MrChurchMouse

Huge decline in the quality of squeegee rubber?
« on: January 07, 2024, 05:46:23 pm »
I was wondering if anyone else had noticed a massive decline in the quality and subsequently the longevity of squeegee rubber in recent times? 

Perhaps unlike most here, I still do a lot of traditional work and have really had an issue with squeegee rubber for the past 6 months or so.  Whereas previously it would usually last at least a week and a half, I'm now finding it seems pretty useless right out of the gate.  Literally when breaking out a new rubber for the first customer, it only seems poor to okay, then by the end of the day, it's deteriorated to the point to where it's barely useable. 

It's not even as if constantly swapping out the rubber every couple of days will solve the problem, as even when as new as can be, it's still a shadow of how it should be in terms of performance (leaving a residue behind and squeegee lines all over the place). 

I've experimented recently with numerous different rubbers but they all now seem as bad as each other.    I've got about 18 years experience using traditional tools so I don't think it's my technique, it just seems the quality of the product had dropped tremendously.  Is this effecting anyone else? 

֍Winp®oClean֍

Re: Huge decline in the quality of squeegee rubber?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2024, 05:50:34 pm »
Any chance it could be the soap/cleaning agent you're using?
Comfortably Numb!

simon w

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 07:02:53 pm »
Used to love the SYR 14" rubbers in sealed plastic bags but haven't been able to source these for a few years now. Currently using the red ones from Facelift can't say there as good to be honest.

Stoots

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2024, 07:18:16 pm »
Thought someone had resurrected a thread from 2003

squeegee rubber  :o

MrChurchMouse

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2024, 07:25:19 pm »
Any chance it could be the soap/cleaning agent you're using?

I wouldn't think so as I haven't made any change with that in the timeframe I've noticed the drop off in rubber quality. 

NBwcs

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2024, 07:58:52 pm »
I've always found Ettore to be head and shoulders above the rest but havn't  ordered any for a couple of years as only trad on shop fronts and a few bungalows where its easier than getting the hose out. Has Ettore gone off as well?

Simon Trapani

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2024, 06:02:55 am »
I’ve always used Unger soft. Haven’t bought any for years though due to wfp. As above, these days I only use on a few shops & insides.

Small but perfectley formed

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2024, 06:37:07 am »
Have you tried cleaning Spot  their own brand rubber was decent .
Spit and polish

kikjason

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2024, 07:11:55 am »
Facelift red razrblade are the best last ages

dazmond

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2024, 07:44:02 am »
I’ve always used Unger soft. Haven’t bought any for years though due to wfp. As above, these days I only use on a few shops & insides.

Same.i bought a box of 25 and I still have around 20 rubbers left! ;D

I change mine once a year
price higher/work harder!

Smudger

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2024, 02:01:11 pm »

Same.i bought a box of 25 and I still have around 20 rubbers left! ;D

I change mine once a year

Thought you and the mrs would be through them a lot quicker ..   perhaps it’s the beans putting her off
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

MrChurchMouse

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2024, 06:42:41 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.  It's mainly been various types of Unger and Moreman rubber I've experimented with to poor results. 
Historically, I've always been an Unger rubber buyer but this seems to have deteriorated horribly.  The black Unger 3 star rubber used to be my go to product but this is no longer up to par. 

The red Facelift Razrblade mentioned is perhaps what I've found to be the worst performing rubber.   I have read before though that some people really rate it highly.   

I'll try Ettore and the Cleaning Spot own brand as suggested and see if that brings any improvement.  Thanks. 

DJW

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2024, 06:44:01 pm »
I have noticed condoms are getting smaller every year. Could be a world wide shortage of rubber 🤷‍♂️

chris turner

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2024, 10:18:02 pm »
I have noticed this, particularly with unger hard rubber. Use to be able to turn the rubber over when it got worn on 1 side but every bit of rubber I have had for the past couple of years is unusable on the other side as leaves thick track lines on the glass. The last batch I bought is leaving lines on both sides of the rubber from new.
Like everything these days it's probably cost cutting, giving us consumers sh!tter products for the same or more money.

Missing Link

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2024, 10:12:34 pm »
I was wondering if anyone else had noticed a massive decline in the quality and subsequently the longevity of squeegee rubber

Brexit.
Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am

Spruce

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2024, 11:31:17 am »
I was wondering if anyone else had noticed a massive decline in the quality and subsequently the longevity of squeegee rubber

Brexit.

or Ukraine
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)