jeff1

Me again guy's
« on: June 20, 2008, 08:17:16 pm »
Sorry to bother you guy's & ladies again, My youngest daughter who is in MOD property at the moment and is moving house next month, now most of us know what the MOD inspections are like ::)

On a dark green, I believe foam backed carpet, one of the kids spilled chicken and mushroom pot noodle on one of the carpets and its left, what looks like a luminous yellow stain.
She tried hot soapy water, the wife's Vax with Vax carpet cleaner and then a stain remover from Asda's and so far no Joy, its still there.

Any idea's what we could buy to remove it, local products would be ideal if at all possible.

Thanks again Guy's & ladies

Re: Me again guy's
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 08:38:07 pm »
Sounds permanent to me.

I don't think they are as fussy as they used to be. They certainly won't have any qualms renting it out again like that.

Now years ago they checked for chips in the crockery. ::)

jeff1

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 08:45:22 pm »
Sounds permanent to me.

I don't think they are as fussy as they used to be. They certainly won't have any qualms renting it out again like that.

Now years ago they checked for chips in the crockery. ::)
There still very strict Mike,
if a stain can't be romoved then She has to buy a new carpet.

They still check every detail of a property, the skirting boards, doors, condition of the Glass, paintwork, you know the sort of thing, even all the windows in and out have to be done, also the white plastic cladding on the front has to be cleaned, She's lucky her Dad and sister can do this Job for her.

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 08:49:19 pm »
If I was you then I'd tell her to get a pro in and say it's do or die. They can go to town on it knowing you would have to replace it anyway if it doesn't come out.

Got to be cheaper than a new carpet.

jeff1

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 08:57:27 pm »
Ok Thanks Mike I'll have a chat with her.

I don't know what it is they put in our food and drinks, but if it does that to carpets, what does it do to our insides??

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 09:11:00 pm »
Others on here may have a different view and are far more experienced and may have suggestions.

Ian Rochester

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 09:42:23 pm »
Jeff,

We do a lot of march out cleans, including the carpets, what she needs to do is get a local pro in and get him to clean it properly, they are always polyprop type carpets, we have blues ones up here (RAF base) and they will invariably clean up.

Get the lad to give you a receipt to show to the housing officer to say it has been professionally cleaned.

Also find out how old the carpet is, they are supposed to be changed every 6 years, however most are older than that as the housing dept don't have the money in their budgets to buy new, so in effect if the carpets are over 6 years they are past their write off date and they cannot charge you for them.

I'd be very surprised if they make her pay

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 09:50:50 pm »
There's always a way Jeff. Being ex forces I can't tell you how many holes in internal walls were filled with toothpaste then coloured back in  ;D
If it can't be cleaned then some could cut out the effected area and replace with another piece from somewhere else, or it could be professionally recoloured.
As a last resort (you won't find this in any carpet cleaner manuals) I would try and recolour with a permanent marker if you can match it up.

jeff1

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 10:08:24 pm »
Jeff,

We do a lot of march out cleans, including the carpets, what she needs to do is get a local pro in and get him to clean it properly, they are always polyprop type carpets, we have blues ones up here (RAF base) and they will invariably clean up.

Get the lad to give you a receipt to show to the housing officer to say it has been professionally cleaned.

Also find out how old the carpet is, they are supposed to be changed every 6 years, however most are older than that as the housing dept don't have the money in their budgets to buy new, so in effect if the carpets are over 6 years they are past their write off date and they cannot charge you for them.

I'd be very surprised if they make her pay
Thanks Lionheart
The ones this end are dark green and I think they are also the polyprop type carpets, If push comes to shove, I have a friend who can clean it professionally for her a little cheaper with a receipt, I told her I would give her a receipt that included the external cladding and w/c.
Most of the carpets were brand new when she moved in 12 months ago, so we can't get away with the good tip you gave.

There's always a way Jeff. Being ex forces I can't tell you how many holes in internal walls were filled with toothpaste then coloured back in ;D
If it can't be cleaned then some could cut out the effected area and replace with another piece from somewhere else, or it could be professionally recoloured.
As a last resort (you won't find this in any carpet cleaner manuals) I would try and recolour with a permanent marker if you can match it up.

Thanks Nell
I was in the forces but never had an MOD property, but I did learn some of the scams we all tended to pull, to beat the inspectors Lol
We already have the tooth paste ready Lol she did that in her last house, I told her I would give her the price of a pot of filler, but these people believe in doing everything on the cheap Lol. If the marker fails, then its the patch Job after careful inspection to get the match right regarding the shade.

I haven't heard of the marker one, but with the many hundreds of felt tip pens the kids have, I'm sure we can find a very good match   ;D

I have to do what a Dad has to do to help her, she's on her own now with 2 young daughters, she has to leave MOD property by next month and she's just secured private rented property, so the excitement of this may deviate her mind, so I just have to keep reminding her about the fines the MOD can empose on her, if the Jobs not right.

liahona

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 10:48:01 pm »
If its poly prop then it wouldnt have been bleached out but it sounds as though the blue dye has been removed and this is why there is a yellow stain. 

If you do use a magic marker or felt tip pen then make sure it is blue.  The stain is yellow, plus the blue "pen" equals whatever green you need.

Best, Dave.

*paul_moss

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 10:49:19 pm »
Dave missed you on the mobile today. Catch up with you next week.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

jeff1

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 11:29:49 pm »
If its poly prop then it wouldnt have been bleached out but it sounds as though the blue dye has been removed and this is why there is a yellow stain. 

If you do use a magic marker or felt tip pen then make sure it is blue.  The stain is yellow, plus the blue "pen" equals whatever green you need.

Best, Dave.

Good tip Thanks Dave ;)

from edge2edge

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 07:41:57 am »
Try thin bleach on mod carpets.If it doesnt get the stain out which it usually does then there is no harm done(been using this on them for 10 years)The carpets are replaced after 10 years.