Smudger

Re: Do you have any health issues that effect your work?
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2024, 09:52:19 pm »
diabetic for 22 years - always a bit over weight (15 st ) 5'8" - one hot summer just gasping for drink and I couldn't walk up 3 steps without collapsing - went to Docs blood sugar 38 !!!

over the years had a few kidney stones - the usual pin head size that you can pass etc..
then 5 years ago I collapsed - constant sickness - back pains - turns out I was cultivating a stone 20mm in diameter - 3 ops to disperse it my weight over the years had crept unto 17 stone - due to illness (ie anything I ate came back up) I dropped to just under 14 st - blood sugars usually were 8 to 10 but also dropped to 6 - the long term bloods showed almost no high sugar - stopped the meds and blood sugar remained normal.

3 weeks after the last op (over 6 month period) kidney function just dropped like a lead balloon down to 15% working
then came Covid/lockdowns and boredom and the weight went up and so did the need for meds.

I'm on insulin as this is the best blend to go with dialysis and this lot.....

this is 3 weeks worth - at the last count I take 36 various tablets a day  ;D

(obviously splash probably takes over 50 !  ;) )
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Splash & dash

« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2024, 10:06:06 pm »
diabetic for 22 years - always a bit over weight (15 st ) 5'8" - one hot summer just gasping for drink and I couldn't walk up 3 steps without collapsing - went to Docs blood sugar 38 !!!

over the years had a few kidney stones - the usual pin head size that you can pass etc..
then 5 years ago I collapsed - constant sickness - back pains - turns out I was cultivating a stone 20mm in diameter - 3 ops to disperse it my weight over the years had crept unto 17 stone - due to illness (ie anything I ate came back up) I dropped to just under 14 st - blood sugars usually were 8 to 10 but also dropped to 6 - the long term bloods showed almost no high sugar - stopped the meds and blood sugar remained normal.

3 weeks after the last op (over 6 month period) kidney function just dropped like a lead balloon down to 15% working
then came Covid/lockdowns and boredom and the weight went up and so did the need for meds.

I'm on insulin as this is the best blend to go with dialysis and this lot.....

this is 3 weeks worth - at the last count I take 36 various tablets a day  ;D

(obviously splash probably takes over 50 !  ;) )

Can’t and don’t want to compete with that .
On a serious note I wish you all the best and hope that things level out for you and that you improve in your health it must be difficult living with the things you are .

Smudger

« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2024, 10:59:44 pm »
ive always been difficult to live with.....

just waiting for a kidney to turn up - maybe a window cleaner that hasn't bolted his tank down may come to the rescue  :-\
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

DJW

« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2024, 08:14:07 am »
If you ate a healthy breakfast, went to the gym and played the drums, none of that would have happened.

Spruce

« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2024, 08:44:29 am »
If you ate a healthy breakfast, went to the gym and played the drums, none of that would have happened.

Shall we ask Daz what he terms a healthy breakfast.  ;D

Seriously, though, the trouble is that once we are diagnosed pre-diabetic or diabetic, we have to change our diet if we want to keep our blood sugars under control. I'm on a keto diet, which has worked for me till now. But I can understand how people feel when they can't eat carbs and all those sweet cakes and snacks we love so much.

I just take 2 tablets with my evening meal, Metformin and Sitagliptin. Occasionally, I will add a Berberine capsule in the morning. This has bought my HbA1c down from 96 to 53 in 3 months.

This whole lot is now on hold as I have been diagnosed with prostate cancer. But I'm keeping to the keto diet as much as possible.

Sometimes I think I'm badly off, but when compared to Darran's health, I'm not.

I'm also trying to lose weight. The older you get, the harder that becomes.

YouTube is full of doctors and consultants who have conflicting ideas on how to control diabetes, all quoting various studies to back up their findings.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Smudger

« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2024, 09:49:02 am »
My health is pretty cr@p

But there are people a lot worse off than me

NBwcs

« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2024, 11:37:10 am »
Smudger/Spruce, sorry to hear about your health, your both having to deal with alot. Indeed haven't read the whole thread so empathy to everyone else struggling too. Makes you think when you hear of others health problems how  minor your own are. Take care lads.

zesty

« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2024, 12:43:32 pm »
My health is pretty cr@p

But there are people a lot worse off than me

I’m impressed you can run a business with all that going on, fair play Darran. Most people would give up work.

Missing Link

« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2024, 02:03:25 pm »

It's probably more healthy to miss breakfast.  Remember when we were told that breakfast was 'the most important meal of the day'?

Turns out that's nonsense, not backed up by science, and pushed by cereal producers.
Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am

zesty

« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2024, 02:05:00 pm »

It's probably more healthy to miss breakfast.  Remember when we were told that breakfast was 'the most important meal of the day'?

