Window Washers

ladders are not dangerous ???? << Warning
« on: March 02, 2011, 12:26:21 am »
For those who think ladders are not dangerous.

I have just lost a good freind today that said the same thing ladders are not dangerous, less than 10ft off a ladder, he leaves 5 kids with no dad!

he died a few hours ago from head injurys so when thinking you know it all and you are safe on ladders think again, remember accidents do happen and they could happen to you.

Be clever and work safe!

Ian
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

supernova77

Re: ladders are not dangerous ???? << Warning
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 12:39:30 am »
Really sorry to hear about your friend Ian :(

Andy

prestige cleaners

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 01:41:29 am »
Condolences to you and his family. Rip.

ian1972

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 06:35:47 am »
What part of country that pal?

Paul Coleman

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 06:41:45 am »

I have just lost a good freind today that said the same thing ladders are not dangerous, less than 10ft off a ladder, he leaves 5 kids with no dad!

he died a few hours ago from head injurys so when thinking you know it all and you are safe on ladders think again, remember accidents do happen and they could happen to you.

Be clever and work safe!

Ian

So sorry to hear of your friend Ian.
I do know how easily it can happen.
A guy I know had a serious head injury some years ago due to a fall.  It didn't kill him but it stopped him working for a while and slowed him down - including his speech.  He's younger than me but had to pack up work completely a couple of years ago.  This was all the more poignant because it happened barely half a mile from where I live.

JSMC

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 07:18:21 am »
i reckon it will be compulsory to wear head gear soon enough when on ladders. BT guys and sky guys are doing it already i am sure.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 07:49:10 am »
Deepest condolences Ian.

gr cleaning solutions

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 08:10:43 am »
Sorry to hear about your friend also really feel for the kids
         Gavin

Johnny B

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 08:22:14 am »
Deepest condolences to you, and his loved ones.

John.
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Llaaww

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 08:48:17 am »
I am sorry to hear that you have lost your good friend.

Thanks for the warning.

I would like to add a further bit of advice.

I used ladders safely for many years before starting with wfp. I still carry ladders for the rare occasions that I still need them. Since going wfp 4 yrs ago, I have had three near misses and slips with my ladders, compared to the 1 that I had in the previous 18.

I have decided that over the time that I have been using wfp I have lost the edge of the awareness that you need when using them. It is easy to think that you are well able to use ladders safely, but from experience, I have learned that without regular practice, something is lost and they do seem to become a hazzard/accident waiting to happen.

WFP boys take extra care on the rare occasion that you use ladders.

if it is dirty it is fair game

Jake Kelly

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 09:37:25 am »
So sorry to hear that, i think i speak for us all when i say that our thoughts and best wishes are with the relatives and most of all the children.

It just shows, mistakes can be made, and things need to be taken more seriously.

Rick Ward

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 10:08:00 am »
I know of a local window cleaner dying a couple of years ago; a mate of mine died falling off a roof; someone else I know can hardly walk after shattering his ankles- I do trad but I guess there's alot to be said for wfp when you sit back and think. I also have worked on oil platforms abseiling (blasting etc) and everyone says how dangerous it must be yet there has never been a recorded death from it anywhere in the world (when following rope access techniques) yet nobody ever says how dangerous window cleaning must be  to me and I've been at it 20 yrs
So sorry to hear about it Ian, my heart bleeds for the poor kids

Window Washers

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 12:33:03 pm »
if this post just makes one person think just a little more than it has done it's purpose.

Thanks for all the messages guys.

Ian
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 02:10:59 pm »
Very sad indeed.
Makes you feel like telling those customers who don't like wfp to get lost. Your safety is more important than keeping every single person happy

Jista

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 04:33:20 pm »

Be clever and work safe!

Ian

So sorry m8 :-(

MNWC

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 05:04:42 pm »
Really sorry Ian

Marcus

prestige cleaners

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 05:15:14 pm »
re llaaws point, i too use ladders 1% of the time (gutter cleans) but ive started wearing a helmet, i still know when im up there, that if i fall off, im still going to either break an arm, leg, or back, so it still scares me. cant wait to get a guttervac.

J.D

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 05:20:13 pm »
Hi folks. Nat at ACS cleaning forum just highlighted this on the forum! This really hits home, we all take ladder work so much for granted & sometimes forget how lethal working with ladders actually is! I rarely use my ladders now, since going WFP, but ill remember this when i do next use them! RIP

Dave66

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 06:12:35 pm »
they should be banned..end of
plenty of cream...plenty of sugar!

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 06:30:32 pm »
they should be banned..end of

its impractical to ban ladders, but I think you should be licensed to use them!
Sorry to hear about your friend Ian, thoughts go out to his friends and family.

