What are our chances of getting this contract?
« on: September 09, 2005, 03:19:51 pm »
A local window-cleaning friend asked me to help him quote for a large and prestigous building.  It's probably three days work for two people, working traditionally.

We think the current window cleaner charges around £600 for the job, but does a rough and ready job; some places he doesn't do at all.

We want to double the quote to £1200 per monthly clean (working out at £200 a day each) and wish to push the fact that we're professional and do a good job.

I plan to send my quote in with a method and risk assessment; but how can I get accross the point that we are better than what they've currently got, without putting their current window cleaner down?

Or, are we whistling in the wind, quoting double what the current window cleaner charges?

Re: What are our chances of getting this contract?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 03:44:44 pm »
HI Tosh

you can always ask what they are currently paying. However, they wont always tell you the truth.

Offer them a free demonstration of your cleaning, this will show them how good you are.

Hope this helps

Andrew

P.s. I never worry about quoting to high, you win some and you loose some. :-)

Majestic

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 05:20:48 pm »
Would you pay £1200 , for something you can get for £600 . Some people just look at the price and not the quality. But go for it, you dont have it now so you have nothing to loose

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 06:12:38 pm »
It might depend on how they view health and safety - if they are on the ball I reckon your risk assess and method statement would go a long way.
It's a big hike in price but so it is for the domestic customers who usually have to pay double treble when a decent window cleaner replaces their Jack the Lad
Good Luck and it would be interesting to know the outcome :)

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 06:28:31 pm »
Have you thought of priceing the job and building in a Annual % increase, (price up as if using WFP) and if you get the job finnish building your system 3 days come down to 1 to two days.

Just a thought

Alan

Good luck...
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

Roy Harding

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 06:37:04 pm »
Tosh go for your max then negotiate, I Bet you get it.

If I had a job like that Wild Horses would not stop me getting it

Roy ;D.

Justin Ruggles

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 06:38:45 pm »
I just got a large contract, they had a few qutos and mine was the highest, they showed me one quto which was for £60 and they laughted, then they showed me the others God knows why, but they seamed happy with me for some reason not sure if the face fits like.

Look smart and be 100% professional and your do ok. Like someone has said you win some and lose some. Your easy worth £200 a day each.

Good Luck

Justin

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 07:14:28 pm »
Well, we'll try our best.  On the plus side I'm good with the administration (ie Risk Assessment, Method Statement and a well worded letter).

Also, the lad who was asked to do the quote and asked me to join with him; is a spot on bloke - posesses extremely well developed inter-personal skills - and cleans the manager's house; he's also friends with one of the other management.

But, he (the other window cleaner) stressed to me that this will not influence the final decision - but it can't go against us either.

Neither of us need the work, we're both very busy with our mainly residential round; so we're determined not to underprice; like I've done once before with a large hotel. :-[

Anyway, thanks all for the advice and encouragement.  Honest!

But on a final health and safety note; the new regulations can't be filtering down to businesses as we both still use ladders.  As does the establishment's current window cleaner!

I will hang up my 'spurs' though and get a WFP once I've paid the tax-man to stop smacking me; which could take a little bit of time!

gaza

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 09:03:10 pm »
TOSH: GOOD JOB ME AND BRETT ARNT AVAILABLE.EVERY W/C IN YOUR AREA SOUNDS AS THOUGH THEY ARE COWBOYS,SCRIM AND SCARPER MERCHANTS .Everyone youve spoke about does a bad job maybe there all sharing your bucket.

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

AuRavelling79

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 09:13:08 pm »
Tosh, has the prospective customer said anything about the current standard of window cleaning - are they concerned about the quality or are they happy with it?

Finding this out can influence whether you should err towards a very high priced perfectionist job or a cheap and cheerful "adequate" one. Somewhere in between probably!
It's a game of three halves!

rosskesava

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 10:03:37 pm »
Hi Tosh

We've done a few of those, albeit no where near that price, and what I said was that try us for one month and for them to have a look at the difference.

If they agree to that then the jobs yours.

