NBwcs

Dog bites
« on: February 15, 2024, 06:24:26 pm »
Ffs, today was the eighth time I've been bitten doing this job, it's ridiculous. Proper grumpy tonight too as this was avoidable. Owners were out but son was home, and knew I was there as had spent 15mins cleaning the front and dog had let him know. Goes round the back and French door is open. At this point I assume they think dog is friendly hence OK around me or that dog is in another room and can't get out. Wrong on both counts, I now have two holes in my trousers and a sore, hot calf (haven't even had a chance to look at it yet as got thermals on). Don't think it's going to be too bad but eight times isn't acceptable,anyone would think I'm carrying sausages in my pockets. Is anyone else getting bitten this often?  8 in 20yrs shining!

Splash & dash

Re: Dog bites
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2024, 06:33:07 pm »
All I can say is why do you keep doing the job ? One of my guys got bitten by a customer s dog it was reported to the police and next day it was put down . Postmen if bitten report it straight away and legal action is always taken again in the majority of cases the dog is put down and the owner gets sued .

NBwcs

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2024, 06:48:13 pm »
All I can say is why do you keep doing the job ? One of my guys got bitten by a customer s dog it was reported to the police and next day it was put down . Postmen if bitten report it straight away and legal action is always taken again in the majority of cases the dog is put down and the owner gets sued .

I havnt been bitten eight times by the same dog  ;D, now that would be ridiculous, all different dogs on different properties.

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 06:53:20 pm »
Thankfully only been the once while canvassing - it was a pit bull type laying in n wait as I posted a flyer  deep cut around the nail

Any customer with an uncontrolled dog is dropped
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

AuRavelling79

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2024, 07:25:14 pm »
Nipped once twenty years ago. Customer dropped.

Never had a problem with dogs before or since.
It's a game of three halves!

matty72

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2024, 07:48:49 pm »
Got bit about 6 months ago, a medium sized greyhound dog like, every time i do the windows it goes mental, this day walked around the back, the back door open, dog runs straight out bit me, some blood three teeth marks, carried on going for me trying to kick it of me, woman screaming he 's never bit anyone before, I ran dog chased closed gate lucky, still do the the job, bit shaken up i was, lucky the dog want any bigger.

Splash & dash

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 08:00:31 pm »

I havnt been bitten eight times by the same dog  ;D, now that would be ridiculous, all different dogs on different properties.

Ah ok though you meant same dog 😂😂😂 with 5 staff over 25 years we have only had one incident , that resulted in the dog being put down the owners knew it was dangerous as it had bitten someone else , which we didn’t know at the time . We have dropped jobs ware the dogs could be a problem we had one that had two Alsatian’s that nearly came through the window at us and they could open the front door , told the woman we weren’t prepared to take the risk of being bitten, I love dogs  and arnt afraid of the vast majority but you just get a gut feeling about the odd one

JandS

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2024, 08:55:45 pm »
Same as Smudger 4 stitches in finger for trying to push flyer all the way through letter box.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2024, 09:18:11 pm »
Only once for me in 29 years. Used to do a pub back in the day and have to go in to collect the £10 from the bar. An Alsatian (their pub dog) nipped my private parts. It was bloody painful and thankfully just a nip but enough for me to be in pain. I was young and  naive at the time. I wouldn’t tolerate that now! Had a bruise too for a few days! Thinking about it i had a lucky escape there.

Smudger

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2024, 09:20:37 pm »
I am reminded of a customer with a jack russel they had a flap in the back door - it see to tear out at 100 mph all teeth blazing - that’s when I found an slx had another use 😜

After 5 cleans it never came out while I was cleaning 👍
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Bungle

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2024, 10:08:57 pm »
 Anyone else have dogs that go mad chasing the brush when they're the other side of the glass? I make sure I do a double clean on those windows  :P
We look at them, they look through them.

Smudger

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2024, 10:12:19 pm »
No, several Cats tho

deeege

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2024, 10:31:36 pm »
Quote from: Splash & dash link=topic =224081.msg2150234#msg2150234 date=1708021987
One of my guys got bitten by a customer s dog it was reported to the police and next day it was put down .

