent.

And it works...

boshravie

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 10:04:53 am »
supplying all the work the franchisee needs or wants is what makes Ian Lancaster deal unusually unique.
It also keeps the franchisee contracted to pay a 20% royalty fee to the franchisor.

Ian is completely transparent about how this all works and is the best person to talk too.
Of course he won't give you every thing for free, he's in business, not a secret millionaire philanthropist.

I bought his package about 2 years ago and was money well spent.

And it works...

Exactly  :)

All I can tell you guys that Ian’s  franchisee model is the best thing I did for my business.
My franchisee paid me upfront fee and within 6 months he got his fee back  buy earning from day one and he is more than happy to pay me the 20% royalty Why? Because he know if he loose a customer due to moving or ext…  we  will supply him with a new customer instantly . We constantly getting new customers because the way we advertise as well as we are a well known brand in our area, therefore my franchisee is well happy.

This is why a franchisee is the best root to go for  people who are not business person or having a fear of starting a new business.

But I can say this, running a franchisee is not for every one.

Rogue Trader

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2012, 12:40:01 pm »
It seems that yuou are the stupid one Mike Cam, maybe you should do a bit of research on what most franchise packages offer rather than coming on here when you are drunk on a saturday night and shooting your mouth off you dick.

For everyone else thanks for your sensible replies

mikecam

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2012, 01:00:38 pm »
It seems that yuou are the stupid one Mike Cam, maybe you should do a bit of research on what most franchise packages offer rather than coming on here when you are drunk on a saturday night and shooting your mouth off you dick.

For everyone else thanks for your sensible replies

They do. If they don't provide work and/or a catchment area for example what exactly do you think they're buying?

ben M

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 01:05:32 pm »

I understand your question now. So i will not aswer why any CIU member would wat to buy a franchise.

Are you stupid or something? If a franchise package does not include providing work then what exactly do you think your potential franchise package is selling, your name and know how? If thats the case then you may as well go and buy one of the overpriced window cleaning rounds and spend a year trying to pay for it, then another year to get your money back !!!
 The window cleaning game is full of smart arses right from the Porsche driving, magazine promoting, wanna get the info out to the lads type guys right throught to the more neaderthal..i can get £20 quid an hour for this work and pay someone £6.50 per hour. And thats why we get dumb questions like..do i have to pay when it rains and they don;t work, can i have a nil hours contract?
 Only one winner, and it won't be anyone responding to this type of crap.
Mike, no need to be rude mate! ;)

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 01:09:36 pm »
There are a variety of different franchise deals out there and the majority will not start you on day one with a full order book, but if you look at the likes of Dominoes, Subway etc you will find that they are global leaders in their field, their advertising budget for 1 hour is probually more that we earn in a year.

They know everything to know concerning their trade and market place, thye have been there and done it millions of times, that's what you invest in when you buy a package of them.

Ian lancansters method is different but when he first started off franchising, nobody knew who he was or what he did, so to make his franchise business sucessful, he offered customers and turnover on day 1.

If Ian gets to the glory heights of Dominoes or Subway then maybe he will not need to supply the work on day 1, but I think that he will still offer it as part of his franchise package, why try and repair something that is not broken in the first place.

mikecam

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2012, 01:13:14 pm »

Mike, no need to be rude mate! ;)

What a question though, or statement. I've re read it and it still sounds mad. Can't believe some of the questions here sometimes.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2012, 06:59:17 pm »
Hi all,

Firstly my thanks to Boshravie (PCCom), Darren (Purple Rhino) and Rob (anderclean) for your kind comments ;)

To Poleman: the profit margin of any franchise is the Royalty Fee.  This varies enormously from one to another, but in my case it is 20% of the value of work achieved by the Franchisee, plus any initial profit from the sale of the Franchise.  Bear in mind that there are none of the expenses of employing, so this is a much more accurate statement than saying: "My employee turns over £1,000 per week and I pay him £350 so my profit is £650".  Anyone employing will tell you that is cloud cuckoo land.

