Bryan H

Power Tripped
« on: September 10, 2004, 04:54:32 pm »
Hi folks,

Anyone know of any device that can be used to prevent tripping of the electrics: especially on commercial.

Happened to me again this week when running internal heater as well as m/c on Ninja.  Managed to find the box & reset before anyone noticed.  In the past I have managed to shut down whole floor loads of computers;  I was not too popular.!

Who else has this problem?   Nothing wrong with my electrics by the way!

Any suggestions ?   -   other than buying a Truckmount.

Bryan
Christal Clean - Berks

stevegunn

Re: Power Tripped
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 05:37:19 pm »

John_McGavin

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 05:42:06 pm »
Hi Bryan, sorry but I dont think there is anything you can buy to stop this from happening. Its happening for a reason - you are drawing too much power through the socket.

Easy remedy, use 2 separate sockets if possible, one for machine & one for heater. Domestics - Kitchen has a better supply so try and use that. Commercial im not too sure about but again just try and use separate sockets.

On the same note have you found that newer houses seem to trip more often than older ones? Just something ive noticed.

John
John, Falkirk, Scotland

Bryan H

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 06:16:13 pm »
Yes John,  seems more likely to happen in newer houses, but comm' premises are the real problem because of computers etc:

I often use two separate sockets, but if they are on the same circuit it doesn't help.

Steve,  I don't think normal RCD's will solve the problem, but I stand to be corrected.

Now if all circuits on Comm' premises were colour coded, and we knew which ones to avoid, it would be a great help.

Bryan
Christal Clean - Berks

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 08:32:33 pm »
I can only relate to personal experiences, but surely, if an RCD trips, then something is wrong. Too much power for the circuit or a machine fault. As Bryan rightly points out, it would help if commercial premises had colour coding. I have often connected to an unmarked socket and it's blown because it was less than 13 amps. It's a pain.

I also find that the portable RCD adaptors are less sensitive than those in the mains system. So the porti one will be fine and it's the mains only that trips. Someone once quoted me chapter, verse and mega wotsitts as to why, but it's all Double Dutch to me.

Safe and happy cleaning:)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

woodman

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 09:06:11 pm »
Have you checked the back of the Ninja where cables are located, as water when put into the solution tank can and does spill down the back.It may be that it's getting into the machine via the cables causing it to trip especially if its happening that often.

Also because the power cables are often twisted and turned over a period of time, this cause them break inside the casing, you may need to renew the power cables.

Also ::) when you switch on your Ninja do you flick both vac and pump at the same time? along with the heater in operation  this can cause a power surge resulting in tripping.If so switch the heater on first followed by vac motor,  count to 30 then switch on the pump.

If all of this fails bin it and get a new one ;D

John_Flynn

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 09:38:45 pm »
When did you last have your machine PAT tested??

A friend of mine a Qualified Electrician tells me that lower rate trip switches can be installed in commercial premises!! He says the reason for tripping is a fault maybe on your machine that does not effect older residencial premises, also some of the newer houses maybe fitted with Boxes that should be replaced.
I get better looking each day!!

Len Gribble

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 10:36:40 pm »
Bryan

You did not say pat, so my first recommendation is to get your equipment PAT tested if only for your piece of mind saves on insurance claims.

The commercial office I do have the trap door in the floor all are for computers if you look around or ask customer where are the cleaner’s sockets (normally on the wall they are a high fuse rating have seen some with cleaners only and some are red) don’t plug in to a double these can also trip.

What is your start up procedure? I have found turning the machine on 1 2 3 will blow fuses.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Glynn

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2004, 11:30:52 pm »
For the price of these machines, I would have thought that they would be fitted with soft start units.

Regards

Glynn
Regards
Glynn

conallon

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2004, 11:56:54 pm »
have not tripped any electrics but have blown heater fuse on porty, when i went shopping for some spares was told they are anti surge fuses

regards conrad

Dave Parry

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2004, 12:37:23 am »
Sounds like your drawing too much power. A rcd will not help.
I would get a small box into which I would mount a mcb. this mcb would be of a slightly lower rating than 13 A. This would then trip rather than the main board. If you have two leads then you would need two mcb's. Make sure it is properly made and safe to use. Maybe not a great solution, but should be easy to make and use. You could even put a 13a socket (or 2 individual) on the front.
Bracknell, Berkshire,
Phoenix T/M,
http://www.cleanercarpets.org/index.html

Dynafoam

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2004, 01:58:03 am »
Bryan,

I always use RCDs and they normally only trip when an over-sensitive household RCD decides to play up.

My experience is that partial earth-shorts (often moisture-related) or the surging caused by worn motor brushes will trip a properly-functioning RCD, rater than overall excessive current draw. Incidentally, this latter fault will not cause failure of a PAT.

When an over sensitive RCD is encountered the advice given by woodman can sometimes help.

John.

bob hamilton

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2004, 06:24:25 pm »
I recently did a job in a new house with my ninja. After about 1hour the power tripped. Despite switching off the heater on the ninja and anything else in the house it kept tripping. I explained to the customer that I would need to check the machine and come back. Luckily he was the understanding sort.

Anyway, I went to the next job and everything worked fine for 20 minutes until the pump packed in, so obviously the first house electrics sensed this and kept shutting down.

After telling me what a great favour he was doing for me Martin at ASHBY'S sent me a new pump overnight ("or it might take 2-3 days") and all was well.

Just a thought but when did you you last change your pump.

Cheers
Bob

Doug Holloway

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2004, 06:33:32 pm »
Bob ,

I had a similar experience with one of my vacuum motors which blew up after I sufffered a few 'trip outs'(extracta).

When it did blow up it set off the smoke alarm which was doubly embarrassing :'(

Cheers,

Doug

Bryan H

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2004, 08:28:06 pm »
Thanks chaps,

Almost an 'overload' of information on this one.  I do switch on in sequence with a gap between, and mostly everything is fine. I believe the real problem is just overloading of the circuit with all the electrical equipment offices use today.

I was happily cleaning away in some offices once with no problem till some thirsty soul came & plugged the kettle in.  Bingo!

I was hoping there might be some device I could use which would trip my m/c rather than the circuit.

Dave,  what are those MCD s you mentioned? never heard of them!  they may do the trick.

I really don't think there is much wrong with the Ninja, I have it serviced and checked every 6 months & I've just put two new leads on it.

Bryan
Christal Clean - Berks

Dave Parry

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2004, 02:13:38 am »
Bryan, MCB's are Mini Circuit breakers. They are what you now have in fuse boards (now called mcb boards). Basically they are resettable fuses. Youve probably got them in your house.
Bracknell, Berkshire,
Phoenix T/M,

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2004, 03:00:08 am »
Bryan,

Are you using the H/D vac motors from Ashbys (117123-13 / 5.7 / 240V) if so they trip or blow consumer fuses on a regular basis due to the heavy power draw.

Pete

Bryan H

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2004, 07:00:13 pm »
Thanks Dave,   I'll try & get hold of a couple.

Only got the old fuse wire in my house !

Yes Peter,  I have got the heavy duty vacs, they do give noticably more power though, than the standard 3 stage in my back-up.
Last a hell of a lot longer too!

Bryan
Christal Clean - Berks

Len Gribble

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2004, 11:00:19 pm »
Bryan

To save more money I use Kitchen foil rather and fuse wire they last twice a long ;D

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Dynafoam

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2004, 12:48:22 am »
Len,

A great idea  :D Looks really pretty when they blow     ;D

Len Gribble

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2004, 01:02:16 am »
John

That ant nothing best way to a socket matchstick in earth old trick dad showed me! Gets you out of all sorts of problems ;D ;D

Len

Dave Parry

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2004, 12:16:12 am »
Len, If you find that matchsticks break or bend, try using and old folk, sorry fork, Stainless stell is best. ;D ;D ;D
Bracknell, Berkshire,
Phoenix T/M,

Len Gribble

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2004, 12:27:21 am »
Dave

You only have to see the programme how cleaning is you home old wives tricks! ???

Point taken get the customer to do it, always look for a cheaper option! ;D ;D

Len