DJW

Re: Pensions For The Self Employed.
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2024, 10:29:55 pm »
“The irony is that lots of people have put money away and been sensible all their lives only to get swept away by a malignant tumour in their late 60s/early 70s.....”

That’s the reason to retire. Quality time before it’s too late. What kind of idiot wants to work in the rain and cold well into their seventies?

dazmond

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2024, 10:37:59 pm »
“The irony is that lots of people have put money away and been sensible all their lives only to get swept away by a malignant tumour in their late 60s/early 70s.....”

That’s the reason to retire. Quality time before it’s too late. What kind of idiot wants to work in the rain and cold well into their seventies?

No need to retire fully if you enjoy your job plus Ive never worked full time since 1992!🤣🤣🤣

The great thing about window cleaning is we can all cut our hours down to suit....

You give off the same vibes as stoots....you absolutely hate the job so I don't blame you wanting to retire early
price higher/work harder!

windowswashed

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2024, 11:10:52 pm »

No need to retire fully if you enjoy your job plus Ive never worked full time since 1992!🤣🤣🤣

The great thing about window cleaning is we can all cut our hours down to suit....

You give off the same vibes as stoots....you absolutely hate the job so I don't blame you wanting to retire early

Not everybody in life has that option of working hours to suit at retirement age to top up their pension. Some have been struggling for years after cancer or with arthritic disease, etc, dodgy shoulders. 

The older you get, the quicker the aches and pains set in. It's no pleasure fighting an illness or the pains and having to work to pay the bills. The least outgoings gives the best options, i.e. mortgage paid so no more dead end renting, pension to fall back on so no having to work to bring an income in.  Not everybody wants to work any longer than necessary to enjoy the rest of their life without commitments to customers to get by. Life is meant to be enjoyed at all ages of life.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2024, 06:51:58 am »
I don't want to stop dead (pun intended) at a fixed retirement age. Personally I am already part time at an average 2 to 4 days a week.

A flexible round paying £3k a month for ten days a month is about right for me now.

Hopefully (if my health holds) when my state pension kicks in I plan on my round being £1500 a month for 5 five hour days of my best work.

A day a week seems perfect for me - exercise, routine, money, meeting people. I have no problem thinking of doing that until my late 60's. Maybe 70.

I have toyed with employing someone on my round as Mrs. Gold and I are good with paperwork, tax etc. but knowing my personality that would only happen if I was mentally able but not physically.

At the current state of the economy I think it would be difficult to find a reliable employee so I think that might be an outlier.

Selling? What might I get for a working van (value 5k) kitted out and a 3k a month round? £20K plus if I help with the handover? Not big loot but if I save it for pension I could pay myself £400 a month for five years if I got interest on the reducing balance.

The other I thought about was doing a bit of part time canvassing.

Just don't have a burning ambition to give up working on a certain date.

It's a game of three halves!

DJW

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2024, 07:04:45 am »
The problem for me was that if I cut my hours down to one day or two days a week, I’d still have pretty much the same outgoings as a full time job, same van costs, same insurances, maybe less fuel.
I enjoyed the banter but hated the job near the end. I think the climate change that’s produced storm after storm decided enough was enough.
Good luck to those who actually enjoy scrubbing windows though, seventeen years of brain dead scrubbing was enough. 🙂

Shrek

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2024, 07:27:04 am »
The irony is that lots of people have put money away and been sensible all their lives only to get swept away by a malignant tumour in their late 60s/early 70s.....

My motto is save regularly,try and look after health and pace yourself(don't work too hard)and go on the trips,places you want to go NOW!don't wait til retirement......you might not reach it(or be in poor health to actually go!)

Mottos are usually catchy, short phrases that you can easily memorize—if they're too long, it will be hard to remember them when you need them most. They can be famous quotes or general sayings, but the shorter the better—because that way, you can remember and access them any time you need them

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2024, 07:40:06 am »
Avoiding retirement is not an option for most people as your body becomes tired. 

I work to live, not live to work, so full retirement it needs to be one day.  Already I see customers younger than me who boast they are now retired and enjoying it.   I refuse to be a slave to the rest of the country.   I want my time in later life to relax and potter around my man cave and take plenty of time whenever I choose to do some traveling, whether it's for just 2 or 20 years.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

dazmond

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2024, 07:45:57 am »
The problem for me was that if I cut my hours down to one day or two days a week, I’d still have pretty much the same outgoings as a full time job, same van costs, same insurances, maybe less fuel.
I enjoyed the banter but hated the job near the end. I think the climate change that’s produced storm after storm decided enough was enough.
Good luck to those who actually enjoy scrubbing windows though, seventeen years of brain dead scrubbing was enough. 🙂

I've worked outside all my working life(36 years)and have no problem with  being outside in all weathers.its good for you IMO.

So many snowflakes in our society these days.i hate the ones wearing crocs/sliders and pyjama type clothing while their out in public glued to their phones....