As Boshravie and Rob have said from their own experience, my system works, is easy to run and I am always ready to help with any questions my customers may have.

Regarding the question of providing the customers:  As some have commented, most franchises don't do this - they just tell the Franchisee how to run the business, then let him/her get on with it, find all their own customers and still charge them an ongoing fee.  When I was creating my system, I decided the best way was to provide the customers, that is the single most important stumbling block to anyone considering starting up on their own - "How will I ever find enough customers to make a living?"  I set out to attract people who really wanted to start up on their own, but were frightened for this reason.  Promising them as many customers as they wanted meant they could have their own business but also be guaranteed success from day one.

That's why people are happy to buy a Franchise based on my system ;)

Of course you can run a system where the Franchisees have to find their own customers, but as others have said, in that case what is it you are selling? and would anybody be happy to keep paying you for a business they built entirely themselves?

Smudgeoff:  I will e-mail you tomorrow with a full answer to your e-mail to me - just got home from a week in Dorset so I need a few hours to get my "business" mind working properly.

Rogue Trader: We had a chat a few weeks ago - if you need to speak to any of my previous customers have another look at my "Jolisian" website - there is a list of people who have been kind enough to give recommendations, they are all members on here and I'm sure they would be happy to talk to you.

If anyone needs any more encouragement to contact me, please take note there are no negative responses from people who have set up businesses based on my system -  if there were any dissatisfied customers, I'm sure they would have been quick to have their say on here!

Regards,

Ian

boshravie

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2012, 09:07:15 pm »
Hi all,

Firstly my thanks to Boshravie (PCCom), Darren (Purple Rhino) and Rob (anderclean) for your kind comments ;)

To Poleman: the profit margin of any franchise is the Royalty Fee.  This varies enormously from one to another, but in my case it is 20% of the value of work achieved by the Franchisee, plus any initial profit from the sale of the Franchise.  Bear in mind that there are none of the expenses of employing, so this is a much more accurate statement than saying: "My employee turns over £1,000 per week and I pay him £350 so my profit is £650".  Anyone employing will tell you that is cloud cuckoo land.

As Boshravie and Rob have said from their own experience, my system works, is easy to run and I am always ready to help with any questions my customers may have.

Regarding the question of providing the customers:  As some have commented, most franchises don't do this - they just tell the Franchisee how to run the business, then let him/her get on with it, find all their own customers and still charge them an ongoing fee.  When I was creating my system, I decided the best way was to provide the customers, that is the single most important stumbling block to anyone considering starting up on their own - "How will I ever find enough customers to make a living?"  I set out to attract people who really wanted to start up on their own, but were frightened for this reason.  Promising them as many customers as they wanted meant they could have their own business but also be guaranteed success from day one.

That's why people are happy to buy a Franchise based on my system ;)

Of course you can run a system where the Franchisees have to find their own customers, but as others have said, in that case what is it you are selling? and would anybody be happy to keep paying you for a business they built entirely themselves?

Smudgeoff:  I will e-mail you tomorrow with a full answer to your e-mail to me - just got home from a week in Dorset so I need a few hours to get my "business" mind working properly.

Rogue Trader: We had a chat a few weeks ago - if you need to speak to any of my previous customers have another look at my "Jolisian" website - there is a list of people who have been kind enough to give recommendations, they are all members on here and I'm sure they would be happy to talk to you.

If anyone needs any more encouragement to contact me, please take note there are no negative responses from people who have set up businesses based on my system -  if there were any dissatisfied customers, I'm sure they would have been quick to have their say on here!

