dazmond

Re: New Round
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2023, 03:43:57 pm »
I just don’t think it’s helping anyone - basically handing over a step by step guide to your competition on how to set up a business that could potentially impact your business.
This guy could start out a one man band , then turn into a multi van set up and ruin an area . One or two employees down the line leave and set up themselves, it’s never ending.
How would you guys feel if you help set someone up and the next thing because you didn’t realise this guy actually lives in your area is knocking on your customers doors and undercutting you?

It simply doesn't happen mate!your being insecure and paranoid my friend!

If your running your business in an efficient and timely manner and charging a fair price you WILL NOT LOSE VAST AMOUNTS OF WORK TO ANYONE!!

it's all in your mind!

Of course you will , it happened to me last year . I’m probably not as cheap as you though

It's never happened in 31 years of window cleaning

You must of not been providing a good service then.

Of course I've lost the odd job here and there because of price but not handfuls  of jobs.

Customers just don't jump ship in their droves for some other guy they dont know!
price higher/work harder!

Shrek

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2023, 03:48:58 pm »
I just don’t think it’s helping anyone - basically handing over a step by step guide to your competition on how to set up a business that could potentially impact your business.
This guy could start out a one man band , then turn into a multi van set up and ruin an area . One or two employees down the line leave and set up themselves, it’s never ending.
How would you guys feel if you help set someone up and the next thing because you didn’t realise this guy actually lives in your area is knocking on your customers doors and undercutting you?

It simply doesn't happen mate!your being insecure and paranoid my friend!

If your running your business in an efficient and timely manner and charging a fair price you WILL NOT LOSE VAST AMOUNTS OF WORK TO ANYONE!!

it's all in your mind!

Of course you will , it happened to me last year . I’m probably not as cheap as you though

It's never happened in 31 years of window cleaning

You must of not been providing a good service then.

Of course I've lost the odd job here and there because of price but not handfuls  of jobs.

Customers just don't jump ship in their droves for some other guy they dont know!

Sure they don’t , if someone is paying £22 to one person and someone else comes along and says they do it for £15 , there’s a good chance they are going to jump ship. Times have changed daz, customers aren’t as loyal as they used to be with the COL going up. Just because you haven’t experienced it , doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.

dazmond

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2023, 04:03:53 pm »
So how many jobs did you lose?I bet it wasn't the whole street.yes the odd job maybe  but it has zero impact on your overall earnings in the long run as there's always another new job round the corner
price higher/work harder!

Shrek

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2023, 04:15:25 pm »
This new guy was actually following window cleaners round and knocking on doors after they’d been cleaned , undercutting us so he could set up another 2 vans. I lost maybe 5 jobs a month for around 6 months . I bumped into one of my ex customers in tescos and got chatting to him again and he told me he cancelled me because someone knocked and offered to do the job cheaper. It was only found out when he started following another window cleaner who had actually got loyal customers and a few rang him whilst he was down the street and said this guy is knocking on your customers houses saying he can clean cheaper. Said window cleaner drove back down the street and had words and the guy got in his van and did one. There are some scummy people around daz who will try and swipe your work from under your nose . Instead of creating new work, they’ll undercut you instead , I’m talking from experience here

Splash & dash

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2023, 06:01:12 pm »
This new guy was actually following window cleaners round and knocking on doors after they’d been cleaned , undercutting us so he could set up another 2 vans. I lost maybe 5 jobs a month for around 6 months . I bumped into one of my ex customers in tescos and got chatting to him again and he told me he cancelled me because someone knocked and offered to do the job cheaper. It was only found out when he started following another window cleaner who had actually got loyal customers and a few rang him whilst he was down the street and said this guy is knocking on your customers houses saying he can clean cheaper. Said window cleaner drove back down the street and had words and the guy got in his van and did one. There are some scummy people around daz who will try and swipe your work from under your nose . Instead of creating new work, they’ll undercut you instead , I’m talking from experience here

Anyone that goes round undercutting is not going to run a successful business probably go bust within 6 months , especially if he has staff . I have had ones try undercutting us but only ever lost the odd one 99% are very loyal down hear and have a strong distrust of strangers , never found it to be a problem you loose a few you always pick up replacements.

