Ortsa

Curious

Smudger

Re: How much do you make per hour on average and where are you based?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 07:10:32 pm »
Don't be
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 07:13:07 pm »
Just leads to willy waving

And allow others to post bullying  posts about their rates

If your not happy with what you earn put your prices up

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 07:33:48 pm »
Lots

My house
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Don Kee

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 08:09:11 pm »
£8.50 an hour but I think some of my jobs are due a 50p price rise.

Gringo

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 09:33:43 pm »
What is your hourly rate then ortsa? Seeing as your asking

Gringo

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 11:28:31 am »
Come on ortsa don't be shy, what's your hourly rate then, just curious

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 11:44:17 am »
I must be over pricing because my average hourly rate  works out about 47p

H2GoKent

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2021, 11:57:50 am »
Not sure you'll get honest or helpful replies on a thread like this, it's the equivalent of walking up to a guy in the street and saying, "How much do you earn then?"

Work out your expenses, include every expense, divide then into an hourly cost, then add on what you want/need to earn.

Increase your prices every year by a minimum of enough to keep up with inflation and rising costs and a bit extra, jobs a goodun!
A manager is generally someone who has been promoted to the position by someone else who didn't see them as a threat.
Hence all people are promoted to the level of their incompetence

Gringo

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2021, 02:28:12 pm »
Exactly sparkle the people with the cheek to ask so how much you on/earn are never that keen on telling you what they are on or earning, just like OP, came on with a one word post never to reply

Stoots

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2021, 05:45:45 pm »
Im not speaking for myself but from what ive read etc over the years i reckon £20 - £60 per hour is achieveable on average depending on area and how compact etc. Huge difference if you have an average price of £5 vs £20

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2021, 08:54:39 am »
Curious

My average hourly rate is between £40-£50 an hour.

I'm based in the North West.
price higher/work harder!

Gringo

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2021, 12:48:23 pm »
A few replies there for you ortsa, are you going to let us know your hourly rate and we're you are, many thanks

Rogue Trader

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2021, 12:55:30 pm »
i make about £15 per hour which is more than i earn in a factory so i well chuffed

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2021, 02:12:43 pm »
Enough.
Sorry if you were hoping for information, you'll just have to remain curious  ;)

Gringo

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2021, 04:19:18 pm »
 Certainly a man of few words is old Ortsa a one word post then nothing, he's confirmed my theory though that people who ask about your earnings never talk about there's

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2021, 06:46:23 pm »
sorry didn't want to be provocative, I make about £20 an hour but thinking of making some changes to by business to try and increase this as I have a feeling its below average. thanks all

i used to earn around £20 an hour in my trad days..i used to think it was good money back then...with wfp my expenses are more esp now with having a decent van,diesel  hot water system, electric reel and decent poles...

what i did was when i switched to WFP i automatically put most of my work up a quid or two because i could now clean the frames and doors to a good standard and clean the awkward windows over connys/extensions,etc

i also started accepting the bigger jobs that would be impossible to clean off ladders on my own,also i noticed the bigger jobs i already had when i was trad started taking a lot less time to clean so i was earning considerably more for less time taken on the job.....

coupled with investing in better equipment over the years,compacting my round with newer work at higher prices (and price rises here and there for existing work)has elevated my hourly rate to what it is today.....its took a fair few years though......

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2021, 06:48:57 pm »
It's below average on here that's for sure 😜
Are you taking your average hourly rate doing 30 min jobs for £20 that after travel , setting up and packing away mean you're earning only that for an hour's  work or charging roughly that per hour ?
My best days and hourly rates are runs of terraced town house fronts at a tenner a pop. With enough of those I can see my rate reach £80 - 100 per hour when I'm really going for it.  But it's not sustainable at that pace for me day in day out or realistic as an average. You've room for improvement though and think you recognised that. With the right motivation, organising of your round and pricing you should be able to at least double your hourly rate. In the real world of the window cleaner outside of this forum I think that would be somewhere near the average.