Regards,

Ian

I couldn’t have put it any better.
And you are always more than welcome sir.  :)

Rogue Trader

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2012, 10:01:15 pm »
mikecam you are a bellend of the highest order, shall i wait til next saturday to get you response or are you on the sauce tonight......hic.. ;)

mikecam

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2012, 10:28:21 pm »
mikecam you are a bellend of the highest order, shall i wait til next saturday to get you response or are you on the sauce tonight......hic.. ;)

I'm on the sauce right now, i'll be to busy on Saturday . I'm pulling your leg, sorry about that. Its a great idea, just offer a franchise, get paid, give them a van, a wfp kit, some leaflets, tell them what to do and they're off. And you're in the money  ;D   Yes i understand you have a problem with having to get them work, of course, its hard work to do it. I was stupid to think otherwise. You'll get great money for your advice. I was wrong, hows that?

I just hope any potential franchisees don't come on here first or they'll get all the advice for free !!!

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2012, 10:50:43 pm »
20% does seem ok at first glance but I have to say, after 30% tax/NI I'm not sure I could stomach another 20%. That would be 50%- 30% of profits + 20% of turnover!!!  :'( :'( :'(

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2012, 01:01:58 pm »
20% does seem ok at first glance but I have to say, after 30% tax/NI I'm not sure I could stomach another 20%. That would be 50%- 30% of profits + 20% of turnover!!!  :'( :'( :'(

Then obviously you are not the type to want to buy a Franchise.  There are umpteen people out there who would like to run their own businesses, or just find themselves unemployed and are desperate to find a way back into eaning their living.  For one reason or another they lack the courage to strike out completely on their own, but buying a franchise in a proven organisation is the safer way forward.

The fact that there are many thousands of franchised businesses operating around the world proves this.

My system helps people like you, who wouldn't dream of parting with 20% of their turnover to tap into the unlimited market of people who are only too willing to do so ;)

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2012, 05:21:50 pm »

Then obviously you are not the type to want to buy a Franchise.  There are umpteen people out there who would like to run their own businesses, or just find themselves unemployed and are desperate to find a way back into eaning their living.  For one reason or another they lack the courage to strike out completely on their own, but buying a franchise in a proven organisation is the safer way forward.

The fact that there are many thousands of franchised businesses operating around the world proves this.

My system helps people like you, who wouldn't dream of parting with 20% of their turnover to tap into the unlimited market of people who are only too willing to do so ;)

Good answer! ;D

boshravie

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2012, 07:43:26 pm »

Good answer! ;D

i second that  :) :)

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2012, 07:58:18 pm »

I 3rd it  ;)

Perfect Windows

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2012, 09:01:58 pm »
It's so good I dump it and replace with two of it.

geefree

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2012, 12:29:08 am »
"My system helps people like you, who wouldn't dream of parting with 20% of their turnover to tap into the unlimited market of people who are only too willing to do so "

He wouldnt be spending  20% of his turnover to  be tapping into the market of people who are willing to do so Ian,....

He would be spending some of his profits on a franchise which would suit an unlimited amount of people,

but not him.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2012, 02:00:52 am »
i know you have a contract and i guess someone who has parted with alot of money to start up wouldnt likley do this but say he has a large round that you built up and he undercuts them all

the way i see it unless you can get him behind bars for not paying you 20% how can you stop him or his mate just cutting you off?, again one big factor here i see is that he has paid alot in the premium so i really dont think he would wana risk messing up but maybe after 2-3 years when he has learnt everything and understands customers and the trade and gets peed off parting with an extra 20% that at this point he may feel he is doing you a favour and trys it on :?

i know its all part of expanding and the risk will be there but im just wondering if you have a plan vs that!

i realized staff could also do it too however staff never really know anything apart from just the cleaning side the Franchisee will have all names and numbers so maybe this question answers its self the fact someone is paying the start up cost must be a factor and i guess if that worse case thing happens you still have the downpayment and a couple of years worth of 20%

just interested to see how that is enforced really im sure there is a way not being negative its very impressive and inspiring what you have done Ian