PHILIP HARDY

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2023, 07:05:57 pm »
I have lost two customers in 15 years due to undercutters, (Neither of those were to Daz ;D) I have just run George for the year-end figures and we have again had in increase in gross takings and number of customers, which makes that 15-15 years growth.
If you do the job right, you have little to fear from the competition.
The Stupid Neither Forgive Nor Forget
The Naive Forgive And Forget
The Wise Forgive But Don't Forget

Shrek

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2023, 07:50:33 pm »
I have lost two customers in 15 years due to undercutters, (Neither of those were to Daz ;D) I have just run George for the year-end figures and we have again had in increase in gross takings and number of customers, which makes that 15-15 years growth.

Yeah my butcher said that too just before our local tescos opened. He closed down due to tescos being cheaper

Bobbert

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2023, 09:58:29 pm »
Where are you based?

Here in Essex it’s absolutely saturated. Pages and pages of window cleaning business’s on Google search.
Hello
I’m new to this. I’m thinking of going into window cleaning. What would you experienced guys recommend as the best way to get up and running:
Getting customers? (Adverts, Door knocking ???)
Equipment at min cost?
Your advice appreciated.
I’m in Warwickshire.
Appreciate all your views!
Thanks.
Have a great Christmas and a Healthy, Happy & Prosperous New Year!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2023, 10:06:51 pm »

Yeah my butcher said that too just before our local tescos opened. He closed down due to tescos being cheaper

I've got a lot of time for you Shrek, however a multi van operator moving in to your area and craftily undercutting to nick customers is far different from one man looking to make a living.

I wish I could get a few customers poached to be honest. It would save me some awkward conversations as I prune the less lucrative accounts.

;D
It's a game of three halves!

Smudger

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2023, 11:05:38 pm »
Price wouldn’t have been the only factor - convenience would factor highly - I only use our village butcher as the quality is outstanding and parking is easy

I find customers very loyal - both mine when fending off others and when canvassing those already with windy were interested in getting a service from me (I don’t push it if they have a windy)

I wouldn’t worry to much about staff leaving as setting up - recently had a pair do this - they lasted 2 months on their own now back as a security guard and cook in burger bar 👍

We underestimate our own skills running a window cleaning biz

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

zesty

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2023, 07:45:15 am »
Price wouldn’t have been the only factor - convenience would factor highly - I only use our village butcher as the quality is outstanding and parking is easy

I find customers very loyal - both mine when fending off others and when canvassing those already with windy were interested in getting a service from me (I don’t push it if they have a windy)

I wouldn’t worry to much about staff leaving as setting up - recently had a pair do this - they lasted 2 months on their own now back as a security guard and cook in burger bar 👍

We underestimate our own skills running a window cleaning biz

It would be interesting to see how busy you’d be here in Essex Darran, being where you are probably helps a fair bit.

I’ve noticed a slow down in enquiries from in the last 5 years. I used to be one of only 5 to 10 window cleaning companies ranking on Google. I’m now one of almost countless.

With several paying big sums to advertise with Google for all areas, windows, gutters etc etc.

I tried Google ads for a bit, I learnt I needed a budget of not far off £1000 a month to compete with some of them. I got a few enquiries but it not enough to cover that Google bill.

It’s very very competitive around here, there is absolutely no way I’d start up now. I just can’t see how you’d build a round that’s making money.

Up in Norfolk it’s defo less competitive.

I’ve knocked on doors recently (something I did many years ago to start my round) and I’ve been really suprised how many people already have a window cleaner now. Some charging pittance.

It’s really changed round here, to be quite honest window cleaning was a cash cow when I first started back in 2008. When I first got an online presence, the work was literally falling into my lap. Things have changed.

My biggest competitor back when I started was absolutely smashing it, they then sold the business as the work just wasn’t coming in as often and other newer window cleaners were undercutting etc. the new owners lasted 4 years now they’re gone.

It’s a battle now. A battle for work.

I’m doing great because I’ve got an established round, however I’m not happy at the lack of leads. I always strive for growth each year and it’s slowed down last two years big time.