I’ve heard some utter nonsense on these forums over the years but this beats the lot of
it  ;D
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Splash & dash

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2024, 10:49:42 pm »
Quote from: Splash & dash link=topic =224081.msg2150234#msg2150234 date=1708021987
One of my guys got bitten by a customer s dog it was reported to the police and next day it was put down .

I’ve heard some utter nonsense on these forums over the years but this beats the lot of
it  ;D

The dog had been reported and the owners cautioned for a previous attack which we were unaware of , when I reported it to the police they went round the next day after statement had been taken and pictures of the bites seen the dog was taken straight to the vets and put down . It’s not utter nonsense it’s a fact  as per usual you are talking out of your ass . Exactly the same thing happens the first time a dog bites a postman and the owners are always prosecuted

deeege

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2024, 10:54:28 pm »

it  ;D

The dog had been reported and the owners cautioned for a previous attack which we were unaware of , when I reported it to the police they went round the next day after statement had been taken and pictures of the bites seen the dog was taken straight to the vets and put down . It’s not utter nonsense it’s a fact  as per usual you are talking out of your ass . Exactly the same thing happens the first time a dog bites a postman and the owners are always prosecuted

Yep, next day after a dog bite the police rush round, seize the dog,  sort the paperwork and it gets taken to the nearest vets and gets put down.

Nonsense.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Splash & dash

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2024, 11:09:13 pm »

it  ;D

Yep, next day after a dog bite the police rush round, seize the dog,  sort the paperwork and it gets taken to the nearest vets and gets put down.

Nonsense.

No it’s taken very seriously especially on a second attack a local postman was bitten and the dog  was put down within hours it was in all the local papers at the time , you can believe what you want but it’s a fact , there have been several high profile cases on the a news ware dogs  have attacked people and been destroyed within a couple of hours try google there are loads on there if you fancy a read

Shrek

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2024, 07:13:57 am »
There is no rule that states a dog should be automatically put to sleep if it bites a person or other animal. Legally, if certain conditions are fulfilled, the person in charge of the dog may be brought before a court and may be ordered to have the dog put to sleep, although this is by no means inevitable.

simon w

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2024, 07:31:21 am »
There is no rule that states a dog should be automatically put to sleep if it bites a person or other animal. Legally, if certain conditions are fulfilled, the person in charge of the dog may be brought before a court and may be ordered to have the dog put to sleep, although this is by no means inevitable.

What if your bitten by a police dog??

simon w

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2024, 07:32:49 am »
I expect Daz has had a few love bites while on duty over the years.  ::)roll

DJW

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2024, 07:40:51 am »

That takes the biscuit.

DJW

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2024, 07:44:50 am »

it  ;D

It’s a shaggy dog story 😉

alank

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2024, 07:51:17 am »
Just dropped a customer yesterday as they have acquired a huge black guard dog.
In my opinion it's not worth the risk continuing to work at their property.
I have hundreds of customers who don't have huge snarling barking guard dogs.
I know which properties I would rather be working on ;D

Spruce

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2024, 09:22:54 am »
Same as Smudger 4 stitches in finger for trying to push flyer all the way through letter box.

A postie now retired used to put flyers and letters through the letter box with a ruler. I thought that was so simple and a brilliant solution.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

High-Tower

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2024, 10:44:12 am »

A postie now retired used to put flyers and letters through the letter box with a ruler. I thought that was so simple and a brilliant solution.

Spatula works too! Saves leaving them hanging out of the door.

Shrek

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2024, 11:22:51 am »
Just spoke to my mate who’s a postie as I remember him telling me last year he got bit.
The result of the bite was not being put to sleep , his manager went round and had a word with them. Said they will stop delivering mail if it carries on . Not sure where you got your information splash but it’s not right about posties

Stoots

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2024, 12:11:28 pm »
Never but ive had a couple of heart stopping moments. I usually dump customers with big scary dogs if i cant see if they are out before i go round the back... i cant stand the things.

