the king

Re: Are there any trad window cleaners on here these days?
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2018, 08:33:21 pm »
trad wfp there is a place for both, i do 10 hours a week trad on shop fronts, and a few jobs here and there and a lot of wfp , i dont care what method  i use as long as it does a good job and is quick , some jobs dont like wfp and is quicker trad most is quicker wfp its swings and roundabouts wfp is my 1st choice but trad is some times quicker easer and beta

alank

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2018, 09:11:42 pm »
I'm a window cleaner and can use all the tools  I just choose the most suitable for the job as they are required  ;D

dazmond

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2018, 08:28:12 am »
Even most of the die hard tradders near where I work have gone WFP now albeit making all the newbie mistakes....

1.crap poles with rubbish clamps...
2.trolley systems and barrels

I do get the squeegee out a few days a week for the odd bit of work but it's getting less and less...

Even with WFP lots of these trad guys are years behind with everything(prices,round software,electronic payments,etc)...scruffy football tops and tracksuits for work driving about in unsigned old vans.....long may it continue because it makes me stand out above the rest.... ;D
price higher/work harder!

nathankaye

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2018, 12:52:11 pm »
Haha on a whole I also agree with  dazmond, its a broad sweeping statement but that's what's been my experience.
Back end of last year I had a strange phone call from a chap who claims hes been working 25yrs in an area where I worked. We were both suprised as I told him ive been there over 15yrs. Anyways he wanted to buy my round and i told him I wasnt selling.
So skip forward a month and im in that area working and thus scruffy dressed chap with the cheap plastic  blue pouches (that i think we all must have started with, haha i did all those many years ago but soon realised there were naff and bought unger ergotec pouches ever since) and introduced himself as the chap who phoned me.    We had a pleasant chat but I thought if hes got over 25yrs doing this, why on earth hasnt he tidied his appearance up rather than track suits n trainers and beginners pouches and cloths all over the place.
Theres teams of lads all over my areas looking like this, ive yet to see a uniformed smart looking trad worker in my parts
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Shrek

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2018, 01:12:45 pm »
Haha on a whole I also agree with  dazmond, its a broad sweeping statement but that's what's been my experience.
Back end of last year I had a strange phone call from a chap who claims hes been working 25yrs in an area where I worked. We were both suprised as I told him ive been there over 15yrs. Anyways he wanted to buy my round and i told him I wasnt selling.
So skip forward a month and im in that area working and thus scruffy dressed chap with the cheap plastic  blue pouches (that i think we all must have started with, haha i did all those many years ago but soon realised there were naff and bought unger ergotec pouches ever since) and introduced himself as the chap who phoned me.    We had a pleasant chat but I thought if hes got over 25yrs doing this, why on earth hasnt he tidied his appearance up rather than track suits n trainers and beginners pouches and cloths all over the place.
Theres teams of lads all over my areas looking like this, ive yet to see a uniformed smart looking trad worker in my parts

Same here , although in my area it’s not just the tradders that dress scruffy or just in jeans/ trackies / trainers no top when it’s hot. It’s the wfpers too. Someone must’ve retired recently in my area because I’m getting a lot of enquiries from people who have paid £4 a house for the last 20 years ... I get no reply when I message them my price  ;D

RPCCS

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2018, 02:53:43 pm »
Still 2 cleaners round my area doing it totally trad. One has I think one permanent worker and about 5 doleys. Different faces every time.
Cheers Rich

Johnny B

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2018, 12:11:53 pm »
Even most of the die hard tradders near where I work have gone WFP now albeit making all the newbie mistakes....

1.crap poles with rubbish clamps...
2.trolley systems and barrels

I do get the squeegee out a few days a week for the odd bit of work but it's getting less and less...

Even with WFP lots of these trad guys are years behind with everything(prices,round software,electronic payments,etc)...scruffy football tops and tracksuits for work driving about in unsigned old vans.....long may it continue because it makes me stand out above the rest.... ;D

Sounds a bit like me you're describing there Dazmond!

I drive an old van, not signwritten, I wear work trousers and dark top with nothing to show my name!

I don't carry business cards or advertise, although I do have a facebook page.

Started up here 7 years ago and now I'm snowed under with work!

