Don Atkinson

Using a carpet wand on a 3pcs suite?
« on: April 05, 2005, 05:22:38 pm »
Hi, has anyone tried using a carpet wand to clean a suite, if so what drying times can you achieve and are the results the same or worse than using a hand tool.
I know that the arms need to be cleaned with a hand tool to get round the curve. Do you bother with the sides of the cushions, top edge etc?
At chem dry we used to wand staircases with no problems at all, although we couldnt get the down step.

don

Ian Rochester

Re: Using a carpet wand on a 3pcs suite?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 05:27:58 pm »
No, never tried it, the very thought of it is causing me to break out in a cold sweat, why would you ever want to try it?

I'm sure someone out there will have tried it, with amazing results!!

Phil Marlor

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 05:32:36 pm »

Wind up!!

Phil
Stevenage, Herts

LUTON TOWN 3-0 SUNDERLAND

Don Atkinson

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 06:01:37 pm »
Whats with all the shock horror, its not a wind up, I am looking at saving time when cleaning a suites, whats so criminal about that.
If a carpet wand can clean carpets well, whats the diference in that and a suite?

don

Big_Fish

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 06:10:30 pm »
You're having a laugh

Mike Halliday

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 06:13:30 pm »
I remember a Brummie carpet cleaner telling me he used to use a floor wand on nightclub seating, he used to stand on the seating and work backwards as if he was cleaning carpets.

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Karl Wildey

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 06:16:07 pm »
Bit late for april fool ain't you.

The thing that you should ask is why one is called a CARPET wand and the other an UPHOLSTERY tool. This is so the slow minded carpet cleaners that we all are, don't have to think too hard.

Don Atkinson

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 06:21:06 pm »
I though these forums were to ask questions without geting ridiculed. I now wish I had never asked.
Ok then big fish, why are you using a wand to clean carpets and not a hand tool, when you come up with the answer then ask yourself, why cant I use a wand to clean a suite.

Phil Marlor

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 06:29:18 pm »

Its simple, a wand is far too big and cumbersom to clean a suite, how can you get too all the difficult small bits with a wand.

I cant believe I am answering this question.

Phil
Stevenage, Herts

LUTON TOWN 3-0 SUNDERLAND

dave401uk

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005, 06:40:54 pm »
 ::)oh what joy ::)
why oh why do people even bother to ask such questions?

but then of course if you wanted to,you could put it on a patio,get a huge great jet wash,and blow across the lawn,

Get real!!!!!!

Dave

Sh** i just answered it :-[
Its never a pass of the wand,just a master stroke.

Glynn

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2005, 07:01:03 pm »
an rx20's better ;D
Regards
Glynn

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2005, 07:02:34 pm »
Arrived to clean 3pc once and customer was stood on sofa base using upright Dyson............wish i had that picture  :o

jcbdfa

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2005, 07:05:02 pm »
i usually dont use the jet facility on an upholstery tool as i think it wets too much. god only knows how wet a carpet wand would leave it!!! most upholstery has no pile/thickness and takes no wetting at all.(unless you want to clean the filling)

Martin S

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2005, 07:15:35 pm »
How about one of those big 'ride on' industrial Scrubber/Cleaning machines?

Saw someone demonstrating one at the cleaning show, and funnily enough, at the time, I thought to myself, I wonder if that would cut down the cleaning time on a 3-piece suite.  ;D

:) Sorry Don, only joking, it's gone far enough.

Regards.

Martin
Martin

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2005, 07:25:46 pm »
I noticed the stand with ride on machines but never got past staring at 2 amazons in cowboy hats and denim skirts  :P

paulchambers

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2005, 07:47:06 pm »
Wont the customer mind you walking on her sofa.   Paul

Martin S

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2005, 07:51:24 pm »
Chris,

I did refer to 'Scrubber'/Cleaning machines.

Just thought of another 'add on'.............................................................When finished 'wanding' down the Sofa Cushions, you could add some Turtle Wax shampoo and go and clean the Customers Car with the Cusion for another Fiver!!  ;D
Martin

Don Atkinson

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2005, 08:00:55 pm »
Wont the customer mind you walking on her sofa.   Paul

You always get one dont you ::)
Paul, to walk on someones sofa is utter madness, what I was sugesting was remove base and back cushions, lay them out on the carpet then wand them as if you were wanding a carpet doing both sides, once cushions are cleaned put them in front of a drier, then wand the suite frame, back sides and front, then finish off details with hand tool, arms, fringe, sides of cushions etc.