NBwcs

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2024, 12:26:30 pm »
Thought I was covered for tetanus for life but doctors surgery say I need to go to outpatients to get it looked at as they often like to give another booster if wound is dirty or infected  ::)roll. That'll be a wait and a half. No point in telling people your covered for life when your probably not.

simon w

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2024, 01:09:31 pm »

That takes the biscuit.

Dog biscuit Bono??

dazmond

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2024, 01:31:50 pm »
I've been bitten twice(pushing slips through doors).nothing more than a little nip on the fingers though....

Most of my customers dogs are fine and quite a lot have cats including the cross eyed persian type cats....

One of my customers paid 4.5k for a frenchie.madness!it can't even bark!just a weird growl.horrible,ugly dogs!

Some people need a check up from the neck up!

Dogs do get put down for biting people.i remember a customers dog (border collie)biting a little girl on the hand one day.it was destroyed within a few days.....
price higher/work harder!

Bungle

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2024, 03:25:54 pm »
Thought I was covered for tetanus for life but doctors surgery say I need to go to outpatients to get it looked at as they often like to give another booster if wound is dirty or infected  ::)roll. That'll be a wait and a half. No point in telling people your covered for life when your probably not.

Are you feeling a bit ruff today?

Splash & dash

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2024, 03:27:00 pm »
Just spoke to my mate who’s a postie as I remember him telling me last year he got bit.
The result of the bite was not being put to sleep , his manager went round and had a word with them. Said they will stop delivering mail if it carries on . Not sure where you got your information splash but it’s not right about posties

One of the guys on our station is in the post office and he’s a PHG  and it’s his job to deal with theses things , it’s always leagal action and 99% of the time the dog is put down depending how the attack happens if it’s fingers through the letter box it’s stop delivery’s if it’s a loose dog in the garden it’s a put down job .

DJW

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2024, 04:23:00 pm »

So my mate who works for the RSPCA said down the pub today.

Splash & dash

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2024, 04:33:17 pm »

Yes all the above is  correct but it’s dependent , on who is bitten , where and how they are bitten , has the dog bitten anyone before  , how serious is the attack   Was it one bite or a sustained attack we have had a couple of high profile dog attacks on holiday parks down here the dogs were put down the same day in one case the police shot the dog on site , there is no hard and fast rule , but the  post office always prosecute and if the attack is in the garden or public highways seek to get the dog put down and this is granted in the vast majority of cases .

Bungle

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2024, 04:56:50 pm »

Yes all the above is  correct but it’s dependent , on who is bitten , where and how they are bitten , has the dog bitten anyone before  , how serious is the attack   Was it one bite or a sustained attack we have had a couple of high profile dog attacks on holiday parks down here the dogs were put down the same day in one case the police shot the dog on site , there is no hard and fast rule , but the  post office always prosecute and if the attack is in the garden or public highways seek to get the dog put down and this is granted in the vast majority of cases .

They don't and they don't have the dog put down either. FACT. Stop surmising.

Shrek

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2024, 05:10:25 pm »

Exactly, my mate was taken to hospital by his manager . They did not prosecute or go to the police , the manager asked them to keep the dog inside or they’d stop delivering mail to the house. The dog is still alive .

Splash & dash

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2024, 05:20:26 pm »

Yes they do it’s in there health  and safety policy , ime not surmising anything, and it has happened  few time down here and been in all the local papers over the years and on the  TV

Splash & dash

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2024, 05:21:21 pm »

Exactly, my mate was taken to hospital by his manager . They did not prosecute or go to the police , the manager asked them to keep the dog inside or they’d stop delivering mail to the house. The dog is still alive .

What area is this in ? This is not the policy that they work to down here

DJW

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2024, 05:27:42 pm »
I was bitten by a German Wire Haired Terrier, they are quite large and not known to be aggressive. I got bitten in several places (including my manhood). It also bit the postman.
The customer put a doorbell on the gate at the end of the drive with a postbox screwed onto it.
Dog is still alive and so is the postman.

The area of the attack was between my legs.