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 06:45:00 pm »
Very sad indeed.
Makes you feel like telling those customers who don't like wfp to get lost. Your safety is more important than keeping every single person happy

I already have told them that, though I was a bit more polite about it.
I even said to one guy that I would rather the water make a mess on his windows than my blood make a mess on his patio. He thought I was joking.  I guess he found out I wasn't when I didn't return.

George P

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 08:40:50 pm »
very sad to hear of your loss of a good friend, condolonces to you and his family, its always worth telling people about safety over preferance of ladders,
george

Frankybadboy

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 08:45:07 pm »
so sorry to hear this ian. :o

Darranvps

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 09:14:14 pm »
Deepest Condolences to his family.

MJHolmes

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 09:22:44 pm »
Deepest Condolences to his family..... :( I use ladders where i only need to use them, other wise use a long pole to do windows but not the wfp system, been doing i now for 10 months  and had no complaints from my customers using the pole so i must be doing a good job using it....so i cut my risk down id say to only using the ladder 10% of the time to clean...i always explain to the customer what i will be doing as long as you do most are ok with it....I will defo be using a hard hat now.......

richywilts

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 10:16:33 pm »
ian thats terrible news sorry to hear that, send my condolonces, if he was a window cleaner maybe we could all set up a little fund to donate too to pass on to help with the five children he leaves.
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

Steve_c

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2011, 12:06:48 am »
I am sorry to hear that you have lost your good friend.

Thanks for the warning.

I would like to add a further bit of advice.

I used ladders safely for many years before starting with wfp. I still carry ladders for the rare occasions that I still need them. Since going wfp 4 yrs ago, I have had three near misses and slips with my ladders, compared to the 1 that I had in the previous 18.

I have decided that over the time that I have been using wfp I have lost the edge of the awareness that you need when using them. It is easy to think that you are well able to use ladders safely, but from experience, I have learned that without regular practice, something is lost and they do seem to become a hazzard/accident waiting to happen.

WFP boys take extra care on the rare occasion that you use ladders.

Yes totaly agree with you i was only trad part time and had very few customers. I hated ladders as i knew i was going WFP when i went full time. Still have to use them on a odd job an you do lose touch. I feel for those kids very very sad news.

Robert Lamb

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2011, 02:30:30 am »
Ian,

So sorry to hear about your friend. I am one of those who had a bad fall and and survived. I am also now a paraplegic with constant pain because of that fall seven years ago. I was about 18' up when I fell.

My  condolences to you and your friend's family and friends.

Rob Lamb
Marion, Kentucky, USA

Paul Coleman

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2011, 07:14:22 am »
Very sad indeed.

Ironic isn't it?  The day after this post appears I get a phone call from a longstanding customer cancelling.  The cancellation was due to alleged scratches on the glass supposedly caused by a very soft bristled WFP brush.  I don't doubt there may have been scratches but not from my brush.  Such marks are often on glass prior to installation and I suspect that this was an excuse rather than a reason.  He told me that he was going with his neighbour's window cleaner because he will clean his gutters out and because he uses traditional methods for window cleaning.  I did point out that he had never actually asked me to clean his gutters and that gutter vacuum equipment exists.

This house, like many on the estate, is one of those that has a sloping, tiled roof above the ground floor.  It is necessary to walk on tiles to get to the upper floor windows if cleaning the traditional way.  Tile breakage is unlikely because they aren't old houses and the tiles are those largish "pan" tiles that seem stronger than most.  I have been working on this estate for at least 15 years and used to dread it in the winter before switching to WFP.  This was because many of the tiles got mossy (particularly the north facing) and when wet they were lethal.  Also, if there was ice on the tiles they were quite dangerous.  I was even thinking of packing the jobs in around the time that I found out about WFP.  In very cold weather, I even used to work it so that I did these houses in the afternoon when hopefully the tiles were drier.

I'm not saying that this person is a bad customer.  They have always been OK.  Never messed me about.  Paid within a reasonable time frame.  I think it's more about a lack of awareness of the issues involved.  I don't expect them to be aware of the issues because they probably have never needed to work at height.

I would have liked the opportunity to inspect the scratches though.  Although I'm sure they weren't caused by me, I would have like to have seen them in order to be totally certain.  I can't be that bad.  I cleaned there for maybe 12 years.

I suspect that the real problem is that the woman is rarely there when I clean but she was a couple of cleans ago.  Maybe she wasn't aware that I left the glass wet until then.  I could be wrong of course.

I just hope the traditional cleaner who is taking over from me knows what he is doing.  I wouldn't want someone hurting themself or getting killed.  The trouble is, on jobs like that you can be fine for years then one day, you fail to notice a bit of wet moss or an icy patch and that's your lot.