Splash & dash

Re: Dog bites
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2024, 06:14:38 pm »
There is no rule that states a dog should be automatically put to sleep if it bites a person or other animal. Legally, if certain conditions are fulfilled, the person in charge of the dog may be brought before a court and may be ordered to have the dog put to sleep, although this is by no means inevitable.

So my mate who works for the RSPCA said down the pub today.

Yes all the above is  correct but it’s dependent , on who is bitten , where and how they are bitten , has the dog bitten anyone before  , how serious is the attack   Was it one bite or a sustained attack we have had a couple of high profile dog attacks on holiday parks down here the dogs were put down the same day in one case the police shot the dog on site , there is no hard and fast rule , but the  post office always prosecute and if the attack is in the garden or public highways seek to get the dog put down and this is granted in the vast majority of cases .

They don't and they don't have the dog put down either. FACT. Stop surmising.

Yes they do it’s in there health  and safety policy , ime not surmising anything, and it has happened  few time down here and been in all the local papers over the years and on the  TV

Have a read through here and try and find a thread where it says a dog has been put down for biting a postie. https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/community/viewforum.php?f=1

Only the other week in Hayle. No mention of the dog being put down.  https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/boy-7-taken-hospital-after-9092185

It's not in RM's health and safety policy. They don't have regional policies on things like this. They have national policies.

Tried looking at it but you need to be a member and have an account to view it ? Also doesn’t give you the option to search about dog bites ?.

As for the attack in hayle do you have all the facts do you know what’s happened to the dog ?..

windowswashed

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2024, 06:40:55 pm »
.I was bitten by a dog once whilst carrying ladders and a bucket, two bites in the back of my leg in an alleyway. Reported it to the police and the owner was informed the dog had to wear a muzzle fitted when out in public. She never maintained keeping a muzzle fitted and shortly after my incident the dog bit  a small child in the face and so the dog was automatically put down and so it should  as owner was irresponsible.

I own a dog myself and she is well behaved unlike the dog that bit me.

Splash & dash

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2024, 06:50:34 pm »
There is no rule that states a dog should be automatically put to sleep if it bites a person or other animal. Legally, if certain conditions are fulfilled, the person in charge of the dog may be brought before a court and may be ordered to have the dog put to sleep, although this is by no means inevitable.

Yes all the above is  correct but it’s dependent , on who is bitten , where and how they are bitten , has the dog bitten anyone before  , how serious is the attack   Was it one bite or a sustained attack we have had a couple of high profile dog attacks on holiday parks down here the dogs were put down the same day in one case the police shot the dog on site , there is no hard and fast rule , but the  post office always prosecute and if the attack is in the garden or public highways seek to get the dog put down and this is granted in the vast majority of cases .

Yes they do it’s in there health  and safety policy , ime not surmising anything, and it has happened  few time down here and been in all the local papers over the years and on the  TV

Have a read through here and try and find a thread where it says a dog has been put down for biting a postie. https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/community/viewforum.php?f=1

Only the other week in Hayle. No mention of the dog being put down.  https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/boy-7-taken-hospital-after-9092185

It's not in RM's health and safety policy. They don't have regional policies on things like this. They have national policies.

Here’s just one report of a dog attack on a postal worker and the result. There are dozens of them exactly the same if you take a look

Splash & dash

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2024, 06:54:28 pm »

And hears another one would you like me to supply you with a comprehensive list as there are dozens of ones all the same

KS Cleaning

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2024, 07:38:55 pm »
Just spoke to my mate who’s a postie as I remember him telling me last year he got bit.
The result of the bite was not being put to sleep , his manager went round and had a word with them. Said they will stop delivering mail if it carries on . Not sure where you got your information splash but it’s not right about posties

One of the guys on our station is in the post office and he’s a PHG  and it’s his job to deal with theses things , it’s always leagal action and 99% of the time the dog is put down depending how the attack happens if it’s fingers through the letter box it’s stop delivery’s if it’s a loose dog in the garden it’s a put down job .
Absolute rubbish! 99% of dogs are put down if they bite someone whilst they are loose in their own garden🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. It’s early in the year, but this is going to take some beating for the most ridiculous post of the year🤣.

Bungle

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2024, 07:42:08 pm »
Just spoke to my mate who’s a postie as I remember him telling me last year he got bit.
The result of the bite was not being put to sleep , his manager went round and had a word with them. Said they will stop delivering mail if it carries on . Not sure where you got your information splash but it’s not right about posties

One of the guys on our station is in the post office and he’s a PHG  and it’s his job to deal with theses things , it’s always leagal action and 99% of the time the dog is put down depending how the attack happens if it’s fingers through the letter box it’s stop delivery’s if it’s a loose dog in the garden it’s a put down job .

Here’s just one report of a dog attack on a postal worker and the result. There are dozens of them exactly the same if you take a look

You said 99% of the time the dog is put down if involved with biting a RM employee. I want to evidence of this please.
We look at them, they look through them.

Don Kee

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2024, 08:22:38 pm »
One of my guys got bitten by a customer s dog it was reported to the police and next day it was put down .

I’m also calling bull poo on this particular belter.
It might have been put down (who knows with your jackanory’s)  but unless your “guy” was mauled to death, I doubt it happened the next day.

Splash & dash

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2024, 08:35:51 pm »

Absolute rubbish! 99% of dogs are put down if they bite someone whilst they are loose in their own garden🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. It’s early in the year, but this is going to take some beating for the most ridiculous post of the year🤣.

Just goes to show how little you know 😂😂😂😂

Splash & dash

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2024, 08:42:56 pm »
One of my guys got bitten by a customer s dog it was reported to the police and next day it was put down .

It might have been put down (who knows with your jackanory’s)  but unless your “guy” was mauled to death, I doubt it happened the next day.

He had 22 puncture wounds on his leg and 15 on his arm and 6 on his hand and a 3 inch tare on the arm as well . The dog was taken away within two hours by the police and dog  warden and was put down . It had bitten someone else months before and the owner was told then if it wasn’t kept under control  in future it would be put down should it bite anyone else . We weren't aware of this until the police arrived Don’t care what you believe , why would I make it up ? What is there to be gained ?

Splash & dash

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2024, 08:45:05 pm »

You said 99% of the time the dog is put down if involved with biting a RM employee. I want to evidence of this please.

Look it up on Google the information is freely available, ime not spoon feeding you 😂😂😂 I just plucked off a couple of examples at random there are dozens on them there that you can read

Shrek

« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2024, 08:45:11 pm »
I do agree that 99% of dogs that bite someone should be destroyed but it simply doesn’t happen. You can sue though for a dog bite -

The level of compensation for your dog bite injury claim will vary on a case-by-case basis. However, you could be awarded a minimum amount of £1,000 compensation for general pain and suffering whilst facial injuries or disfigurements could be awarded between £23,000 and £74,000 depending on their severity.

Splash & dash

« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2024, 08:54:31 pm »
I do agree that 99% of dogs that bite someone should be destroyed but it simply doesn’t happen. You can sue though for a dog bite -

The level of compensation for your dog bite injury claim will vary on a case-by-case basis. However, you could be awarded a minimum amount of £1,000 compensation for general pain and suffering whilst facial injuries or disfigurements could be awarded between £23,000 and £74,000 depending on their severity.

My guy got around 3k , it took over a year to get the compensation,, and lots of solicitors letters back and forth he was off work for 3 weeks should have been a lot longer but he’s a hard worker and not one to sit around and wanted to return asap , some of the bites got infected and he was on antibiotics for around 6 months and had to have the leg bandaged all that time , he has some serious scars .

Bungle

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2024, 09:24:41 pm »

He had 22 puncture wounds on his leg and 15 on his arm and 6 on his hand and a 3 inch tare on the arm as well . The dog was taken away within two hours by the police and dog  warden and was put down . It had bitten someone else months before and the owner was told then if it wasn’t kept under control  in future it would be put down should it bite anyone else . We weren't aware of this until the police arrived Don’t care what you believe , why would I make it up ? What is there to be gained ?

Why wasn't it put down after the first bite? Was he one of the 1% that don't get put down?
We look at them, they look through them.

Splash & dash

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2024, 09:29:19 pm »

Why wasn't it put down after the first bite? Was he one of the 1% that don't get put down?

I don’t know , I don’t really know what happened the first time , the police just said that it had bitten some one a few months before and they had been given a caution about keeping it under control and should it bite anyone else it would be put down , it wasn’t the postman that it bit .

DJW

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2024, 09:53:20 pm »
My dog used to chase anybody on a bike.

Police turned up and took his bike away.

p1w1

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2024, 09:55:43 pm »
My dog used to chase anybody on a bike.

Police turned up and took his bike away.
Did the bike get put down the next day ?

KS Cleaning

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2024, 10:15:12 pm »

🤣🤣

Slacky

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2024, 07:45:03 am »
I met one of my neighbours last week down the shop. His dog, which I never knew he had, was outside, with a muzzle on. It was an XL Bully. He seemed nice enough but I wouldn’t want to trust him without the muzzle. I also deliver the local community magazine. I need to use a spatula on his letter box now it seems.

NBwcs

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2024, 09:58:25 am »
This is what posties use

https://www.millsltd.com/default/postpeg-white.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2038644/amp/Postman-protector-New-gadget-saves-dogs-taste-fingers.html

That looks good in theory but alot of letter boxes are so stiff or have an inner flap too that your leaflet would be in a right state by the time its been forced through. Perhaps ok for the majority hopefully.