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2012, 08:36:47 am »
i know you have a contract and i guess someone who has parted with alot of money to start up wouldnt likley do this but say he has a large round that you built up and he undercuts them all

the way i see it unless you can get him behind bars for not paying you 20% how can you stop him or his mate just cutting you off?, again one big factor here i see is that he has paid alot in the premium so i really dont think he would wana risk messing up but maybe after 2-3 years when he has learnt everything and understands customers and the trade and gets peed off parting with an extra 20% that at this point he may feel he is doing you a favour and trys it on :?

i know its all part of expanding and the risk will be there but im just wondering if you have a plan vs that!

i realized staff could also do it too however staff never really know anything apart from just the cleaning side the Franchisee will have all names and numbers so maybe this question answers its self the fact someone is paying the start up cost must be a factor and i guess if that worse case thing happens you still have the downpayment and a couple of years worth of 20%

just interested to see how that is enforced really im sure there is a way not being negative its very impressive and inspiring what you have done Ian

I suppose it's about getting the right people in the first place- however, I too think along those lines. If I was the franchisee, I would be looking to get out of that 20% after the novelty of it all had worn off. I would assume that the customers- under no contract would be more loyal to the face they've been dealing with for 2 or 3 years rather than the man at the top who they never hear from or see? Could the franchisee's wife set the new business up & he become employed by here even?

Crystal-clear

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2012, 06:55:27 pm »

I suppose it's about getting the right people in the first place- however, I too think along those lines. If I was the franchisee, I would be looking to get out of that 20% after the novelty of it all had worn off. I would assume that the customers- under no contract would be more loyal to the face they've been dealing with for 2 or 3 years rather than the man at the top who they never hear from or see? Could the franchisee's wife set the new business up & he become employed by here even?

you see Ian has everything down to a T im wondering is this is covered too again we cant ignor the start up cost so on average we know he is going to be sweet for a couple of years but how to back your investment up for really long term cos its 5 10 15 years down the line i feel where that 20% will really thrive just good to know you are covered if possible

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2012, 10:29:19 pm »
It's all in the contract.  We only take on people who have assets - a house with plenty of equity in it.  They agree when they sign up that if the contract ends for any reason they are not allowed to approach any people who they know to be customers of the Franchisor.  The contract has been very carefully drawn up by a franchise solicitor so we wouldn't hesitate to take a franchisee (or an ex-franchisee) to court.  The possibility of them having to pay us damages, plus our costs and their costs is enough to deter most people.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2012, 10:35:02 pm »
It's all in the contract.  We only take on people who have assets - a house with plenty of equity in it.  They agree when they sign up that if the contract ends for any reason they are not allowed to approach any people who they know to be customers of the Franchisor.  The contract has been very carefully drawn up by a franchise solicitor so we wouldn't hesitate to take a franchisee (or an ex-franchisee) to court.  The possibility of them having to pay us damages, plus our costs and their costs is enough to deter most people.

well put Ian,

however i was just wondering do you really only consider people with a house and plenty of equity? what if someone had the premium from a redundancy pay out but no house would you really turn him away ?

also would it be quite a case you would need investigaters to prove his master plan sorry im going on at this lol i know that eventually you are going to say well we have had his premium and say 3 years of 20% thats like selling a round maybe for 40 cleans so if we couldnt prove it it wouldnt matter:)

not to mention it be quite rare as he has parted with alot of money but is that the main thing or could you actually stop him or his mate hehe

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2012, 10:43:06 pm »
We advise not taking on people who have nothing to lose.  It all depends on the people involved, you may have a gut feeling that the person, even  if he/she has no assets will still be a good and loyal franchisee, but ideally it should be someone who would be risking their house if they breached the contract.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'prove his master plan'.  If a franchisee broke away and continued cleaning the windows of the customers he had by virtue of his franchise (our customers) that would be a clear case of breaching the 'post termination' conditions that he agreed to when he first signed up.  We would have an undeniable case for demanding compensation for the loss of our customers, plus a very strong case for requiring the defendant to reimburse all our legal costs.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2012, 10:48:35 pm »
"My system helps people like you, who wouldn't dream of parting with 20% of their turnover to tap into the unlimited market of people who are only too willing to do so "

He wouldnt be spending  20% of his turnover to  be tapping into the market of people who are willing to do so Ian,....

