Stoots

What would you do next ?
« on: January 24, 2021, 01:45:07 pm »
After a bit of advice as i really cant make my mind up whats for the best...

Had to let the lad go who works for me, so now im back on my own.

Problem is i now have 700+ customers and im 2 weeks behind from christmas, in short i have no chance  :D

Now ive already decided that long term i am going to franchise, im getting a new website built and have a franchise contract being put together also.

However thats not going to be something that happens overnight, i figure its going to take time to find my first franchisee, it would be great if i could find someone tomorrow and be able to hand them over a couple of hundred customers off the bat, but the reality of that happening is slim.

So in the mean time i have lots of work, probably in reality at least 200 more than i can handle.

So im not sure whether to employ someone else, it makes sense in that the work gets serviced but im not sure i can be bothered with one just now, the last one stressed me out with constant complaints and damaging my van etc.

i could sell some work off but apart from maybe 1 area of 50 customers the rest is all quite close togther, im not sure i want to let another window cleaner in and amongst my work....

Ideally i would keep the work, find a franchisee and hand it over to them but how long will my customers tolerate being weeks if not a month behind all the time.

The other option i was thinking was to use this opportunity to do a mass price increase, say a couple of quid for every single customer. Maybe more on a dozen or so jobs that are PITAs with the idea that even if i lost 100 of them it would be a big win win situation.

Could also change my round from 4 and 8 weekly to 6 weekly only which will make it easier to manage in the future, then theres the usual dumping all the slow payers, or poor parking etc.

What would you do, make a cream 1 man band round or employ someone else ?  I cant decide but kind of need to soon as my work is going to get further and further behind.

Re: What would you do next ?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 02:00:06 pm »
I'd go 6 weekly with the the price increase. But then that's just at me, a one man band with no plans for expansion be it employing or franchise.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 02:01:02 pm »
From what you’ve said, for you personally, I would say prices rises & then cream off the best of the ones that stay.

For me though, I think I’d try another employee. Hopefully a better one.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 02:01:37 pm »
And yes, go 6 weekly.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 02:32:29 pm »
Employ on the short term, with the chosen employee having the added incentive that he/she would then have the opportunity to take out a franchise package further down the line.

Mike Burd

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 03:22:26 pm »
I'd look at why you aren't finding decent employees. Pay? Are you a difficult boss? Poor interviewing? That's what you need to fix IMO.

NWH

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 03:24:03 pm »
Make every job cream and then only take cream on,once you’ve done that maybe try employing again but because it’s all well paid work if get let down like before you’ll be able to manage it all short term on you’re own.
All this I’ve got multiple workers means nothing if it’s all 10quid jobs.

simon w

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 03:36:39 pm »
Work with your employee as a two man team five/six days a week from 8am to 5pm this way you'll get loads of work done , make plenty of money, won't get complaints or damaged equipment.

richard connett

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 03:46:24 pm »
I’ve gone through the same thing recently. Was the worker as productive as you thought? Maybe going to 6 weeks might be manageable on your own

Always shining

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 03:54:03 pm »
Where are you based Stoots?

Smudger

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 04:57:48 pm »
I'll give you my thoughts -

Firstly, what went wrong with your employee? - that will help to know if you should try this again, having said that I get the impression you don't like the window cleaning business - this will transfer straight to any employee - if you don't care why should they?

if you price increase to achieve your cull - is this not the same as selling? - customers who leave will find another cleaner, so now you let in some one for free, who may undercut you, but also could end up with far less compact rounds

I think 6wky  is the optimum wfp frequency, if I did this all again I'd go 6wky  - but as established I know that 4wky wouldn't want to stretch to 6 and those on 8 will defo not do a shorter frequency

try where possible to re-organise the round prioritise certain areas then fill in with others - get another employee take time to train them to work how YOU want them to - no half measures, in the early days you need to think of them as a child - they have no clue, no common sense show them everything for 2 weeks - then let them loose on their own

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 05:30:39 pm »
After a bit of advice as i really cant make my mind up whats for the best...

Had to let the lad go who works for me, so now im back on my own.

Problem is i now have 700+ customers and im 2 weeks behind from christmas, in short i have no chance  :D

Now ive already decided that long term i am going to franchise, im getting a new website built and have a franchise contract being put together also.

However thats not going to be something that happens overnight, i figure its going to take time to find my first franchisee, it would be great if i could find someone tomorrow and be able to hand them over a couple of hundred customers off the bat, but the reality of that happening is slim.

So in the mean time i have lots of work, probably in reality at least 200 more than i can handle.

So im not sure whether to employ someone else, it makes sense in that the work gets serviced but im not sure i can be bothered with one just now, the last one stressed me out with constant complaints and damaging my van etc.

i could sell some work off but apart from maybe 1 area of 50 customers the rest is all quite close togther, im not sure i want to let another window cleaner in and amongst my work....

Ideally i would keep the work, find a franchisee and hand it over to them but how long will my customers tolerate being weeks if not a month behind all the time.

The other option i was thinking was to use this opportunity to do a mass price increase, say a couple of quid for every single customer. Maybe more on a dozen or so jobs that are PITAs with the idea that even if i lost 100 of them it would be a big win win situation.

Could also change my round from 4 and 8 weekly to 6 weekly only which will make it easier to manage in the future, then theres the usual dumping all the slow payers, or poor parking etc.

