Tim Downer

Staff Uniforms.....
« on: November 25, 2005, 05:03:43 pm »
Hi all

Just wondering with you guys in the Office cleaning side of the buisness, do you have uniformed cleaners? If so, do you have polo shirts, t-shirts, or short sleeved shirts, tabards etc etc. or do they turn up in jeans and old t-shirts....
Asking, because in the next year i am quoting for a very large office cleaning contract (around 10 staff each evening....!!)
I know most companies say they have uniformed staff, but do you really?? Didnt know which you guys used or prefered.

Kind Regards

Tim
Tim Downer
Manager

"The difference between Ordinary and Extraordinary.....is that little Extra"

Jake

Re: Staff Uniforms.....
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 05:19:40 pm »
Tim

My brother, who has a medium size office cleaning company in Exeter, has all his staff kitted out in either polo shirts or tabards, it portrays a more professional look, and looks tidier to boot!

I worked for him as a supervisor when he first started, and some of the cleaners that turned up had to be seen to believed!, muddy boots, wellingtons and ripped clothes, it just doesn't  look good at all, especially in prestigious offices.

Regards........Jake Dillon
Exeter, Devon

Simon H

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 05:25:59 pm »
Hi Tim

WE supply all staff with polo's,t's,Tabards for the girls, work trousers, boots ,waterproofs and Hi Vis

THEY STILL BLOODY WELL TURN UP IN JEANS DIRTY OLD SHIRTS,AND TRAINERS  HAD ONE GUY TURN UP TO DO A SITE CLEAN WEARING OPEN TOE SANDALS 
I GIVE UP!!!

Simon
Some days it's just not worth gnawing through the leather straps.

blacksheep

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 08:16:46 pm »
i have bought tabords for girls ,polos for boys  all will were black trousers and black shoes

CMS

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 08:27:31 pm »
Same here.............Polo shirts for men and tabards for ladies.

Mind you, loads of women prefer the polo shirts!

domestic bliss

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 08:29:30 pm »
I just work on my own and i wear a black polo shirt with my company name on and black trousers.

Art

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 11:00:58 pm »
Polo shirts for all and black trousers, be it commercial domestic or new builds it's all about being professional imo

Regards Arthur

JJdomestics

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2005, 11:20:11 am »
Hi

I have supplied my ladies with tabards and one refused to wear it as she said it was a health and safety risk, she said that she was catching the pocket on things and this could cause her to fall. Has anyone else hasd this problem? I think she is just being a pain.

Art

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2005, 11:46:49 am »
Bit tricky when it could be a h&s issue just give her a polo instead 

dustdees

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2005, 01:13:43 pm »
I'm getting my girls Bright Royal Blue V neck  T's ( with gold company name stitched in)  with navy blue combats and dark coloured shoes/trainers.

I have worned combat's in my other jobs and the pockets are so handy to put stuff in.

blacksheep

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2005, 03:19:18 pm »
jj when i used to were one it used to catch in everything, i even took it off when i was upstairs cleaning. dustdees i went for the same colours till they made a mistake in the stichen now i got navy blue with logo ,looks good too

soapscentz

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2005, 01:59:21 am »
Hi guys and girls,
i too have tabards for girls and polo shirts for men,i was thinking of having fuller uniform though fleece's and trousers etc, problem is with the high turnover of staff in this industry could cost a fortune with changing over of staff, anybody else have this problem, what do you do? :)

blacksheep

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2005, 04:40:12 pm »
hi there, if you put a clause in there contract that their uniform cost £36 pound and has to be returned when they leave otherwise you have the right to withold this amount from their final pay, they usually give it back.

dustycorner

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2005, 05:35:26 pm »
Better still  charge them £10 per item if not returned at the end of employment, this is by no means extortionate i recently got my hands on a centre parcs employee handbook they charge £50 per item!

Cheers Mark.

CMS

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2005, 07:45:51 pm »
I'm getting my girls Bright Royal Blue V neck  T's ( with gold company name stitched in)  with navy blue combats and dark coloured shoes/trainers.

I have worned combat's in my other jobs and the pockets are so handy to put stuff in.

Including cigarettes!

soapscentz

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2005, 10:24:18 pm »
Hi there, the clause bit sounds good what about the hygiene factor, do you give the new staff old uniform from past employees, or do you buy new every time?  8)

Tim Downer

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2005, 06:33:57 am »
Well thank you all for your replies, definately given me some food for thought.....including the clause for making sure the uniform is brought back!! I like that one.
I will do a search on the internet for suppliers and see the styles and colours, then make my mind up. Still have to decide wether to just let them wear jeans and trainers....or black trousers as it is a very prestigious building / enviroment. Although most of the cleaners will be working in the early evening.....just a couple of day workers.

Kind Regards

Tim
Tim Downer
Manager

blacksheep

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2005, 06:44:40 pm »
hi PDS, they must have metal toe shoes in most places,jeans would be warmer on a building site, if its a fancy building id go for black shoes /trousers no trainers, as its a prestigious building they may go for a company with a smart image plus your price would reflect this

CMS

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2005, 08:09:52 pm »
Don't forget that there is sometimes a fine line between 'uniforms' and PPE.

Where PPE is required it is our legal responsibility to provide it and it must be fit for the purpose. On builders cleans this should include safety shoes, hard hats and hi-viz vests.

Tim Downer

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2005, 05:42:10 am »
Sorry blacksheep and CMS, thank you for your replies, but we have been doing builders cleans for a year and a half now, so are aware of the PPE etc etc
However my original post was enquiring about commercial office cleaning uniforms.....as i am thinking of going that way. The building facilities manager at this very large building who i was talking to, is interested in changing his cleaning company and liked what i had to say. He wants to meet up with me sometime in December to talk further and am collating some thoughts and ideas before the meeting.

Also, just sidetracking a little.....been wanting to change my user name from Timbob (nickname) to just Tim. Had a problem a while ago as it wouldn't change. However, i have just noticed my user name has gone to Tim B !! Whats the B for? Will have to see if i can change it again. Only wanted the Tim Part.   ???

Regards

Tim
Tim Downer
Manager