He would be spending some of his profits on a franchise which would suit an unlimited amount of people,

but not him.

Sorry, I missed out a comma.  It should read: "My system helps people like you who wouldn't dream of parting with 20% of their turnover(,) to tap into the unlimited market of of people who are only too willing to do so."  I wasn't implying that they only had to part with 20% to tap into this market ;D

Crystal-clear

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2012, 06:17:39 pm »
cheers so i guess its a mixture of taking on someone with something to loose like his house and your contract as that would be pretty much anyones worst nightmare staff or franchise could happen to anyone so its good u got that covered.

i just find it intresting how you would handle the situation and you know how it seems you cant go wrong with his house!

Lee Burbidge

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2012, 08:26:04 pm »

;D

mikecam

« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2012, 11:50:58 pm »

;D

Sure i seen it today, no hub caps on it !!!
I  find a lot of the franchise packages on offer quite distasteful. Any loans/mortgages usually come with a disclaimer that your home may be at risk. From what Ian Lancaster says that is certainley the case with his franchise, infact he's says he most certainley makes it the case that you do have assests. Whether or not he makes it clear to his frachisees that their home is at risk i've no idea . But thats one of the criteria for finding the 'right candidate' ?
 There's other jokers out there too, i like this one. I can't quite work out the percentage because the figures are vauge, but it gives you an idea. Ironically the area is the same (Kent, or there abouts)..........
Posted on 07/06/12
Region: South East England
Type: Domestic
Monthly Avg Value : £4,400
Established For: 5+ years

Comments: We operate several rounds in Kent and Sussex, which turnover 4K-4.5K per 4 weekly period. Earning potential after costs paid £500-£700 per week. Rounds are currently being serviced and ready to be taken over on a franchise basis. Customer payments made by Direct Debit, card and online (no cash). Domestic customers only, full customer contact details available. Full training / induction is provided if required. A great long term investment.

Asking Price : £16,000

There's also lots of franchises that fail, and lots of franchises that are rip offs. Of course they won't be mentioned in any gumf by potential franchisors, but its also a fact too.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2012, 02:47:20 am »

;D

I  find a lot of the franchise packages on offer quite distasteful. Any loans/mortgages usually come with a disclaimer that your home may be at risk. From what Ian Lancaster says that is certainley the case with his franchise, infact he's says he most certainley makes it the case that you do have assests. Whether or not he makes it clear to his frachisees that their home is at risk i've no idea . But thats one of the criteria for finding the 'right candidate' ?
 There's other jokers out there too, i like this one. I can't quite work out the percentage because the figures are vauge, but it gives you an idea. Ironically the area is the same (Kent, or there abouts)..........
Posted on 07/06/12
Region: South East England
Type: Domestic
Monthly Avg Value : £4,400
Established For: 5+ years

Comments: We operate several rounds in Kent and Sussex, which turnover 4K-4.5K per 4 weekly period. Earning potential after costs paid £500-£700 per week. Rounds are currently being serviced and ready to be taken over on a franchise basis. Customer payments made by Direct Debit, card and online (no cash). Domestic customers only, full customer contact details available. Full training / induction is provided if required. A great long term investment.

Asking Price : £16,000

There's also lots of franchises that fail, and lots of franchises that are rip offs. Of course they won't be mentioned in any gumf by potential franchisors, but its also a fact too.

i saw this too its nuts , they basically want £16k of the bloke which i worked out gives him to right to earn them about 20k a year while he eanrs himself £500 a week with no holiday pay etc etc !

