AuRavelling79

Extreme pole refurbishment - extending the life.
« on: December 30, 2023, 12:47:48 pm »
My everyday pole is an Extreme 20 - as in the top four sections of an Extreme 25.

Mine gets 'mostly' replaced when one of the top three sections gives up the ghost or wears too thin to clamp easily.

In broad terms I used to get about two years out of them before replacing.

But the previous pole to this one I got over two and a half years out of it by doing a refurb at about one year and this one will be three years in March 2024. And I've done another refurb over Xmas.

Shall I tell you what I do to extend the life and run it as cheaply as possible?

Oh, go on then! (stifles yawn)

Okay ...
It's a game of three halves!

Spruce

Re: Extreme pole refurbishment - extending the life.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2023, 01:13:38 pm »
My everyday pole is an Extreme 20 - as in the top four sections of an Extreme 25.

Mine gets 'mostly' replaced when one of the top three sections gives up the ghost or wears too thin to clamp easily.

In broad terms I used to get about two years out of them before replacing.

But the previous pole to this one I got over two and a half years out of it by doing a refurb at about one year and this one will be three years in March 2024. And I've done another refurb over Xmas.

Shall I tell you what I do to extend the life and run it as cheaply as possible?

Oh, go on then! (stifles yawn)

Okay ...

I was going to 'treat' my poles this past week.  But the only two good weather days have dictated more urgent things needed to be done. I guess they will have to wait for summer.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2023, 01:17:17 pm »
I have a lean-to  errr, I mean ... garden room canopy to work under, Spuce.  ;D

The 4th section hasn't been changed and is three poles (over 5 years) old if that makes sense.

The top three sections were replaced in March 2021 and a new clamp and base cap bought for section 4 at the same time.

Method.

Section 4 gets cleaned out thoroughly with soapy water using a long wooden rod with part of a cut up dish cloth rubber banded to the end. (like pushing wadding into a cannon)

Assemble pole with 3 new sections (they come with stop tape in place). Jaws of section 4 opened with the Gardiners widget thingy (remove clamp lever first). Immediately spray up with a furniture polish. Use pole.

From time to time, fully extend pole and clean outer surfaces, spray with furniture polish.

Every 12 months later. (Depending on wear)

Check if clamps have enough 'play' to leave a gap when closed. If getting narrow buy a new set of clamps (they can be used at the next refurb if OK for now - see Gardiner's site for ways to replace clamps)

Disassemble pole, remove stop tape, wash through as per section 4 above, leave to dry.

Use car spray paint for re doing worn warning stop points. Let dry.

Using Halfords Clear Lacquer spray give two coats 15 minutes apart as per tin instructions. If there are worn points at the pole end maybe add another coat or two for a few inches around the worn point. Let dry overnight.

Reassemble with new tape (insulation tape). Use Gardiner's widget to open clamp jaws and leave clamp levers off until reassembled. Spray up with furniture polish.

Unless I have a section break I think I will get over three years out of my pole - and even then the top three sections will go in my Extreme 47 to replace the top three sections already there.

Time taken?

About two hours all in but you would be wise to leave the lacquer to dry overnight at room temperature before reassembly.

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2023, 03:56:12 pm »
I have a lean-to  errr, I mean ... garden room canopy to work under, Spuce.  ;D

The 4th section hasn't been changed and is three poles (over 5 years) old if that makes sense.

The top three sections were replaced in March 2021 and a new clamp and base cap bought for section 4 at the same time.

Method.

Section 4 gets cleaned out thoroughly with soapy water using a long wooden rod with part of a cut up dish cloth rubber banded to the end. (like pushing wadding into a cannon)

Assemble pole with 3 new sections (they come with stop tape in place). Jaws of section 4 opened with the Gardiners widget thingy (remove clamp lever first). Immediately spray up with a furniture polish. Use pole.

From time to time, fully extend pole and clean outer surfaces, spray with furniture polish.

Every 12 months later. (Depending on wear)

Check if clamps have enough 'play' to leave a gap when closed. If getting narrow buy a new set of clamps (they can be used at the next refurb if OK for now - see Gardiner's site for ways to replace clamps)

Disassemble pole, remove stop tape, wash through as per section 4 above, leave to dry.

Use car spray paint for re doing worn warning stop points. Let dry.

Using Halfords Clear Lacquer spray give two coats 15 minutes apart as per tin instructions. If there are worn points at the pole end maybe add another coat or two for a few inches around the worn point. Let dry overnight.

Reassemble with new tape (insulation tape). Use Gardiner's widget to open clamp jaws and leave clamp levers off until reassembled. Spray up with furniture polish.