DJW

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2024, 05:34:56 pm »

Bungle

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2024, 05:45:16 pm »

Yes they do it’s in there health  and safety policy , ime not surmising anything, and it has happened  few time down here and been in all the local papers over the years and on the  TV

Have a read through here and try and find a thread where it says a dog has been put down for biting a postie. https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/community/viewforum.php?f=1

Only the other week in Hayle. No mention of the dog being put down.  https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/boy-7-taken-hospital-after-9092185

It's not in RM's health and safety policy. They don't have regional policies on things like this. They have national policies.

Splash & dash

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2024, 06:14:38 pm »

Have a read through here and try and find a thread where it says a dog has been put down for biting a postie. https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/community/viewforum.php?f=1

Only the other week in Hayle. No mention of the dog being put down.  https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/boy-7-taken-hospital-after-9092185

It's not in RM's health and safety policy. They don't have regional policies on things like this. They have national policies.

Tried looking at it but you need to be a member and have an account to view it ? Also doesn’t give you the option to search about dog bites ?.

As for the attack in hayle do you have all the facts do you know what’s happened to the dog ?..

windowswashed

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2024, 06:40:55 pm »
.I was bitten by a dog once whilst carrying ladders and a bucket, two bites in the back of my leg in an alleyway. Reported it to the police and the owner was informed the dog had to wear a muzzle fitted when out in public. She never maintained keeping a muzzle fitted and shortly after my incident the dog bit  a small child in the face and so the dog was automatically put down and so it should  as owner was irresponsible.

I own a dog myself and she is well behaved unlike the dog that bit me.

Splash & dash

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2024, 06:50:34 pm »

Here’s just one report of a dog attack on a postal worker and the result. There are dozens of them exactly the same if you take a look

Splash & dash

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2024, 06:54:28 pm »

And hears another one would you like me to supply you with a comprehensive list as there are dozens of ones all the same

KS Cleaning

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2024, 07:38:55 pm »

One of the guys on our station is in the post office and he’s a PHG  and it’s his job to deal with theses things , it’s always leagal action and 99% of the time the dog is put down depending how the attack happens if it’s fingers through the letter box it’s stop delivery’s if it’s a loose dog in the garden it’s a put down job .
Absolute rubbish! 99% of dogs are put down if they bite someone whilst they are loose in their own garden🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. It’s early in the year, but this is going to take some beating for the most ridiculous post of the year🤣.

Bungle

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2024, 07:42:08 pm »

Here’s just one report of a dog attack on a postal worker and the result. There are dozens of them exactly the same if you take a look

You said 99% of the time the dog is put down if involved with biting a RM employee. I want to evidence of this please.

Don Kee

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2024, 08:22:38 pm »

I’m also calling bull poo on this particular belter.
It might have been put down (who knows with your jackanory’s)  but unless your “guy” was mauled to death, I doubt it happened the next day.

Splash & dash

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2024, 08:35:51 pm »

Absolute rubbish! 99% of dogs are put down if they bite someone whilst they are loose in their own garden🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. It’s early in the year, but this is going to take some beating for the most ridiculous post of the year🤣.

Just goes to show how little you know 😂😂😂😂

Splash & dash

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2024, 08:42:56 pm »

It might have been put down (who knows with your jackanory’s)  but unless your “guy” was mauled to death, I doubt it happened the next day.

He had 22 puncture wounds on his leg and 15 on his arm and 6 on his hand and a 3 inch tare on the arm as well . The dog was taken away within two hours by the police and dog  warden and was put down . It had bitten someone else months before and the owner was told then if it wasn’t kept under control  in future it would be put down should it bite anyone else . We weren't aware of this until the police arrived Don’t care what you believe , why would I make it up ? What is there to be gained ?

Splash & dash

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2024, 08:45:05 pm »

You said 99% of the time the dog is put down if involved with biting a RM employee. I want to evidence of this please.

