starion

Spots before my eyes
« on: June 25, 2006, 10:14:03 am »
Just used my second hand tucker sytem for 1st time. Using a merlin then through a 25ltr di.
 Cleaned all frames first then glass after. Thoroughly rinsed(or at least i think i did!) left them to dry and to my amazement, spots everywhere!

Tds out of merlin is around 30, tested tds after di and it was 6. Have i rinsed enough or should i change resin? What about if i give it a shake( not easy with a 25 ltr vessel) or do i need to get new resin?

If the latter, where is the best place to buy new resin?

cheers, callum.

p.s. it was my own windows, mrs not too happy, especially the leaks  :o

Paul Coleman

Re: Spots before my eyes
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 10:33:37 am »
Just used my second hand tucker sytem for 1st time. Using a merlin then through a 25ltr di.
 Cleaned all frames first then glass after. Thoroughly rinsed(or at least i think i did!) left them to dry and to my amazement, spots everywhere!

Tds out of merlin is around 30, tested tds after di and it was 6. Have i rinsed enough or should i change resin? What about if i give it a shake( not easy with a 25 ltr vessel) or do i need to get new resin?

If the latter, where is the best place to buy new resin?

cheers, callum.

p.s. it was my own windows, mrs not too happy, especially the leaks  :o

A TDS of 006 is usually OK on maintenance cleans if you rinse a lot (IMO) but I'm not convinced that it's OK for first cleans.  Also, what type of frames do you have?
The resin may need changing but there are other possibilities.  If the hose is new that can cause some contamination.  Maybe disconnect the hose and test the TDS immediately after the resin?  If that's a lot lower than 006, it may pay you to run pure water through your hose for a while.  If you don't want to waste the water perhaps you'd like to circulate it back round into the tank?  I understand that shaking the resin can help for a while but I don't envy you with a vessel that size.
Resin costs don't seem to vary much from one supplier to another but beware of very cheap resin as it may be recharged or the wrong size granules and won't last as long.  If you have a supplier within a few miles, you may find it easier to collect (you don't state your location).

starion

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 12:36:26 pm »
 I've got white alluminium windows, it is a new reel of 100m microbore. I'm in bristol by the way.

Will clean again later but will run water without going through new hose and check tds after.

Doing first cleans after years of trad with fairy so might be wise to get some new resin, don't want any complaints after i've told my customers the results will be as good if not better than trad.

cheers for the advice, callum. ;D

bumper

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 12:45:51 pm »
Get your pockets and ladders  out, go round and do a proper job ;D
                          Bumper

starion

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 12:55:04 pm »
  Bumper, the thought has already crossed my mind, but after spending a lot of money and surviving a serious fall i think i'd better stick with it.

Will probably still do a few trad, got some funny customers, had them for years though.

Wish wfp was as easy as filling a bucket full of water and off we go, ho-hum.

cheers, callum.

bumper

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 01:07:13 pm »
I carnt afford wfp,and not had a serious fall yet,but i have triped over kerbs a few times, and sliped of bottom rungs

macc

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 02:27:48 pm »
Hi callem.  Alluminium frames are a real pain in the back side. They will come good but the first time realy give the frames extra. Ive a few on my books but to be honest i avoid them.

macc

Paul Coleman

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 03:44:06 pm »
I've got white alluminium windows, it is a new reel of 100m microbore. I'm in bristol by the way.

Will clean again later but will run water without going through new hose and check tds after.

Doing first cleans after years of trad with fairy so might be wise to get some new resin, don't want any complaints after i've told my customers the results will be as good if not better than trad.

cheers for the advice, callum. ;D

As Macc says, it could be the frames.  I've had more issues with those type of frames than any other.  Were they oxidizing? (a lot of milky coloured liquid coming down when you cleaned the top frame).  It may take a few cleans and extra rinsing to bring them up better.  Also, the contamination may be from the new hose.  Let it run through for a while before testing or test it imediately after DI.