I’ve quoted 4 commercial jobs this year, and got none of them. After following up on them, the answer is the same, someone else is doing it much cheaper. - this just never happened 10 years ago.

deeege

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2023, 08:08:40 am »
Good luck. I’d hate to be starting out these days, no chance I’d have the drive and desire  to make a success of it tbh.

That's only because you ve been at it for years.as a 22 year old newbie I had a lot of drive and determination to make it work.

Thought you were a washed up alkie scraping by when you were 22 Daz? That’s what you’ve always said on here anyway.

The £500 a day brigade bragging all over here and FB have made it near on impossible for new starters these days. Doesn’t bother me as I have no intentions to grow beyond what I have now, but as I said, I’d hate to be starting out in todays climate.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Shrek

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2023, 08:43:50 am »

I've got a lot of time for you Shrek, however a multi van operator moving in to your area and craftily undercutting to nick customers is far different from one man looking to make a living.

I wish I could get a few customers poached to be honest. It would save me some awkward conversations as I prune the less lucrative accounts.

;D

I too for you Gold , I’m just saying don’t underestimate what can happen after helping set up your competition… that’s all . The guy near me started as a single operator then expanded very quickly to him and 3 others by undercutting a lot of people. My books are full and iv got a good reputation with more work coming in than I was losing , however it could’ve been a very different story 🙌

Smudger

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2023, 11:14:34 am »
I’m going to be big headed here - I’d be doing just as well  or better

Yes maybe more window lickers but so much more business to be had - I look back at my home town of Watford and just mind boggles at the opportunities - far less out here in the sticks
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2023, 11:45:43 am »

;D

I too for you Gold , I’m just saying don’t underestimate what can happen after helping set up your competition… that’s all . The guy near me started as a single operator then expanded very quickly to him and 3 others by undercutting a lot of people. My books are full and iv got a good reputation with more work coming in than I was losing , however it could’ve been a very different story 🙌

I can tell you similar...

Guy I helped - went to the auction to help him choose a van. He peaked at about four vans and I lost one or two customers.

But do you know what? He's a bit 'off' and not liked by his employees/subbies and it comes across in his dealings with customers.

To keep the vans and business afloat he takes on other revenue streams and he isn't very good at managing expectations firmly but politely.

He is now down to three vans, two of which sit on his drive much of the day time because he can't get and keep decent staff.

Meanwhile other self employed shiners take on his disgruntled customers.

Myself and a couple of others continue to row our boats keeping good customers who don't like a new face at the house too often and who want reliable and conscientious service.

Mind you, I don't or never had swathes of estate work or the type of commercial that want cheap over quality.

Wear a uniform, have a tidy van and be polite, reliable and fair and you'll be pretty immune to the blandishments of the new kid on the block.

Like you said - your books are full and you have a good reputation. That is not luck; that is because (amazingly ;D) people trust and like you.
It's a game of three halves!

zesty

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2023, 01:45:00 pm »
I’m going to be big headed here - I’d be doing just as well  or better

Yes maybe more window lickers but so much more business to be had - I look back at my home town of Watford and just mind boggles at the opportunities - far less out here in the sticks

Possibly, but it’s hard to say, there ends up being less opportunities with more competition…

Phil J

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2023, 02:08:49 pm »
Buying a round is the quickest and easiest way to get up and running

Smudger

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2023, 02:32:24 pm »
Buying a round is the quickest and easiest way to get up and running
But It’s a big outlay - you don’t really know what your getting - people have tried to flog me their round and tbh they are poor - both in work quality and pricing.

A newbie should be enthusiastic enough to canvas - you get customer interaction and learn the skill of pricing as well as cleaning - best of all it’s FREE

DJW

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2023, 04:49:12 pm »
I had the luxury of being in a well paid job when I started out. On shift work so could do both jobs. You’d need money to fall back on when starting a business or buy an established round.

windowswashed

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2023, 06:45:43 pm »
The worst undercutters are those trying to employ others and charging peanuts to find the work for their employees. It actually works out quite good as six months later I get asked to do them owing to rubbish cleans but I only take them on at my price, not their rubbish price, hence why they do a rush job.