Look it up on Google the information is freely available, ime not spoon feeding you 😂😂😂 I just plucked off a couple of examples at random there are dozens on them there that you can read

Shrek

« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2024, 08:45:11 pm »
I do agree that 99% of dogs that bite someone should be destroyed but it simply doesn’t happen. You can sue though for a dog bite -

The level of compensation for your dog bite injury claim will vary on a case-by-case basis. However, you could be awarded a minimum amount of £1,000 compensation for general pain and suffering whilst facial injuries or disfigurements could be awarded between £23,000 and £74,000 depending on their severity.

Splash & dash

« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2024, 08:54:31 pm »
I do agree that 99% of dogs that bite someone should be destroyed but it simply doesn’t happen. You can sue though for a dog bite -

The level of compensation for your dog bite injury claim will vary on a case-by-case basis. However, you could be awarded a minimum amount of £1,000 compensation for general pain and suffering whilst facial injuries or disfigurements could be awarded between £23,000 and £74,000 depending on their severity.

My guy got around 3k , it took over a year to get the compensation,, and lots of solicitors letters back and forth he was off work for 3 weeks should have been a lot longer but he’s a hard worker and not one to sit around and wanted to return asap , some of the bites got infected and he was on antibiotics for around 6 months and had to have the leg bandaged all that time , he has some serious scars .

Bungle

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2024, 09:24:41 pm »

He had 22 puncture wounds on his leg and 15 on his arm and 6 on his hand and a 3 inch tare on the arm as well . The dog was taken away within two hours by the police and dog  warden and was put down . It had bitten someone else months before and the owner was told then if it wasn’t kept under control  in future it would be put down should it bite anyone else . We weren't aware of this until the police arrived Don’t care what you believe , why would I make it up ? What is there to be gained ?

Why wasn't it put down after the first bite? Was he one of the 1% that don't get put down?

Splash & dash

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2024, 09:29:19 pm »

Why wasn't it put down after the first bite? Was he one of the 1% that don't get put down?

I don’t know , I don’t really know what happened the first time , the police just said that it had bitten some one a few months before and they had been given a caution about keeping it under control and should it bite anyone else it would be put down , it wasn’t the postman that it bit .

DJW

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2024, 09:53:20 pm »
My dog used to chase anybody on a bike.

Police turned up and took his bike away.

p1w1

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2024, 09:55:43 pm »
My dog used to chase anybody on a bike.

Police turned up and took his bike away.
Did the bike get put down the next day ?

KS Cleaning

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2024, 10:15:12 pm »

🤣🤣

Slacky

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2024, 07:45:03 am »
I met one of my neighbours last week down the shop. His dog, which I never knew he had, was outside, with a muzzle on. It was an XL Bully. He seemed nice enough but I wouldn’t want to trust him without the muzzle. I also deliver the local community magazine. I need to use a spatula on his letter box now it seems.

NBwcs

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2024, 09:58:25 am »
This is what posties use

https://www.millsltd.com/default/postpeg-white.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2038644/amp/Postman-protector-New-gadget-saves-dogs-taste-fingers.html

That looks good in theory but alot of letter boxes are so stiff or have an inner flap too that your leaflet would be in a right state by the time its been forced through. Perhaps ok for the majority hopefully.

Smudger

« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2024, 11:21:21 am »
This is like the water tank saga all over again

Splash you do paint yourself into a corner when there’s no need to

DJW

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2024, 02:30:36 pm »
I was only talking to my mate this morning and he’s a retained window cleaner, we were both on a shout. Back at HQ he reckoned any dog that craps in the customers back garden will be euthanised by half past three the same day, company policy.

