Mike Halliday

Do you think.......
« on: May 03, 2017, 05:14:23 pm »
If the market for this machine was carpet cleaners the price would be more than quadruple the £11k  that is its actually cost.....

80 HP 4 cylinder turbo charged diesel engine
2 x 7250 psi pumps each at 25 litre per min
1000 litre water tank
2 x Power Reel with 90 metre high pressure hose
Filling reel with 50 metres of hose
Pulse Jet, 4 drain jets & 2 x wash down hand lance

All this for the same as Prochem Blazer with a lawn mower engine
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Shaun_Ashmore

Re: Do you think.......
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 06:02:29 pm »
Why would you need such a beast? 

Mike Halliday

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 06:13:16 pm »
2 lances..... you could be earning £250/hr on the average drives I clean at £3:50/m

Or just let the machine tick over and use one lance.

But it's the amount of machine you are getting for your money.....  80hp turbo Diesel engines!  how much would you be paying for a truckmount with a comparible  engine?

clive ware

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 08:32:21 pm »
Well I want one and I don`t even clean drives!!

Dennis

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 07:21:34 am »
And a van to put it in.  ;D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 07:45:40 am »
It would fit in an average  van :)

But if transports a problem then for the same £11k you could buy this....... again cheaper than a Prochem blazer. But the point I'm making is why are truck mount so expensive!! I understand the economy of scale but other industries are getting a lot more for thier money than us

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 06:10:22 pm »
I'm assuming that Truckmounts pass through so many hands to get to the end of the sale that theirs a lot of commission also there's a blower to add.

Wish I loved PW

The cleaning is easy but what else does it consist of? Re sand, sealants, repair of blocks, oil removal, re cement joints ??

What have you been asked for? What will you do and won't entertain?

Glynn

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 06:41:57 pm »
Mike,
With respect , do you actually know the earning potential of a Truckmount ?.
Regards
Glynn

maxcampbell

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 06:46:37 pm »
Part of the "added value" for TM's is because they design a compact unit with a small footprint, and minimum weight, which just adds to the maintenance problems - I'd love a spread-out machine that you can get to all the working parts of, like the PW machine in the pics. For the ideal drive-way machine, you would have to add some vac, and blowers aren't cheap (TM still not good VFM compared to that - I take your main point, Mike).

Anyone tried building a TM by bolting individual components together?

elliott cleaning

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 07:00:10 pm »
Glynn beat me to it - I appreciate that I work London and not North Yorkshire but carpet cleaning  fairs positively against your pressure washing pricing.  God help us if our truckmounts took up the room that those PW  appear to take up.
My second point is - even for pressure washing the set ups shown are OTT.  You don't need 80hp in the same way that you reallŷ don't need the HP on some of the top end truckmounts.

Mike's point however is pricing - I agree, truckmounts are overpriced for what they physically are. Having said that they produce a far better return on investment than the portables

Glynn

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 07:26:58 pm »
I agree Frans, but... for instance a Truckmount that costed approx 20k , then four years later the machine has turned over close to 3/4 million and Still has a resale value of say 10k, cant be bad ?.
Or other case scenario., a new car to be used as a taxi costs 20K, turns over a lot less money, yet has a resale value of 5K if your lucky.

To me TM's are Cheap.
Regards
Glynn

elliott cleaning

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 07:51:48 pm »
True in that respect :)

mr muzzy

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 09:20:31 pm »
why would you need that .bit much in it

Mike Halliday

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 07:35:02 am »
Mike,
With respect , do you actually know the earning potential of a Truckmount ?.

Glynn  I know the earning potential, remember I was using a truckmount when you came on the boards with your little extracta machine, telling all the  'vanmount' owners  you could Do just as good a job with your portable as their vanmount ( remember how you thought yourself so funny calling them van mounts ::)roll )  luckily you learnt something in those early Cleantalk days and saw sense.

So truckmounts earn nearly £750,000 in 4 years do they (£187000 a yeahr) ? And they sell for 50% of thier cost after 4 years ? ( not the one I've seen over the last few months)

Maybe truckmount are so expensive compared to compatibles machines in other industries because they sell them to people like you who don't question the price because they earn £187000 a year

But we are getting away from the point the sum of the parts of a truckmount don't add up to the cost of the final machine, maybe it's because  most are imported from the USA so suffer currency fluctuation  but UK.

Another example is QC,£18 a pair for small carpet cleaning equipment  £12 for QC pressure washer which are twice the size

Mike Halliday

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 07:51:13 am »
I'm assuming that Truckmounts pass through so many hands to get to the end of the sale that theirs a lot of commission also there's a blower to add.

Wish I loved PW

The cleaning is easy but what else does it consist of? Re sand, sealants, repair of blocks, oil removal, re cement joints ??

