colin bird

200l tank advice please
« on: February 22, 2024, 03:21:02 pm »
hi thanks for reading,im forward thing about semi retiring just trying to sort a plan.(will be in a few years}
i currently have a purefreedom 500l van mounted system with ro etc.
these are my thoughts !
so i have a private pension that will probably bring me in a few hundred quid a week when i retire,but hopefully if im healthy enough i will  still work part time to top my pension up to keep me at the same earnings im on now.
im thinking about putting a 200l tank in a smaller van that will give me enough water to do the amount of work i will need to do daily to top my pension up
my tap tds is 270 so looking to produce my daily water by di via a 25l vessel what are your thoughts on this ?
also would you have a 200l tank fitted in a cage like i have now and bolted to the chassis or would strapping it down be good enough ?
any help appreciated

Splash & dash

Re: 200l tank advice please
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2024, 03:36:31 pm »
Why change and get a smaller van and system why not keep what you have , I have been looking at doing the same but it’s not worth the expense involved it’s better to just keep what I have and don’t fill the tank , running costs if any vehicle is going to be similar.

dd

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2024, 04:11:36 pm »
Something like a berlingo is not too big and would take a 400/500l tank. If you use less than 200l a day you would only have to fill it once or twice a week.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2024, 04:55:46 pm »
If you are going for a 200 to save space I can see the point. Personally if I had a bulkhead I would be happy to use strapping points. It's only two 15 stone humans in weight.

In fact if I didn't need a van I would be tempted to have a chunky estate car.

When I first went wfp I had a 175L in the far back of a Honda Civic Aerodeck!

But unless I really had a reason to get rid of my current van I'd just carry on with it.
It's a game of three halves!

colin bird

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2024, 05:12:04 pm »
Why change and get a smaller van and system why not keep what you have , I have been looking at doing the same but it’s not worth the expense involved it’s better to just keep what I have and don’t fill the tank , running costs if any vehicle is going to be similar.
The reason for changing the van is it’s on a finance lease so can only have it for ten years and have to sell it and I get the proceeds of the sale ,I’ve always changed my van every four years but as the cost of new vans has gone through the roof I will keep it for the full term,then buy a smaller new van  to do a bit of work and not get the grief of an old van ,and I  can get still get my fishing stuff in a smaller van happy days,but it all may go out of the window for health reasons,but that’s my plan it’s a few years away but just wanted to run it by you guys

AuRavelling79

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2024, 05:16:30 pm »
Can you sell the van to your wife? (As you are retiring)

colin bird

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2024, 10:17:57 pm »
Can you sell the van to your wife? (As you are retiring)
No has to be sold to a vat registered company,I’ve got a mate that will buy it,I have a transit custom currently ,but when I semi retire I’m looking to buy a new transit connect and put the 200 l tank it and fishing tackle,then the new connect will see me out and will also reduce my last year tax bill as trading full time
I’m just mulling over what to do and appreciate the input from the guys on the forum

AuRavelling79

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2024, 11:09:16 pm »
That sounds a good strategy to buy any needed van in your final trading year.