paul alan

bolting through chasis or floor?
« on: July 15, 2017, 11:26:50 pm »
Do l need to bolt through chasis or will floor suffice?

transit t280 swb 650 ltr tank with frame.

simon123

Re: bolting through chasis or floor?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 12:07:21 am »
Neither strap the thing down and save a fortune on your insurance !
I am getting too old to be around people who  don't understand the concept of  loyalty and honesty.

Dry Clean

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 12:40:55 am »
You can bolt through the floor as long as you have plates to stop the bolts ripping through it in an accident.

paul alan

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 08:27:07 am »
I am strapping it down, just need to put some strong eyebolts through.

M12 high tensile, just if lm bolting through chasis l need 250mm length or if not then l can get much shorter ones.

Spruce

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 08:42:01 am »
I am strapping it down, just need to put some strong eyebolts through.

M12 high tensile, just if lm bolting through chasis l need 250mm length or if not then l can get much shorter ones.

Another member on here put a photo up of a crash tested system he fitted from Grippatank.  Here is a couple of photos of his I scavenged off his post.

Grippa supplied some 2 part epoxy glue to stick the plates on. So you could phone Grippa and ask them if they will sell these spreader plates and glue to use.

I wish the underneath of my Citroen Relay 04 looked like his Citroen Dispatch. Mines full of rust.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

paul alan

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 09:28:57 am »
Thanks spruce was hoping you would see this!

Spruce

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 05:28:52 pm »
For me the first thing I did when I bought my Citroen Relay van was to bid on a factory full steel bulkhead on Ebay.  The factory fitted unit was much more robust than the after market tin can examples you can order from most van accessory outlets.

If you have a head on collision at 50 or 60mph you won't have much of a chance no matter how secure your tank is. Crash tested tanks are tested at speeds around 30mph.

My frame is secured with high tensile bolts through the floor and have used spreader plates. I believe it safe. I don't go speeding around in the van with a full load of water.  I leave plenty of space between myself and the car in front. If someone overtakes and settles into the gap then I make a new gap. I do my best to keep out of trouble and stick to the speed limit of 50mph on single carriage roads.

When we did our advance drivers course many years ago we were taught that our safety on the roads can be controlled by us in the majority of situations. If someone tailgates me I gradually slow down to create an even bigger gap to the vehicle in front.

I've usually found the slow lane on the motorway is the quickest so tend to just go with the flow. I don't go speeding through intersections even if I have the right of way. Its the same at junctions controlled by traffic lights.

I've been going to the same MOT station for many years. I once spoke to my tester and his opinion was that if I drilled through the chassis to secure my tank I would be weakening the structural integrity of my van and as an inspector he would fail the van for that.
However know of at least 3 cleaners around our neck of the woods with tanks secured through the chassis and none have failed their MOT for that at other MOT stations.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

nathankaye

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 05:41:56 pm »
The anchors in my van had been laid flat and boarded over plus fibreglass on top.
Which makes for a great van for this job hence why I bought the van.
Obvious downside I had to drill through it all to make my own points. So I drilled through floor like most have said on here and using strong eye bolts and spacer plates.  I have a 500ltr upright tank with 2tonne ratchet straps (on my vid i made mistake of saying 1 n half tonne (not sure u can buy 1.5tonne straps!😕)  people who have seen vid tell me to get bigger straps but 2tonne should be fine. However i have ordered 5tonne straps.
But all my work is local so im not exceeding more than 30 or 40mph. 

If i travel further in van it aint for cleaning windows so i drain the tank instead so I aint carrying the weight
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 05:42:07 pm »
neither.

i got my garage to bolt my frame to the eyelet holes with angle iron.my tanks 500L not 650L though.

this way the tank and frame is easy to remove when i come to sell/swap my van.just unscrew 4 bolts.(and no holes in the van floor).
price higher/work harder!