MJH

Running pump directly from van battery!!
« on: May 29, 2007, 09:16:11 am »
I am looking at running my pump directly from my van battery, is this the best method? or should i run it of a seperate battery to avoid my van failing. i have a varistream installed aswell.
Cheers Matt

Spursboy1972

Re: Running pump directly from van battery!!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 09:19:37 am »
Run it off a seperate battery. get yourself a 1ooamp leisure battery (about £40- £45) Then get a split relay charger (£11.75 towsure)that will run form your main battery through and connect through the relay. This will charge the battery whilst the engine is running as long as youyr main vehicle battery is chargerd. You will never need to remove and charge second battery or carry a spare.
Clear Vision~"The Difference is Clear"

Southampton- Hampshire

LWC

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 09:21:52 am »
DO NOT RUN IT OFF YOUR VAN BATTERY

i was told not to do this and i was like oh it will be fine! a few months later i had starting troubles and ended up having to get a new battery and a new alternator...

and i was off for a couple of weeks and cost me £250!

as said get a seperate battery and a relay  ;)

LWC

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 09:25:17 am »
Run it off a seperate battery. get yourself a 1ooamp leisure battery (about £40- £45) Then get a split relay charger (£11.75 towsure)that will run form your main battery through and connect through the relay. This will charge the battery whilst the engine is running as long as youyr main vehicle battery is chargerd. You will never need to remove and charge second battery or carry a spare.

hi could you help me with this relay buisness, i hate having to charge my battery at night

which relay do i need? and i had a look at the site, says self switching? someone told me to get a relay a while ago, but said make sure you switch it off, is this what this does? am i totally confused with things like this

are they easy enough to do?

thanks

nat

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 09:32:29 am »
i have a brand new never used split relay if you want to buy it? bought it for my set up but never needed it. cost me £13.99

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 10:31:19 am »
Hi
When you buy a split charger relay all the instructions are included in the packet.

The best way to connect it up is via your alternator charge indicator wire (the small wire that goes from your alternator to the instrument panel and not the thick charging wire that goes to the battery), so you don't have to worry about switches - it works automatically. The only down side (if this is one) is that you may notice the battery charge warning light on the dash might glow slightly which you will see at night.

There is a website that has some excellent info on it with regard to van to campervan conversions and he explains the split charger relay options in great detail.

http://www.kampenwagen.co.uk/Electrickery.html and then read up on leisure batterys and charging thereof.
Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

MJH

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 10:35:20 am »
Thanks lads some great advice there, i will get my head under the bonnet and sort it ::)

Richy L

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 01:22:10 pm »
my father has run is pump straight off the van battery with no problems. hes had it set up for about 5+ years now.

maybe he has just been lucky though

Dean Aspects

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 01:30:08 pm »
My last two vehicles have had the pumps with varistream run from the battery with no ill effects
vans have started fisrt time every time

MJH

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 01:34:13 pm »
Thats why i asked because my mate has also been running his pump off his van battery for around six years without a problem!

riz

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 01:48:40 pm »
Mine runs from van and is fine too

LWC

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 01:50:16 pm »
perhaps my battery was on the way out...

macmac

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 04:43:42 pm »
always (3.1/2 years) run my pump direct from van battery through cig-lighter & its always worked fine. had to fit new battery in march after the original one (6 years old) finally started to drain. ;)

tony

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 05:12:17 pm »
I have run 2 pumps off my van battery now for 2 years with no problems at all.

Clearpoint

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 11:23:29 am »
I run a one pump, two pole system straight from the van battery and never had a problem. When using both poles the pump is up at the max. Adding another battery is just more expense which may not be required.

Hope this helps.

Count Phil

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 12:16:26 pm »
This seems hit and miss.
Mine died and now I have second battery. It was a new one too.

It wont cost much for peace of mind. Its horrible being stuck on some estate with a flat battery.

