« on: January 28, 2021, 02:09:58 pm »
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

lee_dewing

Re: Help fsg clean/clear
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 02:23:14 pm »
Been asked to clear guttering and clean all fascia soffits and guttering

It’s a regular window cleaning customer
Wife’s really nice 👍
Husband a wealthy retired accountant who sold up his company.

Turns out he’s also an expert in many aspects of my job too

Explained what needed doing and wouldn’t take long

Said I’d send a price in couple of days

I think it’s a full days work 🤔

If you guys don’t want to say prices
Hours to do is just as helpful

I’ll be using Atom for clearing guttering
Think one side will be half full as rear side
Garden side roof has moss

I take too long sometimes on these jobs
But don’t want to be out of pocket 😳

Cleaning fsg will be slx pole and either no nonsense or ubiks

There was bird poo all over soil pipe and wall

But I was assured this wouldn’t take long 🤦‍♂️

Thanks
Lee

Sorry pictures not the best but didn’t want customer seeing me taking snaps 😉

deeege

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 02:39:26 pm »

I think it’s a full days work 🤔

Put your day rate on it then. If he thinks you’re too expensive then he can find someone else who is happy to do it for less.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

KS Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 03:04:23 pm »
As soon as the customer intimated it wouldn’t take long, alarm bells would be ringing. Put in a quote based on how long it will take you multiplied by an hourly rate over and above what you achieve for window cleaning as this will be harder work. Then tell the customer to feel free to obtain other quotes, if someone is cheaper than you, let them do it. Personally I would Price it not to get the job, all these apex’s look like a ballache.

NWH

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 03:16:46 pm »
 I did a house very similar last year probably 2 more dormers for a regular customer took 3 of us less than a day I got 950 for it,there was a little bit more PVC weatherboard on it though but not a great deal. The dormers took the time and effort awkward angles.

NWH

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 03:18:12 pm »
Don’t waste your time with day rates hourly rates it’s hard work way harder than your usual days work.

Smudger

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 03:22:09 pm »
I did a house very similar last year probably 2 more dormers for a regular customer took 3 of us less than a day I got 950 for it,there was a little bit more PVC weatherboard on it though but not a great deal. The dormers took the time and effort awkward angles.

3 of you, jeeze - and you keep saying hot is quicker 😂😂🤣🤣
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Smudger

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 03:26:48 pm »
Take a team of 2 around 3.hrs for a clean and clear plus windows

So yes 6 on your own - you won't want to do anything else that day

Would charge 2x your average window cleaning rate p/h

Example - if you average 35 p/h on standard glass then charge 70 x the six hours = £420

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

lee_dewing

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 03:27:08 pm »

Wow 😳
I was a third of your price

Not saying you’re wrong

Saying I’m maybe more of a mug than I realised 🤦‍♂️

lee_dewing

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 03:32:01 pm »
That’s great Smudger 👍
Much appreciated

Even if I run out of time and do a couple of hours the next day, I can live with that

There’s also a flat roof around the back with
Some moss and puddles it’s above those big patio doors

lee_dewing

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 03:34:42 pm »
He enquired about clearing moss off all roof

Said I didn’t do but he’d be paying £1500 to £2000 guesstimate 😁

He looked at me as if I was mad 🤦‍♂️

You guys might say even more 😁

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 03:36:34 pm »
i dont clear gutters out but id want £300 for the full UPVC clean of outside gutters/fascias/soffits,garage doors,windows,etc......its no more than a 4 HOUR JOB at the very most IMO.....
price higher/work harder!

Smudger

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 03:36:44 pm »
I would include that unless they specifically have asked - be aware if it's a felt/mineral roof the moss may have damaged it - make that clear before you touch it - hopefully a stiff yard broom will get it off followed by a hypo treatment

Darran

Mike Burd

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 03:39:54 pm »
We would charge £250 inc VAT for that & one person would do it in a morning.

lee_dewing

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2021, 03:40:30 pm »
I’ll send him your price Smudger.

I won’t get it and that’s suits 😁👍

Use someone else that’s great

Thanks for the lesson Smudger 😁

Next customer will want a quote on spot cleaning

Eg:  leave that bit, do that bit 😂😭

lee_dewing

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2021, 03:42:46 pm »

Thanks 8 weekly 👍

Any tips on to be that quick 🤔
Thanks lee

NWH

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2021, 03:45:17 pm »
Take a team of 2 around 3.hrs for a clean and clear plus windows

So yes 6 on your own - you won't want to do anything else that day

Would charge 2x your average window cleaning rate p/h

Example - if you average 35 p/h on standard glass then charge 70 x the six hours = £420

Darran
That’s to cheap in my book these threads are hit and miss it all depends what you are earning on windows,if you can easily knock out that for colouring in glass why would you sod about breaking your back doing that.

NWH

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2021, 03:46:06 pm »
You Vat registered and charging peanuts for jobs like that lol,you must work in the dark m8 🤣🤣🤣

NWH

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2021, 03:57:21 pm »
That’s a mornings work and after that morning you’ll be  fit for nothing lol 🧑‍🦼

Mike Burd

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2021, 03:58:06 pm »
You Vat registered and charging peanuts for jobs like that lol,you must work in the dark m8 🤣🤣🤣
Fixed prices. That's no more than 3 hours work unless the gutters are rammed. One of my guys would easily do that in a morning and then do an afternoon's work.

If I was a self employed sole trader I'd charge £400 and take a day.

Mike Burd

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2021, 04:00:30 pm »

Thanks 8 weekly 👍

Any tips on to be that quick 🤔
Thanks lee
In my case I'd have to be 30 years younger.  I'd take all day - well 4-5 hours and charge £400.

Mike Burd

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2021, 04:02:47 pm »
Just noticed the dormers. Probably add £30-£40 if they were grubby. Hard to tell from the pictures.

NWH

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2021, 04:08:12 pm »
That’s a lot of work has anyone noticed the price differences between someone actually cleaning it with 1-2 employees or someone sending a 🐒 along to do it on their own,really can’t understand people doing this kind of thing for no money I suppose it all depends on what you normally earn.

Mike Burd

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2021, 04:17:00 pm »
That’s a lot of work has anyone noticed the price differences between someone actually cleaning it with 1-2 employees or someone sending a 🐒 along to do it on their own,really can’t understand people doing this kind of thing for no money I suppose it all depends on what you normally earn.
How is it no money? 1/2 day's work. Do the maths. Just because it will take you all day, it doesn't mean it will take an employee all day. Unless I told someone to swing the lead, one of my guys would start that at 9 and be finished easily by 12 unless there was a issue with the gutters being rammed.

lee_dewing

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2021, 04:52:31 pm »
I’d say allow 1.5 hrs gutter’s clearing

45 mins flat roof

40 minutes window clean

3+ hrs F/s/g cleaning

So   6hrs 🤔 maybe a bit more
Maybe a bit less

I’ll go in around Smudger’s price 👍

Thanks for all your opinions guys👍

Customer will probably ask next.
“How long will it take?”

Then get angry 😡😁

It will have some aggro somewhere 😭

lee_dewing

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2021, 04:54:15 pm »
Slx
Not a magic wand 😁👍

tlwcs

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2021, 05:03:47 pm »

I’d have rounded it up to a tenner myself

Ched

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2021, 05:06:14 pm »
Customer will probably ask next.
“How long will it take?”

Then get angry 😡😁

It will have some aggro somewhere 😭
I would reply that you are quoting for 6 hrs work, chemicals and equipment but it might take you 10 hrs but you will honour your 6 hr price as you will take the risk  :D . Unless he want's to pay you by the hour and he take the risk it takes longer  ;D ;D ;D?

Smudger

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2021, 05:16:47 pm »
Simple answer is...   

I’ve quoted you to do the work - when finished the place will look spectacular

Say no more

Darran

SB Cleaning

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2021, 05:28:03 pm »
I would have the gutters cleared with a vac in about a hour on that job, fascias would take me 2 hours....dont know what some of you are messing about at, easy job   :D

Mike Burd

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2021, 05:39:14 pm »
I would have the gutters cleared with a vac in about a hour on that job, fascias would take me 2 hours....dont know what some of you are messing about at, easy job   :D
If I was doing that myself though I’d make that the only job I did that day and swing the lead I think. I’m assuming that’s what others would do too. One of my employees would crash through that though.

Smudger

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2021, 05:52:56 pm »
If I was doing that myself though I’d make that the only job I did that day and swing the lead I think. I’m assuming that’s what others would do too. One of my employees would crash through that though.

Same here, I was never the fastest ( well according to some times I've seen here over the years ) but I always aimed to do my best, walk away from a job with satisfaction  - same for the lads, as most are I'm their late 20,s they certainly get through the work

Darran

robbo333

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2021, 05:53:51 pm »
Lee, just stick your price in mate, don't worry about it.  If he asks how long then tell him.
If he doesn't like it, or he thinks he's paying too much, he can get other quotes. Simples.

