Clever Forum Name

Diesel Hot water systems and the Batteries!
« on: February 27, 2024, 09:49:44 pm »
Slowly going through each van and upgrading to hot water but the only real issue is the batteries seem to last 12 months at best in a two man system.

Is there a better cell type to get or AH?

TIA

Splash & dash

Re: Diesel Hot water systems and the Batteries!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 10:01:17 pm »
Slowly going through each van and upgrading to hot water but the only real issue is the batteries seem to last 12 months at best in a two man system.

Is there a better cell type to get or AH?

TIA

We use AGM haze 180 amp x2 in each van and they last 5-6 years being charged every night and running a two man system with 9 kw Wabasto and two electric reels 8 hours a day 5 days a week ,

dazmond

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2024, 10:12:45 pm »
Do your staff charge up the batteries overnight every night?

Do you have a b+b charger installed in the vans?

Do they fire up the heater with the engine running first thing?and keep it running with no shut down cycles throughout their working day?

I use 2 x 105ah numax batteries and they last around 3 years before needing replacing....

I bet your staff are draining the batteries too low, too often because their not doing the above things day in,day out.....
price higher/work harder!

DJW

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 10:19:36 pm »
Staff need to work shorter days and maybe just four short ones. Batteries would last longer then.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 10:32:42 pm »
Staff need to work shorter days and maybe just four short ones. Batteries would last longer then.
Bit of a false economy i would think!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2024, 07:40:56 am »

Insider joke about Daz's working habits because so many are secretly jealous of his positive outlook.

;D
It's a game of three halves!

simon w

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2024, 07:41:40 am »

They'd be more productive  ;D

Smudger

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2024, 10:05:52 am »
We all wish to aspire to daz’s level of karma 😊
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Simon Trapani

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2024, 11:40:38 am »

Insider joke about Daz's working habits because so many are secretly jealous of his positive outlook.

;D
Ah yes. My bad. I was a bit slow on that one!😆

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2024, 08:55:05 pm »
Do your staff charge up the batteries overnight every night? YES

Do you have a b+b charger installed in the vans? YES

Do they fire up the heater with the engine running first thing?and keep it running with no shut down cycles throughout their working day? YES but i know there are plenty of shut down cycles.

I use 2 x 105ah numax batteries and they last around 3 years before needing replacing.... thats on a 1 man, only issue are on two mans

I bet your staff are draining the batteries too low, too often because their not doing the above things day in,day out.....

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2024, 08:56:29 pm »
Spoken with Grippatank and they seem to think 18months on a two man system is about what you can expect, then batteries are dead.

I know its the on/off cycles that kill the batteries, so going to look at the ionics pressure relief valve system.

Just had my van serviced and the water is boiling hot again.

Splash & dash

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2024, 09:37:15 am »
Spoken with Grippatank and they seem to think 18months on a two man system is about what you can expect, then batteries are dead.

I know its the on/off cycles that kill the batteries, so going to look at the ionics pressure relief valve system.

Why are you having shut down cycles ? Ours is fired up at 8 am and doesn’t shut down until we finish work at the end of the day unless we turn it off , you want a return to tank this will keep it running  permanently or untill the  tank water gets to around 80 degrees   We have one Grippatank heater and two ionic thermopures both systems work different but they don’t shut down at all .  18 months for battery’s is not right with decent quality batteries we get 6 years use as an average .
What service did they do ? Servicing the system unkess replacing blocked heat exchangers won’t make any difference to the temperature it will produce .

dazmond

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2024, 09:48:10 am »

Yes it'll be the shut down cycles that'll be draining the batteries too low too often that's causing the batteries to die prematurely.

I always plug in the return valves between jobs to keep the boiler running continuously during my working day.
price higher/work harder!