Stoots

It's frozen
« on: December 08, 2022, 08:36:13 am »
Haha

Defrosted all gear this morning. Got to first job turned water on no problems.

Pulled out 50m of hose started to clean and water slowed, stopped and the whole lot is now frozen. Gear slung back in van

What to do now  :D

deeege

Re: It's frozen
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 08:43:54 am »
Heater in van and will try from about 10am.

Not really comfortable leaving trails of ice all over the paths  on todays work at these temps.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

NWH

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 08:45:33 am »
Get the water flowing and then make sure you empty the hose if you want to attempt working tomorrow,if this was to happen a couple of weeks a year you’d lose the cost of a heater in earnings in a lot of cases.
Spoke to a guy last week when it wasn’t that cold moaning about the hose trying to get off the reel because it was like wire.

NWH

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 08:48:22 am »
I have salt in the back of the van that I put down over the access points to the property that I do,I always ask if I can do near the doors as some people don’t like treading it indoors.
Univalves come into there own in this weather also as you can minimise what’s splashing about over paths etc between windows.

deeege

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 08:52:18 am »
-3 here with wind chill of -6. Too cold to work on residential with hot or cold imo. Perfectly happy to wait an hour.

This is the first time I’ve lost a single £ to cold weather in almost 4 years, hardly an issue is it  ;D
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 09:02:35 am »
Haha

Defrosted all gear this morning. Got to first job turned water on no problems.

Pulled out 50m of hose started to clean and water slowed, stopped and the whole lot is now frozen. Gear slung back in van

What to do now  :D

What I used to do when I was a cold water cleaner in this weather is take an extra flask of hot water with me.

Used it for defrosting jets.you ll find that's what's stopped your water flow.

I'm off today as I'm going to Manchester for a meal with the missus this afternoon followed by the Lion King at the Palace theatre! 8)
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2022, 09:09:21 am »
Heater in van and will try from about 10am.

Not really comfortable leaving trails of ice all over the paths  on todays work at these temps.

I always have a sweeping brush and ice melt grit in the van in this weather.i also tend to cloth doors rather than use the pole unless their really dirty.

I also offer to grit sloping driveways,paths, etc to some of my elderly customers just as common courtesy really...

Stoots

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2022, 09:10:12 am »
I brought a 25l barrel with hot tap water in I've managed to defrost my reel now.

25ft pole is frozen solid but my 18 is working . Done 2 houses now 1st one every window sheet of ice lol but 2nd one was fine.

Sun's shining but still minus 2 according to van.

Will crack on then  ;D

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2022, 09:16:38 am »
I brought a 25l barrel with hot tap water in I've managed to defrost my reel now.

25ft pole is frozen solid but my 18 is working . Done 2 houses now 1st one every window sheet of ice lol but 2nd one was fine.

Sun's shining but still minus 2 according to van.

Will crack on then  ;D

Have a good day Adam.... :)

Smudger

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2022, 11:16:01 am »
We used to use ice melt/rock salt on customers paths - then got a complaint that the custard walked it into their house and ruined the carpet - now front doors are trad in this weather and if it’s in the minus temp wise then we have a day off

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2022, 12:07:34 pm »
We used to use ice melt/rock salt on customers paths - then got a complaint that the custard walked it into their house and ruined the carpet - now front doors are trad in this weather and if it’s in the minus temp wise then we have a day off

Darran

I never grit unless I've agreed to do it as some customers don't want you to!

Jonny 87

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2022, 12:17:06 pm »
Started at 8:30 as normal today. -4 degrees.  :o

Doors get cleaned trad, and I use the expensive easy melt de icer on any puddles I leave on risky areas. They are very few and far between though.

Forecast is sub zero for two weeks up here in Scotland.

I had to get the hot water system up and running first thing at home because the hose would have froze on the ground. Once verything is warm then work is no problem, you just have to manage the ice.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

dazmond

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2022, 12:25:41 pm »

Doors get cleaned trad, and I use the expensive easy melt de icer on any puddles I leave on risky areas. They are very few and far between though.

I had to get the hot water system up and running first thing at home because the hose would have froze on the ground. Once verything is warm then work is no problem, you just have to manage the ice.

I always fire up my boiler straight after starting the van just before I drive to my first job of the day....

By the time I've got to my first job my hose reel is hot 🔥 🙂

Jonny 87

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2022, 12:35:20 pm »

I always fire up my boiler straight after starting the van just before I drive to my first job of the day....

It’s a necessity in this weather. Nothing worse than having all the gear and getting stumped because of a lump of ice in the pole hose or jet. It’s happened to me too many times to admit.  ;D
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

dazmond

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2022, 12:46:19 pm »

It’s a necessity in this weather. Nothing worse than having all the gear and getting stumped because of a lump of ice in the pole hose or jet. It’s happened to me too many times to admit.  ;D

I do it all year round(in the same order)

Start van
Fire up boiler
Drive to my first job

Stoots

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2022, 04:07:36 pm »
Everytime the weather is like this i consider buying  a heated system but when i do the maths i would have to be forced off work for like 3 months to pay for itself. Then the cost of maintenance and diesel to run it daily would never really be worth it.

I managed to get all my work done in the end today although i did nearly break my neck on a puddle i had created on a customers path this morning.

deeege

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2022, 04:25:41 pm »
My thoughts exactly. Imo at temps of -3 or less, it’s the leaving puddles of ice that’s the problem and having hot doesn’t solve that problem.

NWH

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2022, 06:01:37 pm »
You want to do the maths again then Stoots if you can’t afford a diesel heater.

Dazzler3370

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2022, 06:46:00 pm »
If Cost is an issue just fit a immersion Element.
Dazzler

windowswashed

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2022, 06:46:36 pm »
Can still work in minus five, minus six tomorrow, so nowhere with steps!