Personally, I always do the quote then and there, with the customer. For me it's
£x per section of guttering clear out
£Y per section of guttering clean and clear (this will depend on how dirty it is, access etc)
Windows extra
I count up all the sections, write it all down on a piece of paper, add it up, show it all the custy and that's the price!
If he's lucky i'll throw in the garage door and downpipes for free.

PS. I think I saw that you can now buy the drum part of your Atom with the side entry port already fitted!

"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

NWH

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2021, 06:08:38 pm »
Simple answer is...   

I’ve quoted you to do the work - when finished the place will look spectacular

Say no more

Darran

Yeah but at 8 o’clock the phone rings and the customer says where are you I can just see a container outside with half a dozen air holes in it,ah don’t worry Ssssssssir that’ll be the staff 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

NWH

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2021, 06:14:36 pm »
People taking on jobs and doing them for less than you can earn flickin over a few windas tut tut tut,jobs like that if done on a Monday should set you up for the week for a nice plod,always said price jobs up like you’ve got to ladder em and price em up like “you” are cleaning it yourself or you’ll drive prices down in any particular area.
Put it this way if that home owner started to clean all of the above himself he would think 3-400 quid was a bargain,if you get every job you quote you are too cheap.

lee_dewing

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2021, 06:30:22 pm »
Thanks Everyone 👍

Yes Robbo, I’ve heard Atom now has side
Entry 🤦‍♂️

Converted mine October I think with GVS kit

Only + the way I did it gvs supply wider 51 mm suction pipe less blockage’s

Agree Robbo
Easier to price there and then
But I knew if I’d done that and not checked in
With you lot 😊👍

I would have gone in too cheap

And also even if I’d gone with my gut and said £325
Customer would have said something ar5e’y
Or tried to get me to justify my price

I’m not as meek as I seem and be tempted
To be cheeky back 😁

lee_dewing

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2021, 06:37:03 pm »

Why do my images come out sideways 🤦‍♂️

I turned wheelbase at bottom around Robbo
When converted
So easy to drag along 😁still falls over 🤦‍♂️

Tom-01

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2021, 06:51:32 pm »
There’s not actually that much guttering there to clear tbh. Bit more work with the GFS.

I’d email a professional quote on headed PDF outlining exactly what we’d do. Including carry out a CCTV survey to make sure the gutters are clear and to look for any obvious problems, pad out the quote. Send pictures of other GFS you have done.

One person would take about half a day IMO.  I would quote around £350, that’s without seeing it.

If you know any good roofers get them to quote for clearing the roof and add a bit on and take on the whole project you’d probably get about £600 and all you have to do is the work he’s asked you to do.

Be ballsy. Talk like you know what you’re going on about and uses phrases he probably wouldn’t understand (“we make sure to clear all swan necks” is a good one!). Make him feel it is a bit pricey but he has confidence in you.

Smudger

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2021, 06:53:00 pm »
It's because you post after nwh  - his  skewed posts  are effecting your photos 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Smudger

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2021, 06:57:39 pm »
There’s not actually that much guttering there to clear tbh. Bit more work with the GFS.

I’d email a professional quote on headed PDF outlining exactly what we’d do. Including carry out a CCTV survey to make sure the gutters are clear and to look for any obvious problems, pad out the quote. Send pictures of other GFS you have done.

One person would take about half a day IMO.  I would quote around £350, that’s without seeing it.

If you know any good roofers get them to quote for clearing the roof and add a bit on and take on the whole project you’d probably get about £600 and all you have to do is the work he’s asked you to do.

Be ballsy. Talk like you know what you’re going on abouzt and uses phrases he probably wouldn’t understand (“we make sure to clear all swan necks” is a good one!). Make him feel it is a bit pricey but he has confidence in you.
Good advice
Unfortunately this doesn't work for Nigel

deeege

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2021, 07:25:57 pm »
He’s an accountant who sounds like a pain in the arse. Your not getting the job unless your quoting sub £150. Put your price in, forget it and move on.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

NWH

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2021, 08:29:33 pm »
I’d  go in at 50 notes if he’s funny about price you know at the end of the day you’ve got to do it for what the customer wants to pay eh lol,he can be as funny as he likes when I’m looking up for 5-6 hours using all my equipment and water and clicking my neck back to alignment with my clavicles.
Like I say you quote 350 on those kind of jobs you’ll be busy if I’d paid that to have all that cleaned to a good standard I’d think I’d robbed you,that kind of job should be ending up giving you an easy week.