Smudger

Re: Dog bites
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2024, 11:21:21 am »
This is like the water tank saga all over again

Splash you do paint yourself into a corner when there’s no need to
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

DJW

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2024, 02:30:36 pm »
I was only talking to my mate this morning and he’s a retained window cleaner, we were both on a shout. Back at HQ he reckoned any dog that craps in the customers back garden will be euthanised by half past three the same day, company policy.

Splash & dash

« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2024, 02:33:11 pm »
This is like the water tank saga all over again

Splash you do paint yourself into a corner when there’s no need to

Just telling it as is it is , and what happened to one of my guys if ones don’t like it I can’t help that , I have posted proof and there are dozens of other reports that one can see for themselves.

markymark

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2024, 04:56:52 pm »
Wading in with my two penneth worth that either proves nothing or  proves something, depending what you take from it.
#1 I was bitten on the arm by a ridgeback that ran out of its back garden to 'greet' me. I spoke to a bobby who's windows I clean who said the police would/could take action against the owner depending on whether I wanted to report it. I took it no further for reasons I can't be bothered to go in to here. That said, I wish I had done as I wouldn't be surprised if the dog has gone on to bite someone else. My bad really.
#2 my friends were both police officers. She was in the dog section and took in a rescued spaniel. The dog was very nervous and unpredictable,  but she was trying her best to sort the dogs behaviour out. Sadly she died of cancer after only 12 months of having the dog, so work stopped on the dogs behaviour. Fast forward 12 months from then and her elderly mum is stroking the dog, the dog gets spooked and bites the mum. A small bite, but a bite none the less. As she goes to hospital, the hospital staff had an obligation to report it. That same day the police are out to my friends house, and the concession to my friends (very) senior position in the police was to be given the chance to euthanize the dog on his terms (straight away) rather than have the police take it away to do so.
Maybe the police response varies from area to area, who knows. My only take-away from what I experienced is that if I'm unlucky enough to be bitten again, I'm reporting it.
The good thing about science is that it's true whether you believe it or not.

Smudger

« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2024, 05:17:39 pm »
Not going to split hairs but just like your insurance ‘proof’ one concerned a bully xl is he other a large dog and that was in south London - have you moved

Nothing about/from Royal Mail policy prosecution of these dogs  ( too busy doing innocent post masters )  only urging owners to be more careful
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Splash & dash

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2024, 05:48:55 pm »
Not going to split hairs but just like your insurance ‘proof’ one concerned a bully xl is he other a large dog and that was in south London - have you moved

Nothing about/from Royal Mail policy prosecution of these dogs  ( too busy doing innocent post masters )  only urging owners to be more careful

As I said earlier one of the guys from our fire station is a PGH with the  Royal Mail/ post office it’s his job to deal with all this and he said there policy  is to always prosecute, and in the vast majority of cases the dog is put down , ime only repeating what he’s saying and I trust him as have known and worked with him over 37 years

Shrek

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2024, 06:46:49 pm »

As I said earlier one of the guys from our fire station is a PGH with the  Royal Mail/ post office it’s his job to deal with all this and he said there policy  is to always prosecute, and in the vast majority of cases the dog is put down , ime only repeating what he’s saying and I trust him as have known and worked with him over 37 years

I worked for Royal Mail for 20 years , a PHG is just another name for a full time worker who used to get extra allowances which the union sold for higher basic pay. A phg would not be dealing with such matters , it’s either a manager and or union rep . My mate at the D.O. , said there are no prosecutions or dogs put down , the owners are asked to keep their dogs under control and fit a letterbox cage . If they don’t , then they have to pick their own mail up from the delivery office

Splash & dash

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2024, 07:15:50 pm »

I worked for Royal Mail for 20 years , a PHG is just another name for a full time worker who used to get extra allowances which the union sold for higher basic pay. A phg would not be dealing with such matters , it’s either a manager and or union rep . My mate at the D.O. , said there are no prosecutions or dogs put down , the owners are asked to keep their dogs under control and fit a letterbox cage . If they don’t , then they have to pick their own mail up from the delivery office

I don’t intend arguing about this he’s a PHG in charge of an office  don’t know his full title but he’s been there  around 38 years  and started off as a postman and worked his way up , every attack is reported to the police and and in the majority of  cases the dog is put down , don’t know how much input the police have with this ? He’s certainly not a union rep .

Shrek

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2024, 09:08:51 pm »

I don’t intend arguing about this he’s a PHG in charge of an office  don’t know his full title but he’s been there  around 38 years  and started off as a postman and worked his way up , every attack is reported to the police and and in the majority of  cases the dog is put down , don’t know how much input the police have with this ? He’s certainly not a union rep .

He’ll be a manager then if he’s in charge of an office - think about it - if you had a normal full time member of  staff that worked for you , would you just put him in charge of dog bites , dealing with police, solicitors & courts if he’s on the same pay as the other full timers?

Smudger

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2024, 10:32:48 pm »
Reporting an attack is vastly different from a prosecution ( just saying )

KS Cleaning

« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2024, 12:07:04 am »

Well that’s quite a climb down from the 99% you stated earlier in the thread!

Splash & dash

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2024, 05:04:43 pm »

Well that’s quite a climb down from the 99% you stated earlier in the thread!

I don’t know the exact number of incidents but all are reported to the police , any attack in 99% of cases the dog is put down this is usually in the customers garden or in a public place , fingers through letterboxes is still reported and legal action taken , not sure exactly what happens then , but several postmen have been bitten over the last few years sometimes with multiple bites to various body parts and I know for a fact all those dogs  have been put down .

Smudger

« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2024, 06:20:16 pm »
Your wobbling splash - your slowly changing your statement!

Go on - be a devil - admit you embellished your story 😀 - just this once … 🤨

Splash & dash

« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2024, 07:29:13 pm »
Your wobbling splash - your slowly changing your statement!

Go on - be a devil - admit you embellished your story 😀 - just this once … 🤨

Not at all I have spoken to Mike to get  some clarification on the exact process and that’s what I have posted

DJW

« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2024, 07:42:26 pm »

Smudger

« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2024, 10:26:46 pm »
sorry I think there was an error with your image....

Pete Thompson

« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2024, 11:27:12 pm »
I’ve only been bitten once, by an ugly Irish wolfhound that a guest (holiday let) had left out in the garden.

Not a serious bite, just a nip, didn’t break the skin on my leg or tear my trousers, but annoying nonetheless.

I didn’t complain, but the guests did tell the owner of the cottage (which was weird, don’t think I’d have done that), who called me, profusely apologised and asked what I wanted to happen.

I told him nothing, as I had gone into the gated garden, it wasn’t running around loose in public, and it was just a nip.

I’ve no idea what the law is on this, but if I go into someone’s garden and their dog is loose, what happens if it bites me? I always thought people are allowed to keep their own dogs in their own gardens aren’t they?

Anyway, I’m now super wary of all dogs, and will not risk getting bitten, or (my pet hate) dogs jumping up on me.

I dropped a customer once because I had repeatedly told her I didn’t like dogs jumping up on me, and for some reason she always let her dog out when I was there, to jump on me.

(I think she would rather it jump on me than go mental inside the house).

Also, I have found from experience that owners who have poor control over their dogs usually let them poo everywhere in the garden too. We don’t need customers like that!

Splash & dash

« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2024, 08:33:05 am »
I’ve only been bitten once, by an ugly Irish wolfhound that a guest (holiday let) had left out in the garden.

Not a serious bite, just a nip, didn’t break the skin on my leg or tear my trousers, but annoying nonetheless.

I didn’t complain, but the guests did tell the owner of the cottage (which was weird, don’t think I’d have done that), who called me, profusely apologised and asked what I wanted to happen.

I told him nothing, as I had gone into the gated garden, it wasn’t running around loose in public, and it was just a nip.

I’ve no idea what the law is on this, but if I go into someone’s garden and their dog is loose, what happens if it bites me? I always thought people are allowed to keep their own dogs in their own gardens aren’t they?

Anyway, I’m now super wary of all dogs, and will not risk getting bitten, or (my pet hate) dogs jumping up on me.

I dropped a customer once because I had repeatedly told her I didn’t like dogs jumping up on me, and for some reason she always let her dog out when I was there, to jump on me.

(I think she would rather it jump on me than go mental inside the house).

Also, I have found from experience that owners who have poor control over their dogs usually let them poo everywhere in the garden too. We don’t need customers like that!

The law states that by having a letter box or bell on the door that’s an invitation for ones to call , so when you enter their property it should be a safe environment for you , just the same as  a customer letting you work  unsafely can also be held responsible if you get hurt . Signs saying beware dogs isn’t a get out clause either .

james peters

« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2024, 06:29:56 pm »
Before I retire for the night , I have border collies .    very freindly with never any aggression
super intelligent
If they bite you ... its coz you are untrustworthy ;D ;D ;D

pop corn half price in premmier outlets
let the fun begin :D :D