Dave Turley

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 01:41:12 pm »
i was told by my williamson pumps that running my varistream straight from the vehicle battery would exceed the 12 volts that it was designed to run on and ptentially damage the unit, which would therefore not be repaired under warranty    :o

jeff1

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 01:47:27 pm »
i was told by my williamson pumps that running my varistream straight from the vehicle battery would exceed the 12 volts that it was designed to run on and ptentially damage the unit, which would therefore not be repaired under warranty    :o
Williamsons are correct, the out-put from an alternator is around 18v your varistream and pumps are 12v, althought they will run, it does them no good in the long run.

Dave Turley

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 01:49:48 pm »
so doesn't a split charger charge at 18v also? (i wouldn't remember to turn off my varistrem at the end of every job so currently charge my battery at night)

jeff1

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 01:54:17 pm »
so doesn't a split charger charge at 18v also? (i wouldn't remember to turn off my varistrem at the end of every job so currently charge my battery at night)
I don't have a spec for a split charge relay, but relays can normally run with a little higher voltage, and are probably designed to run at the higher voltage anyway.

Dave Turley

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 01:58:57 pm »
sorry,my point was ...don't you run the same risk of damaging your varistream wether you get your power straight from the vehicle battery, or from a battery which is regularly subjected to more than 12 volts in order to charge it up?

MJH

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2007, 02:10:55 pm »
This post is interesting, from the general answers i might just run it straight from my van battery if most you have for x amount of years without problem! ???

jeff1

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2007, 02:11:24 pm »
sorry,my point was ...don't you run the same risk of damaging your varistream wether you get your power straight from the vehicle battery, or from a battery which is regularly subjected to more than 12 volts in order to charge it up?
Dave you would have to check with williamsons but I would have thought that the varistream has to be operated with a regulated power supply, ie a constant 12v and not a voltage that fluctuates up and down.

All electronic components have a +/- voltage tolerance, but if a manufacturer states there systems must be run on a regulated power supply, then not one of us has a warranty with williamsons, or should I say they have us by the goolies if they wanted to.
Unless we install a regulated power supply.

I run my own pump and varistream straight from a leisure battery, that is taken off every night and charged separately, with an intellegent charger, its just the way I prefere to run and look after my equipument.

Dean Aspects

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2007, 02:16:07 pm »
I am no auto electrician but my power supply from the battery to the varistream has a fuse on it then another between it and the pump
if their is a power surge surely the fuse would pop and no damage would be caused to the pump
is this right??

jeff1

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2007, 02:18:40 pm »
I am no auto electrician but my power supply from the battery to the varistream has a fuse on it then another between it and the pump
if their is a power surge surely the fuse would pop and no damage would be caused to the pump
is this right??
If you had what they call a surge fuse fitted then you would be correct, if you look at your fuse it will give you a figure of 10 and that is amps and not volts.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2007, 03:06:41 pm »

That's what I thought but recently I have found myself having to remove the leisure battery for a charge up sometimes.  I also carry a spare to get me out of jail.  Maybe I'm not putting in enough miles to charge the leisure battery via the relay or maybe the leisure battery is starting to get a bit older.  I've only had it about a year or so though.  If I am doing a lot of cleaning and low mileage, I sometimes take a spare key out with me.  This enables me to run the engine and lock the front of the van while working thereby supplying charge to the leisure battery while I work.
The gradual demise of my leisure batteries has surprised me as I would have expected maybe three years from them.  One is about a year old and the other is about 20 months old (not sure about the 20 months as it came from a system I bought.  It may not have been a new battery with the 2nd hand system).

Paul Coleman

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2007, 03:29:27 pm »
I am looking at running my pump directly from my van battery, is this the best method? or should i run it of a seperate battery to avoid my van failing. i have a varistream installed aswell.
Cheers Matt

I wouldn't fancy running it from the van battery.  Too much risk of becoming stranded.  Even if you don't want to get involved with split charge relay, at least consider using a leisure battery and recharge each night.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2007, 05:20:19 pm »
Does any one use a solar powered trickle charger to charge their leisure battery

JM123

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2007, 05:32:16 pm »
the problem with varistreams is like jeff has said, they are set up to operate from a regulated power supply, a battery is not a regulated supply as it can discharge at a high rate and provide over 12V, a fully charged battery will actually supply about 13.6V.

Jeff's also right about the inline fuse, its to protect against a surge of current,Amps - not volts.

Jeff, if someone was to use a discharge capacitor for say, an amplifier, then surely this would validate the warranty?
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

jeff1

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2007, 05:32:44 pm »
Does any one use a solar powered trickle charger to charge their leisure battery
Don't bother Dave, you would need one twice the size of your van and even then I wouldn't  Guarantee it.

My leisure battery is 8 years old and still going strong, its used most days, taken off, every time I've finish useing it, and charged with an intellegent charger, I even leave it on charge over weekends and bank holidays.

Look after a battery and it will look after you.

riz

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2007, 05:36:54 pm »
Ionic's fit all their systems straight from battery so surely it's fine??

jeff1

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2007, 06:05:51 pm »

Jeff, if someone was to use a discharge capacitor for say, an amplifier, then surely this would validate the warranty?
No John, nothing we can do or build will validate a manufacturers warranty without there approval.
Example
If you built me a trailer with a 50mm tow hitch and I only had a 40mm tow ball but told you I could adapt it to fit, would you still give me a warranty without seeing or testing it for your self?
You would be mad to say yes. and the same would go for williamsons.

The 12v pumps and varistreams we use are capable of operating within a tolerence voltage of +/-  of a couple of volts, but if we run them with a car/leisure battery even with a split charge relay our voltage supply is not going to be constant, so williamsons are well within there rights to void any warranty's we have with them.

I'm just looking through the maplin catalouge to see if I can find a 12v operated regulated power supply.

Also does anyone have the link to williamsons pumps please.

jeff1

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2007, 06:08:43 pm »
All's we are saying is that if williamsons wanted to get funny with us, the could invalidate are warranty's to our pumps and varistreams if they wanted to.

Just out of interest how do the re-charge the battery? is it via a split charge relay?

Paul Coleman

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2007, 06:28:22 pm »

From the van battery?  Are you sure about that?  I would be surprised if that is so unless they do something as a get out of jail card with it.

Spursboy1972

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2007, 06:45:48 pm »
My split charger runs at about 14v and I have been informed by towsure that is fine for the 110amp leisure battery. It is fused from the relay to the battery and also as it comes off the vehicle battery as an extra safety measure. It works great and I have total peace of mind.

Southampton- Hampshire

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2007, 08:16:31 am »
A solution to this would be to ask an auto electrician, thats what i did, he said a van battery can easily run the pump with no adverse effects.

He said the ampeage was quite low so no real need.

JohnL

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2007, 08:28:28 am »
jeff1-

I am in the market for a battery so what is the spec of the one you use ?
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

riz

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2007, 11:06:52 am »

From the van battery?  Are you sure about that?  I would be surprised if that is so unless they do something as a get out of jail card with it.

Pretty sure unless i have a hidden battery i haven't charged for three years!  :)

jeff1

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2007, 02:43:27 pm »
jeff1-

I am in the market for a battery so what is the spec of the one you use ?
Blimey John :o mines 8 years old ;D  and its a 100ampH leisure one.

NWH

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2007, 04:28:58 pm »
It`s to cheap to risk it,battery £50 and someone said split charger about £15.It would cost you a lot more if you broke down and couldn`t work that day.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2007, 06:38:18 pm »
I checked after reading this thread.  It seems that my pump draws power from my 85 amp leisure battery at about 9 amps (100 PSI flojet).  Anyway I understand that batteries don't fully charge after a while so let's assume I have 72 amps to play with (even number).  That would give 8 hours solid use before it was totally flat.  Presumably there would be performance degradation a long time before that.
I suppose a lot depends on how much driving is done between jobs.  I think my van battery is getting near the end of its life now.  The van is over 4 years old on the original battery and 5 years usually seems to be their limit (sometimes 6).  I flattened the van battery about a year ago just by leaving headlights on for half an hour (got it re-started with my trolley battery).

People are mentioning other pumps and I'm wondering if a 100PSI flojet is a bit juicy at 9 amp/hours?

JohnL

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2007, 07:25:17 pm »
Blimey John, mines 8 years old,  and its a 100ampH leisure one.

jeff1 - I am not up with batteries and your spec seems odd, ie a 12v 100amph leisure? I have looked at he Maplin site and cannot find a reference to it.

I know its me but it needs spelling out I am afraid!   :)
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

jeff1

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2007, 07:43:36 pm »
Blimey John, mines 8 years old,  and its a 100ampH leisure one.

jeff1 - I am not up with batteries and your spec seems odd, ie a 12v 100amph leisure? I have looked at he Maplin site and cannot find a reference to it.

I know its me but it needs spelling out I am afraid!   :)
Mines probably out of date now, it wasn't 8 yrs ago, go for the 110ampH one, but shop around first, I found Halfords expensive, but if you have a battery or caravan shop around by you, then check out all there prices first.

Mhall

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2007, 04:42:56 pm »
Brodex installed my system straight from my van battery, i've had to bump start it a couple of times if ive not ran the van for long that day!! Looking into a solution at the mo

Paul Coleman

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2007, 05:16:03 pm »
Brodex installed my system straight from my van battery, i've had to bump start it a couple of times if ive not ran the van for long that day!! Looking into a solution at the mo

One solution would be to do what I do.  Take a spare key out with you and run the engine for a while as you work.  Obviously better to do this off road if possible (it's illegal to do this on the public highway).  Also maybe run the engine while you're having a break sitting in the van.

Spursboy1972

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2007, 05:41:37 pm »
Split relay that was put on my van and was then tested. It was working/charging at between 13.6 and 14.1

Southampton- Hampshire

RPCCS

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2024, 03:07:33 pm »
I have a 2016 Vauxhall Vivaro, which I use for purified water for cleaning.  I want to fit a charger for water pump of water cleaning system , can anyone talk me how to do this rather than put it into a garage please? The negative on engine battery  has a certain connector on negative terminal, how do I wire split charger in  the vehicle ?
Cheers Rich

Splash & dash

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2024, 03:54:18 pm »
I have a 2016 Vauxhall Vivaro, which I use for purified water for cleaning.  I want to fit a charger for water pump of water cleaning system , can anyone talk me how to do this rather than put it into a garage please? The negative on engine battery  has a certain connector on negative terminal, how do I wire split charger in  the vehicle ?

This post is 17 years old doubt you will get a reply

Don Kee

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2024, 03:56:36 pm »

“Ones” could reply to him now?

Don Kee

« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2024, 03:57:27 pm »

Are you using a leisure battery for your pumps and does your vehicle have regenerative braking?

RPCCS

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2024, 04:00:34 pm »
I think it’s a leisure battery which needs a new one, not sure if it has  regenative system though.
Cheers Rich

Splash & dash

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2024, 04:06:16 pm »

“Ones” could reply to him now?

Yes but the op and most of the others haven’t been on here for years

Spruce

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2024, 04:20:54 pm »
I think it’s a leisure battery which needs a new one, not sure if it has  regenative system though.

A 2016 year van will definitely have some form of smart alternator.

My suggestion is to buy one of those cheap volt meters that plug into your cigarette lighter and watch what the volt meter reads as you drive around.
The meter should hopefully read a voltage of between 13.9 and 14.2v with normal driving. If it does that continuously then you can get away with a VSR (Voltage Sensing Relay.) Durite or equivalent, 140 amp will do you fine. (There are some rather strange named units on Ebay I see.)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194948318353?itmmeta=01HQBC2ATRFFVMMAQPDEEZ9852&hash=item2d63d34491:g:3xoAAOSwJ05iRaSl&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8PJhRSlZ7JggBaZ29seIiC%2FWrUB5vOsJ8XrYG3Y1AxEcm2zeTSEh0FwXUhDgXPTw9zlva3scM1bzfZsZjiwWmLqhP6NhIYgN1e36%2BnnK7sz4Okj1jqjBgg1TNUDHxIwGbhNBqbsFEVAxbVNJrMn8B1WM4mS5LEPDIRJ%2BWqrm29muAbYEgI%2FFQ3y8cC4lSzRHS%2BlBU4L0UjEpu0tRZdFSM7G6HPp0Lp7HQ9mQyo6sjDHC7dmHfwH%2F5IBZ7SBjRpXHzIx63WscXPrHQXeeYuIKJ9AcjqCYJ3w9Dw7DZD4J%2BIMf1KD1tFEcTyommyrXgb996A%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBM1q6J7Lpj

If the voltage drops to 12v with the engine running and then jumps up 16 -18v when going down hill and your foot off the accelerator, then you need a battery to battery charger.

Personally, I would go for a Victron 12v 30amp battery to battery charger as you can adjust charging profiles with an app on your phone.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313512787138?epid=13041451341&itmmeta=01HQBC6ZA10HPKDV4V968G9XF7&hash=item48fed17cc2:g:tUkAAOSw~-RlCIcf&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0HwePtz622uVbuxeeOImzmuF8%2Bi9jTl9TY6MCpwSHZKbarKKLdrIiMmjLDNS%2Bc11QLASRN8mCNC69Rupsm7Iani%2BNFTXErptJcmiKNHfTS0%2BDAN2rLYbmJEGoEo6OnDS4Y6d%2Bt7dI85LnpBZeTxK0hirIc6R5LAJAKVGDANpb9k8ez61RCoSu5f2i6Kmr58B4WKPF1f8KRJ8ocaI%2BbnOBIBmqgCJxVOwFMgtDSg3EsHZ%2FFB1C745Qi%2BAORWqN88QZEcC9N%2FQSck5R0JYP6MRQ60%3D%7Ctkp%3ABlBMUIz1m-y6Yw

It is much less complicated than a Sterling BB1230 or BB1260 to set up.

There are dozens of YouTube videos on how to fit these to camper vans etc.

When charging a lead acid leisure battery, the most charge that the battery will accept is between 10 and 12 amps. As the battery gets a fuller and fuller charge, it accepts and lower and lower rate of charge. This is why a 30 amp unit is fine.

Lead acid batteries need to be recharged and kept fully charged asap. We charged our leisure battery every night with our smart 230v charger even with a battery to battery charger.

RPCCS

« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2024, 06:09:48 pm »

My suggestion is to buy one of those cheap volt meters that plug into your cigarette lighter and watch what the volt meter reads as you drive around.
The meter should hopefully read a voltage of between 13.9 and 14.2v with normal driving. If it does that continuously then you can get away with a VSR (Voltage Sensing Relay.) Durite or equivalent, 140 amp will do you fine. (There are some rather strange named units on Ebay I see.)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194948318353?itmmeta=01HQBC2ATRFFVMMAQPDEEZ9852&hash=item2d63d34491:g:3xoAAOSwJ05iRaSl&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8PJhRSlZ7JggBaZ29seIiC%2FWrUB5vOsJ8XrYG3Y1AxEcm2zeTSEh0FwXUhDgXPTw9zlva3scM1bzfZsZjiwWmLqhP6NhIYgN1e36%2BnnK7sz4Okj1jqjBgg1TNUDHxIwGbhNBqbsFEVAxbVNJrMn8B1WM4mS5LEPDIRJ%2BWqrm29muAbYEgI%2FFQ3y8cC4lSzRHS%2BlBU4L0UjEpu0tRZdFSM7G6HPp0Lp7HQ9mQyo6sjDHC7dmHfwH%2F5IBZ7SBjRpXHzIx63WscXPrHQXeeYuIKJ9AcjqCYJ3w9Dw7DZD4J%2BIMf1KD1tFEcTyommyrXgb996A%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBM1q6J7Lpj

If the voltage drops to 12v with the engine running and then jumps up 16 -18v when going down hill and your foot off the accelerator, then you need a battery to battery charger.

Personally, I would go for a Victron 12v 30amp battery to battery charger as you can adjust charging profiles with an app on your phone.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313512787138?epid=13041451341&itmmeta=01HQBC6ZA10HPKDV4V968G9XF7&hash=item48fed17cc2:g:tUkAAOSw~-RlCIcf&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0HwePtz622uVbuxeeOImzmuF8%2Bi9jTl9TY6MCpwSHZKbarKKLdrIiMmjLDNS%2Bc11QLASRN8mCNC69Rupsm7Iani%2BNFTXErptJcmiKNHfTS0%2BDAN2rLYbmJEGoEo6OnDS4Y6d%2Bt7dI85LnpBZeTxK0hirIc6R5LAJAKVGDANpb9k8ez61RCoSu5f2i6Kmr58B4WKPF1f8KRJ8ocaI%2BbnOBIBmqgCJxVOwFMgtDSg3EsHZ%2FFB1C745Qi%2BAORWqN88QZEcC9N%2FQSck5R0JYP6MRQ60%3D%7Ctkp%3ABlBMUIz1m-y6Yw

When charging a lead acid leisure battery, the most charge that the battery will accept is between 10 and 12 amps. As the battery gets a fuller and fuller charge, it accepts and lower and lower rate of charge. This is why a 30 amp unit is fine.

Lead acid batteries need to be recharged and kept fully charged asap. We charged our leisure battery every night with our smart 230v charger even with a battery to battery charger.
Many thanks indeed Spruce,  that’s perfect stuff I need to look at.
I haven’t been at work for almost 3 years , I had an accident while cleaning out gutters and stood on the roof of an extension  to look at next door’s rear gutters and apparently I fell off into next door garden , bashed my head on concrete ground  and was rushed to hospital and had half my left side of the head removed and stopped bleeding from the edge of the brain.
 I’m hoping to continue starting work by the start of spring this year, but I’m banned from using ladders for doing landing or bedroom windows  now.
 But once again many thanks for your help.
Cheers Rich

Don Kee

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2024, 07:11:31 pm »
I haven’t been at work for almost 3 years , I had an accident while cleaning out gutters and stood on the roof of an extension  to look at next door’s rear gutters and apparently I fell off into next door garden , bashed my head on concrete ground  and was rushed to hospital and had half my left side of the head removed and stopped bleeding from the edge of the brain.

Good luck with the comeback mate, back stronger and all that.

Don Kee

« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2024, 07:13:42 pm »

Yes but the op and most of the others haven’t been on here for years

So?

Why don’t you try helping him then?
Christ, you go on about how you know everything often enough, try to actually help someone for once.

Smudger

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2024, 07:23:38 pm »
Wow!

Well done on the recovery so far - I’m sure we can provide the right info when you need it
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Bungle

« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2024, 07:34:49 pm »

I’m hoping to continue starting work by the start of spring this year, but I’m banned from using ladders for doing landing or bedroom windows  now.

I take my hat off to you sir. I hope you get sorted out and fair play for wanting to work again. Plenty would milk it.
We look at them, they look through them.

RPCCS

« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2024, 08:06:49 pm »

I take my hat off to you sir. I hope you get sorted out and fair play for wanting to work again. Plenty would milk it.
Many thanks for  your reply,  and  others said the same, I’m certainly hoping to get back to work  providing I get my licence back,and then continue doing a bit of coach driving  .
Cheers Rich

AuRavelling79

« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2024, 08:29:35 pm »
I've just picked up on this thread.

Good luck with your starting work again RPCCS!
It's a game of three halves!

RPCCS

« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2024, 08:36:13 pm »

Thanks for your reply,  one thing that  is still bothering me is I’ve been told a couple of wcs  called one a lot of my customers  offering to start doing their windows , some had said I’d back doing wc and a couple others I know  are already doing some of my customers while I’m off.
If I return to walk, they’ll just return to sticking to their own  customers, I’m hoping that over 33 years  self employed window cleaner,the majority will take me back providing I tell everyone I’m coming back with my number asking to ring or text me to say ,yes come back , or no thanks we have a new cleaner.
Cheers Rich

Bungle

« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2024, 09:19:59 pm »

Thanks for your reply,  one thing that  is still bothering me is I’ve been told a couple of wcs  called one a lot of my customers  offering to start doing their windows , some had said I’d back doing wc and a couple others I know  are already doing some of my customers while I’m off.
If I return to walk, they’ll just return to sticking to their own  customers, I’m hoping that over 33 years  self employed window cleaner,the majority will take me back providing I tell everyone I’m coming back with my number asking to ring or text me to say ,yes come back , or no thanks we have a new cleaner.