NWH

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2021, 06:52:44 pm »
A good guide is you’re tank size how many litres of water are you using on average a day I don’t mean draining it within an inch of the floor.

zesty

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2021, 06:59:10 pm »
Somewhere around £40 an hour as an average on domestic, but commercial is another story, can be £100-150 an hour for commercial Jobs.

Most window cleaners must be on about £40k a year these days, with an average 6 hour day.

deeege

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2021, 07:33:56 pm »
Somewhere around £40 an hour as an average on domestic, but commercial is another story, can be £100-150 an hour for commercial Jobs.

Most window cleaners must be on about £40k a year these days, with an average 6 hour day.

Id bet there wasn’t a lot of self assessments showing those figures when filed yesterday.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

zesty

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2021, 07:50:29 pm »

Id bet there wasn’t a lot of self assessments showing those figures when filed yesterday.

Hopefully people weren’t filing that late mate!

deeege

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2021, 08:26:15 pm »

I was. Filed at 3pm, paid at 3:30. 9 hours before the deadline, loads of time 😂
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

james peters

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2021, 09:20:35 pm »
silly question and completely  irrelivant,
there will be window cleaners with multi vans working their socks off and struggling , due to having young families and everything on credit
there will be sole traders owning everything , enjoying life , partners with good jobs and thousands in the bank
fortunately im very happy  and wont comment ;D

NWH

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2021, 09:28:12 pm »
silly question and completely  irrelivant,
there will be window cleaners with multi vans working their socks off and struggling , due to having young families and everything on credit
there will be sole traders owning everything , enjoying life , partners with good jobs and thousands in the bank
fortunately im very happy  and wont comment ;D

Good to see you learning James 🤣🤣

zesty

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2021, 10:06:52 pm »

Yikes!

Hope you didn’t have a nasty suprise! Last time I did that, well years and years ago, I could hardly pay the tax bill! I got suprised with the payment on account.

Since then I tend to file not long after April 6th, and keep money back each month to cover the payments in Jan and July.

deeege

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2021, 10:23:59 pm »

Yikes!

Hope you didn’t have a nasty suprise! Last time I did that, well years and years ago, I could hardly pay the tax bill! I got suprised with the payment on account.

Since then I tend to file not long after April 6th, and keep money back each month to cover the payments in Jan and July.

Same thing happened with me yesterday re payment on account. It’s the first time I’ve had to make a payment on account as all previous tax returns I was mainly paid through dividends as was trading LTD.

I’d put plenty aside to cover it though. Will definitely be getting myself better organised and filing soon after April in the future.

P @ F

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2021, 10:46:59 pm »
I didn’t have to pay any tax this year which was nice .
Class 1 and 2 was £400 though  ;D

We survived and got by , my outgoings saved me this time round
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

dazmond

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2021, 08:13:37 am »

You must earn less than minimum wage then.....I dont get it mate?....you ve been window cleaning for many years too...
.☹👎

zesty

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2021, 08:56:34 am »

Yikes!

Same thing happened with me yesterday re payment on account. It’s the first time I’ve had to make a payment on account as all previous tax returns I was mainly paid through dividends as was trading LTD.

I’d put plenty aside to cover it though. Will definitely be getting myself better organised and filing soon after April in the future.

It’s always a shock when you first get to the payments on account threshold, yeah mate, defo makes you more organised with the finances!

zesty

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2021, 08:58:05 am »

Wow rich, guessing you’ve either got a huge amount of tax deductible outgoings, or you just can’t be bothered to clean windows much  ;D

Steve H

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2021, 09:38:47 am »
While we are talking about finances guys, just interested in knowing what your thoughts are on going LTD. 
Im currently a sole trader, but looking to expand, so considering it.
Have any guys out there made the switch and glad they had , or gone back to being a sole trader ?
Not asking about the tax implications as speaking to accountant next week about it, just what people prefer and if its improved your business or just caused you a big headache!
Thanks in advance guys
Steve
If you reach for the stars and only reach the moon, you will have acheived more than you thought you could.

