Richy L

How did you get your commercial work?
« on: March 27, 2006, 09:59:27 am »
I have sent emails to lots of local businesses canvasssing for work, explaining how i can clean from ground level for their peace of mind, but i dont seem to be getting anywhere.
Does anyone have any advice at all? ??? ???

How did you get your commercial work?

Richy

DASERVICES

Re: How did you get your commercial work?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 10:22:26 am »

Leeksons,

Problem with emails it doesn't get to the designated person, often it is the
  dippy receptionist who bins your mail instead of sending it to the Maintenance
  Manager. She is another problem if you call direct.

Another problem you will find is that a lot of businesses put their eggs in one
  basket, they only deal with you if offer window cleaning, office cleaning etc..
  as a package.

It's hard work but you need to do some digging on the company before you
  approach them so you can contact the right person.

Doug

Richy L

P @ F

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 10:33:24 am »
Just get in there any way you can , i much prefer to just turn up and ask who i should send the window quote to !
Did that last month and the receptionist even told me the budget for w/c !
Now im 7K better off for walking through a door .

Rich  P @ F
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Richy L

P @ F

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 10:48:02 am »
Im not saying it always works , but i think if you look presentable and are polite to the receptionist it gets you brownie points .
When i first tried for commercial i went to a few places and got told we already have one my dear , i then walked out , end of game , but i now say i recieved a phone call asking for a quote and i have rather stupidly misplaced the name and number of said caller , you either then get it written down for you or if your lucky the person pops down to see you !

;D ;D  SNEAKY EH !        Rich  P @ F

Richy L

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 10:53:56 am »
 ;D - but if it works..!

The only problem i can see is that i am only 21, i am confident enough to speak my piece, but i was just afraid they may not take me seriously as a profesional. As in they may think I'm just after some part time work instead of a working full time. (well except when it rains!)

geoffreyspecht

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 11:00:19 am »
just go for it and see what happens

P @ F

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 11:09:03 am »
I have the good fortune of having a very good looking signwritten van , i always wear or carry  spare clean printed clothing and of course i have a pole for every occassion !
This i believe is the key to looking proffesional , and just believe in yourself , you know you can do a good job so tell them that , without being too bolshy of course .
My comment about nice van is not to offend anybody out there working from a car with a ladder , thats how i started , i just really want this to work out nice for me , and if i have to spend lots to get there then that is what im going to do .

Leeksons , trad or wfp , car or van ,  out of interest ?

Rich   P @ F  

Richy L

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 11:11:11 am »
trad, but just turning to wfp, so would want to use that, ive just bought the backpack to get me started, and at the moment, im still in a car. When business picks up then i will be buying a van, asap

P @ F

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 11:30:04 am »
Right then your sorted , you know what size jobs you can handle with you backpack , so get out there and earn those pennies for a van !

As i said , i had a car and a B&Q ladder 2 years ago , i then went to an astra van with 175 L tank 6 months later , this i soon outgrew as i do tops and bottoms wfp , now i use the transporter with 425 L , im where i want to be equipment wise for a few years at least , not putting my eggs in one basket i want 3 weeks of dom and 1 week of com per month , ill be happy with that .

Rich   P @ F   

Richy L

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 11:38:37 am »
I've asked a local hotel if they want a window cleaner, and they have asked for a quote. The thing is, they want two:
1. All the outside
2. Inside down stairs, and out outside down stairs.

The majority of downstairs a smoking area mind you.

If all the outside was, lets say £100, what would you suggest for the inside, i realise you need to see it really, but do you think i should charge the same as just the outside for all the downstairs? more or less?

P @ F

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 11:49:37 am »
Not sure on that one , i try to avoid trad at all costs these days !
I know im far too lazy , but when i do trad i seem to take forever , i know i was not the quickest off a ladder but i just seem to make much more wfp.

I think most people charge 50% more for insides , i could be wrong .

Rich  P @ F

Richy L

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 11:55:41 am »
I dont mind using trad, and im quite quick at it, but i realise if you want better money you do have to make the switch to wfp! I just wanted to start building a portfolio of commercial work

P @ F

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2006, 12:23:03 pm »
And dont forget , a lot more commercials wont even let you on site if your not wfp these days , it might be different in your neck of the woods but they seem to be bang on with H&S down here .

Rich  P @ F

Richy L

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006, 12:25:58 pm »
ive got an appointment thisafternoon to price a commercial job! said i was using a ladderless window cleaning system, and they were impressed

P @ F

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2006, 12:30:41 pm »
Well put your best dungarees on then , and go get em tiger  ;D

AND remember , dont let them have your sweat for nothing !

BUT remember , dont be too greedy if you really want or need it .

Rich  P @ F

gaza

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2006, 12:53:31 pm »
its called a numbers game,nothing is 100% failure cus if you dont get anything for 99% of the time the 100 th you will succed and if you fail that one you have gained knowledge at leastt so you havent lost anything except a bit of shoe leather.

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO