[GQC] Tim

Calling the police to get you known in the area(?)
« on: November 28, 2006, 12:19:14 am »
Is this a good idea? I was told that it would be very wise to do, but how to do this? There's only one phone number of the Surrey HQ (switchboard) but what then? What do I say? Ask for the local Police officer or something?

I have no clue!

craig jwc

Re: Calling the police to get you know in the area(?)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 12:23:41 am »
Why do you need to do that?

[GQC] Tim

Re: Calling the police to get you known in the area(?)
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 12:30:45 am »
I dunno if it's the same in the rest of the country, but people here are really suspicious, and will call the cops if they see things, just to check to make sure.

My friend had the police ask him more then once, that a person called them up to check the situ. But I guess if your known by them, by business name and name, then they wouldn't check me out?

I dunno, it was advice given to me by a fellow windowcleaner, also by a few customers.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 07:50:51 am »
When I first started cleaning in a Sussex village,  I called at the village police station to ask if they wanted their windows cleaned.  It allowed me to say that I was starting window cleaning in the area too without it seeming that I was calling on him just to say that.
Personally, I wouldn't bother telling them now as door knocking is not illegal (yet !! ) except in a few designated areas.  You may well get a tug over it if someone phones them but that's not such a big deal - just make sure you have your tools and leaflets etc with you.
It hasn't happened for a while but I seemed to get stopped regularly a few years ago for the "crime" of being out at night with my ladders on.  I got a bit fed up at one point and asked the copper if he would bother humping that lot off the van just so he could go out and visit his friends for a couple of hours.  He saw my point.

pjulk

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 10:37:54 am »
I had the police round my house about 6 months ago when i changed my van.

There was a burglary in a house in a road i cleaned that day.
And someone obviously said they seen someone in a van and took my registration.

If only they looked on the back of my T-Shirt as it said window cleaner in huge letters on it.

Anyway they come round and i said i was a window cleaner and i was cleaning in that road and if you want a list of customers i do in that road i would be happy to give them to him.

He said he knows im a window cleaner and they have already checked me out and they have to come round as they have to explore all avenues.

Anyway have not been stopped since.

I have also had one a few years ago call over a fence to me asking if i have permission to go in the back garden and what was i doing.
I think he was blind as my van was at the front of the property.

I just said if i could not do the rear i would not take a customer on and they are aware of that when i take them on.
He just ok and went

If you are doing nothing wrong i would not worry about the police.

Paul