You said you hadn't worked in 3 years in one of your earlier posts. Are you expecting customers to wait that long for you to return? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
We look at them, they look through them.

RPCCS

« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2024, 10:40:56 am »

You said you hadn't worked in 3 years in one of your earlier posts. Are you expecting customers to wait that long for you to return? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
Lot of the customers found out the accident from the lady who’s house I fell off the single roof.
  She told the whole of Facebook, and a lot of them wrote back saying sorry to hear that hope you get well soon, another customer had asked me to do the inside of a village hall, but didn’t get a reply , but when she emailed my wife told her why, she then published in village  that she needed help to do the windows and I was off for a long time.
 It has been a couple of years where I was waiting for a cataract remove  , but it wasn’t done until about 3 weeks but now needed more eye drops per day as I still can’t see from much until mid to late morning.
Cheers Rich

Spruce

« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2024, 10:56:25 am »
I also join the others and wish you the best for your future recovery.

RPCCS

« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2024, 11:07:55 am »
I also join the others and wish you the best for your future recovery.
Many thanks, btw  sorry I made you post about the charger looked like I didn’t like it, I just noticed it this morning  and returned to like it.  :D
Cheers Rich

RPCCS

« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2024, 04:44:27 pm »
Have any of you had any similar of what I mention in one of my previous posts? About your work been  “stolen” by other cleaners  taking your customers after hearing about an accident.
Cheers Rich

Spruce

« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2024, 10:52:18 pm »
Have any of you had any similar of what I mention in one of my previous posts? About your work been  “stolen” by other cleaners  taking your customers after hearing about an accident.

Unfortunately some will canvass an area they know you work in and tell customers you aren't coming back. Some just have no scruples
If challenged their response would be, 'sorry that's what I was told.'

Years back we had a local window cleaner who also did roofing. He fell from a roof and badly injured his head.

A whole lot of local window cleaners who knew him stepped in to do his work and gave him the money. He eventually went back to window cleaning before he changed over to roofing.  So there are some good window cleaners around.

RPCCS

« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2024, 12:49:34 pm »
Well I had been trading in 3 areas for over 33 years and never had any serious accident apart from breaking my heel about 3 months after starting work for myself, so was off for bout 5 months.
Providing if I get the ok to start  work, I’m aiming to put a note through every customer who haven’t moved away,  a note telling them I have finally returned to work after  being  off  following a serious fall and can’t climb windows to clean landing windows or anything accepted  by using ladders.  I have had a couple of the long time with other window cleaner trying to take my work.
It’s been a lot of years since I posted on this forum, but now it’s  good being able to speak with people who can help with things I aim to ask on how to get back to work.
Cheers Rich

Smudger

« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2024, 02:46:28 pm »
I wouldn’t bother going into the ins/outs of changing to wfp - just see wants you back and start cleaning them
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Spruce

« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2024, 03:24:42 pm »
I wouldn’t bother going into the ins/outs of changing to wfp - just see wants you back and start cleaning them

This is good advice. I would do exactly this in RPCCS' situation.

WFP is now the accepted way of cleaning windows. If anyone objects, then they aren't worth keeping as customers.

RPCCS

Re: Running pump directly from van battery!! New
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2024, 03:40:50 pm »

This is good advice. I would do exactly this in RPCCS' situation.

WFP is now the accepted way of cleaning windows. If anyone objects, then they aren't worth keeping as customers.
Thanks both of you, by the way just call me Rich or Richard, rather than the posted name. :D
Cheers Rich