What would you do, make a cream 1 man band round or employ someone else ?  I cant decide but kind of need to soon as my work is going to get further and further behind.

if your planning on franchising in the future then its obvious what you need to do.....find another employee and keep building the round until you find a franchisee...give him so much work then start building again and repeat until you have as many franchisees  as you want.....

of course i couldnt be arsed with that myself...so you know what im gonna say Adam! ;D...id just condense the round,get rid of ANY pain in the bum jobs and keep the best work for myself and work an easy,steady 25-30 hours per week 4 or 5 days a week...... 8)..simple,hassle free and straightforward.....
price higher/work harder!

robbo333

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 05:47:29 pm »
I think it depends on how easily you can get new customers.

If it's fairly easy, then I would use this opportunity to cull, price increase and dare I say it...change the lot to 8 weeks.
You will have one beautiful cream of cream round that you can relax with and use a base point on which to build, without panicking or worrying. Because it's easy to get work, you can build from this platform. You may even decide you like working on your own with a cream round!

If it's difficult to get work, then you need to keep as much as you can (in preparation of a franchisee) and I'd be looking for a youngish lad who just wants 6 months work and money (assuming it will take 6 months to find a franchise). With all your customers, someone must know someone! Stick him in the van with you and work as a two man team, just to get you out the current crap, while you take the time to find a proper committed franchisee.

"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Stoots

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2021, 07:38:58 pm »
Yes easy enough to get customers, the hard part is finding someone to clean them  ;D

As for the employee Darren,  multiple complaints (about 20 ), missing windows, marks still on glass, missing sills/doors. Shocking driving skills, hit van 3 times including reversing into someones car and nearly reversing into my truck! not following simple instructions like writing important info on worksheets such as cleaned fronts only or if they had paid, refusing to work friday to catch up on a bad weather day despite this being in the contract. Just generally being a bit Tim nice but Dim.  Not a week went by without some saying he had done something. On top of that he is starting his own round so wouldnt have been  with me much longer regardless.  In fact ive had 2 complaints off him since he left, one cancelled saying last few cleans have had marks on and one just now saying he only cleaned the front despite the gate being open.  ;D

On a positive note he turned up everyday and completed the worksheets.

Thanks guys i think my best option is to find someone else and stick it out until i find a franchisee , probably best to work  2 man to save on hassle and keep any eye on everything even though it probably wont be great financially. Can always send him out on his own the odd day to see what happens  ::)roll If i sell all my work its like going back 6 months.

Think i will still put all prices up as well, or at least put a lot of them up, i might leave the ones that are already priced well.

As for 6 weekly, i dont see the 4s being much of an issue, im always behind anyway...its the 8s that will be harder to convince

JandS

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2021, 08:06:16 pm »
Yep most of the time my 4 weekly round is nearly always 5 weeks and sometimes six.......I tell new customers monthly.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Stoots

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2021, 08:20:35 pm »
Can anyone point me in the direction of how to setup a good employment process ?

rather than just posting on facebook and taking on the first half decent looking person there must be a better way to wittle it down

where do you chaps who employ advertise for staff ?

Splash & dash

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2021, 08:37:38 pm »
Can anyone point me in the direction of how to setup a good employment process ?

rather than just posting on facebook and taking on the first half decent looking person there must be a better way to wittle it down

I have never advertised I have always had someone say that a friend of there’s  is looking for a job or someone I know asks if we have a job going I get quite a few people phone asking if we are looking for staff after finding our web site or seeing the van s working . I don’t think advertising is the best way as some who are unemployed have to apply for so many jobs to keep there benefits , you might have to try a couple of people before you find a good one , don’t let one bad experience put you off , take someone on on a 3 month trial to see what they are like .

Stoots

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2021, 08:49:15 pm »

I have never advertised I have always had someone say that a friend of there’s  is looking for a job or someone I know asks if we have a job going I get quite a few people phone asking if we are looking for staff after finding our web site or seeing the van s working . I don’t think advertising is the best way as some who are unemployed have to apply for so many jobs to keep there benefits , you might have to try a couple of people before you find a good one , don’t let one bad experience put you off , take someone on on a 3 month trial to see what they are like .

Cheers Ive had a few now, i think 4 staff over the last few years.

I will have to try another one.

Ideally i would like a full time guy i can trust to allow me to work part time on the glass and put all my efforts into franchising, but it a dream at this point  ;D

NWH

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2021, 08:59:08 pm »
I’ll offer my 2 pennies just my experience people at the earliest want 6 weekly who are willing to pay good money,4 weekly is estate work who mostly don’t have a big house and don’t want to pay much more than £25.
Of course you’ll get people say I’ve got customers who pay more than that every month-4 weekly but in the main this is not the case,if you are going out cleaning 30-35 houses a day they are not all going to be 50-60 quid houses.
The way to earn well and to build the business  is to extend the frequency charge more money and  clean quality properties,get rid of the jobs you know in your heart of hearts you don’t want to clean and replace them with better jobs, take a gamble and put prices up the increases should cover some jobs you lose but you’ll still be earning more for less work.
You want customers who have money not people who are comparing window cleaning prices with neighbours,stand alone properties who have huge disposable income = more per clean and no quibbling over a few quid.

NWH

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2021, 09:00:48 pm »
And of course hot water 🤣🤣