Your quite welcome to walk on clients suites Paul, just dont expect a repeat client!! ;D

don

ian richards

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2005, 08:36:47 pm »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

This is better than watching Fools and Horses ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D D
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

david_m

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2005, 09:03:37 pm »
some times what i do if a suite is quite dirty
is use my little oreck rotatery machine to brush in
the pre spray, this i find speeds up cleaning plus you
dont have to use as much water
works really well on dirty draylon suites

davy

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2005, 09:27:35 pm »
The structure of upholstery fabric is totally different to carpets. With conventional tooling, a carpet wand would deliver far too much much water and have a poor vacuum slot/surface interface. Result=overwetting/underdrying.  A typical upholstery tool could be used on carpets but, because of the low water delivery, many passes would need to be made to make an effective rinse.

But we all knew that didn't we ???

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

dave401uk

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2005, 10:32:54 pm »
argh, yes but at least "fools and horses" is real,isnt it? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dave
Its never a pass of the wand,just a master stroke.

Pureandclean

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2005, 10:40:46 pm »
Can you use the wand for cleaning curtains as well then ?

::) Blessings  ::)

Graeme

ian richards

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2005, 11:04:27 pm »

Actually, my work shirts need a clean, maybe i could do them on my job tomorrow, while standing on the upholstery  singing i'm a yankee doodle dandy :D

paulchambers

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2005, 11:10:49 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Don Atkinson

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2005, 12:40:32 am »
Ken, I fully understand what you are saying, but if the cushions were tied together on the floor with Velcro then wanded as if you were cleaning a carpet, I personally don't think you would see any noticeable difference, to prevent over wetting the fabric the flow could be adjusted and extra vac strokes to compensate.
I know a lot of people have taken the P out of this question, but in this industry people need to progress and find quicker and more efficient ways of working in order to stay profitable.
I have cleaned the seats and roof lining in Ford Mondeo using a wand and got very good results and saved loads of time.

I noticed someone mentioned curtain cleaning and Im by no means suggesting you do this for a second, but If you had a lounge carpet to clean why not take down the curtains and put the furthest curtain hooks through both casters on the front of the largest sofa. Hold the other end with your foot and wand it just like wanding a carpet, granted this method doesn't look as professional as cleaning them as they hang, but gets the same if not better results not to mention the time saved.

don

paul@scc

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2005, 12:51:05 am »
You lot do your suites the hard way me i take a knife undo all the staples take the fabric off dump in the washer at a 40c no hotter it shinks the in the tumble dryer bit of a iron then staple it back on and charge them £70 easy way

ps can i use the wand on my daughters dolls house suite

Don Atkinson

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2005, 01:01:55 am »
You lot do your suites the hard way me i take a knife undo all the staples take the fabric off dump in the washer at a 40c no hotter it shinks the in the tumble dryer bit of a iron then staple it back on and charge them £70 easy way

ps can i use the wand on my daughters dolls house suite

New Starters,

Ask a sensible question and this is the sort of response you get ::)

Ian Rochester

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2005, 06:33:52 am »
He's serious isn't he, this is the man that admits he took a bath in someones house whilst they were out and he was supposed to be cleaning there carpets for Chemdry

Don, if you really believe you can clean a suite with a 12" carpet wand, I would think seriously about going back to selling sex toys or roasted chestnuts (re: what did you do before becoming a cc)

Derek

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2005, 07:04:31 am »
Members of the public have access to this site...I dread to think what their perception is of us.

I despair!!!

Derek

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2005, 08:04:25 am »
I have tried using a carpet wand on stairs and find it very difficult.

Never thought about it on a suite.

It could work for Cushions if you layed them out on a dust sheet

But I do not think the customer would be impressed. And the industry standards guys will be branding you as cowboy splash and dash etc.

But why not try the method on your own suite and report back.

paul@ctcs

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2005, 10:50:51 am »
IMO it would be far easier and quicker to clean suites with a hand tool, surely with a wand it would only prove to be very tricky???

Paul

Karl Wildey

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2005, 11:49:17 am »
Come on guys, give Don a break, its not his fault, its his training.
At Chem dry they cleaned stairs with a wand, and take a bath when custard was out. (Don quotes)
Sorry Don but you are looking for a short cut to cleaning. There are no short cuts, if you want to do the job properly, and if you wish to make more money, charge more.

Dennis

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2005, 12:44:56 pm »
At Chem dry they cleaned stairs with a wand, and take a bath when custard was out (Don quotes)

He might have done, but I didn't!  :o

Unless I missed that bit of training.  ;D

paul@scc

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2005, 01:02:37 pm »
Sure you wernt asleep in the customers bed when they were showing stair cleaning with wands

Gavin Reardon

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2005, 01:16:51 pm »
Don

As your in to your sex toys this is the best way I can think of answering this.

some women say its not the size of your tool   ::) its what you do with it!  ;)

I.E yes the wand might be 12 " :o but does it do a better job than the 6"  8) and would the women be as satified  :P

Regards Gavin
Gavin Reardon IICRC / NCCA

www.ace-cleaning.co.uk

Big_Fish

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2005, 02:56:39 pm »
Ok then:

You asked me the question why we use a wand to clean carpet?
If you really need this answered then it's even more pathetic than I thought. If you don't know, I'm not telling you.

Why do we clean upholstery using a professional upholstery tool?
Because we provide a professional carpet & upholstery cleaning service with stacks of referals and recommendadtions.

Why any of us are bothering with this I don't know ::)

Nicky

Chris Bailey

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2005, 05:35:53 pm »
Hi Don

Laughed a bit at some of the replies, HOWEVER!!!!!  I cleaned a sofa today........

Not with a 'carpet wand', i used an upholstery tool to rinse then used my recently aquired (from solutions) stair tool for dry passes only, sofa was dry in an hour!!!!!!!

Chris
Carpet Care

Leicester

gwrightson

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2005, 05:47:46 pm »
Don was only asking a question, and proberbly only  been imaginative .
 I doubt for 1 minute Don would use a carpet wand .he was mearly fishing for responses, ..... and the responses he got were i feel, just plain p..s taking .
  infact some of the replys regarding over wetting where not really justified,
in theory however the use of a cfr wand would illiminate this problem ;D ;D,
 in practise who knows????  good luck Don ;)
 now i wait from the response from all of those who know better :P
 geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2005, 05:59:55 pm »
To extend my previous post, if you reduced the water flow to an acceptable level in order to clean upholstery fabric with a floor wand, the chances are that the jet fan would reduce thereby leaving streaks and uneven wetting on an upholstery fabric. Add to this that a floor tool can become scratched or even worse "nicked" on the vacuum lips. A high risk of catching or snagging threads. Also, by the time you've assembled your cushions, velcro'd them together then cleaned with a wand, disassembled, attached an upholstery tool to clean the sides, back, and front, cleaned the piping/ruche etc. etc. then you may not have saved much time.  If you clean the upholstery correctly, all the work is done with the preparation and the HWE is just a simple rinse. The best route to go in Don's scenario is to use a CFR 5 or 7" attachment to their excellent upholstery tool.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Glynn

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2005, 09:18:43 pm »
takes some getting used to...
Regards
Glynn

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2005, 10:33:53 pm »
Acording to Don Chem Dry use HWE to clean curtains.

I just do not know how he had the nearve to take a bath in a customers house.

I have never fealt this about anyone on The Forumn before eith the exeption of Jason.

I just do not want to know Don.

garyj

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2005, 11:51:50 pm »
By far the quickest way to clean a suite is to tie the item to your roof rack and go through a car wash. Make sure the item is very well secured as it does get buffeted about quite a bit. I find using this method its best to go for the top wash with the conditioner option. Sofa is dry in less than 1 week.

Don Atkinson

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2005, 12:39:47 am »
Might as well join in with this farse.

Just take the bl00dy thing down the river chuck it in, then go fishing for it a week later, the flowing current should have removed all the crap, when you get home hang the cushions on the washing line, strap the wife to the frame and mount to top of the car and go for a brisk drive at aproximately 130 mph to dry it off, wife can shout down through sun roof when suite is dry, "You can slow down now luv ive just had a feel and is just moist".

paul@scc

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2005, 01:05:56 am »
i have the perfect way to use a carpet wand on your suite i just tried and tested works fine nip down to the nearest building site with the sofa and chuck it in the way of a steam roller and hey presto flat so you can use your wand no problems

Doug Holloway

« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2005, 12:46:24 pm »
Hi,

I've deleted the last message as it was smutty and have also locked this topic before it gets any sillier.

Cheers,

Doug