DJW

Excess Earnings?
« on: February 22, 2024, 02:07:31 pm »
Anyone had any today?

I expect Mr Bean’s been out?

dd

Re: Excess Earnings?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2024, 02:15:22 pm »
Daz has probably been through 7 gortex jackets, had another record day, printed out his worksheets for next week, filled his van and charged his battery and is now enjoying some well deserved beans in his bath right now.

Thought I would just save him the trouble of posting.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2024, 02:26:59 pm »
Don't be jealous of Dazmond chaps!

;D
It's a game of three halves!

simon w

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2024, 03:38:58 pm »
If you guys only listened to Dazmond, you could be successful too.

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2024, 09:25:58 am »
Daz has probably been through 7 gortex jackets, had another record day, printed out his worksheets for next week, filled his van and charged his battery and is now enjoying some well deserved beans in his bath right now.

Yes my wet weather gear has been used a lot this week.2 of the jackets are falling apart and looking a bit tatty now from overuse and age,time to buy a couple of new ones I think...

On a side note I always put my wet weather gear as a legitimate business expense but I read somewhere it should only be logod workwear and safety boots?

What do you guys do?I also put my nitrile gloves through too as it's PPE imo....
price higher/work harder!

NBwcs

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2024, 09:53:35 am »

Yes my wet weather gear has been used a lot this week.2 of the jackets are falling apart and looking a bit tatty now from overuse and age,time to buy a couple of new ones I think...

On a side note I always put my wet weather gear as a legitimate business expense but I read somewhere it should only be logod workwear and safety boots?

What do you guys do?I also put my nitrile gloves through too as it's PPE imo....

The gloves, yes, non safety boots and jackets I think you'd get pulled on if investigated.

Ched

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2024, 10:18:32 am »

If you get the jackets branded/logos then you should be fine with hmrc as it's then clearly work wear. Might also depend on where you buy them - i.e if it's a leisure store then is it work wear?

Shrek

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2024, 11:22:04 am »
b******s , its uniform whether its logod or not . If we get investigated, then they can see what we wear on a daily basis , we don’t need safety boots for our job either. Just like if you work in an office and self employed, you can claim for work clothes , that includes shoes .

Smudger

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2024, 11:28:49 am »
who said it needs a logo ? what rubbish

boots, outer clothing can all be classed as PPE - even those of you that have hoodies!

not obligated to buy cheap cr@p either - if you feel you need a £300 jacket then get one - however if you use that jacket for going out socially then the tax man will ask for a % back - but then again who will know ?
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2024, 02:51:10 pm »
I only wear the jackets,waterproof hiking trousers,boots for work, I also put my logod polo shirts,hoodies and combat shorts through as well....

I claim for everything to do with my business(including being a FSB member) but as I don't have an accountant I'm not sure whether it's right?

I also claim 100% of my van expenses as I have a car for leisure and only use my van for work.laundry/electric costs(£60 per year)for cloths/work clothes,etc.

Splash & dash

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2024, 02:59:50 pm »

We claim for all clothing like coats , hi vis , etc if it’s for work use only never had any issues claiming it .

Smudger

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2024, 03:28:34 pm »
Yep your all good Daz - you can claim a % of your rent as well
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

NBwcs

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2024, 09:07:44 pm »
https://www.gov.uk/expenses-if-youre-self-employed/clothing

From the link above, its not exactly crystal clear. Reading that i think Daz is ok with his gortez jacket because it protects him from the elements so probably constitutes ppe. I think the confusion comes in with the term uniform, ie when is a uniform not a uniform. Clothing with logos are very definitely classed as uniform, but a shirt without a logo is a shirt.   quote "You cannot claim for everyday clothing (even if you wear it for work)." . Its definitely open to different interpretation.

Of course, if your supplying it to staff then it pretty much automatically becomes a uniform logo or not , but a lone worker buying a shirt without logos is a much less clearer picture. I wear next polos specifically for work but seriously doubt i would get away with claiming for them. Without a logo i could quite easily wear it out of work.

Smudger

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2024, 12:03:08 am »
That would be your choice - I doubt it would be raised as a query - even in an inspection ( unless it something totally outrageous )
personally I claimed for everything I could think of - of course if I had over estimated I would have been happy to pay up for my honest error  ;)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2024, 09:36:07 am »
I think if you buy your baked beans in catering size with a works logo you can claim it as a work expense.
It's a game of three halves!

Smudger

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2024, 11:51:54 am »
An accountant I know ( oooo sound like splash ) would book a 5 star hotel in London and go for an expensive restaurant meal for him and wife - he claimed it all as it was his agm  :P

simon w

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2024, 12:56:29 pm »
Anyone else on here take out insurance to cover the cost of your accountant should HMRC choose to investigate you.  :)

dazmond

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2024, 01:11:16 pm »
I'm changing the plywood base in the back of my van(that my reel screws onto)tomorrow and a broken munsen ring on a pole holder.

I'll be claiming for the plywood,munsen ring and plastic sheeting(that I staple over the plywood).

I don't claim a percentage of my rent as I don't have a dedicated office room(it's just a desk in my bedroom complete with swivel chair) ;D

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2024, 01:18:35 pm »
Anyone else on here take out insurance to cover the cost of your accountant should HMRC choose to investigate you.  :)

FSB covers you.....it costs me £195 a year which is tax deductible too...

Self assessment is changing soon (from 2026) if you earn over 50k a year(2027  if you earn over £30k)

We ll all be forced to submit quarterly reports through third party government approved software in the shift to MTD.....which will have an annual  cost of its own no doubt... ::)roll

Bungle

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2024, 02:58:17 pm »
My accountant wanted me to go on quickbooks and submit quarterly. I thought WTF, I'm paying you to do it anyway so why should I? I don't want the hassle of doing my own tax returns etc.
We look at them, they look through them.