Poll

Which one of three adverts looks better to you? (please see attachments)

ad4yell 61mm by 64mm
ad4yell 61mm by 99mm
ad4yell 125mm by 64mm
none
advertising in Yellow Pages
« on: January 04, 2006, 01:30:57 am »
I have never advertised in Yellow Pages.  This year I think of placing an ad, choosing between:

1. The Quarter Column ad (61mm x 64mm) with 3 colours on a white background - £791.00+vat

2. The Three Eighths Column ad (61mm x 99mm) with photographs in full process colour - £1383.00+vat

3. The Double Quarter Column ad (125mm x 64mm) with photographs in full process colour - £1845.00+vat

Can you advise whether it worth going for a bigger advert? 
Has anybody managed to get it cheaper than the list price of advertising?
Are prices different where you are?

The artwork is mine, any comments welcome.
Thank you for voting.
Regards,

Arthur

Tim Downer

Re: advertising in Yellow Pages
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 10:26:00 am »
Arthur,
They all look very good to me, but the one that grabbed my attention was the larger one with more photo's......which say more than lots of wording.
When you browse through the yellow pages, not that many have photo's, so this one would stand out......However, it does come with a high price!!
There has been a couple of postings on this forum discussing Yellow pages etc....but it worked for me.

Regards

Tim
Tim Downer
Manager

"The difference between Ordinary and Extraordinary.....is that little Extra"

bulldug

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 12:15:53 pm »
I just got my first customer from yell 118247.
She phoned up looking for an oven cleaning company in her area and they gave my company number etc...
Good thing about it was that I applied for the free insert online, so cost me nowt!!
Now THATS the kind of advertising I like LOL
Tom
Oven Valeting Services..Forget nicotine patches, give us a call and we'll stop your oven smoking!!

M Walker

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 09:14:32 pm »
Hi Arthur the bottom advert looks very nice although a tad expensive it is in the same format as one I took out last year it naturally stands out because the shape is different than your average ad that was the advice I was given last september when I started my business within the first week I had secured a contract that almost paid for the ad in the first month. My experience with the yellow pages is that it is a very good meduim in which to get noticed and whilst my phone is not permanently ringing I get enquireys every week I have definatley made money from the yellow pages
Regards
Mark
The Exeter Cleaning Company

the red carpet

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 10:33:32 pm »
THE ONES WITH THE PICTURES DEFINETLY STAND OUT A LOT MORE AND LOOK A LOT MORE PROFESSIONAL.
DONT KNOW IF ITS WORTH THE EXTRA AS IV NEVER DONE IT MYSELF, BUT YOU DONT KNOW TILL YOU TRY.

MY FIRST AD WITH THEM COMES OUT IN FEB FULL COLOUR ABOUT QUARTER PAGE £2400

I THINK THE SECRET IS TO STICK OUT AND TO DO THAT IT WILL DEPEND ON YOUR LOCAL BOOK AND THE COMPETITION

IN SOME CATAGORIES YOU ONLY NEED A SMALL BOX AD TO STAND OUT

IN MY OPINION IF YOU HAVE THE BIGGEST BRIGHTEST MOST INFORMATIVE AD IN YOUR SECTION THE PUBLIC WILL PERCIEVE YOU TO BE THE MOST PROFESSIONAL COMPANY, THEY WILL ALSO PERCIEVE YOU TO BE THE DEAREST THOUGH AND THIS CAN BE A GOOD OR BAD THING DEPENDING ON HOW YOU ARE MARKETING YOUR BUISNESS

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 10:43:47 pm »
...MY FIRST AD WITH THEM COMES OUT IN FEB FULL COLOUR ABOUT QUARTER PAGE £2400...
In Yellow Pages, covering Newcastle upon Tyne area, such ad would cost £2765+VAT

craig jwc

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 10:56:10 pm »
I'm putting an advert in Yellow pages this year and because i have never done this before i was told you are given a discount for 1st time advertisers.
Are these prices with discount?

