*paul_moss

Air brush for Leather
« on: February 29, 2008, 10:17:19 pm »
Shaun re our last phone conversation. I thought I would post this as a few guys have asked. This is a great cheap air gun which is mid range and great to use with a silent compresor at a customers house.
 It can be used for small to med size repairs.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290204773137
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

*paul_moss

Re: Air brush for Leather
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 10:19:42 pm »
Just to add their phone number is at the bottom if you want one instead of going through ebay.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

LTT Leathercare

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 10:37:47 pm »
We have always found these gravity fed airbrushes to be not as effective as the very cheap Badger air brushes which do not get blocked up and are very easy to clean.  Although small they do a brilliant job and can be used either off a compressor or an air can.

The more complex the air brush the more they get blocked and the harder they are to clean out.
http://www.lttleathercare.co.uk
Leather Consultant to the Furniture and Cleaning Industry
Leather Cleaning, Care and Restoration products and services
AMU
IICRC (LCT)
NCCA
SLTC

Deep Clean Newcastle Gateshead

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 10:39:59 pm »
Found the Badger ones are getting clogged up with brit, even though they are fully clean any one else found this
Aidan
Northumberland, Newcastle & Gateshead Carpet Cleaning
http://www.deepclean-uk.co.uk

*paul_moss

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 10:49:18 pm »
Yep the badger do get clogged up as they are not gravity fed. I have a couple of very expensive air brushes and they will still clog using the wrong pigments. This air brush I have tried for a couple of weeks now and is very, very good all rounder at a price that is cheap. And no clogging. :D
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 10:59:28 pm »
Although not meant as an advert nor a dig Judy as I haven't used your dyes but Ben's new set of dyes seem to clog less than the last lot but I think the badger spray guns don't spray as even as I'd like, the one Paul used at his home when I went to his was a far nicer and even spread but it could just be a personal thing as these things usually are.

Shaun

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 11:14:32 pm »
Just put an order on with them, so I will feed back on what my thoughts of the brush are once I have used it

LTT Leathercare

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 11:18:26 pm »
It all depends on how you clean them.  BRIT product is one of the thinnest products so there is absolutely no reason for them to clog up.  Bonded products tend to clog them up more but these can generally be diluted by up to 10% with water to make them easier to use.
Part of our course does explain how to keep them in good order and they should last for a long time.  Gravity fed ones are far more complex and harder to clean.

If you clean your airbrush straight through after use with Remover 3 and always keep 2 spare bottles in your kit one with water and one with solvent they take very little caring for.  The ones we use in our workshop have been on the go for many years and still work perfectly.  We have tested air brushes right through the range up to the very expesnive ones and have always returned to the simple ones.

We also find that the gravity fed ones waste an awful lot of product.  We can use the Badger with a quarter of an inch of product directly from a mixing cup if it is only for a minor touch up so do not need to mix much product for the job.
AMU
IICRC (LCT)
NCCA
SLTC

*paul_moss

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 11:39:48 pm »
The feed of the gun has no play on quantity of liquid used, I have gravity fed air guns with a dispensing chamber the size of a thimble. The real test of use is defined by constant flow and spray pattern. The cheap badger uses a nozzle size of 1.0 which I find too big for light repairs and can also cause spitting. For light/small areas a nozzle of 0.25 is best,the gun I showed has a nozzle of 0.30 which is just right for small to med jobs, but would take too long for suites or very large areas. The other thing to take into acount of is the constant psi and a decent compressor is a must to have a consistant air pressure, airosols are not very good and work out too expnsive,but are a good stand by for emergency use.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

*paul_moss

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 11:50:17 pm »
Found the Badger ones are getting clogged up with brit, even though they are fully clean any one else found this
Aidan

If that is the case, it is not the air brush or the cleaning that is the issue as if the brush/jets were not clean or blocked then it would not spary at all.
When you say the Brit pigment gets clogged, do you mean it works at first then spits,and long sliters of formed paint comes out before it then sprays again,because if so it is the pigment that is the problem and not the spray gun.
Try Furniture Clinics PU pigment and finish, you will find this will not happen. :)
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 11:59:47 pm »
Thanx Paul, thats whats happening, the same air brush is fine when I use the finish. Linda, could it be the last lot of white brit I got as never had a problem before I ran out of the white.

*paul_moss

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 12:08:09 am »
Linda ? Judy ? Andy?, how many people post on here for Ltt. I can see why now there is so much difference on the quality of the posts. ::)
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 12:13:21 am »
woops, sorry I mean Judy, just been talking to a friend called Linda on msn at the same time.
SORRY!!!

*paul_moss

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 12:16:09 am »
You naughty boy  ;D ;)
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

Mike Halliday

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 07:23:06 am »
have I just made a mistake by buying a spray gun with the container underneath the gun ( not gravity fed)

this one
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

carpet guy

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 08:06:49 am »
Your gun looks like a very robust and superior quality, only problem might be wastage of product, but you could still use it off site for bigger areas.

You can go all the way down to the tiny guns from Art Supply shops which run off aerosol cans and still get the required result, after all, the majority of repair work is small areas.

rob

LTT Leathercare

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 08:59:26 am »
We have been using BRIT through a simple Badger Airbrush for 5 years without a problem and we have tried lots of other products which don't work any better (often worse). 
AMU
IICRC (LCT)
NCCA
SLTC

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 09:00:30 am »
NICE COMPRESSOR @ ALDI
STAY YOUNG HAVE FUN BE HAPPY xx
www.carpetcleanersbridlington.co.uk

Ben Staerck

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2008, 09:23:22 am »
You should use paint strainers - not only do they give you a nicer finish, but they remove all the bits that might block up an air brush.

I never use a badger as they construction of it is very poor. I prefer to use a slightly larger brush, although it is still an airbrush.