Dazzler3370

Purified water stripping Paint
« on: January 25, 2021, 07:54:17 pm »
Ive lost 2 properties because apparently Purified water is stripping the paint off their wooden window frames. Im not saying it isn't but could somebody explain why this is happening.

Cheers
Dazzler
Dazzler

Bungle

Re: Purified water stripping Paint
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 07:58:38 pm »
I've knackered double glazed windows and made them mist up inside with my pressure system on some houses apparently  ::)roll
We look at them, they look through them.

Splash & dash

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 07:59:08 pm »
I cannot explain it scientifically but yes if it’s old paint and it’s gone chalky it will come off when you clean the frames , I just explain they need re painting  .

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 08:40:06 pm »
As above,

also get "the putty is falling off". - well yes its 30 years old, dry, cracked and loose - how about splashing and doing some maintenance work !

people say the most stupid of things when they don't want to spend money - find the customer excuse thread ( like you've wet my windows and wearing them away..)

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

H2GoKent

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 06:49:23 am »
It's something old trad guys used to say when WFP started being used more on domestic work.
'Oh that brush thing is rubbish it'll have the paint off your frames, and it doesn't do a proper job, blah blah blah' funny how they all wanted advice on how to do it a couple of years later.

If the paint is flaking and split then it might not be noticed from ground level, but the wood underneath is being damaged by the weather and then our brushes might flick at the edge of the flake and it would come off, so in a way we do the householder a favour, they can see their windows need painting  ;D
A manager is generally someone who has been promoted to the position by someone else who didn't see them as a threat.
Hence all people are promoted to the level of their incompetence

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 08:38:11 am »
Ive lost 2 properties because apparently Purified water is stripping the paint off their wooden window frames. Im not saying it isn't but could somebody explain why this is happening.

Cheers
Dazzler

I lost one too years ago(it was a massive house with georgian windows)...

The windows were old and rotten in places....he said wfp wasn't helping...I agreed.he was happy for me to clean them trad but i declined due to the smooth,slippy stone patio...

I've also refused to clean some listed buildings due to rotten wooden frames over the years...I simply say 'give us a call when you ve had them replaced' and hand them a business card.....they never get back to me!😁👍
price higher/work harder!

lal

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 11:21:56 am »

I refused a big old detached house before Christmas, as soon as i pulled up in the van, i knew this
   was a wasted trip, they were very old wooden sash windows, single pane with the paint peeling off
   the frames, the glass looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years.

carl stanton

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 10:19:08 pm »
As said before. What is coming off is the broken down paint that would otherwise just sit on the paint. Or they have use second rate paint, not properly applied and so on. How don’t they cope with rain hammering down on it???

I had a customer recently ask me to stop cleaning “new” Gorgian windows as wearing them. They were painted two years ago but the putty wasn’t properly taken care of.... in my opinion 😊

reflection

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2021, 09:39:06 am »
Some customers just want to blame you for everything.

We got accused of leaving scrapes all over the bonnet of a customers brand new car from pulling my hoses over it to get round the back of the house.
Politely said why would I be pulling hoses over your car we are a traditional window cleaning company and don’t use them.