Turns out that's nonsense, not backed up by science, and pushed by cereal producers.

Yep! It’s far more beneficial to intermittent fast.

Missing Link

« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2024, 02:07:05 pm »
Seriously, though, the trouble is that once we are diagnosed pre-diabetic or diabetic, we have to change our diet if we want to keep our blood sugars under control. I'm on a keto diet, which has worked for me till now.

We've done keto, but we prefer low carb.

We're on it again now.  Wor Lass finds it the best way to lose weight (she's not overweight, but likes to get shredded before a long ultra marathon).

She's got a 200 mile race lined up; the lighter she is, the more chance she'll have of completing it.

So she trains fasted and low carb; it' improves the fat-burning metabolic pathways, meaning she needs less carbs (sugar) when she's racing too.  Fat (which includes body fat) is a cleaner source of fuel for the body, so less inflammation and easier on the stomach.

zesty

« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2024, 04:41:08 pm »
High fat low carb is the way to go.

Sugar is the enemy, not fat.

dazmond

« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2024, 08:09:33 am »
High fat low carb is the way to go.

Sugar is the enemy, not fat.

I don't like any of the fad diets.....whether it's keto,HFLC etc.its just unsustainable in today's world and leads to bingeing on the foods your trying to stay away from....

When I'm dieting I give myself say 12 weeks to lose a bit of weight.i already know my maintenance calories as I track my food every day.i drop a few hundred calories a day,weigh myself once a week and adjust as I go.

I keep chocolate,crisps,cakes,pizza,etc to an absolute minimum(maybe once or twice a week).I just don't buy the junk on my weekly food shop...

I also skip breakfast some days but thats only so I can eat later into the day(usually at weekends).

My maintenance calories are fairly high(around 3200kcal at present)so I just eat below this.some days I'll eat more especially if I'm sleep deprived and done a hard session in the gym but i subtract that from my next days calories.

As long as I'm in a deficit overall over the course of a week I'll lose weight.this is the best way of dieting for me as its flexible and is as painless as possible.

price higher/work harder!

Missing Link

« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2024, 01:04:24 pm »

I don't like any of the fad diets.....

Low carb isn't a 'fad'.  Before they could make synthetic insulin, low carb was the way they treated diabetics.

Your grandparents ate a lot more fat and less sugar than people do now too.

There's a shed-load of science that says it's a great way to eat for many people (particularly chubby types).

It's great for endurance athletes too.

dazmond

« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2024, 02:49:59 pm »

I don't like any of the fad diets.....

Low carb isn't a 'fad'.  Before they could make synthetic insulin, low carb was the way they treated diabetics.

Your grandparents ate a lot more fat and less sugar than people do now too.

There's a shed-load of science that says it's a great way to eat for many people (particularly chubby types).

It's great for endurance athletes too.

But it's miserable....

Bread,noodles,rice,potatoes,pasta taste GOOD!!!😄👍

I'm having homemade chilli con carne with thick cut oven chips sprinkled with grated mature cheese tonight....I'll still lose weight this week but ill enjoy my food a lot more than eating low carb.

dazmond

« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2024, 02:58:45 pm »
as a bodybuilder I don't believe in low carb diets,no pump in the gym and crap recovery.my muscles need glycogen!

tlwcs

« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2024, 03:42:53 pm »
as a bodybuilder I don't believe in low carb diets,no pump in the gym and crap recovery.my muscles need glycogen!

How do you know your maintenance calories?

DJW

« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2024, 03:56:17 pm »
Never been on a diet in my life. I eat food mostly,, been ok so far.

Don Kee

« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2024, 03:57:14 pm »
as a bodybuilder

You are the gift that keeps on giving  ;D

zesty

« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2024, 04:24:03 pm »
I eat carbs, but low compared to most people, it’s defo not a chore for me.

I feel so much better on a lower carb diet and almost no sugar.

My mate is full carnivore, now on his second year, he’s never been leaner, fitter, stronger in his life and he’s tried all sorts of diets. His energy is through the roof. His concentration. His fitness level, everything is better. His muscle mass is bigger. Protein builds muscle. Once you’re fat adapted, you don’t need carbs or sugar. Your body makes glucose.

The same can be found in almost everyone who goes carnivore.

I couldn’t do it because I love my food too much, but I can absolutely see how it benefits people. The huge amount if incredible testimony’s is very telling.

Just look at Jordan Peterson and his family. Absolutely amazing transformation!

Carbs taste great, hence I eat them, but there ain’t no ‘essential’ carb. We simply don’t need them. We eat eat too much of the stuff in modern day western society.