A Foster

oil leaking on pressure washer
« on: July 16, 2012, 05:33:17 pm »
I have a honda gx390 pressure washer.

There are 2 oil caps as in photo, and oil always gradually spits out, especially from the circled one.

I was told that it would settle down, but it hasn't.

It's a complete nuisance as I have to constantly keep watching it and wiping, otherwise it spits oil
onto the surfaces i'm cleaning.

Does anyone know of a cure or the solution to this problem?

Thanks.

A Foster

Re: oil leaking on pressure washer
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 05:36:06 pm »

Matt Gibson

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 06:44:47 pm »
Hi mat,

That looks like the oil fill for the gearbox for the pump. how much oil is in it? Might be over full.

BDCS

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 06:47:53 pm »
Firstly is the oil in the pump emulsified - becoming milky ? Does the pump loose oil ?
The oil in the gearbox sounds like its foaming and as such increasing its volume. What oil does it have in it ? You need a low foaming oil or the oil is too thick. I use the same oil as I use in my enduro bike in both the pump and gearbox - Silkolene gear comp.

mike roberts

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 08:01:15 pm »
One of the Honda lumps I had always seeped oil via gearbox cap (the one you circled) never found out why - didnt effect the performance ... but I am talking just a small amount always fell onto frame so not a prob...

As for solution ....dont turn it on  ;D 

Blast Away

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 08:42:04 pm »
Firstly is the oil in the pump emulsified - becoming milky ? Does the pump loose oil ?
The oil in the gearbox sounds like its foaming and as such increasing its volume. What oil does it have in it ? You need a low foaming oil or the oil is too thick. I use the same oil as I use in my enduro bike in both the pump and gearbox - Silkolene gear comp.

Exactly what one of our has been doing, hadn't put correct oil in. Thought I'd over filled it at first but was level across the dot.

A Foster

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 11:51:52 pm »
Thanks for responses.

Not sure which oil is in it. It was already filled from new.

I'll probably give it an oil change and new filter / plug next week, and try some silkolene comp gear.

Thanks.