P @ F

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2021, 09:49:59 am »
It’s a bit of both really  !
I’m not feeling the love for windows anymore , this coupled with the heater venture is keeping the profits down more than I would like .
The heaters were ready to go but I had a few issues with mine , all my own doing in the line of experimenting .
One of the other ones out there went on as it should for 12 months trouble free , it has now been serviced by the owner with no parts being needed which is a bonus, it just highlighted the fact that the layout of the machine could be more user friendly to the end user .

Work is under way !
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Smudger

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2021, 11:03:15 am »
While we are talking about finances guys, just interested in knowing what your thoughts are on going LTD. 
Im currently a sole trader, but looking to expand, so considering it.
Have any guys out there made the switch and glad they had , or gone back to being a sole trader ?
Not asking about the tax implications as speaking to accountant next week about it, just what people prefer and if its improved your business or just caused you a big headache!
Thanks in advance guys
Steve

You can quite happily be sole trader even if vat reg or have staff/employees
Main benefit if ltd is if you go bang or get sued then liability is to the company not your personal property

Tax wise - well that's down to how good your accountant is ( and I mean good - someone who will walk you through options etc... not just heck and sign off ) other than the above the tax man get there bit from you and or the ltd company

Darran

Steve H

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2021, 08:24:14 pm »
Thanks for the reply Darran,  do you also think that being Ltd may give you more credibility when it comes to going after those commercial contracts or have people found it hasnt made a difference?
If you reach for the stars and only reach the moon, you will have acheived more than you thought you could.

deeege

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2021, 09:21:29 pm »
Thanks for the reply Darran,  do you also think that being Ltd may give you more credibility when it comes to going after those commercial contracts or have people found it hasnt made a difference?

It makes no difference unless you are going after NHS or local council tenders (one man bands don’t win these contracts anyway) You can still be self employed and trade as a company name.

Splash & dash

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2021, 09:37:59 pm »

It makes no difference unless you are going after NHS or local council tenders (one man bands don’t win these contracts anyway) You can still be self employed and trade as a company name.

Generally contracts like that arnt with doing anyway  we used to tender for  them years ago only ever got a couple and regretted getting them we could easily have earnt more doing domestic work , still get tendering applications come through but theses days they go straight into the shredder 😂😂😂

Smudger

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2021, 10:40:47 pm »
the only thing that has made large commercial more attactive is being VAT - before then I did get commercial works but had more queries as to them wanting a VAT number and not happy I was not VAT

I have won NHS contracts as both LTD and sole trader - the big thing to remember is these contracts are chosen 90% on price 10% on service and value ( altho in reality its all about the £££ )

Darran

NWH

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2021, 11:53:46 pm »
Have you seen the window cleaning on NHS buildings I don’t know who they use most of the time but the last time I was there the place was covered in banana 🍌 skins 🤣🤣🤣,£12.50 an hour monkeys 🐒 everywhere lol it’ll all change one day they’ll want  there windows cleaned properly.

Mike Burd

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2021, 04:20:09 am »
Have you seen the window cleaning on NHS buildings I don’t know who they use most of the time but the last time I was there the place was covered in banana 🍌 skins 🤣🤣🤣,£12.50 an hour monkeys 🐒 everywhere lol it’ll all change one day they’ll want  there windows cleaned properly.
The NHS will never be able to afford hot water.

deeege

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2021, 06:54:06 am »
I used to clean 8  NHS buildings. Had proper money on them and did a proper job, every 8 weeks on them. Was a great contract for the 5 years that it lasted.

Along came Mitie, priced to do the window cleaning along with all the soft FM, waste management, grass cutting etc etc. I was offered the window cleaning back at 1/3 of the price 😁 The buildings look like they havnt been cleaned for the last few years now.

Smudger

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2021, 08:57:58 am »
Aye, when our 3 year contract finished the new bid was less than 1/2 ours - now the windows and glass tunnels look absolute S**t
I think they use wfp attactched to the mains  >:(
Darran

NWH

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2021, 09:23:27 am »
Dreadful they are literally getting stolen from the job they get done on NHS buildings they look like they’ve been cleaned by 8 year olds.