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2012, 06:33:19 pm »

THAT IS CERTAINLY NOT THE CASE AND IT IS NOT WHAT I SAID >:(

When a Franchisee signs a Franchise Agreement, he is agreeing to the terms and conditions of that Agreement.  The only time "his home would be at risk" is if he deliberately broke his agreement, costing the Franchisor time and money in repairing the damage, for which the Franchisor would be perfectly entitled to sue for compensation of the damage caused. 

There is no point in sueing someone who has no assets, as the complainant would not be able to recover any money and would also incur further expense by his court costs.  >:( >:(

Don't forget it is a two way street:  If the Franchisor fails in his obligations the Franchisee can sue him, in which case the Franchisor's house could be at risk!!

Before making sweeping and untrue statements, please take time to consider the true situation:

A franchisee's home could only be at risk if he broke the agreement in some way damaging to the Franchisor:  walked away and stole the Franchisor's customers - sold the Franchisor's round to another person - failed to pay the agreed franchise royalty fee etc and even then the Franchisor would not have any claim on the Franchisee's house, as in the case of a bank which has tied a loan to the value of a customers house.

A Franchisor can only take the Franchisee to court - it is for the court to decide if the Franchisee has actually damaged the Franchisor and if so whether the Franchisee should pay damages and how much - only then could the Franchisees house possible be at risk if he were unable to pay the damages/costs from any other source.

I always advise taking on Franchisees who have assets as an insurance against them simply walking away with the Franchisors business - any sensible business man would do the same.  The Franchise Agreement sets out all the obligations that the Franchisee has to the Franchisor AND the obligations the Franchisor has to the Franchisee - the Agreement is legal and binding but worthless if either party can claim they are unable to pay any sort of compensation for their failure to honour their side of the Agreement.

The Agreement is fair and reasonable, and anyone entering into it does so of their own free will and knowing that there would be possible penalties in the event of them causing damage by breaking the terms of the Agreement.

It is not a financial arrangement - there is no lending of money to be repaid.

A franchisee can walk away from his franchise at any time with no penalty.

I agree that there are some franchises out there which are rip-offs, but all business is a case of buyer beware, and even then if the Agreement is a decent one (and the franchisee can take legal advice before signing - we actually advise them to do so) the franchisee can sue the franchisor if he fails to provide the benefits described in the Agreement.

Before making damaging and untrue statements about my business, please do me the courtesy of asking if what you are accusing me of is actually true before saying it on a public forum.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2012, 07:18:45 pm »
Just read through the above again, and it's a bit of a slog ::)

Let me put it as clearly as I can:

A Franchisee's house could only (possibly) be at risk IF:  he deliberately tried to cheat the Franchisor.

There is ABSOLUTELY no question of the Franchisor having some sort of claim on the Franchisee's house simply by the two parties entering into the Franchise Agreement.

mikecam

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2012, 12:39:25 am »
Just read through the above again, and it's a bit of a slog ::)

Let me put it as clearly as I can:

A Franchisee's house could only (possibly) be at risk IF:  he deliberately tried to cheat the Franchisor.

There is ABSOLUTELY no question of the Franchisor having some sort of claim on the Franchisee's house simply by the two parties entering into the Franchise Agreement.

I understand what you now say it was this what i was concerned about.............
It's all in the contract. We only take on people who have assets - a house with plenty of equity in it.  They agree when they sign up that if the contract ends for any reason they are not allowed to approach any people who they know to be customers of the Franchisor.  The contract has been very carefully drawn up by a franchise solicitor so we wouldn't hesitate to take a franchisee (or an ex-franchisee) to court.  The possibility of them having to pay us damages, plus our costs and their costs is enough to deter most people.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2012, 01:28:19 am »
i didnt know the Franchise could take the Franchisor to court thats quite a fair one at least the Franchise knows with you that you gona keep him busy,others out there they gota be carefull of