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 11:09:05 pm »
...Are these prices with discount?

The prices are without discount, I have also been offered a discount, but only for the smallest ad - The Quarter Column (61mm x 64mm).

Could you tell us what kind of discount have they offer to you?

Regards
Arthur

the red carpet

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 11:15:23 pm »
i didnt get any discount i did try but was told it wasnt negotiable,

arthur, my ad is about £1900-£2000 plus vat. its prob a bit smaller than quarter page to be fair, i cant remember, i think the charge more for areas with a higher population as my ad is about £100 cheaper in the directory i chose than my neighbouring directory.

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 11:23:29 pm »
Please use this link to see what Yellow Pages charges are in your area.

This topic has attracted a 100 visits, in one day… 
It looks like advertising in Yellow Pages seems to be of interest to all of us.
I would like to thank you for your responds and votes.
Regards,
Arthur

darrenlee

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 02:20:54 am »
hi ad looks okay

By the way, before I forget. Yellow Page ads do not generate substantial sales. If fact you would not even make your money back from an ad of that nature. Most of the time, you are pouring good money down the drain. If you do have an ad in the Yellow Pages then it should be just a small one for reference purposes only. You can take that as gospel. I defy anybody to tell me any different.

I look forward to reading your postings.

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 12:37:35 pm »
Darren,

I have never advertised in Yellow Pages, but I cannot disagree with what the red carpet says:
IN MY OPINION IF YOU HAVE THE BIGGEST BRIGHTEST MOST INFORMATIVE AD IN YOUR SECTION THE PUBLIC WILL PERCIEVE YOU TO BE THE MOST PROFESSIONAL COMPANY, THEY WILL ALSO PERCIEVE YOU TO BE THE DEAREST THOUGH AND THIS CAN BE A GOOD OR BAD THING DEPENDING ON HOW YOU ARE MARKETING YOUR BUISNESS

A small ad for "the reference purposes only" does not cost any money, since all companies eligible for free listing, however, I am not sure if such ad will be noticed.

Regards,
Arthur

Jon T.C.

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 03:06:05 pm »
I have never advertised in Yellow Pages.  This year I think of placing an ad, choosing between:

1. The Quarter Column ad (61mm x 64mm) with 3 colours on a white background - £791.00+vat

2. The Three Eighths Column ad (61mm x 99mm) with photographs in full process colour - £1383.00+vat

3. The Double Quarter Column ad (125mm x 64mm) with photographs in full process colour - £1845.00+vat

Can you advise whether it worth going for a bigger advert? 
Has anybody managed to get it cheaper than the list price of advertising?
Are prices different where you are?

The artwork is mine, any comments welcome.
Thank you for voting.
Regards,

Arthur

If your are a member of an Association, get in touch with them and ask if they are doing corporate advertising.

I did - and a quarter column in b&w cost me £80 + vat!!

I'd have a shop around and haggle with them :o
Elite Cleaning Solutions

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2006, 03:38:20 pm »
If your are a member of an Association, get in touch with them and ask if they are doing corporate advertising.

I did - and a quarter column in b&w cost me £80 + vat!!

I'd have a shop around and haggle with them :o

What association do you mean, is it SCSF?
Tnx,
Arthur
By the way in Newcastle area a quarter column ad in YP in b&w cost 527+VAT.

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2006, 04:56:55 pm »
By the way in Newcastle area a quarter column ad in YP in b&w cost 527+VAT.
In Hereford the same ad cost 278+VAT :o
I wonder why?

Jon T.C.

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2006, 02:31:01 pm »
Arthur - I have e-mailed you.

Regards Jon
Elite Cleaning Solutions

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2006, 05:59:45 pm »
Tnx

domestic bliss

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2006, 05:44:54 pm »
Thats great  if you have the cash.  but i have had no end of work just by placing the free one line ad in the yellow pages and yell.com