Klean07

Weigh bridge woes!!!
« on: November 27, 2010, 11:51:41 am »
I was chatting to another wc this morning that I know. He was saying that the police were checking vans the other day in his area for defaults and being overweight etc. Anyways they stopped him in his vivaro and was told to follow police to a weighbridge. The guy knew he was overweight but crafty as he is turned system on from cab area and whilst driving to weighbridge 6 miles away dumped a few litres of water out of his back doors in the proccess.
Anyway when he finally got on weighbridge he was about 5 litres under so copper let him off. So he saved himself a hefty fine.
MMm maybe try that myself if I ever get pulled.
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

David Kent @ KentKleen

Re: Weigh bridge woes!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 11:58:07 am »
I was in the car transporting business for a while.
Dont risk it is my advice.
the police arnt daft!!!!!!!!
You can get pulled into a layby straight away and they can weigh you there and then.
Find out what your payload is and then work out what you can carry.
1 litre of water = around 1 kg in weight
Remember the total weight includes you and any passengers. you cant get out and just have the van weighed.
Hope this helps.
1st offence will cost ya around 150.00 BUT could go all the way up to 5000.00+

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 12:37:58 pm »
you joking , the police arent daft,you  obviously dont know many ;D ;D plus they are also useless

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 12:52:08 pm »
sisters an inspector, been pulled over 20 times intruck. they know all the tricks. i have found thro experience to keep the right side of the law.
Your not insured if you are over weight and will do time if you injure someone whilst driving overweight!!
Fancy a bit of that Barry!! :-X

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 01:06:00 pm »
get one over on the police and u will be amazed how many times u get pulled for routine inspection,  or u just happen to be the 7th car along that they are pulling

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 01:52:37 pm »
joking apart, any overweight or un secured load issues can be dealt with in a severe way if the particular police force are having a CLAMP down on them.
Every so often the police will go out and target particlar offences.
Did you know carring an unsecured 25ltr container FULL of water is an offence! in a commerical/business use setting!!!
Take care lads keep an eye out in that rear view mirror!! ;)

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 02:40:13 pm »
Your not insured if you are over weight and will do time if you injure someone whilst driving overweight!!

What about an unsecure load?

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 03:12:26 pm »
if your unsecured load causes death or injury. i.e you are travelling to a job with your work partner or employee and god forbid you are involved in an accident, that unsecured 25ltr drum can do you or your passenger alot of damage flying about at speed.
not a nice thought.
would be a freak accident but they do happen.

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 03:20:36 pm »
I mean isn't that an imprisonable offence like you mentioned in your previous post about being overweight.

dd

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 03:37:59 pm »
I was chatting to another wc this morning that I know. He was saying that the police were checking vans the other day in his area for defaults and being overweight etc. Anyways they stopped him in his vivaro and was told to follow police to a weighbridge. The guy knew he was overweight but crafty as he is turned system on from cab area and whilst driving to weighbridge 6 miles away dumped a few litres of water out of his back doors in the proccess.
Anyway when he finally got on weighbridge he was about 5 litres under so copper let him off. So he saved himself a hefty fine.
MMm maybe try that myself if I ever get pulled.
Very irresposible attitude.

chopsie

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 03:43:08 pm »
I cannot work out which numbers on the plate in my Transit is the payload?
chopsie

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 03:46:23 pm »
what model trannie is it chopsie

chopsie

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 04:27:21 pm »
its the smallest one. think its a T260, 55 plate
chopsie

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 04:31:04 pm »
you will have a total weight limit of 2.6 tonnes. Thats you the van and the system. so easiest way for you to see if you are running legal is fill up with water and go to a public weigh bridge.
hope this helps

Paul Coleman

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 05:08:15 pm »
joking apart, any overweight or un secured load issues can be dealt with in a severe way if the particular police force are having a CLAMP down on them.
Every so often the police will go out and target particlar offences.
Did you know carring an unsecured 25ltr container FULL of water is an offence! in a commerical/business use setting!!!
Take care lads keep an eye out in that rear view mirror!! ;)

Really.  What about an unsecured hose reel or an unsecured bag of rock salt?  Or my unsecured rubber matting that goes over hoses for safety purposes.  Surely it's not possible to secure everything n the back of a van?  That would be ridiculous.

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 05:44:08 pm »
unsecured hose reel in the back of your car travelling to your mothers for dinner, no problem.
unsecured hose reel in the back of your car travelling to your next customer, different matter all together.
Dont get me wrong i am not trying to be a scare monger.
I am just showing that ,god forbid if you did have an accident while operating (in business time) and something unsecured or overweight was found at scene or during further investigation you will be prosecuted!
Fact!
Involuntary manslaughter! death caused by an insecure load. Google it! it will open your eyes. I wouldnt fancy my chances if my 2 hose reels came flying towards me in an accident!

bad trippy

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 07:05:26 pm »
Bloody police. always poking their noses into other ppls business
www.clearviewbristol.co.uk
Add me on Facebook clear view window cleaning

chopsie

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 07:09:14 pm »
you will have a total weight limit of 2.6 tonnes. Thats you the van and the system. so easiest way for you to see if you are running legal is fill up with water and go to a public weigh bridge.
hope this helps
cheers, i will do that one day (when i find a weigh bridge)
chopsie

Nick Wareham

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2010, 09:52:32 pm »
Bloody police. always poking their noses into other ppls business

Yeah, how dare they uphold the law.  The sheer cheek of it.

Klean07

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2010, 10:04:37 pm »
Just goes to show that we shouldn't ever get complacent as you never know whats round the corner.
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk