DJW

Re: Dog bites
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2024, 07:44:50 am »
Quote from: Splash & dash link=topic =224081.msg2150234#msg2150234 date=1708021987
One of my guys got bitten by a customer s dog it was reported to the police and next day it was put down .

I’ve heard some utter nonsense on these forums over the years but this beats the lot of
it  ;D

It’s a shaggy dog story 😉

alank

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2024, 07:51:17 am »
Just dropped a customer yesterday as they have acquired a huge black guard dog.
In my opinion it's not worth the risk continuing to work at their property.
I have hundreds of customers who don't have huge snarling barking guard dogs.
I know which properties I would rather be working on ;D

Spruce

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2024, 09:22:54 am »
Same as Smudger 4 stitches in finger for trying to push flyer all the way through letter box.

A postie now retired used to put flyers and letters through the letter box with a ruler. I thought that was so simple and a brilliant solution.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

High-Tower

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2024, 10:44:12 am »
Same as Smudger 4 stitches in finger for trying to push flyer all the way through letter box.

A postie now retired used to put flyers and letters through the letter box with a ruler. I thought that was so simple and a brilliant solution.

Spatula works too! Saves leaving them hanging out of the door.

Shrek

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2024, 11:22:51 am »
Just spoke to my mate who’s a postie as I remember him telling me last year he got bit.
The result of the bite was not being put to sleep , his manager went round and had a word with them. Said they will stop delivering mail if it carries on . Not sure where you got your information splash but it’s not right about posties

Stoots

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2024, 12:11:28 pm »
Never but ive had a couple of heart stopping moments. I usually dump customers with big scary dogs if i cant see if they are out before i go round the back... i cant stand the things.

NBwcs

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2024, 12:26:30 pm »
Thought I was covered for tetanus for life but doctors surgery say I need to go to outpatients to get it looked at as they often like to give another booster if wound is dirty or infected  ::)roll. That'll be a wait and a half. No point in telling people your covered for life when your probably not.

simon w

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2024, 01:09:31 pm »
There is no rule that states a dog should be automatically put to sleep if it bites a person or other animal. Legally, if certain conditions are fulfilled, the person in charge of the dog may be brought before a court and may be ordered to have the dog put to sleep, although this is by no means inevitable.

What if your bitten by a police dog??

That takes the biscuit.

Dog biscuit Bono??

dazmond

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2024, 01:31:50 pm »
I've been bitten twice(pushing slips through doors).nothing more than a little nip on the fingers though....

Most of my customers dogs are fine and quite a lot have cats including the cross eyed persian type cats....

One of my customers paid 4.5k for a frenchie.madness!it can't even bark!just a weird growl.horrible,ugly dogs!

Some people need a check up from the neck up!

Dogs do get put down for biting people.i remember a customers dog (border collie)biting a little girl on the hand one day.it was destroyed within a few days.....
price higher/work harder!

Bungle

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2024, 03:25:54 pm »
Thought I was covered for tetanus for life but doctors surgery say I need to go to outpatients to get it looked at as they often like to give another booster if wound is dirty or infected  ::)roll. That'll be a wait and a half. No point in telling people your covered for life when your probably not.

Are you feeling a bit ruff today?
We look at them, they look through them.

Splash & dash

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2024, 03:27:00 pm »
Just spoke to my mate who’s a postie as I remember him telling me last year he got bit.
The result of the bite was not being put to sleep , his manager went round and had a word with them. Said they will stop delivering mail if it carries on . Not sure where you got your information splash but it’s not right about posties

One of the guys on our station is in the post office and he’s a PHG  and it’s his job to deal with theses things , it’s always leagal action and 99% of the time the dog is put down depending how the attack happens if it’s fingers through the letter box it’s stop delivery’s if it’s a loose dog in the garden it’s a put down job .

DJW

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2024, 04:23:00 pm »
There is no rule that states a dog should be automatically put to sleep if it bites a person or other animal. Legally, if certain conditions are fulfilled, the person in charge of the dog may be brought before a court and may be ordered to have the dog put to sleep, although this is by no means inevitable.

So my mate who works for the RSPCA said down the pub today.

Splash & dash

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2024, 04:33:17 pm »

Yes all the above is  correct but it’s dependent , on who is bitten , where and how they are bitten , has the dog bitten anyone before  , how serious is the attack   Was it one bite or a sustained attack we have had a couple of high profile dog attacks on holiday parks down here the dogs were put down the same day in one case the police shot the dog on site , there is no hard and fast rule , but the  post office always prosecute and if the attack is in the garden or public highways seek to get the dog put down and this is granted in the vast majority of cases .

Bungle

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2024, 04:56:50 pm »

Yes all the above is  correct but it’s dependent , on who is bitten , where and how they are bitten , has the dog bitten anyone before  , how serious is the attack   Was it one bite or a sustained attack we have had a couple of high profile dog attacks on holiday parks down here the dogs were put down the same day in one case the police shot the dog on site , there is no hard and fast rule , but the  post office always prosecute and if the attack is in the garden or public highways seek to get the dog put down and this is granted in the vast majority of cases .

They don't and they don't have the dog put down either. FACT. Stop surmising.

Shrek

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2024, 05:10:25 pm »

Exactly, my mate was taken to hospital by his manager . They did not prosecute or go to the police , the manager asked them to keep the dog inside or they’d stop delivering mail to the house. The dog is still alive .

Splash & dash

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2024, 05:20:26 pm »

Yes they do it’s in there health  and safety policy , ime not surmising anything, and it has happened  few time down here and been in all the local papers over the years and on the  TV

Splash & dash

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2024, 05:21:21 pm »

Exactly, my mate was taken to hospital by his manager . They did not prosecute or go to the police , the manager asked them to keep the dog inside or they’d stop delivering mail to the house. The dog is still alive .

What area is this in ? This is not the policy that they work to down here

DJW

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2024, 05:27:42 pm »
I was bitten by a German Wire Haired Terrier, they are quite large and not known to be aggressive. I got bitten in several places (including my manhood). It also bit the postman.
The customer put a doorbell on the gate at the end of the drive with a postbox screwed onto it.
Dog is still alive and so is the postman.

The area of the attack was between my legs.

DJW

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2024, 05:34:56 pm »

Bungle

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2024, 05:45:16 pm »

Yes they do it’s in there health  and safety policy , ime not surmising anything, and it has happened  few time down here and been in all the local papers over the years and on the  TV

Have a read through here and try and find a thread where it says a dog has been put down for biting a postie. https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/community/viewforum.php?f=1

Only the other week in Hayle. No mention of the dog being put down.  https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/boy-7-taken-hospital-after-9092185

It's not in RM's health and safety policy. They don't have regional policies on things like this. They have national policies.