colin bird

Do you declare
« on: February 23, 2024, 07:16:29 am »
My van insurance is coming for renewal and I’m going to shop around as the company I’m with has gone up almost £100

Do you declare that you have a tank fitted ?
If you don’t declare what happens if you have a prang ?

AuRavelling79

Re: Do you declare
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2024, 07:37:38 am »
My van insurance is coming for renewal and I’m going to shop around as the company I’m with has gone up almost £100

Do you declare that you have a tank fitted ?
If you don’t declare what happens if you have a prang ?

I do.

When they ask about modifications.

If I had a small tank strapped in using the manufacturers load points I wouldn't believe it was a modification.

Another five posters will be along soon with six different opinions.

It's a game of three halves!

Jonny 87

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2024, 08:14:02 am »
Just be honest and up front. If it’s strapped in, tell them you have the option of taking it out. If it’s bolted through, tell them.

For the extra bit of cash it’s worth the peace of mind.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2024, 08:23:50 am »
I don't because in my case, my van hasn't been modified. The tank is held in place via straps and wooden blocks and can be removed quickly and easily. So for me, there is nothing to declare. In 20 years wfp, I've never once been asked, either by human or online form whether I carry a water tank or not!
However, if I had a permanently fitted tank, which was restrained by a method which required a modification i.e. drilling the floor, fitting spreader plates and or strapping the chassis then yes, I would declare that 'modification'.
There's the difference- carrying a load, for which the van was designed for.... or carrying out the above modification- for which it was not.👍
Incredibly, it really is that simple!!🙂
Comfortably Numb!

EandM

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2024, 10:08:24 am »
I've had a number of insurance companies with wildly different ideas on what a modification actually is.

Some really couldn't care less what you do whilst others deem a modification to be "anything it didn't leave the factory with."

Just ask them what they mean and if they sound like the latter, go somewhere else.

One company threatened to cancel my insurance if I drove across my field to fill up with water!

JandS

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2024, 10:33:34 am »
Just renewed mine in January with Swann........spoke to the guy and he said it matters not whether it's strapped in or bolted in you are still carrying a water tank full of water........I never used to declare it as it was strapped in but it is now bolted in........if you're unsure why not ask the question rather than not mentioning it...........if you have an accident and you haven't mentioned it your insurance will be void.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

NBwcs

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2024, 11:01:45 am »
Just renewed mine in January with Swann........spoke to the guy and he said it matters not whether it's strapped in or bolted in you are still carrying a water tank full of water........I never used to declare it as it was strapped in but it is now bolted in........if you're unsure why not ask the question rather than not mentioning it...........if you have an accident and you haven't mentioned it your insurance will be void.

This... It's the fact that your carrying a big load of water that seems to matter. When I changed my van, the fact that the new one hadn't been modified made no difference to the prices, you will pay more for telling them your carrying a water tank but have a total mistrust of insurance company's and would much rather pay a bit more now than have a shed load of hassle in the event of an accident with them trying to wriggle out of paying. Just another business expense, the price you charge your custys  should reflect your total expenditure.

Smudger

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2024, 11:24:04 am »
I do - because they are bolted into the van and I have staff

strapped in and self employed then no
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2024, 12:45:05 pm »

Completely and utterly 100% untrue!
If you have filled out every question honestly and correctly, read the list of assumptions and all small print then your insurance certainly is not void. Prove this wrong and I'll give you my house!
Comfortably Numb!

Bungle

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2024, 01:00:19 pm »
Splash will be along any minute to give us actual facts on this matter.
We look at them, they look through them.

JandS

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2024, 01:31:18 pm »
You haven't mentioned any modification on the modifications question.
Even racking and storage is classed as a modification and sometimes a roof rack.
And it doesn't matter if the tank is strapped in.
If you are so sure ring your insurer and ask......a lot won't even cover a water tank.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2024, 01:46:39 pm »
You haven't mentioned any modification on the modifications question.
Even racking and storage is classed as a modification and sometimes a roof rack.
And it doesn't matter if the tank is strapped in.
If you are so sure ring your insurer and ask......a lot won't even cover a water tank.

I have done just that, that's how I know my statement is factual and correct. One tip I will give you is.... never trust a broker. A bit like car salesman- they can smell a sucker from a mile away!!
Comfortably Numb!

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2024, 02:06:05 pm »
Insurance has gone up loads this year due to the rising  cost of parts and new vehicles.     Premiums have risen along with vehicle inflation.   

If it's only gone up by £100 just take it on the chin.  Not worth the stress of not declaring things to save a few quid.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Splash & dash

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2024, 02:56:10 pm »
Splash will be along any minute to give us actual facts on this matter.

Ime not going down this route again I posted an email from the insurance  company last time , and got told to remove it due to GDPR , basically if it’s bolted in it’s a modification if it’s strapped in it’s not , but here’s the point THEY SAID REGARDLESS OF THE INSURANCE COMPANY IT MUST STILL BE DECLARED OR THE COMPANY COULD INVALIDATE YOUR INSURANCE  , end of quote , as a side point there was a guy killed recently by a strapped in tank crushing him to death , will be interesting to see if the insurance company pay out as he was an employee my money says they won’t .

JandS

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2024, 03:37:39 pm »
Broker at Swann can't be far wrong....my old insurance wouldn't renew once I mentioned the tank......Swann were also the cheapest quote once I went through the comparison sites to compare their price with what was on offer.....and strapped in or bolted makes no difference.

JandS

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2024, 04:13:32 pm »
Vans aren't designed for liquid loads....didn't someone on here's husband get crushed by his strapped in tank in a head on at 30mph and not his fault......and the tank wasn't full as it was end of the day but was off around 18 months.

Bungle

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2024, 07:30:12 pm »
Vans aren't designed for liquid loads....didn't someone on here's husband get crushed by his strapped in tank in a head on at 30mph and not his fault......and the tank wasn't full as it was end of the day but was off around 18 months.

Wasn't that Susan Dean or whatever her name is? The bird with a profile pic getting the tattoo in?

Get the badge in boys. Stone Island.
We look at them, they look through them.

dazmond

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2024, 01:27:17 pm »

Wasn't that Susan Dean or whatever her name is? The bird with a profile pic getting the tattoo in?

Get the badge in boys. Stone Island.

She also used to brag about overloading the van with a water tank far too big and heavy for the payload and travelling hundreds of miles for work.... ::)roll
price higher/work harder!

Stoots

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2024, 04:42:12 pm »
It's not asked when I fill the quote forms in online so no i don't declare it.

Never declared anything before be it wheels or other mods. 20 plus yrs of driving never had a problem yet.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2024, 05:51:39 pm »
It's not asked when I fill the quote forms in online so no i don't declare it.

Never declared anything before be it wheels or other mods. 20 plus yrs of driving never had a problem yet.

More importantly - what happened to this Stoots??

So having a party for my daughters birthday.

I'm helping serve food to the kids when I recognised a non paying mother queing in line

What do you think happened next ?

It's a game of three halves!