Splash & dash

« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2024, 02:33:11 pm »
This is like the water tank saga all over again

Splash you do paint yourself into a corner when there’s no need to

Just telling it as is it is , and what happened to one of my guys if ones don’t like it I can’t help that , I have posted proof and there are dozens of other reports that one can see for themselves.

markymark

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2024, 04:56:52 pm »
Wading in with my two penneth worth that either proves nothing or  proves something, depending what you take from it.
#1 I was bitten on the arm by a ridgeback that ran out of its back garden to 'greet' me. I spoke to a bobby who's windows I clean who said the police would/could take action against the owner depending on whether I wanted to report it. I took it no further for reasons I can't be bothered to go in to here. That said, I wish I had done as I wouldn't be surprised if the dog has gone on to bite someone else. My bad really.
#2 my friends were both police officers. She was in the dog section and took in a rescued spaniel. The dog was very nervous and unpredictable,  but she was trying her best to sort the dogs behaviour out. Sadly she died of cancer after only 12 months of having the dog, so work stopped on the dogs behaviour. Fast forward 12 months from then and her elderly mum is stroking the dog, the dog gets spooked and bites the mum. A small bite, but a bite none the less. As she goes to hospital, the hospital staff had an obligation to report it. That same day the police are out to my friends house, and the concession to my friends (very) senior position in the police was to be given the chance to euthanize the dog on his terms (straight away) rather than have the police take it away to do so.
Maybe the police response varies from area to area, who knows. My only take-away from what I experienced is that if I'm unlucky enough to be bitten again, I'm reporting it.
The good thing about science is that it's true whether you believe it or not.

Smudger

« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2024, 05:17:39 pm »
Not going to split hairs but just like your insurance ‘proof’ one concerned a bully xl is he other a large dog and that was in south London - have you moved

Nothing about/from Royal Mail policy prosecution of these dogs  ( too busy doing innocent post masters )  only urging owners to be more careful

Splash & dash

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2024, 05:48:55 pm »
Not going to split hairs but just like your insurance ‘proof’ one concerned a bully xl is he other a large dog and that was in south London - have you moved

Nothing about/from Royal Mail policy prosecution of these dogs  ( too busy doing innocent post masters )  only urging owners to be more careful

As I said earlier one of the guys from our fire station is a PGH with the  Royal Mail/ post office it’s his job to deal with all this and he said there policy  is to always prosecute, and in the vast majority of cases the dog is put down , ime only repeating what he’s saying and I trust him as have known and worked with him over 37 years

Shrek

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2024, 06:46:49 pm »

As I said earlier one of the guys from our fire station is a PGH with the  Royal Mail/ post office it’s his job to deal with all this and he said there policy  is to always prosecute, and in the vast majority of cases the dog is put down , ime only repeating what he’s saying and I trust him as have known and worked with him over 37 years

I worked for Royal Mail for 20 years , a PHG is just another name for a full time worker who used to get extra allowances which the union sold for higher basic pay. A phg would not be dealing with such matters , it’s either a manager and or union rep . My mate at the D.O. , said there are no prosecutions or dogs put down , the owners are asked to keep their dogs under control and fit a letterbox cage . If they don’t , then they have to pick their own mail up from the delivery office

Splash & dash

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2024, 07:15:50 pm »

I worked for Royal Mail for 20 years , a PHG is just another name for a full time worker who used to get extra allowances which the union sold for higher basic pay. A phg would not be dealing with such matters , it’s either a manager and or union rep . My mate at the D.O. , said there are no prosecutions or dogs put down , the owners are asked to keep their dogs under control and fit a letterbox cage . If they don’t , then they have to pick their own mail up from the delivery office

I don’t intend arguing about this he’s a PHG in charge of an office  don’t know his full title but he’s been there  around 38 years  and started off as a postman and worked his way up , every attack is reported to the police and and in the majority of  cases the dog is put down , don’t know how much input the police have with this ? He’s certainly not a union rep .

Shrek

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2024, 09:08:51 pm »

I don’t intend arguing about this he’s a PHG in charge of an office  don’t know his full title but he’s been there  around 38 years  and started off as a postman and worked his way up , every attack is reported to the police and and in the majority of  cases the dog is put down , don’t know how much input the police have with this ? He’s certainly not a union rep .

He’ll be a manager then if he’s in charge of an office - think about it - if you had a normal full time member of  staff that worked for you , would you just put him in charge of dog bites , dealing with police, solicitors & courts if he’s on the same pay as the other full timers?