The reason? I care more about the quality of my work above everything and, without sounding boastful, I have earned a good name in my locality and that alone is all the advertising I need.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2018, 02:22:55 pm »
I'm a window cleaner and can use all the tools  I just choose the most suitable for the job as they are required  ;D

Me too Alank. There's an expression, 'Horses for coarses' and it fits this trade well.
I have many friends who are window cleaners and at least two would probably say that the rookie mistake they made was spending large amounts of cash on van systems on somebody elses recommendation which are now virtually obsolete as they like me find we can cover 90% of our work much quicker with a trolley.

We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

alank

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2018, 02:37:20 pm »
Exactly mate. If a trolley suits your work the best then it's a trolley that you use. One of the best things I learned in my previous employment all those years ago was always use the best tools and techniques available not incurring excessive cost to the business, ie you do not need a gold hammer to knock nails in ;D

NWH

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2018, 04:05:22 pm »
Few shops traditionally insides obviously,I could literally go out on Monday with 1 microfiber and a couple of sill cloths and that would do me most weeks. 99.99% of the time I’m WFP.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2018, 06:01:40 am »
It's funny why folk choose/keep a window cleaner. Cheap/familiarity even pity do sometimes figure.

In my street there is a guy who cleans two or three within sight of my house. One house is across the (fairly busy) road. Trad and uses a 1990's reg Volvo estate; slow as slow can be - no frames.

The young woman there with her husband/partner and little kid is about 35; she works as the bookkeeper in one of my small industrials I clean in Avonmouth. I cleaned this industrial before she started there or moved in and we only recognised each other as neighbours when she got my payment slip to pay with my address on.

So I clean this industrial, she pays me £25 and chit chat "how much would you charge to do my house just down the road from you?" I said "without looking, about £12.50 to £15.00 every 8 weeks" (3 bed ex council semi)

"Oh I pay £12.00 every month but he doesn't do a very good job - trouble is I feel sorry for him ..."

:'(
It's a game of three halves!

Shrek

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2018, 07:33:07 am »
It's funny why folk choose/keep a window cleaner. Cheap/familiarity even pity do sometimes figure.

In my street there is a guy who cleans two or three within sight of my house. One house is across the (fairly busy) road. Trad and uses a 1990's reg Volvo estate; slow as slow can be - no frames.

The young woman there with her husband/partner and little kid is about 35; she works as the bookkeeper in one of my small industrials I clean in Avonmouth. I cleaned this industrial before she started there or moved in and we only recognised each other as neighbours when she got my payment slip to pay with my address on.

So I clean this industrial, she pays me £25 and chit chat "how much would you charge to do my house just down the road from you?" I said "without looking, about £12.50 to £15.00 every 8 weeks" (3 bed ex council semi)

"Oh I pay £12.00 every month but he doesn't do a very good job - trouble is I feel sorry for him ..."

:'(

Do you not charge more for an 8 weekly service? I would’ve thought £12.50 would be your monthly price. I charge more and it has transformed my round completely

AuRavelling79

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2018, 10:14:30 am »
Well these are non-bay windowed semi's and although I said £12.50 to £15.00 (without looking) it would have been £14 or £15 when "I looked".

It's a game of three halves!

Shrek

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2018, 12:18:10 pm »
Well these are non-bay windowed semi's and although I said £12.50 to £15.00 (without looking) it would have been £14 or £15 when "I looked".

Ok 👍

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2018, 05:02:49 pm »
I remember my mum's old window cleaner when I was a kid. He was a leather and scrim man. No squeegee!  Always had a twinkle in his eye.

I was off school sick one day when he turned up. He missed the bathroom window completely and smeared the biggest wet bird poop you've ever seen all over my bedroom window. Made a right mess. Knocked for his money and left.
When I asked my mum about it, she said, 'I can't pack him up because he's such a friendly old soul.'

I'd swear he died window cleaning. He was still going strong when I started and if momory serves, I think he was 84 when he died and he was seen cleaning windows during the month he died.
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

Jonathan s

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2018, 07:24:00 pm »
I’m still fully trad and will be for a couple of years yet. Due to circumstances .    I’ve asked for some advice/help on here and was told to crack on with what I’ve got for the time being.     I’m still unsure how to progress and am open to ideas.