Lazy,feckless people

dazmond

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2024, 07:55:57 am »
Avoiding retirement is not an option for most people as your body becomes tired. 

I work to live, not live to work, so full retirement it needs to be one day.  Already I see customers younger than me who boast they are now retired and enjoying it.   I refuse to be a slave to the rest of the country.   I want my time in later life to relax and potter around my man cave and take plenty of time whenever I choose to do some traveling, whether it's for just 2 or 20 years.

Some guys have no idea how to look after themselves when they get past 40....

They stop going to the gym,eat and drink excessively and wonder why they feel like crap....this is then when they put it down as 'getting older'.....its nonsense.its lifestyle!

The oldest local window cleaner I know is still working a few mornings a week...he s just turned 80!😃topping up his pension.he looks fantastic for his age!😎

dazmond

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2024, 08:00:30 am »

I already spend quality time with my family,go on the holidays and have time for my hobbies NOW!

I'll only retire fully if I'm forced too due to injury or ill health.

Slacky

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2024, 08:17:49 am »
I’m being forced to ‘retire’ and move to a 4 bedroom home that overlooks the Pacific Ocean.

I’ll get a truck and probs two days a week pressure washing ocean view properties. Tough life  ;D

Apart from that I’ll be kayaking, meditating, swimming, taking images of the night sky, gardening, and DIY. As well as lots of travelling (in Canada and abroad).

If I carryon like this I’m going to start sounding like Dazmondo the baked bean.  I’ll shut up 😀😀

DJW

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2024, 08:26:40 am »
I shouldn’t really stay on this forum but as long as Dazmond keeps posting it makes me chuckle! 😅

Dry Clean

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2024, 08:26:52 am »

I work to live, not live to work, so full retirement it needs to be one day.  Already I see customers younger than me who boast they are now retired and enjoying it.   I refuse to be a slave to the rest of the country.   I want my time in later life to relax and potter around my man cave and take plenty of time whenever I choose to do some traveling, whether it's for just 2 or 20 years.

That's what I have done, turned 60 odds and realised my time was slipping away fast so called t a day bought a campervan started to travel and see/ experience  bit of the world outside of the holiday resorts.
Lifes a very short experience and I can guarantee that nobody looking back on their death bed will wish they had worked more.

Dry Clean

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2024, 08:31:06 am »
I shouldn’t really stay on this forum but as long as Dazmond keeps posting it makes me chuckle! 😅

Dazmond is at that age when he thinks he will live for ever, he also started working late in life so probably thinks he needs to make up for that, when he has 50years of graft under his belt I'm sure his priorities will change. ;D

Stoots

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2024, 09:42:38 am »
I think if you can get into a position where by say 60 you have the mortgage paid, kids flown the nest and no debts then you should be able to cut down to a couple of days a week window cleaning and survive just fine.

I think that's a more realistic strategy than pumping loads into a pension that you may never live to see.

DJW

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2024, 10:10:20 am »
The idea of a pension is that it could give you an income for the rest of your life. You could live for another 25 years.. you certainly won’t be working that length of time past pension age.
Savings don’t keep up with inflation so money not invested will actually lose value over time.
It’s quite complicated but depends on what your plans are and the tax implications of working and drawing a pension.

DJW

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2024, 10:15:20 am »

Dazmond is at that age when he thinks he will live for ever, he also started working late in life so probably thinks he needs to make up for that, when he has 50years of graft under his belt I'm sure his priorities will change. ;D

Dazmond (Mr Bean) reminds me of myself when I was in my early thirties. Healthy living, sneering at fat people and smokers then caught cancer.
He’ll change.

deeege

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2024, 11:20:07 am »
Strange when people say ‘live for the moment, take that trip, saving for retirement is a waste of time’ etc etc.

I have plenty of holidays, weekends away, meals out etc AND also put a good chunk into investments which will hopefully mean I can carry on doing just that into retirement.

Doing both is possible assuming you work hard enough and have good enough work.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

zesty

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2024, 01:10:23 pm »
We bought a pretty big house, for a relative bargain price in a very sought after area.

We’re not far off a 5 year renovation project.

We should make £250,000 out of it by the end of the 5 years.

I’ve done most of the work myself and added tremendously to the value of the house .

We have this to sit on, sell, or rent out for 2k a month in the current market.

We plan to clear the mortgage and if we stay here, we can downsize and put the profit into other properties.

That’s my plan, I prefer it to pensions.

There is no right or wrong, whatever works for the individual!

cgh window cleaning

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2024, 02:20:42 pm »
I actually had a meeting with a pension advisor last week.
He was very knowledgeable and knew what he was talking about and I’m waiting for some final figures.

I find some off it a little hard to understand but I believe the earlier you start one naturally the better it will do.I’ve left it a little late but have other investments.

Pensions actually seem a good investment if you’re a higher rate tax payer as you’re getting more for your money you deposit then your tax bracket will likely drop when you retire.on exit you can also take 25% tax free at 55.