Smudger

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2024, 10:32:48 pm »
Reporting an attack is vastly different from a prosecution ( just saying )

KS Cleaning

« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2024, 12:07:04 am »

Well that’s quite a climb down from the 99% you stated earlier in the thread!

Splash & dash

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2024, 05:04:43 pm »

Well that’s quite a climb down from the 99% you stated earlier in the thread!

I don’t know the exact number of incidents but all are reported to the police , any attack in 99% of cases the dog is put down this is usually in the customers garden or in a public place , fingers through letterboxes is still reported and legal action taken , not sure exactly what happens then , but several postmen have been bitten over the last few years sometimes with multiple bites to various body parts and I know for a fact all those dogs  have been put down .

Smudger

« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2024, 06:20:16 pm »
Your wobbling splash - your slowly changing your statement!

Go on - be a devil - admit you embellished your story 😀 - just this once … 🤨

Splash & dash

« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2024, 07:29:13 pm »
Your wobbling splash - your slowly changing your statement!

Go on - be a devil - admit you embellished your story 😀 - just this once … 🤨

Not at all I have spoken to Mike to get  some clarification on the exact process and that’s what I have posted

DJW

« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2024, 07:42:26 pm »

Smudger

« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2024, 10:26:46 pm »
sorry I think there was an error with your image....

Pete Thompson

« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2024, 11:27:12 pm »
I’ve only been bitten once, by an ugly Irish wolfhound that a guest (holiday let) had left out in the garden.

Not a serious bite, just a nip, didn’t break the skin on my leg or tear my trousers, but annoying nonetheless.

I didn’t complain, but the guests did tell the owner of the cottage (which was weird, don’t think I’d have done that), who called me, profusely apologised and asked what I wanted to happen.

I told him nothing, as I had gone into the gated garden, it wasn’t running around loose in public, and it was just a nip.

I’ve no idea what the law is on this, but if I go into someone’s garden and their dog is loose, what happens if it bites me? I always thought people are allowed to keep their own dogs in their own gardens aren’t they?

Anyway, I’m now super wary of all dogs, and will not risk getting bitten, or (my pet hate) dogs jumping up on me.

I dropped a customer once because I had repeatedly told her I didn’t like dogs jumping up on me, and for some reason she always let her dog out when I was there, to jump on me.

(I think she would rather it jump on me than go mental inside the house).

Also, I have found from experience that owners who have poor control over their dogs usually let them poo everywhere in the garden too. We don’t need customers like that!

Splash & dash

« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2024, 08:33:05 am »
I’ve only been bitten once, by an ugly Irish wolfhound that a guest (holiday let) had left out in the garden.

Not a serious bite, just a nip, didn’t break the skin on my leg or tear my trousers, but annoying nonetheless.

I didn’t complain, but the guests did tell the owner of the cottage (which was weird, don’t think I’d have done that), who called me, profusely apologised and asked what I wanted to happen.

I told him nothing, as I had gone into the gated garden, it wasn’t running around loose in public, and it was just a nip.

I’ve no idea what the law is on this, but if I go into someone’s garden and their dog is loose, what happens if it bites me? I always thought people are allowed to keep their own dogs in their own gardens aren’t they?

Anyway, I’m now super wary of all dogs, and will not risk getting bitten, or (my pet hate) dogs jumping up on me.

I dropped a customer once because I had repeatedly told her I didn’t like dogs jumping up on me, and for some reason she always let her dog out when I was there, to jump on me.

(I think she would rather it jump on me than go mental inside the house).

Also, I have found from experience that owners who have poor control over their dogs usually let them poo everywhere in the garden too. We don’t need customers like that!

The law states that by having a letter box or bell on the door that’s an invitation for ones to call , so when you enter their property it should be a safe environment for you , just the same as  a customer letting you work  unsafely can also be held responsible if you get hurt . Signs saying beware dogs isn’t a get out clause either .

james peters

« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2024, 06:29:56 pm »
Before I retire for the night , I have border collies .    very freindly with never any aggression
super intelligent
If they bite you ... its coz you are untrustworthy ;D ;D ;D

pop corn half price in premmier outlets
let the fun begin :D :D