Steve H

roof cleaning
« on: January 26, 2024, 12:58:45 pm »
Hi Guys, for those that do roofs, just your thoughts on it please.
Ive cleaned a few roofs now over the last 18 months, mainly bungalows by using my scraping tools and then biocide, with some great results.
I now have a few houses to do, some are happy for me to pressure wash, then biocide. I will be using all the correct equipment (purchasing the fsc and probably dual jet twin nozzles) so its all done properly, without spending too much time/if any on the roof and also using the correct pressure, not blasting it to death!
Having said all that, you get a lot of info on google that says you shouldnt be pressure washing a roof! and yet recently ive seen a post from "British Window Cleaning Academy" that is promoting its new way of cleaning roofs from the safety of the ground, using pressure washing equipment! Surely they wouldnt be promoting that if its not the way to go.
I will still be scraping some roofs,  but now in my 50s i feel the pressure washing (for some roof jobs) is the way to go?
Any thoughts on this much appreciated.
Thanks in advance guys...Steve

If you reach for the stars and only reach the moon, you will have acheived more than you thought you could.

Smudger

Re: roof cleaning
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024, 01:41:34 pm »
we only ever pressure wash.

if your in doubt - go buy a roof tile - pressure wash it at maximum pressure I'll give you £100 if you could even make a mark in it.

roof tiles are either (in the main) clay or concrete - you cant damage either with a pressure washer  - other tiles like slate need more care - but usually in respect of walking on them

Pan tiles are also more delicate as you usually find cracked and broken ones as you clean  - the older clay ones especially as the cold makes them brittle ( but still very cleanable using pressure )

A lot of mis understanding of roof cleaning comes from the US where roof tiles are wood shingle of felt covered and not concrete tile
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

zesty

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2024, 09:34:31 am »
I’ve always wondered, when you Google it, there are lots of articles which suggest pressure washing concrete roof tiles removes the grain on the surface. This is apparently not good…

I’ve also always pressure washed roofs, but I am wondering what the truth is to this grainy top layer people say is so delicate…

Splash & dash

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2024, 12:28:12 pm »
I’ve always wondered, when you Google it, there are lots of articles which suggest pressure washing concrete roof tiles removes the grain on the surface. This is apparently not good…

I’ve also always pressure washed roofs, but I am wondering what the truth is to this grainy top layer people say is so delicate…

It is true you can remove the sandy top texture layer that’s usually due to using to higher pressure the pikeys round my way always do this then spray the tiles with paint getting on all the windows and gfs. We regularly get asked to remove it same reply is always given get the people who got it on there to remove it but they never will return,you would think ones would learn but they don’t seam to . Most roof tile manufacturers say that there tiles should not be pressure washed , but like a lot of things if it’s done carefully it can be done without causing damage .

zesty

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2024, 01:16:09 pm »
I’m going to do my own roof this spring. I’m going to softwash it though.

I just need to find a way to keep the lead flashing from oxidising. I don’t like to rely on just keeping it wet when working alone.

Slacky

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2024, 04:01:05 pm »

I avoid using a turbo nozzle on roofs for this reason.

To the O/P you say you'll be using an FSC for roof cleaning, what size FSC please?

JandS

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2024, 07:32:46 pm »
Pressure washing the roof was a nightmare for one of the bungalows on our Avenue.....water got into the loft space and caused a lot of damage....firm that did it decided to go bust but I believe he eventually got it sorted to his satisfaction.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

harleyman

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2024, 11:32:41 am »
One of my customers had there roof extention jet washed they were green pigment roman tile shape it took nearly all the coulor out it looked a right twat needles to say they weren't impressed.i was toying with having a go my self at doing it..but I've read some horra stories.  So I'm out..sqeeky clean dave as packed in doing it. To labour intensive if you ask me .if your on ya own

JandS

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2024, 12:54:24 pm »
Did my own....scrape and biocide from that firm in Ireland, forget the name....came up lovely 3 months down the line
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Slacky

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2024, 01:23:20 pm »
Did my own....scrape and biocide from that firm in Ireland, forget the name....came up lovely 3 months down the line

Benz

Steve H

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2024, 10:05:43 pm »
Hi guys thanks for the replies.
I agree if its done properly, with the proper equipment, then all should be okay. However, there are things that can go wrong, as mentioned and I'm now wondering if it's worth just sticking to scraping and biocide, safer option, just very much harder work for sure.....
If you reach for the stars and only reach the moon, you will have acheived more than you thought you could.

zesty

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2024, 07:50:55 am »
Hi guys thanks for the replies.
I agree if its done properly, with the proper equipment, then all should be okay. However, there are things that can go wrong, as mentioned and I'm now wondering if it's worth just sticking to scraping and biocide, safer option, just very much harder work for sure.....

I’d go with hypo, instant and pleasing result. You may need to scrape off moss etc first…

Steve H

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2024, 07:07:15 pm »
I agree that hypo could be used after clearing the moss off, it would have an instant effect, I suppose it depends what result the customer wants.
To one of the previous replies, I was looking at a 12 inch fsc for the roofs if I decide to go down that route. (Rutland pumps)
I also think you need at least two people on the job to answer another. It's easier with two people, to move everything around and clean up behind yourselves etc. IMHO