What have you been asked for? What will you do and won't entertain?

Shaun on that first machine it has 2 big pumps, one of them pumps would equal the cost of a blower.

imagine if they fitted a blower to the second pulley on that machine instead of the pump, then fitted a  diesel burner (as in the second machine I posted.) The cost would still be in the £13k range  but it would be one of the most powerful truckmounts available.

If I was in the market for a new truckmount I would seriously contact the company  who made that machine and discuss a truckmount build, they offer on thier website to custom build machines.

maxcampbell

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2017, 07:24:32 pm »
Have you posted a link to the company? I don't get a link if I click on the pic.

I want a reasonable twin lance pressure washer, that could also run a medium pressure spinner on floors, and even low-pressure wand rinsing, and a very moderate vac, just to suck up the flow, puddles (and slurry from time to time). Don't want heat. Good pump-out arrangement, biggish tanks. Would be interesting project to design/build, but I haven't got the time.

elliott cleaning

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2017, 07:52:48 pm »
Search on Brian Nixon Ltd,  Max - that will give you the site

maxcampbell

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2017, 08:01:06 pm »
Cheers.

Jennifer w

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2017, 08:05:42 am »
Surely Glynn meant £187,000 a month?

Nice answer Mike.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2017, 07:10:37 pm »
Glyn may have come to the truck mount Party later than some but he's certainly Mr Truck Mount now and if anyone wants a lesson on how to print money, have a day out with him.

*Hector*

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2017, 07:19:28 pm »
Glyn may have come to the truck mount Party later than some but he's certainly Mr Truck Mount now and if anyone wants a lesson on how to print money, have a day out with him.

Who are you??

there was someone like you on here once upon a time.......

But we heard that he had become fossilised.....

;D
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2017, 07:19:56 pm »
Don't get me wrong, we all have awesome weeks from time to time but £187k a year is £3,600 a week and that's every week of the year without a holiday (closer to 4 grand a week every week if you reward yourself with a bit of holiday time).

With one tm that's a very impressive turnover if that's the case, well done.

Or maybe Glyn went to the same school of mathematics that Diane Abbott went too?  :)

alan lewis

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2017, 09:22:14 pm »
Don't forget, glynn has 2 trucks not one ?

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2017, 09:55:13 pm »
Don't forget, glynn has 2 trucks not one ?

I have no idea how many tm's he has but he was talking about one trunkmounts earning potential in the previous post.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2017, 10:03:04 pm »
You would be surprised how much a tm can earn in a week, if you e got the right sort of work. One thing I can tell you about Glyn, he never lies.

Anthony Parton

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2017, 11:03:18 am »
If the market for this machine was carpet cleaners the price would be more than quadruple the £11k  that is its actually cost.....

80 HP 4 cylinder turbo charged diesel engine
2 x 7250 psi pumps each at 25 litre per min
1000 litre water tank
2 x Power Reel with 90 metre high pressure hose
Filling reel with 50 metres of hose
Pulse Jet, 4 drain jets & 2 x wash down hand lance

All this for the same as Prochem Blazer with a lawn mower engine

Allegedly iPhones cost around £100 to manufacture but Apple still sell them for £600+

Ian Harper

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2017, 06:25:04 am »
Hi Mike

From my view i see that its a market size problem. First with who they can sell to. Then those people who they can sell to.

Its long been my view that given the productivity of a tm prices should be cheaper than guy with portable. Tm do give the wow factor to customers this with good back end marketing might make people clean more.

Why are the usa and uk markets so different?

We really need to grow out uk market then i am sure people selling to us would have more completion and prices would come down for top end gear as more would buy.

I can get my head around how we could have more carpet cleaners in uk and all get paid so we could all run tms?

Hope business is good for you?

Respects Ian

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2017, 08:14:07 pm »

Its long been my view that given the productivity of a tm prices should be cheaper than guy with portable. Tm do give the wow factor to customers this with good back end marketing might make people clean more.

???

That is some bizarre statement Ian. Why the hell would you want to be cheaper just because you can do more?? You should always try and increase your prices.

Ian Harper

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2017, 05:30:49 am »
Sorry not cheap was wrong word.

My point is about productivity and market size.

Market size should bring cheaper equipment for us. But but how do we get to a size where manufacturers want to build for us?

We have to tools to deal with a large market.

Carpet cleaning after many years is still not a thing most people have done why?

Is it price?

Year on year what growth do we see in our market.

My view is we dont sell. We all market to those already in the market for carpet cleaning, and not those that not.

The internet has made us lazy with regards to selling. And we lack to information to use the tools that the internet brings.

Guys go read mumsnet read how people see carpet cleaning. They are so uneducated.