james stanley

Pf diesel heater
« on: February 03, 2021, 09:29:23 pm »
16 flashes .... anyone know the fault ... heater works ok but occasionally get this ... bizzare ?

Ched

Re: Pf diesel heater
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 10:14:48 pm »
According to this https://www.jpcdirect.com/webasto-heater-fault-codes-a-guide/
code 16 = exhaust gas too high. So could be restricted exhaust, sooting on exhaust temp sensor, maybe even burner need replacing.

dazmond

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 11:02:24 pm »
16 flashes .... anyone know the fault ... heater works ok but occasionally get this ... bizzare ?

When was the last time you had the burner and glow pin replaced?

I'd also check that the exhaust outlet isn't clogged up with anything...
price higher/work harder!

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 09:08:08 am »

What fuel are you using?
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

NWH

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 09:42:37 am »
It makes a difference I always use premium diesel in the van hence also the heater.

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 09:32:22 am »
It makes a difference I always use premium diesel in the van hence also the heater.

It would be interesting to find out if he is using 'gas oil' and which brand he is using if he is.

The canal boats had lots of problems with Webasto (and all the others) sooting up with carbon around 12 years ago. Webasto ran tests and concluded the same diesel heater run on road diesel didn't soot up like it did run on red diesel supplied by the inland marinas.

Since then the quality of diesel has improved due to regulation. However, the last time I heard, lower quality red diesel was still available for sale on coastal marinas because these boats would be out at sea.

There is a Youtube video of a farmer cleaning the carbon out of his Thermo90 on his tractor. He appears to be quite skilled at it. I did wonder if this was something he did regularly and if so, was it fuel related?

A local Jet service station close to us is now selling gas oil. I have asked myself the question if I should contemplate adding a second tank for my heater.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

NWH

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 10:11:04 am »
Premium diesel as you know Spruce has cleaning agents in it I’ve always used it,when I took my old burner out it was not coked up I only had a few small lumps of build up 👶 baby teeth sized.

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 03:33:08 pm »

It would be interesting to find out if he is using 'gas oil' and which brand he is using if he is.

The canal boats had lots of problems with Webasto (and all the others) sooting up with carbon around 12 years ago. Webasto ran tests and concluded the same diesel heater run on road diesel didn't soot up like it did run on red diesel supplied by the inland marinas.

Since then the quality of diesel has improved due to regulation. However, the last time I heard, lower quality red diesel was still available for sale on coastal marinas because these boats would be out at sea.

There is a Youtube video of a farmer cleaning the carbon out of his Thermo90 on his tractor. He appears to be quite skilled at it. I did wonder if this was something he did regularly and if so, was it fuel related?

A local Jet service station close to us is now selling gas oil. I have asked myself the question if I should contemplate adding a second tank for my heater.

i just use normal garage diesel  but my burner  was so coked up after 3 years he said its  the worst he d ever seen according to the webasto engineer at the boatyard in Middlewich.....
price higher/work harder!

NWH

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 04:04:51 pm »
Not returning it back to tank will do that as well you are powering it on and off otherwise.