Drake

Gutter vacs
« on: March 01, 2024, 03:44:32 pm »
I was thinking about adding gutter clearances an add on to my window cleaning business.
Does anyone have any advice on what to buy and the pitfalls to avoid?
Thanks for your help in advance

Spruce

Re: Gutter vacs
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2024, 04:13:38 pm »
I was thinking about adding this service as an add on to my window cleaning business.
Does anyone have any advice on what to buy and the pitfalls to avoid?
Thanks for your help in advance

Gutter Vacuum Systems are a good place to start. I have a small 30 litre single motor 1500watt with carbon fibre poles for my very occasional jobs.
You will need something bigger if you are going to offer this as a regular service. You will also need to know what height of gutters you will be targeting.

We arrange with a customer to either be home or put an extension out of a window if they don't have an outside power socket, as I don't have a generator.

For me, I spend about 40 minutes thoroughly washing and cleaning my poles after each day's work. It's a pain as far as I'm concerned. It takes a couple of days for the foam filter to completely dry before assembling the vac back together.

We have a camera system so we can see exactly what we are doing as we go along. I can't see how some have no camera.

I don't know whether it's a Yorkshire thing or not, but most of the time we quote, we enter into a price negotiation phase. Quote £120 and they will try for £100. Then the customer suggests we meet in the middle then (£110).

This is just my opinion though, and I don't care if I get the job or not.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Stoots

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2024, 05:36:09 pm »
I wouldn't bother it's a filthy job and harder work than windows. Unless you think you can earn significantly more than the windows in your area then fair enough

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2024, 11:01:55 pm »
remove the foam filter - not needed for gutters

like the other services - even windows - peoples experience and prices and time vary greatly.

we have about 60 customers signed unto an annual clear - they get a slight discount but we get to clear/maintain mostly empty runs (minor debris) these are done on a set date - easy knock off 15 in a day

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Spruce

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2024, 06:51:31 am »
remove the foam filter - not needed for gutters

like the other services - even windows - peoples experience and prices and time vary greatly.

we have about 60 customers signed unto an annual clear - they get a slight discount but we get to clear/maintain mostly empty runs (minor debris) these are done on a set date - easy knock off 15 in a day

The only filter I have is a foam filter to stop that muck going through the motor Darran. That was what the supplier fitted the vacuum with as a gutter vac.

I later purchased paper bags but have never used them. I also do have a wet and dry filter, again purchased at a later date but that again isn't for gutter work. I tried it.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Smudger

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2024, 10:10:37 am »
Mine have all run without filters - unless it’s for internal ‘dry’ work
For gutters and wet work no filter

Just my experience from omnivac days and having 3 or 4 others over the years
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

james peters

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2024, 11:51:24 am »
I use a pair of tights over the motor , as a filter

Smudger

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2024, 01:34:16 pm »
Do you find them tricky to put on 😜

the king

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2024, 06:03:31 pm »
Grippa vac is bulletproof and not to big

Bin Juice

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2024, 12:20:16 pm »
got one in july 23 it was was much bigger than i thought it would be ,not something to keep in the van and also takes up room in the garage combined with 15m of the yellow gvs hose  . also the wheels are really flimsy and not designed for outdoor use so will possibly need some sort of upgrade . But it has good suction and large capacity and customers seem very impressed with its industrial size and look
I also went with the 30ft gvs carbon clamped poles and 15m yellow hose .  probably didnt need 15m maybe 10m its a lot to drag about and put back in the van