micsampip

"Choosing a name for your cleaning business"
« on: May 11, 2005, 09:27:26 am »
 :) Hi again,

I just wondered how to check that the name you have chosen isn't being used by anyone else.

I believe there are severe consequencies if you are using the same name as another company.

Regards

Lisa  ;)

Computercleaner

Re: "Choosing a name for your cleaning business"
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 12:24:42 pm »
Hello Lisa

If you are a sole trader of partnership and are not a limited company I believe you can call yourself whatever you want - as you can imagine, there must be thousands of Builders called John Smith in the Country for example - I am not sure on this one but it might be the case that you need to register the name with company house if you are going to be vat registered (but don't quote me on that one).  Howevever, if you want to choose an original name you can go on the Business Link website and go into company names - you can find all company names on that or there is a website for Company House.  If you go into your search engine and put "Business Link" or "Company House" I am sure you will find your answers.

Good luck Lisa with your new venture - I am also setting up a business but just in computer cleaning.  You mentioned marketing in another article I would suggest you do some flashy flyers (you can do them yourself on Publisher) and distribute them through your local paper - ask them how much it would be to have them put into free or local papers (I have been told this is quite cheap and has a good circulation) I am presuming that you are looking at doing domestic not businesses so this would suite you - it would be no good for me because I am targeting businesses which basically means going round there or ringing them up.

Good Luck!
Oli
Oli

micsampip

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 01:42:00 pm »
 :) Thanks Oli, I have just searched the webcheck on Companies House web site. I think it's limited companies that have to worry about duplicating a company name, as you said, and not sole traders or partnerships.

I will look into the cost of having flyers delivered by newspapers. However, a few problems I have thought of are: the cost of printing them; the cost of having them circulated with the local paper; and many might end up in the bin.

If I put an ad in the paper, it will be a one off fee.

Just a thought,

Keep them coming though,

Lisa  ;)

pristineclean

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 05:34:30 pm »
Rather naively, I imagined that I was the first person EVER to think of calling a business Pristine Clean, and registered it with Companies House. I've since discovered that the real challenge is to find a cleaning company not called Pristine  ;D but even though I operate in the same business and area as similarly named companies, it's just a 'stuck with it' thing.  If I were to attempt to challenge a company using the name, on the basis that I've registered it, then they would have a perfectly reasonable counter claim of 'passing off' against me. The upside is, when we make a SPECTACULAR mare's nest out of a job, we can always claim it was the other Pristine that did it  ;)

You don't have to be a limited company to be VAT registered, but in my humble opinion, it's much better to be.

Good luck with your new venture
Callum

Computercleaner

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 06:00:31 pm »
Flyers can be expensive if you go and have them professionally done - I have designed mine myself on Publisher and invested in a printer to print my flyers - as the start up cost of my business was not a great deal I felt that buying a new all in one, printer, fax, copier would be a good investment - I decided upon an Epson Printer because the print cartridges are cheap and last a while.  I managed to print off all my flyers myself - and although it takes time it's worth it when you go and price it up with printers etc. I have soon realised that there really isn't much you can't do yourself if you have a go - I needed stickers to stick on the side of computers to show that cleaning had taken place and was quoted £190 to have this done - I ended up doing it myself and buying some Avery Labels and printed them off at a fraction of the price.  My printer cost me 94.00 but you can get them cheaper or even second hand but I think they are a good investment.  Honestly, Lisa if you need any help at all with designing flyers I am happy to help you.

Regads Oli
Oli

micsampip

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 10:16:14 pm »
 :) Thanks to Callum and Oli.

I also thought my business name was unique!!! That was until I saw reams of them listed on the Companies House website. Many great minds think alike!!

Thanks for the offer of help with my flyers. We've just bought a new Canon printer. The quality is excellent - I just need to learn how to use it properly!

Regards

Lisa  ;)

dustycorner

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 03:40:09 pm »
My company name was unique up until last year when another company appeared from bedfordshire with same name, only difference was they put a hyphen  between 1st and 2nd words. Although they had done nothing wrong legally i admit i do feel they have taken a liberty.

Cheers Mark.

maggie67

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 04:09:32 pm »
Hi Lisa

It would certainly be worth looking in your local telephone directory, whether a company of the same name is registered or not I would not want to use the same name, with the opposite perspective of a previous posting, you could be doing a far better job yet have your reputation damaged before you even begin if clients are unhappy with the other company of the same name.

There are 100's of names u can choose - I would not dream of using another companys' name. Choosing your own shows a little imagination if nothing else!

Mark I would be totally miffed too! Did you change your name then ?

Maggie :)

micsampip

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2005, 08:14:56 pm »
 :) Thanks for the advice everyone - I will make a careful search so as not to step on anyones toes!

Regards

Lisa  ;)

dustycorner

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2005, 04:27:43 pm »
Hi Maggie,

Hope your venture is going well, i didn't change name because its still quite distinctive and well known locally.

Cheers Mark

Jan K

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2005, 06:47:50 pm »
Hi guys!

Just to add my experiences......about 15 yrs ago I ran my own CV and word processing business. I called my business Discovery, having done my reserach and discovered (excuse the pun) there were no other businesses like mine with my chosen name in my area.

Nevertheless I did get a letter quite a few months later from a recruitment company who threatened me with court action if I didn't change my name as they were called Discovery before me......I subsequently changed my company name to Astral which cost me a few quid in letterheads and business cards (which I had done professionally), and the time consuming thought process enagaged in coming up with the new name!! In the end I actually preferred the name Astral and even came up with a cool logo to go with it!!  ;)
anyone with facebook can add me at this link ...  jan 'minkeedj' kindon  .... if you can be bothered lol

Sarah2005

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 11:00:04 am »
Rather naively, I imagined that I was the first person EVER to think of calling a business Pristine Clean, and registered it with Companies House. I've since discovered that the real challenge is to find a cleaning company not called Pristine  ;D but even though I operate in the same business and area as similarly named companies, it's just a 'stuck with it' thing.  If I were to attempt to challenge a company using the name, on the basis that I've registered it, then they would have a perfectly reasonable counter claim of 'passing off' against me. The upside is, when we make a SPECTACULAR mare's nest out of a job, we can always claim it was the other Pristine that did it  ;)

You don't have to be a limited company to be VAT registered, but in my humble opinion, it's much better to be.

Good luck with your new venture
Callum

Funny this was a name I had considered thinking I was quite clever and then on my first business course I made friends with this lady who told me her son had a window cleaning business.  Anyway at the end of the course I asked what his business was called as in the future I may have Clients looking for a window cleaner and she said 'PRISTINE CLEAN', he, he, he.  I then saw one of your posts and realised it was a popular choice  ;)

What I had confirmed on my Business Link course was that as a sole trader or partner, your name is not protected, anyone can copy it and I believe a Ltd Company can copy it, register it with Companies House and then you may be threatened to change it by them.  I was told you can copy names, however not recommended if a company running in your area and to check your local Yellow Pages etc.  Company House told me that basically if you use anything that is registered in another part of the country, then you want to hope they don't find out about you!  ;) 

Oh and be careful, a story we were told was back when the film 'Ghostbusters' was all the rage, 3 cleaners put themselves in the 'Yellow Pages' as 'Dustbusters', the problem being they were all in the same area, so if going in 'Yellow Pages' do check firstly that they don't have anything similar going in their next edition ;)