window wonder

High level dusting help please????
« on: June 05, 2009, 07:22:50 pm »
Hello folks , My main game is washing of the windows  :)
I have been asked to dust down some internal office  hanging light fittings which are about 15ft high off the floor .6ft long 2ft wide . They are concaved so are holding alot of dust.
There are pbobably 300 of them. They are fixed but move if pushed .
I had a look today in a man lift and they are thick with dust !
The staff members are complaining about dust falling on them . so they need dusted down .
My problem is access . Most are above desks that cant be moved so the man lift is not an option nor step ladders as for the working at heights regs .
I was looking for advice on how to do this job only thing i could think of was a feather duster type thing on an extendable pole or a floor duster thing that they use on large floor areas, it would need to be as light as poss??
can anyone help with this one ???? ???
slwcn member

BDCS

Re: High level dusting help please????
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 10:40:23 pm »
Any photos ? You can hire a tiny genie thats electric, and will go through a std doorway. You will need to vacuum them else you will just move the dust

vacman

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 11:15:21 pm »
The "floor duster thing" you speak of is a dust-mop and is designed to be used FLAT on a FLAT surface. It gathers the dust by keeping it at floor level. It has to be kept FLAT (!) at all times.

The only way to approach this is to damp-dust or use suction. Any thing else will just cause the dust to scatter. In fact damp-dusting can only really be done on lightly dusty surfaces; most bedrooms have more dust than can be collected by damp-dusting, so i dont think that will work on really dusty lights.

Even though you say that the desks can't be moved, they are going to get covered in dust, especially if you dry-dust (feather duster etc).

The Great One

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 09:48:56 am »
Hi

Another issue is the heat given off by the lights.

This will stick the dust to the light fixture. Most of the dust are skin flakes and therefore organic, the skin cells will melt under the heat thereby creating a sticky dust residue.

Regards

Martin 8)

martin19842

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 11:16:32 am »
hi there

you can get a desk span tower, they are avaible from all the hire companies, that would be the best solution.

regards

martin

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 10:28:37 am »
Here is a link to the span tower

Fits through doors nicely

http://www.abilityint.co.uk/Folding%20Base%20Aluminium%20Scaffold%20Tower.html

Dave