First I tend to point out that the job is underpriced and as I'm in the same business the only aspect of window cleaning that can be cut back on is the time spent or the quality of work, both of which amount to the same thing.

It may also be worth asking just exactly what standard is expected at present and what was the job spec and are they certain that the work is being carried out.

If a w/c is not doing some windows then sorry, but I'd point it out but I'd add that I would never put another w/c'swork down but go and have a look at every window and for the person to decide for themselves.

At the moment I'm in the process of doing a quote for a pile of council 'housing' offices (where people pay rent etc) because they are paying for monthly cleans but getting three monthly ones.

It's the third time I have phoned the council about changing contractors to us as each time before the window were then done monthly for a few months but now a year on, it's gone back to them being done 3 monthly but now the council know it for certain.

When it come to commercial work if the w/c's are cheating - then tough.

Cheers

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 10:18:42 pm »
TOSH: GOOD JOB ME AND BRETT ARNT AVAILABLE.EVERY W/C IN YOUR AREA SOUNDS AS THOUGH THEY ARE COWBOYS,SCRIM AND SCARPER MERCHANTS .Everyone youve spoke about does a bad job maybe there all sharing your bucket.

GAZA
Such perfectionists, I can tell by the spelling. ::)

You wouldn't keep up with us fit southerners. ;)

tomo

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2005, 10:39:27 pm »
hello everyone, just new here. got the site add. from tosh top bloke. w/c for nine yrs this month. look forward to chatting with you all.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2005, 11:07:28 pm »
hello everyone, just new here. got the site add. from tosh top bloke. w/c for nine yrs this month. look forward to chatting with you all.
Hi Tomo, if you know Tosh then are you local to us Chepstow cleaners?

AuRavelling79

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2005, 11:11:39 pm »
.....got the site add. from tosh top bloke....

Welcome aboard tomo - but I can't help thinking you're a poor judge of character if you think Tosh is a top bloke... ;D

Only joking Tosh - don't moderate me!
It's a game of three halves!

rosskesava

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2005, 11:38:21 pm »
Hi Tomo

Welcome.

If you know Tosh then your at a disadvantage to begin with.  ;D

There's so much usefull info on this forum and it's helped me loads.

Cheers

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2005, 04:47:51 pm »
Hi Tomo, if you know Tosh then are you local to us Chepstow cleaners?

It's Tom from Lydney, strong Welsh Valley's accent.  The one that could do with a shave and a haircut.   ;)

He's meant to be dropping some paperwork round to me; he received a phone call from the place we priced saying they'd found a directive with regards to their exact window cleaning requirements; frequency and stuff.

So that'll mean re-evaluting our price.

Londoner

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2005, 09:17:21 am »
Tosh      Back on the subjects of quotes in general. A friend of mine is a builder and he said that when people want work done on their house they usually get a few quotes but almost never take lowest one.

I've always tried to remember that.

gaza

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2005, 05:07:17 pm »
hi TOMMO:ANOTHER PERSON TO SHARE TOSHES BUCKET ;D

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2005, 05:33:57 pm »
Tosh

Sounds like a big job.  That would indeed be top pricing round here.
Sometimes, when I've been going for a big contract, if I want it and the client thinks I'm pricing too high, the following has sometimes worked:
I offer them a deal "I don't know exactly what the last w/c was doing but I can see the results.  You don't know my standard of work, other than what I tell you.  You were obviously willing to pay £600 but not happy with the results otherwise you wouldn't be looking for a better job..What would you be happy paying?"
Maybe the client will say something like £800, who knows.  Whatever.
Re-state your price £1200. then say "we'll do the job as we do it, when we're finished, I am confident that you will see clearly why it has to be the price I've quoted.  If you honestly think it is still only worth say £800 or £900 then you pay me that.  You have the windows cleaned and I don't come back again.  But I am sure it won't come to that.  You will be surprised at the difference when you see the way we work."
What can they say?
Anyway I'm sure you've tried the gist of that before, I have, and most of the time it works.

Hope all goes well, may the golden eagle drop his load upon your head.
Pj