Unless I have a section break I think I will get over three years out of my pole - and even then the top three sections will go in my Extreme 47 to replace the top three sections already there.

Time taken?

About two hours all in but you would be wise to leave the lacquer to dry overnight at room temperature before reassembly.

I sprayed my SX22 sections with clear engine lacquer. Doing that every couple of years gave my previous SLX22 a life of 9 years.

The top section eventually become so worn the carbon became soft in places as it was so thin. I replaced that top section with the top section from my old CLX22 pole I had. It's now in the van with a flocked brush on it for leaded windows. Fully extended, the top CLX section has less flex than the other sections do, so that pole is well worn.

I used Halford paint lacquer on my son's old SX25 once. It didn't stick very well and started to flack off after a while. 

I've also got some black engine lacquer for my gutter vac carbon poles, as they are starting to look a little tatty and scratched.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2023, 08:24:01 pm »
Thanks Spruce.

I'm always willing to learn. Where did you get your engine lacquer?

I haven't had issues with the Halfords stuff but if you have something more hard-wearing that's great to know about.

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2023, 06:48:14 am »
Hi Malc.

Currently got a tin of Hycote Extreme heat clear from our local motor factors.

I've used this before and I got off Ebay. 

Simoniz is also a good product, but it doesn't seem to be available these days.

DJW

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2023, 09:24:45 am »
I was hoping to treat my pole but she’s gone down with a filthy cold.

richard connett

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2023, 11:23:05 am »
I always use electrical tape on the closed and fully extended clamp points on each  pole section. Loosen everything off and use as a mark 2 extreme.  No more spinning sections and excessive wear . Just replace tape every month or so

AuRavelling79

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2023, 12:20:15 pm »
I always use electrical tape on the closed and fully extended clamp points on each  pole section. Loosen everything off and use as a mark 2 extreme.  No more spinning sections and excessive wear . Just replace tape every month or so

For my clarity I you mean the very top possible clamp point and the very bottom possible clamp point?

What if you need to clamp part way up a section? More tape in the middle of the bottom sliding section?

tlwcs

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2023, 04:46:23 pm »

Like the old metal bands?

richard connett

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2023, 06:40:58 pm »

For my clarity I you mean the very top possible clamp point and the very bottom possible clamp point?

What if you need to clamp part way up a section? More tape in the middle of the bottom sliding section?

Yes I just clamp at the top and bottom . If the tape was in the middle it would come off quicker

richard connett

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2023, 06:43:25 pm »
I use this electrical tape that’s not too soft . A couple of winds round and it stays on a good while.  By loosening everything off the pole works faster and smoother too.

Spruce

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2024, 12:39:30 pm »
Hi Malc.

Currently got a tin of Hycote Extreme heat clear from our local motor factors.

I've used this before and I got off Ebay. 

Simoniz is also a good product, but it doesn't seem to be available these days.

I'm going to put my recommendation of using Hycote clear engine lacquer on hold for the moment.  This current purchase doesn't appear to be the same as the last tin I used 4 years ago.

I lacquered the sections on Sunday afternoon and put them on radiators to harden on Sunday evening. This morning, the lacquer still appears to not be hard.  The instructions say to leave to harden for 24 hours before use. It's Tuesday today, nearly 48 hours since lacquering them.
I've always put the sections on the hot radiators to harden every time I have lacquered the sections, with good results.

Anyway, I have just finished assembling the pole after putting new stop and wear tape on each section.  We will see how it goes in application.

The first thing the wife said, who worked in the paint industry at one time, was she wondered if they have changed the lacquer's formula.

jonboywalton75

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2024, 07:15:18 pm »
I use my slx 18 for 2 years
Buy a new one
Sell old one for around £150 on eBay 🤣

AuRavelling79

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2024, 06:57:57 am »
I use my slx 18 for 2 years
Buy a new one
Sell old one for around £150 on eBay 🤣

Now you know how to get three years out of it.  ;D

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2024, 01:18:37 am »
My dad works 5 days a week and he’s still on the same pole, we did a video which is on YT. over 10 years old the video lol.

Spruce

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2024, 07:50:42 am »
My dad works 5 days a week and he’s still on the same pole, we did a video which is on YT. over 10 years old the video lol.

I'm sure your Dad used Simoniz clear engine lacquer. I can remember the video of your Dad working outside, but I can't find it.

I have used it before but haven't been able to find a supplier.

I sprayed my pole with Hycote clear engine lacquer. It seems to be working ok, but it took at least a week to fully harden.

I will probably try VHT engine enamel from Frost next time.

Spruce

AuRavelling79