windowswashed

Re: Anyone else here have a stoma bag?
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2024, 07:01:39 pm »
Sorry to hear your situation Mick.
 2002  I was fit as a fiddle and one morning I woke up completely paralysed from the head down. Cut a long story short I had to go and live with my parents who dressed, fed, washed and assisted me toilet wise. It was so embarrassing and demoralising.
Consultants and doctors told me I'd never work again.

I sat my parents down and told them I was going to get busy pushing the pain barrier to get better and if I was still an invalid in twelve months that I would get assisted dying in Switzerland by lethal injection.

I'm the most stubborn and determined person going and twelve months later I had my independence although still in a lot of pain. It felt bloody marvellous to have my independance  even if it was restricted.

Over the next year I gradually worked two hours a day increasing up to a full day on a regular basis. I got lots of help as an outpatient at the hospitals and over the years managed to live an 80percent normal life. Still have bad days occassionally but it's a massive improvement compared to 2002.

There is hope, never lose faith and always remain stubborn and determined with any and every challenge in life.

Wow, what happened to cause that?

Fair play to you !

Just previous to my illness I caught the stomach bug twice in a row really badly  from the hospital, my immune system was knocked out as I woke up paralysed and labelled with chronic rheumatoid arthritis, took a long time for them to make that diagnosis. I'm on medication permanently but that's the price I pay for my independence. There's people worse than me who have had cancer treatment so I count myself lucky.

Being paralysed with muscle wastage, resembling an 80 year old pow from a concentration camp, unable to feed, wash and toilet myself was the lowest point in my life. Thank goodness it was my parents who cared for me 24/7. It is a big shock to the system having to go through it but it made me a more caring and thankful person as a result of it and left me with lots of empathy for others who are less fortunate in life, it opened my eyes to the kindness from others in general.

britishwill

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2024, 08:21:13 pm »
Hi Mick Sorry to hear about your health

You purchased some bits off me when I first started shining. You seemed to be working a million miles an hour and always on the look outdoor opportunities.
All I can say is my brother in law has had a stoma and although a reasonably slow process is getting better all the time, but he had to pace himself with the tiredness.

Best of luck to you bud and keep your chin up

Smudger

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2024, 09:28:34 pm »
Just talking to caz (she says hi!) - one of her mates has a stoma bag - apparently it will take a while to grow and seal properly- so don’t rush into work

Search Facebook there are some very good support groups out there
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Bungle

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2024, 09:46:44 pm »
Just talking to caz (she says hi!) - one of her mates has a stoma bag - apparently it will take a while to grow and seal properly- so don’t rush into work

Search Facebook there are some very good support groups out there

On first read I thought that said 'just talking to caz and she's hi' 😂 just read the weed thread before jumping onto this one 🥴
We look at them, they look through them.

Slacky

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2024, 09:56:15 pm »
My father died at the age of 32 from a brain haemorrage. Woke up in the morning, fit as a fiddle, by the end of the day he was dead.

I had a brain haemorrage also, but at the age of 28. I was fortunate, despite flying twice with it undiagnosed , and was determined to make as full a recovery I possibly could. Despite horrendous health issues it can be possible to recover. The most important part of it isnt the wanting to be the old you but deciding you are going to be the old you.

Sorry for your issues Mick, good luck. Determination is your friend.

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2024, 07:03:22 pm »
I want to wish you guys who have been through hell all the best and I’m so pleased to read some of you have fought through this and come out the other end. It makes me think I am thankful for my health everyday. Life is unfair. I lost my sister suddenly at 40 and saw her lying in the porch. Then life just carried on like it never happened.

Taking me loads of counselling to talk it through and I miss her dreadfully but am so thankful I have my health and family.

Thanks for sharing your stories guys :)